Seafood extravaganza at Ocean View buffet

Kordy

We are sailing on Celebrity Ascent in December out of Fort Lauderdale for 7 days. We are particularly looking forward to the Seafood Extravaganza in the OCV buffet on one of the days. Some questions :

- is it on the last sea day?

- does it offer unlimited lobster?

- is it always there or just sometimes?

- is it regular lunch hours?

Any other info or useful tips?

Thank you 

Edited by Kordy

It is lunch, yes, usually on the last sea day when they do it.  We just did a 12 night so they had one, not sure if they do it for 7 nights.  There was no lobster at all on the lunch but there was one night, an evening chic night where they did serve lobster tails but you only got one. A second one was an upcharge, around $17 plus the 20% gratuitity and hardly worth it. If you want lobster invest your money in dinner in Murano one night.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kordy said:

We are sailing on Celebrity Ascent in December out of Fort Lauderdale for 7 days. We are particularly looking forward to the Seafood Extravaganza in the OCV buffet on one of the days. Some questions :

usually

4 hours ago, Kordy said:

no.

4 hours ago, Kordy said:

depends on the length of the cruise

4 hours ago, Kordy said:

yes

• Like 1

Last time I was on a Celebrity cruise, they also did a Chocolate Show in the OCV buffet once in the evening - where they had chocolate fountains, lots of different chocolate desserts and basically a chocolate overload.  Is that still something that is done, or no more?

14 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Sometimes. Ask once you are on board if they have it scheduled for your sailing.

What does it depend on?  This is a 7 day sailing 

11 hours ago, Kordy said:

Any other info or useful tips?

Thank you 

15 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

It is lunch, yes, usually on the last sea day when they do it.  We just did a 12 night so they had one, not sure if they do it for 7 nights.  There was no lobster at all on the lunch but there was one night, an evening chic night where they did serve lobster tails but you only got one. A second one was an upcharge, around $17 plus the 20% gratuitity and hardly worth it. If you want lobster invest your money in dinner in Murano one night.  

I second Murano. Always had excellent food and service. 

4 hours ago, Frenchkona said:

When was the last time you were on a cruise ?  The ‘80’s?

Come on. It's not bad.  This is Edge clas, the best of Celebrity.  Plus the Ascent is the newest, most premium ship. 

Edited by Kordy

15 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Come on. It's not bad.  This is Edge clas, the best of Celebrity.  Plus the Ascent is the newest, most premium ship. 

Menus dont vary that much across ships so don’t look for a real seafood extravaganza, just lots of shrimp

Just shrimp?  what about fish? What about crab legs?

It's called "Seafood Extravaganza", not "Shrip Extravaganza" <-- there must be a lot more options than just shrimp!  What other "premium seafood" options are there.  I get that there is no lobster!  I was hoping for some scallops, but OK, no scallops either.

How about raw salmon? sashimi style tuna? Some "sushi" style seafood?

What else?

I am going to be on Ascent - this is the newest and most premium ship in the Celebrity fleet - Edge class.  This is not budget class.

Edited by Kordy
  • Haha 1

All menus are set by corporate. Chefs have no discretion. Except for the OVC. Buffet executive chefs can set the menu based on itinerary or demographics. Spot prices in ports of call could determine whether or not you get the extravaganza. 

Source: concierge class kitchen tour (which overall wasn’t worth the line up and cattle call process)

1 hour ago, Kordy said:

Lots of youtube videos on this if you search, but to give you links:

You will find out once on board, if it’s going to happen.  That’s pretty much the message relayed in the responses.you can continue to beat the drum, but the song is the same.  I do hope you have the extravaganza you are looking for.  Happy cruising!

Edited by Liao

I needed this thread earlier! 🙂

We were slightly disappointed that we missed it as we just ate lunch in the MDR.  Someone we knew on the cruise mentioned the seafood buffet to us later in the afternoon.  

I do not think it was very well publicized on our recent 12d sailing on Silhouette.  The only reference I saw (after the fact) was in the hardcopy of the daily under the Dine & Drink section, Lunch:

Oceanview Cafe, 14 | Farewell Buffet 12 Noon - 2:30pm

So no reference to seafood nor any reference in the other sections.  And I don't recall any special notation on the app either.

On 9/17/2024 at 11:12 PM, Kordy said:

does it offer unlimited lobster?

I have NEVER seen lobster on a cruiseship buffet with the exception of the one time I was on a maiden voyage on a cruise and the ship was hosting a large group of travel agents. The only unlimited seafood is the chilled shrimp and smoked salmon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kordy said:

Lots of youtube videos on this if you search, but to give you links:

And these you tube videos are from individuals not Celebrity it self.  Why I never pay attention to many of those videos as its there opinion and many give wrong information overall.  

6 hours ago, Miaminice said:

This was Ascent in June

Mein Film 1.mov 456.92 MB · 7 downloads  

Wow - this is amazing... I see what looks like lobsters (or is it crawfish?) and I see various types of fish, tons of shrimp done different ways and I also see a Chocolate Fountain.  If this is on a June sailing on Ascent, then I hope it continues !!! 

I'm very impressed by this video.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Wow - this is amazing... I see what looks like lobsters (or is it crawfish?) and I see various types of fish, tons of shrimp done different ways and I also see a Chocolate Fountain.  If this is on a June sailing on Ascent, then I hope it continues !!! 

I'm very impressed by this video.

There is no lobster on the buffet. Ours had piles of crawfish in addition to shrimp, shellfish, cured salmon, etc.

Edited by snohorules
  • Like 1