Can a 16 year old do ships excursions by themselves?

cjpj

I’ve always heard it was 18 years old, in order to get off and back on without an adult.  But, never tried this.

There may be an exception on excursions, but IDK.

Did you call your TA/CVP?  If you booked directly PCL there is a phone prompt to book shore excursions.  They may have no clue though.

When you book it, does it say an age limit?  It should.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

Great information.  So, it is 18 and over.

The only way, looks like going to the shore excursions OB and talking with them.  If it is permissible, they may have waivers to sign from the operator.  Otherwise, you’d have to go on the tour to meet the operator?  Not likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cjpj said:

Taking my 16 year old grandson on a cruise. His intrest in excursions my be different from mine. Is he able to do excursions on his own?

He needs to be 18. 

We know this first hand as one of our children expressed interest in an excursion we didn't. Shore excursions deck told us 18 was the minimum age for them to go solo. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses. That's what I was afraid it would be. Maybe Grandpa and I will need to split up if there is one he really wants to do, but we don't.

Edited by cjpj

Yes, I am quite sure that they will be vigilant about 'zapping' an older teen's medallion off the ship without an adult.

I understand that you see your grandson as a mature and capable young man!

But, perhaps you remember the story where, in a very similar situation, a young man this age (who may have had some developmental things going on)  did l leave the ship without grandparents, got caught up with the wrong individual, and didn't make it back onboard.  Thankfully it all worked out in the end!

Sounds like some compromise will be in order.

52 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Great information.  So, it is 18 and over.

The only way, looks like going to the shore excursions OB and talking with them.  If it is permissible, they may have waivers to sign from the operator.  Otherwise, you’d have to go on the tour to meet the operator?  Not likely.

I'm interpreting that as signing in the presence of the operator. That would not be the shorex desk, but also doesn't mean you'd have to actually go on the tour. There's probably a representative of the tour operator on the dock, either as the bus driver, tour guide, or possibly the person holding the lollipop sign showing you where to gather.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, peety3 said:

I'm interpreting that as signing in the presence of the operator. That would not be the shorex desk, but also doesn't mean you'd have to actually go on the tour. There's probably a representative of the tour operator on the dock, either as the bus driver, tour guide, or possibly the person holding the lollipop sign showing you where to gather.

Right, agree.  But, having to meet tour op would be an issue, as if you’ve paid for the minor and then it’s no, then they are out of luck. 

I think this is more of a liability issue, if you have a minor, on the excursion with everyone, then, some excursions require a waiver signed.

It’s really mute though, as it sounds like it’s a no go if you’re under 18 anyway.

8 minutes ago, voljeep said:

since when did tour excursions operators check ID's against tickets purchased

some 16 year olds look 20+, right?

I don’t have children but I am wondering if the ticket for a minor might look different. Just like cruise cards for minors have a different look to prevent them from buying drinks

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

I don’t have children but I am wondering if the ticket for a minor might look different. Just like cruise cards for minors have a different look to prevent them from buying drinks

huge gamble and not worth it, but the parents could buy the excursion in their name and give the ticket to the son

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

huge gamble and not worth it, but the parents could buy the excursion in their name and give the ticket to the son

One of them would have to walk off the ship with him even then. Also in some ports you need to show ID to get through security. Way too much a gamble unless one of the adults goes on the tour as well. I have seen this on excursions with minors in the past and sometimes the adult does not even participate in some activities like climbing Mt Etna 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjpj said:

Taking my 16 year old grandson on a cruise. His intrest in excursions my be different from mine. Is he able to do excursions on his own?

I would not be comfortable letting my 16 year old grandchild go off on an excursion with people I did not know if I were not there to keep an eye on him.  The Princess policy is there to protect both children and grandparents.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

since when did tour excursions operators check ID's against tickets purchased

some 16 year olds look 20+, right?

I don't think they would get that far.  The booking system knows the age of each person.  I would think (hope?) that it would be caught at time of excursion booking.  Of course...that's putting faith in Princess IT!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I don't think they would get that far.  The booking system knows the age of each person.  I would think (hope?) that it would be caught at time of excursion booking.  Of course...that's putting faith in Princess IT!

@Rick&Jeannie When you book a excursion pre cruise it shows the names of the people in the cabin with adult next to it.  I’m assuming is we had a child on our booking it would reflect that otherwise how would it charge the child price for the excursion?  I should think it would work the same way on board.

9 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

@Rick&Jeannie When you book a excursion pre cruise it shows the names of the people in the cabin with adult next to it.  I’m assuming is we had a child on our booking it would reflect that otherwise how would it charge the child price for the excursion?  I should think it would work the same way on board.

It knows exactly how old each passenger is as you book the *cruise*...therefore it knows all about ages.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

I would not be comfortable letting my 16 year old grandchild go off on an excursion with people I did not know if I were not there to keep an eye on him.  The Princess policy is there to protect both children and grandparents.

Not that I disagree and it makes sense that Princess has an 18 year old age limit, but it isn’t unreasonable to consider the ask. Most 16 year olds are driving and doing most activities independently from constant parental supervision. A ship sponsored excursion, especially depending on where and what it is, is a pretty safe undertaking. Some excursions can be quite physical and may be of more interest and more suitable for a young person than grandparents, so certainly understand why this might be a question. No harm in asking. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Not that I disagree and it makes sense that Princess has an 18 year old age limit, but it isn’t unreasonable to consider the ask. Most 16 year olds are driving and doing most activities independently from constant parental supervision. A ship sponsored excursion, especially depending on where and what it is, is a pretty safe undertaking. Some excursions can be quite physical and may be of more interest and more suitable for a young person than grandparents, so certainly understand why this might be a question. No harm in asking. 

My thoughts exactly. I guess we can always ask. Or if he finds "friends" on the ship he may be able to go with them I wouldn't want him doing a private excursion by himself, but I feel a ship excursion.is pretty safe.

5 minutes ago, cjpj said:

My thoughts exactly. I guess we can always ask. Or if he finds "friends" on the ship he may be able to go with them I wouldn't want him doing a private excursion by himself, but I feel a ship excursion.is pretty safe.

If SE does approve, make sure he has money and a way to get hold of you, in the event of an emergency.  I've cruised with my grandparents when they were still alive and I was underage, and like your situation, we didn't always have the same interests.  When we did part ways in port, they gave me a wad of cash, an emergency meet up location, and the ship's phone number (roaming plans weren't in back then).

I'd be asking myself how I would feel if something happened to him when I let him go alone?  Accidents happen, there are many examples if you google it.  Even if you just stay with the transportation at least if something happens you would be there to make decisions & know what they were doing for him or where they were taking him if needed.  I wouldn't even consider letting him go alone.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, happy42cruise said:

I'd be asking myself how I would feel if something happened to him when I let him go alone?  Accidents happen, there are many examples if you google it.  Even if you just stay with the transportation at least if something happens you would be there to make decisions & know what they were doing for him or where they were taking him if needed.  I wouldn't even consider letting him go alone.

One has to learn street smarts.  Letting a teen explore is one way to do that.  Excursions are very controlled environments.  Family isn't always going to be around.  As long as you can keep time, you're good.  Some old people can't seem to manage that.