Jim_Iain - Live - comparison of Oceania Regatta - Vista Suite to Celebrity Millennium Royal Suite

Jim_Iain

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Regatta is about 1/3 of the size Millennium  -   30K Tons vs 91K Tons but about 1/4 the number of cabins 349 vs 1,109 on Millennium.   With 2x per cabin this equates to  698 PAX on Regatta vs 2,218 on Millennium

Slide2.thumb.PNG.00aea71f51cf6544db70ac128c8c8df5.PNG

vs

Slide9.thumb.PNG.54fdc113e17db423de25b4ac8123b8f7.PNG

Really is apples to oranges, but I'm sure the service, dining, entertainment can be comparitive.  Enjoy your trip. 

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is always nice to fly to Canada.    Will have to pack for chilly and wet conditions.   49F / 9C to  59 /  15C and showers daily for the foreseeable future.

Not all of Canada is chilly and wet (but Vancouver apparently will be wet on Saturday :classic_sad: and 17c/  64F.  Too bad, it's a beautiful city for sight-seeing.  Vancouver and any border or mid Canadian area is more temperate, sometimes too hot in summer.  Victoria BC to LA the weather will be much like you have at home.  Most likely your suitcases will contain cool and warmer weather clothing.  That's one of the reasons we don't travel to the northern ports....one is overstuffed bags and the other is we get enough cold weather in winter without looking for it in the summer...LOL.

we'll follow to see the comparison

(never miss a review by Jim);    but for us E Class is fine...unless they   max fill the cabins and go to a  " party all the time" atmosphere.

We enjoyed Jim's  Ponant review,  but was not our style or budget!

Glad Jim's reviews widen our horizons!

• Like 1

So looking forward to your review and comparison and post’s, Jim.  This is the first time that I can remember in almost 10 years that we do not have a Celebrity PS booked. I have searched for a PS on Celebrity right after our Olivia HAL Pinnacle suite cruise.  I did find, some weeks ago, a 7 night cruise in the PS out of Tampa on the Constellation to the western Caribbean (it would mean getting from FLL to Tampa with an overnight in Tampa). We don’t even get off the ship on Western Caribbean sailings.  UGH!  The cost was $23,000 last I priced it.  Thanks but no thanks.

11 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Hi Jim,

I’m looking forward to your review.  It will be interesting to see your comparison of Celebrity’s suite class vs a true luxury ship.

Enjoy

Only sailed Oceania once, it was a very good experience, certainly above Celebrity, esp. the food.  Wasn't my overall vibe though and they are not a true luxury cruise line.

22 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

oh no. Amazing the condition some cases come back in.   Son-inlaw had pop up handle gone

It's had a good life and actually was free.   I had a different Samsonite that failed about 5 years ago.  When I took it to the Authorized Samsonite Luggage Repair shop -- they said it couldn't be fixed and said..... why don't you just take that one.    It came it for a different customer and they never came back. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Spyder2up said:

We will be following as well, your reviews are always interesting and informative!

Thanks --- it is going to be a learning experience and many like myself are looking out alternatives to Celebrity. 

22 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

The majority of your weather will most likely be cooler and wet but I’d pack at least one warmer weather outfit just in case. We did Alaska twice in September and on both cruises we had a few days of sunny and warm. We had some passengers from the UK who only packed cold weather gear and were cleaning out the shops of short sleeved tops! I know you like to walk outdoors so prob wouldn’t hurt to pack one pair of shorts. 

Thanks --- will definitely do.     I told Iain that if we pack for a Summer in San Francisco and add rain gear we should be ok.   For those that don't know San Francisco,  the worst time to visit is usually July and August due to the fog layer being pulled in.   Temps run 50-65 F.   

I live in shorts during the summer so definitely will toss some in.   I planned for the layered look.     Temperatures will warm a bit as we head to Los Angeles.

Here's the current forecast for Ketchican

image.thumb.png.79bdd530b8883aeafd594f63e0c7fc3c.png

• Like 3

21 hours ago, abbydancer2003 said:

Should be fun.  If I’m not mistaken the Regatta is roughly the same layout and size of all the Azamara ships (we’re “cheating “ with one of those in November.   I’ll look forward to your impressions.  

I think they are very much similar.   They are both 30 Ton but slightly fewer Cabins.

21 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Will be following along on both boards!  Looks like a great itinerary!  

Thanks for joining in.    I really appreciate all those that follow and participate.   I learn so much from other CC members

21 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@Jim_Iain  Have been following you pre-cruise comments and am really looking forward to your live review.  

It's been too long since we've had one of your enjoyable live reviews. 

Thanks John --- I always enjoy your participation on our reviews.   A cruise would not be complete without you aboard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As I indicated before -  the reason I chose Millennium for the comparison is they were built about same time and each went through a refurbishment in 2019.

The big takeaway I noticed in this comparison is the Passenger to Crew Ratio -

Regatta  - 1.65 

Millennium - 2.65

Theoretically this means one should receive more attentive service.   

Slide3.thumb.PNG.ad24b44f39cc321655d88aa01c7309d5.PNG

Slide4.thumb.PNG.a97e1f695029fc19b8fc951388b6d0d4.PNG

• Like 3

Being just two days until departure thought I would compare the Pre-Planning and Check In process -

A couple things are immediately apparent.    As much as many of us complain about Celebrity App and Website it is far better than the experience I have had so far on Oceania.

Oceania does not have an App and their website is very non-intuitive and lacking many needed features we have all become accustomed to.

Part of Oceania's Current program "Simply More" include $600 OBC which can only be used for excursions.   OK... I can live with that.     I booked a couple excursions about 5 months ago.    About 3 months ago they dropped a port and substituted a port.   It took me 4 weeks and 3 phone calls to get the original excursion cancelled and refunded to my account.   First time they said wait 3 week and it would automatically be cancelled and refunded.   3 weeks later I called again as they had not been cancelled.   They cancelled it but the credit never showed on my account.   I had to call back again to have the credit re-applied.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

CheckIn --   About 3 weeks prior to the cruise they open On-Line Check In.  This can only be completed on their website.

The process is as one would expect totally manual.   You have to physically type in all passport information,  names, addresses, emergency contacts etc.  After finished you are able to select a checkin time.    Their website indicates their Upper Suites get 11 AM checkin time which was the case when I checked in.   

At least one person on the Oceania Board claim that is old information and that now even upper suites have to fight for the first slots.    Whether that is true or not I don't know as all times were available when I checked in.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It's had a good life and actually was free.   I had a different Samsonite that failed about 5 years ago.  When I took it to the Authorized Samsonite Luggage Repair shop -- they said it couldn't be fixed and said..... why don't you just take that one.    It came it for a different customer and they never came back. 

I bought a particular model of Samsonite because super light. Their ads said you can run over it and will pop back. Being skeptical, wasn’t why I bought it.   After a flight, grabbed my bag. Lots of 🤬. It had been run over, could see tire tracks, really dented in corner.  Off to customer service.  I took pics. Standing in long line, I looked at the case.  The thing was slowly popping back into shape. By the time we got to an agent, and asked how she could help, it looked normal.  The shocked look on her face when we said we were good and left.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Jim, six full-size bottles of premium spirits for Iain! I'm guessing you will be bring some of those bottles home.

Hopefully they can find a bottle or two of non-alcoholic wine or spirits for you.

DW and I agree that we have had good success with our Travel Pro luggage.

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

Jim, I hope you will report on the non-alcoholic wines and champagne availability on these new cruise lines.  When I asked for same in MSC Yacht Club, they looked at me like I was crazy.  Also discussed the lack with the dining room manager (they don't have sommeliers).  I didn't get the impression that was something they were interested in providing.