So close... but not perfect

jnap1210

We recently took the Mediterranean Chic (Aug 25 - Sept 4). Mostly this experience was everything that was wanted and expected.  We brought along 4 family members (2 first time cruisers and 2 first time Oceania cruisers). All went well even great,  except that we experienced a port change to a new port that didn't work (Gozo).  That being said things happen.  But how the crew reacts to things really fell flat.  

Waiting for the tender to return to the ship the line of passengers must have been half the ship.  We were standing on the sunny and hot pier without tents, water,  or communication. I will allow for the first 1 or 2 tenders, but when it was apparent that the tenders couldn't handle the influx of passengers (as these were mostly Oceania booked excursions it should have been realized) it seemed that there was nobody around who could make a decision.  What should have been done was a radio to the ship to send more water, towels, to handle the large number of passengers waiting.  Maybe increase the number of tenders.  Even walk up and down the line to inform guests what was happening and what was being done.  But as nothing was being done,  that makes sense that there was no communication. 

I personally suffered heat exhaustion. I brought water and bought extra,  but water didn't replace electrolytes.  That night I couldn't enjoy the dinner as I was shaking and needed to get to bed.  The next morning I went to the ship's doctor and was given intravenous fluids and many tests. I appreciate the attention and really thank everyone there.  I was charged $2954 and missed the one port that I wanted to see (Tunisia). 

What did Oceania say or do?  Nothing.  They made sure I paid the bill and nobody,  except our butler -   Chetan - really seemed to care.  Chetan found me Gatorade and stocked my room with them.  Thank you Chetan. 

As for Oceania,  I waited until today to see if anyone would reach out. But as of today,  9/15/2024, nothing. 

We are planning the next family cruise and this experience is making us look at others.  I really don't like it,  as I am a stock holder, but really???

How bad for you.  Are you now fully recovered?  In a similar situation, we have taken turns holding our place in line while the other finds a place to sit (or lean) preferably in the shade.  Too bad that wasn't an option for you.  (I notice an umbrella in your photo and think I might take one ashore myself in future.)

I am very sorry this happened to you. The ship should have done more for their passengers. I believe that they outsource this function to the destination services desk, and sometimes it’s a real failure.

You have a valid point that when a failure like this happens, Oceania should follow up with some kind of apology or credit to try to make it right. Doing it right in the first place would’ve been best, however something to make it better is second best and better than nothing.

• Like 1

Sounds like a case for Christopher Elliott.  Certainly if the ship was responsible for your illness, you should not be charged for the medical care.

You do have that video of the line waiting for the tender.

Do you have trip insurance? Or is this coming out of your pocket?: Definitely if this is on you, contact Elliott.org.

Terri

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Sounds like a case for Christopher Elliott.  Certainly if the ship was responsible for your illness, you should not be charged for the medical care.

Do you have trip insurance? Or is this coming out of your pocket?: Definitely if this is on you, contact Elliott.org.

Terri

I realize my takes on posts like this aren't very popular but I think it's quite a stretch to say the ship is responsible for an illness. 

No one on the ship decide what and how much water/Gatorade/whatever electrolyte replacements the OP took on shore or how much and when they drank.  No one made them stand in the sun.  No one prevented taking a cooling towel/umbrella or anything else.  No one said they can't get out of line and relax somewhere in the shade or air conditioning and get back in line later.  No one prevented them from going to the tent and telling the crew they weren't feeling well and need to get out of line. 

I don't disagree that the service was poor and I'd probably be annoyed as well.  Im certainly not a cheerleader or attacking the OPA.  Poor service doesn't make them responsible for heat exhaustion. 

Like many complaint threads, I think there's often some expectations that are a little unrealistic and then leads to disappointment.   The OP has one perspective.   O staff have another.  The reality probably lies somewhere in between. 

Without knowing the specific staffing, operational procedures, and the exact current circumstances, there is absolutely no way someone can just expect more tenders to suddenly appear. 

To the OP, I'm sorry you didn't feel well and truly wish you a speedy recovery.   I'd also suggest tempering your expectations for immediate service recovery to avoid being so disappointed.   I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

Something that I would have when to the Hotel manager and had a discussion of what happened and ask them why.

I’m not sure I understand why the hotel manager would have any authority over running the tenders or transporting excursions. I would’ve thought this was the domain of destination services, and we know that sometimes it is run like a bunch of clowns in a clown car. Not always, thankfully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

I’m not sure I understand why the hotel manager would have any authority over running the tenders or transporting excursions. I would’ve thought this was the domain of destination services, and we know that sometimes it is run like a bunch of clowns in a clown car. Not always, thankfully.

I was pretty much under the impression that he/she runs the show and pretty much everyone answers to them, except for maybe the Captain. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jnap1210 said:

what do you mean no one made anyone stand in the sun? If that is exactly how you are to board the tender. Do you have a "special way" to get on the ship when not docked. Please share.  

On many occasions, I have chosen to sit in a shady area rather than wait in line in the sun for a long time to board a tender.  When the lines went away, I then strolled onto the tender.  I did not get back to the ship as quickly, but avoided waiting in line in the hot sun.  I also try to avoid traveling to the Mediterranean in August/September, when it is usually very hot.   

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

How would the ship be responsible for the illness?  But yes, this is what trip insurance is for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jnap1210 said:

I did speak with the assistant Hotel Manager. It went nowhere. Pretty much what I was told at that meeting.  It was sorry... but nothing we can do.  

The is sad, they should have been able to get water down to the port area for all.  Also the Hotel manager should be aware of all ship guest problem and be able to talk to the department head and if nothing can be don't escalate it to the Captain.

• Like 1

I'm sorry this happened. It sounds like the problem started because too many buses arrived at the pier at the same time.  

How much time was there between when this happened and when the last tender was scheduled?  I agree with @cruiserchuck when he said he would have found a spot to sit. Perhaps they would have allowed you to get back on the bus and wait there. Also, the video shows a building in the background. If there was enough time before the last tender, I would have probably got out of line, sit down somewhere, wait for the line to clear and then get on that tender.  There are only so many tenders and they were doing the best they could.   Sorry if this sounds harsh but I try to look for solutions when I'm in an uncomfortable situation. 

I did exactly that. There was a small food place.  But that was crowded.  I kept going back. But they were busy. The larger building was a distance away.  I went there but every time a tender came I would go back online. The line never shrunk enough.  I had family that did stand and I joined them.  But it was still a long time in the sun until we got there.  

• Like 1

@Yesimapirate

There's a reason that, as you yourself said, your posts aren't popular. They don't make any sense---or at least this one doesn't.

"Poor service" doesn't make the cruise line "responsible" for illnesses or injuries? It's entirely foreseeable that if you force people to stand for an unreasonably long time in the baking Mediterranean heat, someone (maybe several people) will get sick. Heat exhaustion is not a joke. 

And to add insult to injury, Oceania charges this lady nearly $3,000 for the illness that they, in their negligence, contributed to and could have prevented. And then they refuse to discuss the issue with her in any meaningful way.

This is customer "service" unbefitting a supposedly classy cruise line.

Jim

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, JimDee363636 said:

@Yesimapirate

There's a reason that, as you yourself said, your posts aren't popular. They don't make any sense---or at least this one doesn't.

"Poor service" doesn't make the cruise line "responsible" for illnesses or injuries? It's entirely foreseeable that if you force people to stand for an unreasonably long time in the baking Mediterranean heat, someone (maybe several people) will get sick. Heat exhaustion is not a joke. 

And to add insult to injury, Oceania charges this lady nearly $3,000 for the illness that they, in their negligence, contributed to and could have prevented. And then they refuse to discuss the issue with her in any meaningful way.

This is customer "service" unbefitting a supposedly classy cruise line.

Jim

What we don't know are the legal restrictions that a port authority in a foreign country imposes on the ship's crew and what they can do and cannot do.  It may be that the crew could have addressed the situation or it may be they had limitations imposed on them that prevented them from acting.  We don't know the whole story from both sides (or the 3 sides, pax, Oceania, Port Authority) and probably never will.  While I have sympathy with the pax, I would not not rush to the conclusion it's entirely O's fault without knowing the full situation. 

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

The intuitive thing would have been to radio to the ship to ask for umbrellas, cold towels and extra water for the people in the queue to be placed on the tender returning to shore. These could have been handed out to people in the queue together with an explanation/apology. It doesn't change the situation but would have made customers feel cared for.

Re Oceania getting back to people who have issues - our issue was much more minor but we had absolutely no contact from anyone either during or after the cruise which was disappointing.

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 1

Reminds me of the time I took Oceania out of Papeete.People lining up for Boardamania by 9:00 and then complaining about the heat. Not sure about the primary poster, but if I saw that long a line, I’d find something else to do for several hours and just ensure I was back for the last shuttle. Boardamania is a choice, as is standing in such a long line for a tender. 

Fwiw, we personally prefer a make up port, even a tender one, in lieu of a sea day for a missed port. That’s even the case when adjustments are necessary for the replacement port. It’s obvious not everyone feels that way. Maybe some would be more satisfied just staying aboard under the circumstances. 

• Like 1