Volendam 8 million dollar docking period October 2024

Alphen

17 hours ago, Homala said:

It’s a great itinerary!  Are you on the roll call?

I could without a tub. I’m hoping that if the cabins don’t have glass shower doors now, that it might be part of the dry dock work but it doesn’t sound like it. I just hate the curtains, although stepping into a tub shower is even worse. 

So, for all the standard outside rooms* (including the lanais, which were standard outside rooms before the window got replaced with a door to the outside deck), the bathtubs were removed and replaced with walk-in showers with glass doors.  All of the inside rooms came with showers (not tubs) originally and, while these were refurbished, they are the smaller stall style and have the curtain.  They aren’t big enough for the door setup.

* there may have been some rare outside rooms that were built shower only and, while refurbished, may have the smaller stall style with curtain only.  If so, these are rare, and I don’t know where they are.  They were usually some of the odd-shaped or odd location outsides,  not the standard ones.  I’m sure someone here may know of some of these rooms.

• Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, ShipsAreTheBest said:

So, for all the standard outside rooms* (including the lanais, which were standard outside rooms before the window got replaced with a door to the outside deck), the bathtubs were removed and replaced with walk-in showers with glass doors.  All of the inside rooms came with showers (not tubs) originally and, while these were refurbished, they are the smaller stall style and have the curtain.  They aren’t big enough for the door setup.

* there may have been some rare outside rooms that were built shower only and, while refurbished, may have the smaller stall style with curtain only.  If so, these are rare, and I don’t know where they are.  They were usually some of the odd-shaped or odd location outsides,  not the standard ones.  I’m sure someone here may know of some of these rooms.

I have been on the Volendam twice recently in Lanai moved to outside and an outside.  All had the spacious new walkin showers.    no tubs - thank goodness 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here is a photo of the nice shower in oceanview 1838 on Volendam, taken Nov. 2022.  If I recall correctly the door opens inward.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG  

My next two Volendam bookings I was only able to book 1844 and 1820.  I would have liked to book 1838 since I was familiar with it.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Here is a photo of the nice shower in oceanview 1838 on Volendam, taken Nov. 2022.  If I recall correctly the door opens inward.

Wow! That looks tight? Are the showers in the newer ships wider?

4 hours ago, ShipsAreTheBest said:

So, for all the standard outside rooms* (including the lanais, which were standard outside rooms before the window got replaced with a door to the outside deck), the bathtubs were removed and replaced with walk-in showers with glass doors. 

Thanks for confirming what we many of us know, HAL does remodel/refurbish their ships :).

Remodeling bathrooms and removing shower curtains goes a long way for many of us. Hopefully they will continue this across the fleet (you know, for consistency lol).

The recent photos posted of Zaandam’s bathroom were downright disgusting. I would have an issue. Those cabins need attention stat. I can’t believe HAL has allowed these cabins  to deteriorate to this condition. post #9 here if interested 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My next two Volendam bookings I was only able to book 1844 and 1820.  I would have liked to book 1838 since I was familiar with it.

Thanks for sharing. I would be perfectly happy with this bathroom. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

In fairness, it doesn’t look any tighter than the mainstream lines I’ve sailed. Plenty big enough for me. 

Yes, the pinnacle showers are much bigger, but that means the bath does sacrifice horizontal space. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

It looks tighter than it is. Much better than one I had on Cunard years ago. I could have soaped the shower walls and done a spin and been all set.

Susan

• Haha 3

On 9/17/2024 at 9:40 AM, happytotravel said:

Hopefully, we will have a Dutch cafe.  I'm sailing next June and will be on deck 3 so nice to hear they will be working on the cabins there.

I was on the Volendam this past June and loved her.  She is just the right size for me.  I'm not interested in the larger ships that are being built these days.  Too much like an amusement park in my opinion.  But, to each is own.  I just wonder where some of these ships will dock as some ports are fighting against thousands of people descending on them.

Enjoy life and enjoy planning your next cruise!

happytotravel

The benefit of lack of new builds is we don’t get forced to ever larger ships so soon. Nothing wrong with a well maintained older vessel. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, john2003 said:

The benefit of lack of new builds is we don’t get forced to ever larger ships so soon. Nothing wrong with a well maintained older vessel. 

There is the crux of the matter. Is the Volendam really well maintained? I think that the consensus is that $8m will only buy the mandatory inspection and repair of the hull. Plus, mandatory maintenance and some cosmetic touches.

This dry dock does not address engine efficiency and emissions, plumbing and new venues. So, there is no real modernization and updates.

There's supposed to be a dry dock in 2026. Would HAL spend $80m on a 27-year ship? What do you think?

From the discussion here, it seems that some people miss the important point. That consumers pay more for quality. Pay less for low quality. Why does it matter to you?

Because it matters to HAL which is a for-profit company. It matters to CCL which is a publicly traded corporation whose share price is stagnant at historically low levels.

The cruise industry is charging ahead in two areas. Bigger, more profitable fun ships. Smaller, high margin luxury ships. These are the obvious things to do.

The problematic area is the mid-price mid-size segment. What kind of configuration and package of benefits will keep this important wedge alive? The unwillingness of HAL to invest in new solutions, means that HAL will be out of the competition in the next decade. 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From what I can see here folks who have actually been on the Volendam recently or for extended voyages seem fairly happy with the ship and their experience and have backed that opinion up by booking another cruise on the ship. The upcoming dry dock can't hurt.

Those who haven't been aboard and who are reacting to a posting or picture from an unknown source or have some preconceived notion of the perfect cruise ship that runs on air, produces no emissions and provides everything for everybody are less than satisfied.

Not sure you are going to reconcile the two.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Fred321 said:

From what I can see here folks who have actually been on the Volendam recently or for extended voyages seem fairly happy with the ship and their experience and have backed that opinion up by booking another cruise on the ship. The upcoming dry dock can't hurt.

Those who haven't been aboard and who are reacting to a posting or picture from an unknown source or have some preconceived notion of the perfect cruise ship that runs on air, produces no emissions and provides everything for everybody are less than satisfied.

Not sure you are going to reconcile the two.

Not everyone who sailed the Volendam thinks things are peachy.  I have sailed twice recently because of where she goes but I certainly didn’t think the ship was just peachy. 

Just off the Volendam yesterday with an inside in the "least preferred" location (1st floor near medical centre).Our room was certainly looking pretty dated with a dreadful shower curtain, but the furnishings themselves and even the carpet were surprisingly in decent shape. I somewhat attributed that to the fact that those rooms would always the last to be assigned and only if the ship is full (which it was). You definitely need a white noise app running on a tablet to sleep in those rooms 1st floor aft rooms though, no shortage of noise sources especially below (not sure what they were doing down there)

We were pleasantly surprised at the state of "most" the rest of the ship's furnishings, loungers, carpets and such as many newer or in good shape. 

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Cruise4food said:

In Volendam room 3428, July 2024 sailing, the equivalent shower door did indeed open inward.

Yes, was it a tight squeeze getting in and closing the door??

On 9/17/2024 at 10:59 AM, HappyInVan said:

Frankly, I'm surprised that HAL is putting money into a 25-year ship. I wonder if they'll do the same for the sister ship Zaandam?

Does not look life HAL is expecting new ships? 

I think the Zaandam is headed to dry dock in Jan 2025. 

3 minutes ago, rphtravel said:

I think the Zaandam is headed to dry dock in Jan 2025. 

Between January 25th and February 8th, which includes transit back and forth, so regular docking period.

I am a HAL fan.  

We fit their demographic and love the classic feel of the smaller ships. I do not need glitz or amusement parks on a cruise.

That said, we have not sailed on the Volendam (4* mariners), but will next July on the Greenland/Iceland cruise.  We have been on the Zaandam twice- to Antarctica and recently to the Amazon.  We always book an Ocean view room on deck 3, which gives us the largest veranda on the ship. We have booked the same room both times, and will have the same cabin on the Volendam (I am not sharing the #)

I have no desire to sail on the bigger ships.  Give me the Grand Old Ladies with the great itineraries!

We have also cruised on Viking 5 times when the itinerary was something different.  If HAL gets rid of its small ships, that is where we will go.  Viking's price is 50-100% higher but is more inclusive.  We are happy with HIA on Holland.

On 9/30/2024 at 6:03 AM, ShipsAreTheBest said:

3302 glass doors to shower.

On 10/1/2024 at 10:40 AM, Mary229 said:

Not everyone who sailed the Volendam thinks things are peachy.  I have sailed twice recently because of where she goes but I certainly didn’t think the ship was just peachy. 

We cruised on Volendam from Montreal to Boston and back in an OV cabin.  Right now she is my favourite ship.  No complaints except entertainment which could be better.

Just now, Quo Vadis? said:

We cruised on Volendam from Montreal to Boston and back in an OV cabin.  Right now she is my favourite ship.  No complaints except entertainment which could be better.  We also sailed on Volendam in May, same itinerary.