MCA Cafe at OPT moving location

The popular indoor/outdoor cafe on the fourth floor of the Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) at Circular Quay has permanently closed.

In its place will be a fine dining restaurant ‘Canvas’ operated by Melbourne’s The Big Hospitality Group.  Canvas is expected to have a soft opening this month followed by an official opening next month.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

The popular indoor/outdoor cafe on the fourth floor of the Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) at Circular Quay has permanently closed.

In its place will be a fine dining restaurant ‘Canvas’ operated by Melbourne’s The Big Hospitality Group.  Canvas is expected to have a soft opening this month followed by an official opening next month.

Sad, I loved the cafe for a light lunch, especially pre-cruise with a different ship in OPT. I guess it just wasn't quite popular enough.

I guess I better suss out a Canvas menu for next time we are staying near the quay. For those not aware or out of town, Luke Mangan operates a seasonal restaurant from the Pylon Lookout in the bridge. It would seem that Circular Quay offers an attractive view for dining.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It would be interesting to know why the Cafe is being closed down. Like if it couldn't turn a profit or if they just want a change in direction.

Money, money, money ....

• Like 2

Turns out the MCA cafe is still there, but has moved downstairs to ground level for alfresco dining on the forecourt. Would be nicer to have that verandah view, but it is still a cool location. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, arxcards said:

Sad, I loved the cafe for a light lunch, especially pre-cruise with a different ship in OPT. I guess it just wasn't quite popular enough.

I guess I better suss out a Canvas menu for next time we are staying near the quay. For those not aware or out of town, Luke Mangan operates a seasonal restaurant from the Pylon Lookout in the bridge. It would seem that Circular Quay offers an attractive view for dining.

Seen the pylon dining advertised but we haven’t been yet.

I loved the Cafe too.  Be interesting to see what is on the menu and the prices when Canvas officially opens.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It would be interesting to know why the Cafe is being closed down. Like if it couldn't turn a profit or if they just want a change in direction.

Pure speculation but maybe the cafe lease was up and The Big Group made an offer that the powers that be couldn’t refuse.  

probably a cafe gets more traffic/customers on ground level too.

Whereas an actual restaruant takes bookings and has customers who planned a meal there so upstairs not an issue -  not so much opportunistic / passing by traffic customers like a cafe.

Maybe win/win for both parties.

Good to see the cafe will continue. I also like Rossini cafe, the first one around the corner at Circular Quay.  They do a good breakfast/brunch, and you have that view of the ship moored at the OPT, with the harbour bridge behind.

• Host Kat changed the title to MCA Cafe at OPT moving location
12 hours ago, Kristelle said:

probably a cafe gets more traffic/customers on ground level too.

Whereas an actual restaruant takes bookings and has customers who planned a meal there so upstairs not an issue -  not so much opportunistic / passing by traffic customers like a cafe.

Maybe win/win for both parties.

They tried a pop-up bar in that spot previously - unsuccessful.

One thing that a hospitality company will do is promote both venues, which isn't something that MCA ever needed to be good at. The cafe originated as an add-on service for people who were visiting the gallery and relied on foot traffic.