Tips and Hints By Those That Have Cruised Explora Journey

Sthrngary

Hello:

As my first cruise is coming closer, I hope to gain some strategy from those that have traveled before me. Over the many years that I have cruised, someone much wiser then I will ever be gave me an approach.  They said, "All cruises and brands have issues.  Some more disappointing then others.  If you know the potential issues, you can have a strategy that it won't happen to you. This almost makes it that the issue does not exist in your world."

The truth is, some things, we simply can not have a strategy to avoid.  Example: I cruise another brand.  They are know to skip more ports of calls then other brands.  Since you can't avoid this because it is totally out of our control, you education your cruising guest that there is a high likelihood it might happen. If it does not happen, your expectations are exceeded.  If it does happen, you are disappointed but no so much that your vacation is effected to badly. This to me is setting realistic expectations. 

That is my setup to this request.  What tips and hints can you share that will make cruising with Explora Journey that much better.  Things that you learned to avoid, or approaches that worked for you.  I promise after my February 2025 cruise, I will provide a post with my list to pay back your education on this topic.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

I'm anxiously following as well.  Booked for November and am hoping for the best but aware of so many things that may make this a one and done for us.  Disappointing because you only get one chance to make a milestone birthday special.  If not for the large cancellation penalty, we would have done something else!  Hoping to hear anything else that we need to know to properly set expectations!  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Arizona Travelers said:

I'm anxiously following as well.  Booked for November and am hoping for the best but aware of so many things that may make this a one and done for us.  Disappointing because you only get one chance to make a milestone birthday special.  If not for the large cancellation penalty, we would have done something else!  Hoping to hear anything else that we need to know to properly set expectations!  

@Arizona Travelers I am the OP for this post.  I too am cruising EJ for what I would call a milestone trip.  This will be the first and last cruise for my older sister.  I choose EJ for a reason.  I have taken over 30 Plus Cruises.  I have done many brands, categories, stateroom types and VIP sections.  I studied the brand, asked questions of those that cruised it, watched the adjustments to the original concept over time.  There is nothing I have read or seen that tell me to not go on this cruise brand.  

Remember, every cruise, on every brand is about what we want to make of it.  Knowing the in's/out's can change the outcome.  Avoiding things that you know are not for you if possible is the key.  Especially a new brand.  Still, No cruise I have ever gone on was perfect.  That is the nature of cruising.  So let us all study, learn and have a strategy.  Share what you learn with others so everyone has a great time especially for a milestone cruise.

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@Arizona Travelers I am the OP for this post.  I too am cruising EJ for what I would call a milestone trip.  This will be the first and last cruise for my older sister.  I choose EJ for a reason.  I have taken over 30 Plus Cruises.  I have done many brands, categories, stateroom types and VIP sections.  I studied the brand, asked questions of those that cruised it, watched the adjustments to the original concept over time.  There is nothing I have read or seen that tell me to not go on this cruise brand.  

Remember, every cruise, on every brand is about what we want to make of it.  Knowing the in's/out's can change the outcome.  Avoiding things that you know are not for you if possible is the key.  Especially a new brand.  Still, No cruise I have ever gone on was perfect.  That is the nature of cruising.  So let us all study, learn and have a strategy.  Share what you learn with others so everyone has a great time especially for a milestone cruise.

Very well said, we first became interested in Explora when we were sailing MSC (pre-Covid) and met Ken Muskat who gushed about a "yacht club only ship".  I think that's where my husband has been mislead as that's not the experience I expect.  We have also cruised a lot, only a few brands and all mass market lines before.  I am mostly concerned with influencers/TA's as I've seen several post about being on the second leg of our trip.  Not sure how to avoid that or any strategies to not let that distract from the experience.  I will definitely report back (hopefully with positive news and any tips) when we return. 

My DH and I are sailing in December and it will be first time with Explora.  i have sailed on almost 100 cruises starting with my HS graduation present on the Oceanic.  We love Seabourn and Crystal.  That being said, we both hate the MDR,  On Crystal, as we are always in the suites that allow unlimited dining in the alternate restaurants, we avail ourselves of that.  We do not like dining in a MDR.  This is the appeal of Explora.  Lots of choices and choice is good.  I think we will like it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cruisr said:

My DH and I are sailing in December and it will be first time with Explora.  i have sailed on almost 100 cruises starting with my HS graduation present on the Oceanic.  We love Seabourn and Crystal.  That being said, we both hate the MDR,  On Crystal, as we are always in the suites that allow unlimited dining in the alternate restaurants, we avail ourselves of that.  We do not like dining in a MDR.  This is the appeal of Explora.  Lots of choices and choice is good.  I think we will like it.

You will love it

We too have been on over 100  Cruises over the last 40 years and will be returning in January to EJ for our 2nd EJ cruise with lots of excitement.  It is a great cruise

Enjoy have fun

• Like 1

OK - first “insider” tip!  Fantastic shellfish 🦪 bar at dinner in the Emporium Marketplace!

Before working out at the gym(!), we would go there when they opened at 6:30 for oysters, shrimp, mussels and champagne 🥂….

We would then shower, have cocktails and head to dinner!

IMG_6939.jpeg

IMG_6938.jpeg

IMG_6937.jpeg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Arizona Travelers said:

Very well said, we first became interested in Explora when we were sailing MSC (pre-Covid) and met Ken Muskat who gushed about a "yacht club only ship".  I think that's where my husband has been mislead as that's not the experience I expect.  We have also cruised a lot, only a few brands and all mass market lines before.  I am mostly concerned with influencers/TA's as I've seen several post about being on the second leg of our trip.  Not sure how to avoid that or any strategies to not let that distract from the experience.  I will definitely report back (hopefully with positive news and any tips) when we return. 

@Arizona Travelers Here is my story, and I am sticking to it.  This is a long reply, it is labor day and I am a bit bored.

When I research a cruise brand prior to going on it, I use Goggle, YouTube, CruiseCritic.com and Reddit.  I am a routine person because after retirement, I need to keep my brain active on something so cruises becomes that something. 

Every single morning, after emails, online bill paying, downloading my bank data I do my daily cruise dive.  Did the prices change on my cruises booked, what is being said on the social media for my cruise and what new YouTube video's on the cruise I am going on have been released.  I love this stuff and do notes.  I keep all the information to myself because my wife hates me talking about cruising.  However, it allows me to create my plan/strategy.

Several years ago, I wanted to do what I call a "Luxury Cruise Test Drive".  It was just after covid was opening cruising again. I studied to the finest detail, Crystal Cruises.  I booked a Crystal Cruise went with my wife, canceled the first cruise because my wife actually got covid, went 45 days later.  Got two cabin upgrades to the second best suite on the ship.  I learned a lot and most importantly, the real difference in going up in cruise brand class was "Personalized Service". Being treated like a person vs. a number.  The food was much better, the entertainment was not so great, and the energy on the ship was very subdued. The ships were smaller, the crowds were less, and it seemed way less rushed. This sold me on Luxury Cruising. Yet, it also sold me on avoiding things other much more experienced cruisers of the brand established as issues. 

As I have been learning about EJ, which is obviously a leap of faith, both positive and negative information has been presented. Example, the champagne that is complementary at embarkment, has been down graded. I had a really nice bottle of champagne when I booked a NCL Haven Owners Suite, and it was nice to have but did nothing for my experience.  I have had sparkling cheap wine on mainstream cruises and gave it away.  This was obviously a cost cutting approach by EJ.  Got it, no issue for me.  Next I heard the menu in the "For Extra Cost Dining Experience" has changed on EJ.  Yet another cost cutting issue, and when I travel Oceania, they have a similar experience.  Again, not important to me, but important to some.  

Yet when I look at what I really want, I see improvement.  A day bed on the Balcony, lots of water lounge area's so if one is filled you have choices.  I love the concept of the "Kind of Buffett" but not really Buffett.  I could careless about big shows and EJ just hired a new cruise director to up the entertainment to be more traditional.  I consider that a shift based on guest feedback. 

So what is my point. By doing my research it is pretty clear this is a luxury experience with a brand that wants to make a name for themselves.  It is not perfect yet the initial fares are some what reasonable. Months of doing this has sold me that my decision of a leap of faith is well founded. Allow me to add, the number of influencers and TA have greatly reduced.  Those folks would never influence me anyway.  My needs are my needs and knowing the good, bad and ugly creates my strategy.  Influencers tend to say everything is lovely and rarely share the area's of improvement.  Travel Agents do cabin tours.  

I promise, as more changed happen, I will write about them.  My hopes are other will do the same.  When things like hidden amenities are uncovered, I hope other will write about them. All of this will and has always created Realistic Expectations for my cruise vacations making them much better at the end.  This is the reason I am active on this and other social media sources.  I want the best possible vacation, life is too short. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Arizona Travelers said:

.  I am mostly concerned with influencers/TA's as I've seen several post about being on the second leg of our trip.  Not sure how to avoid that or any strategies to not let that distract from the experience.  I will definitely report back (hopefully with positive news and any tips) when we return. 

Took me a day to respond ... whereas I enjoyed my YC cruises, EJ is on a entirely different level. There's simply no comparison.  

Don't worry about TA's and influencers.... there were some on our past sailings but not really noticeable except on the odd occasion.  Some were, in fact, really interesting and you just ignored the others.

If you look at my signature, I've sailed on everything from converted ferries to 100 passenger expedition ships and everything in between.  Stop worrying .... Explora is the real deal!

I fully agree with Gary on this one .... have realistic expectations but it's pretty darn special!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Took me a day to respond ... whereas I enjoyed my YC cruises, EJ is on a entirely different level. There's simply no comparison.  

Don't worry about TA's and influencers.... there were some on our past sailings but not really noticeable except on the odd occasion.  Some were, in fact, really interesting and you just ignored the others.

If you look at my signature, I've sailed on everything from converted ferries to 100 passenger expedition ships and everything in between.  Stop worrying .... Explora is the real deal!

I fully agree with Gary on this one .... have realistic expectations but it's pretty darn special!

WELL SAID

6 minutes ago, don731 said:

We’re onboard Explora 1 in February as well.  Love to follow the compare and contrast with other similar lines.  Following this thread with great interest.

What date do you sail

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 10:31 PM, Dr. Cocktail said:

OK - first “insider” tip!  Fantastic shellfish 🦪 bar at dinner in the Emporium Marketplace!

Looks great! I've seen some photos where they have Alaskan crab legs at the raw bar. Did you notice any on your cruise? Also, was there any mention as to where the oysters were from? I would think it might be challenging for them to get good, fresh seafood options to have on hand, but hoping they will have the crab legs on my cruise next winter.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, joseph123 said:

Also, was there any mention as to where the oysters were from? I would think it might be challenging for them to get good, fresh seafood options to have on hand

When we were on this time last year the oysters were sourced from France - and were available throughout our 3 weeks onboard. They were very nice and juicy/tasty 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, joseph123 said:

Looks great! I've seen some photos where they have Alaskan crab legs at the raw bar. Did you notice any on your cruise? Also, was there any mention as to where the oysters were from? I would think it might be challenging for them to get good, fresh seafood options to have on hand, but hoping they will have the crab legs on my cruise next winter.

Sorry ... no crab legs.  There were various fresh grilled fish options.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, joseph123 said:

We also hit the Raw Bar every night at 6:30 for pre dinner drinks and appetizers. They’ve had king crab legs on alternating nights on both of my cruises. Shrimp was on  offer the other nights and raw Oysters every night. I wish they had horseradish for their cocktail sauce. 

• Like 1