Hair loss

Any tips/success stories re hair loss?

I'm not referring to baldness related to chemo or other, or the receding hairline that I've seen on several women recently.

More to the issue of hair that just keeps falling out, in combs, brushes, and vacuum cleaners!  Doctor says not related to current health.

Mrs dock b here (he was signed in already and I just had him pass me the tablet when he was done reading)

Anyway, I had used the hair cleansing product wen several years ago and experienced hair loss; found out others had the same issue so I quit using it and that certainly helped.

But the thing that has totally changed my hair loss from how you described it to normal hair loss (a few strands only) was when I quit coloring my hair. I do not know if you color yours or not, so that may not be a factor in your hair loss.

I now not only lose lots of hair when I wash it but I’ve had a lot of regrowth in the last 2 years of enjoying my natural silver hair.

You say you’ve seen a doctor. Did they do bloodwork?  I lost considerable hair before they started me on Thyroid medication. Hair has come back

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dock B said:

Mrs dock b here (he was signed in already and I just had him pass me the tablet when he was done reading)

Anyway, I had used the hair cleansing product wen several years ago and experienced hair loss; found out others had the same issue so I quit using it and that certainly helped.

But the thing that has totally changed my hair loss from how you described it to normal hair loss (a few strands only) was when I quit coloring my hair. I do not know if you color yours or not, so that may not be a factor in your hair loss.

I now not only lose lots of hair when I wash it but I’ve had a lot of regrowth in the last 2 years of enjoying my natural silver hair.

I'd be very interested to know what 'cleansing product' you stopped using.  My hair definitely seems much thinner lately and I'm wondering if the shampoo or conditioner I use is causing any of the hair loss.  

58 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I'd be very interested to know what 'cleansing product' you stopped using.  My hair definitely seems much thinner lately and I'm wondering if the shampoo or conditioner I use is causing any of the hair loss.  

The product WEN is what she said she was using

• Thanks 1

Have you gone to a doctor that specializes in hair loss?  There are many treatments available such as supplements, Minoxidil, laser combs and caps. You need to find out what the cause is.

• Like 1

Did you have Covid?  There is more documentation that one of the after-effects of Covid is hair loss.  It's taken a loooong time, but my stylist is noticing more "baby" hairs than usual, which means it's coming back. 

Also, I've always heard that some hair loss is just due to aging.  Ever notice some older women have thinner hair?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Did you have Covid?  There is more documentation that one of the after-effects of Covid is hair loss.  It's taken a loooong time, but my stylist is noticing more "baby" hairs than usual, which means it's coming back. 

Also, I've always heard that some hair loss is just due to aging.  Ever notice some older women have thinner hair?  

An absolute Yes to aging as a cause, in my case.  Definite No to covid, but interesting observation.

I had tremendous hair loss related to having had Covid. I’ve always had a lot of hair, with thick, like almost 2” diameter pony tails, and I easily lost half my hair following Covid. I know you said you haven’t had Covid, but what I learned from the experience may still apply.

For whatever reason, your hair follicle has weakened, making it very easy for your hair to simply fall out during what may seem like normal care. I was advised to be very careful when doing anything hair related. Careful combing with wet hair. Minimal brushing. Don’t pull it tight into a ponytail. Don’t run my fingers through my hair (literally I could pull my hair out by the handful doing that). Etc. You don’t sound like your loss is as severe.

I was also advised to use the Kerastase hair products. Shampoo, conditioner and a leave in treatment to strength my hair follicles, which worked. My hair returned, which was wonderful but also comical because my returning hair stuck straight out and wouldn’t lay flat with the hair I didn’t lose. It’s why I was motivated to basically shave my hair (which I’ve dreamed of doing all my life as I’ve gone through love/hate seasons with my hair and literal neck pain because of its weight).

Anyway, I share all this to say that it’s likely that hair follicle weakening is a likely side effect of years passing. Being cognizant of such a possibility and using a product aimed to help are what I would recommend. It took a couple months for me to notice a difference in my hair growth, but the hair loss immediately lessened when I began to treat my hair in more hair follicle friendly fashion.

• Like 3