Comedy on ships

My family loves comedy shows.  Does Royal have a designated comedy club  and comedy shows daily?  We usually take Carnival because they have lots of comedy, but would love to try Royal.   Which boats have lots of comedy, which do you recommend?  Thank you.

51 minutes ago, dlwfarm said:

My family loves comedy shows.  Does Royal have a designated comedy club  and comedy shows daily?  We usually take Carnival because they have lots of comedy, but would love to try Royal.   Which boats have lots of comedy, which do you recommend?  Thank you.

RCI does not have nightly comedy shows like Carnival. As someone mentioned, Oasis class and Icon class ships have a designated comedy club. However, the show is the same every night of the cruise. You need a reservation to see the show and you are only allowed one reservation per cruise. On smaller ships they often have a comedian one night in the main theater, but that is far from a guarantee (this also applies to larger ships at times). Bottom line is Carnival blows away RCI when it comes to the frequency of comedy shows during a cruise. 

I would say… and this is just my opinion.. but when a comedian gets to be B-C level famous they are able to  spend a few weeks doing their best 27 mins of standup. The very popular comedians who you hear on the radio or on late night will not be there.

It’s kinda like tuning into LIV golf and expecting the PGA golf set up and fan/ viewer experience. It’s like JV compared to Varsity. Yes it’s still comedy but it’s a little hackish when co

pared to the good ones.

when I go to listen to a comedian my expectations are very low.. you mostly get old jokes about cruising.. ex the 24 hr buffet… the small size of the stateroom..a few jabs at the cruise director.. ha ha .. and let’s not forget the all to tired “scooter” jokes.

i much prefer a comedian who has a tight 27 mins and does not mention the crowd as a crutch to kill time or lack of material. A comedian who does his/ her set and kills.. 

On 9/13/2024 at 1:16 PM, dlwfarm said:

Which boats have lots of comedy, which do you recommend?  Thank you.

Any seriously funny comic wouldn’t be caught dead performing on a cruise line. They book has beens, wanna be’s and never will’s.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Any seriously funny comic wouldn’t be caught dead performing on a cruise line. They book has beens, wanna be’s and never will’s.

I think that is pretty harsh. I have seen several very good comedians on RCI. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2024 at 3:32 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think that is pretty harsh. I have seen several very good comedians on RCI. 

I agree. I have rarely left a comedian before his set is finished, and I have for sure done that with some of the worst tribute acts.

On 9/15/2024 at 10:10 PM, George C said:

Comedy club on oasis class isn’t that big and you need reservations and should get there early for a good seat. Would prefer it to be in a larger venue.

On Utopia they had the Adult Comedy in the theatre one evening. 

• Like 1