No more Simply More

Jancruz

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

There is NO reason to do this, now that it is included, except that it makes you feel good.

It creates a culture among the workers that it is never enough. There is always the one that is tipping more.

I posted that on our last cruise, 2 weeks ago, a guy was standing outside his cabin, handing out money to any staff that came by. It was outrageous.

In the carrib last year, saw multiple people handing out tips for chairs, towels, drinks.

But the prize goes to those that take their stateroom attendants to the store and get them whatever they want.

Forgot to mention the lady that supports her buttlers family in India. She was more than happy to talk about it during specialty dining. She felt very good about it and very proud. 

Yes probably all American.

Just one word ‘CRASS’!

Maybe they know no better. 
Better to ‘give’ without the ‘publicity’!

Different cultures!

Some have no ‘class’.

• Like 4

Why is that what some people "see" tend to fit their narrative? Oddly enough some of this stuff I've never seen.

My take on this is I don't care how other people spend their money, I tip who I want, when I want. I've never taken auto grats off on a cruise, sometimes tip our room stewards, sometimes not, depends on the job they do. Same for waiters and bartenders, sometimes we tip them extra, sometimes not. I certainly don't do it to feel better about myself. I do it because I feel like they deserve it. But if they don't deserve it I don't pass any extra out. 

I've never tipped a Maitre' D, they don't need it. I'd rather tip the guy or girl polishing the stair rails. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

And that would be seen by others as just one more trying to feel good.

So glad it is all now included and the days of envelopes are long gone.

But wait now it's just cash handed out wherever staff can be found, even those polishing the stair case.

10 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

So glad it is all now included

Pulling this  back to changes with Simply Less, I certainly regarded it as progress when O incorporated gratuities into the cruise price last year for European customers (as had been the case for Australian & New Zealanders for a while).

Knowing just how deeply ingrained the process of tipping is in the culture, it'll be interesting to see how North Americans will view things now it's included for them as well. 

Edited by Harters

7 hours ago, jonthomas said:

There is NO reason to do this, now that it is included, except that it makes you feel good.

It creates a culture among the workers that it is never enough. There is always the one that is tipping more.

I posted that on our last cruise, 2 weeks ago, a guy was standing outside his cabin, handing out money to any staff that came by. It was outrageous.

In the carrib last year, saw multiple people handing out tips for chairs, towels, drinks.

But the prize goes to those that take their stateroom attendants to the store and get them whatever they want.

Forgot to mention the lady that supports her buttlers family in India. She was more than happy to talk about it during specialty dining. She felt very good about it and very proud. 

Yes probably all American.

So, JT, I’m just going to say what my pretty wise granddaughter says, “You do you.” As you and I have never met, as far as I know, I think it’s a bit presumptuous on your part to assume you know my motivation in doing anything, including tipping. So, let’s make a deal—I’ll extend you the courtesy of not presuming what your motivations are, and I’d be most appreciative if you would extend that same courtesy to me and any others who might not agree with you. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

We personally prefer it when gratuities are included in the cruise fare or prepaid by the travel agency consortium, etc.  We don’t want our whims/perception/mood to influence how the crew is compensated in any way.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SophieM said:

So, JT, I’m just going to say what my pretty wise granddaughter says, “You do you.” As you and I have never met, as far as I know, I think it’s a bit presumptuous on your part to assume you know my motivation in doing anything, including tipping. So, let’s make a deal—I’ll extend you the courtesy of not presuming what your motivations are, and I’d be most appreciative if you would extend that same courtesy to me and any others who might not agree with you. 

Interesting how you see my observations as being disrespectful to your whims.

You can defend your whims, but no one else is allowed to comment on them. 

There are several here that have said, they do what they do because it makes them feel good. Irregardless of the bigger picture.

As long as it makes them feel good, nothing else matters.

And NO comment is expected or wanted.

And we are still off topic.

Usually at the end of my cruises I will give a “gift” (monetary) to the crew members I like.  They are someone I have developed a relationship with during the course of the cruise.  I have to add that on my last O cruise my cabin stewards came by the last night of the cruise and gave me “gifts” (not monetary ).  Goes both ways sometimes. 

• Like 2

And I completely agree with SophieM. It’s not anybody's business to tell me what I don’t have to do. Actually, it was me who posted that I feel good but not about myself demonstrating something how someone try to picture it. I feel good about what I’m doing when I extend my gratitude to the hardworking staff who helped to make my cruise so enjoyable. Also, I believe that my post gathered quite a bit of likes from other people as well.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I would love to be reminded what the witty acronym “SLAVE” stands for. Simply Less smth smth smth.

Thx!

That was me 😁

Simply Less Added Value Experience, or SLAVE program

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

That was me 😁

Simply Less Added Value Experience, or SLAVE program

Interesting: TIPS means To Insure prompt Service. Sounds "pro-active to me, which has been called a "bribe" on this thread. We tend to do this after good service. Just a thought.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alimars said:

This is regarding specialty rest

has that been changed also?

Concierge level

24 day cruise 

now only 4 speciality dinner!

any information?

Is it possible that it can also be booked as two shorter cruises? If so, you should be able to book 4 more when the window for the second cruise opens up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alimars said:

Concierge level

24 day cruise 

any information?

Which ship?

1 hour ago, Alimars said:

Concierge level

24 day cruise 

any information?

That matches what it says on their website under FAQs. According to the site it says it was last updated on 2/29/24. 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 1

Riveria

that too has been changed in feb

24 days is a lot to eat on dining room

or cafes  been told it is impossible to ge additional specialty rest dinner 

not happy about this

@Alimars

Do not get overly concerned, you will be able to get additional reservations based on “availability”. I know this issue has been discussed forever on this Board.

A few thoughts, do not book a Specialty reservation for the first night because with 4 restaurants, there will be availability. Just stop at the Reservation Desk on Deck 5 when you board and ask about whatever is available that evening, especially if you are willing to Share and be flexible about the time. This extra Reservation will not count against your allocation of 4. 
Next, after the end of the first week, start checking each day at the Desk to see what might be available and you will most likely pick up some extra reservations based on availability. 

Next, I did not see what Stateroom level you were booked in as that can assist you in getting some extra reservations over a 24 day sailing.  If you are in a Suite your Butler can assist you. 
Just Enjoy 🤪👍🙏🤞

Mauibabes