Plus and casual restaurant's

planb

1 minute ago, planb said:

Just an odd question but, with the plus package you get 2 each of on of the casual restaurant's, can these be used for a lunch instead of a dinner? Thanks for info or ideas.

Yes, if the casual restaurants are open for lunch.  Some ships are, some are not. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slavigne5577 said:

How does dining work on Princess? I am thinking of cruising Regal Princess.

There are 3 MDRs. One is used for early & late seating traditional dining. Another is used for reserved time dining where you select your dining time. Dining times are every 20 minutes from 5pm until around 9pm. Another is used for walk in dining. There is a section of one DR set aside for those in full suites and reserved class mini suites. This is walk in dining with prompt seating and improved service. One DRs is open each day for breakfast and lunch on sea days. Other included dining options include the World Fresh Market Place buffet, the grill and pizza by the slice by the Lido pools, International Cafe in the Piazza on deck 5. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skynight said:

There are 3 MDRs. One is used for early & late seating traditional dining. Another is used for reserved time dining where you select your dining time. Dining times are every 20 minutes from 5pm until around 9pm. Another is used for walk in dining. There is a section of one DR set aside for those in full suites and reserved class mini suites. This is walk in dining with prompt seating and improved service. One DRs is open each day for breakfast and lunch on sea days. Other included dining options include the World Fresh Market Place buffet, the grill and pizza by the slice by the Lido pools, International Cafe in the Piazza on deck 5. 

Do you have to pick traditional or reserved time dining before embarkation? What is the difference between Select restaurants and Specialty restaurants?  

8 minutes ago, slavigne5577 said:

Do you have to pick traditional or reserved time dining before embarkation? What is the difference between Select restaurants and Specialty restaurants?  

https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/food-and-dining

The website explains the dining.  There are four types of dining on Princess:

• Complimentary (Main Dining Rooms, Buffet, food at International Cafe, Lido deck Grill and Pizza by the pool, ice cream by the pool)
  • Casual Dining (dining for a fee $14.99 + 18% gratuity if you don't have Plus or Premier Package)  This includes places like Alfredo's Pizzeria, Ocean Terrace Sushi, O'Malley's Irish Pub and more.  Restaurants vary by ship.
  • Specialty Dining (dining for a fee $45.00 + 18% gratuity if you don't have Premier Package)  This includes Crown Grill, Sabatini's, The Catch and more.  Restaurants vary by ship.
  • Experiential Dining (dining for a fee $79 to $149 + 18% gratuity) This includes places like Love by Britto, Spellbound, Chef's Table, 360, Ultimate Balcony Dining and more.  Experiences vary by ship.

Most ships have 3 Main Dining Rooms.  One of them will be "Traditional Dining" with two set dining times to choose from.  One of them will be "Flexible Dining" where you make reservations ahead of time.  And the third one will be "Walk-In" with no reservation.

The "Reserve Dining Room" is only for passengers that are in "Reserve Collection Staterooms".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, planb said:

Just an odd question but, with the plus package you get 2 each of on of the casual restaurant's, can these be used for a lunch instead of a dinner?

The Emerald for example has the Salty Dog Gastropub, Steamers and Planks as casual dining venues. And none of them are open for lunch.

Whereas Alfredo's / Gigi's Pizzeria, Ocean Terrace and O'Malleys Irish Pub on other ships are open for lunch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EDVM96 said:

The Emerald for example has the Salty Dog Gastropub, Steamers and Planks as casual dining venues. And none of them are open for lunch.

Whereas Alfredo's / Gigi's Pizzeria, Ocean Terrace and O'Malleys Irish Pub on other ships are open for lunch.

To clarify, O'Malley's and Ocean Terrace are only open for lunch on sea days. Alfredo's/Gigi's is the only casual dining option open for lunch on port days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, slavigne5577 said:

No you do not have to select traditional or reserved time for dinner, if you don’t wish to.  If you wish to dine at a particular time in the dining room ,then before you embark, yes it’s advisable to make a reservation. If you like to just go with the flow, then it is possible to make a reservation once you get onboard if there are any reservations available . The main dining room also serves breakfast and lunch and no reservations are needed for that. You just show up between the hours that they’re open. Check your patter a.k.a. newsletter and it will have which dining room is serving lunch ( sea days) and breakfast and the times that they are open.
There is a walk in restaurant.( included in cruise fare) for dinner.

There is also the buffet for breakfast ,lunch ,and dinner. And that is included in your cruise fare.

For a fee you may wish to do specialty dinner like Italian (Sabatini’s) or steakhouse( Crown Grill) on Regal Princess.  Make a reservation on the app or the Web version. Once you book your cruise and it will tell you the price. Or casual dining -Alfredo’s pizzeria, Ocean Terrace, or Vines.( usually no reservations are needed. It’s a lower fee, then specialty dining.)

Here is the main DR dinner venues for Regal:

Regal Princess 2024 or 2025?

Symphony ( mid deck 5)- Traditional 5 pm ( private or shared table) or  7:30pm( private table only)

Allegro (aft deck 6)-reservable -5 pm - 8:40 pm,every 20 minute reservation time slots

Concerto-(mid deck 6)-walk in & Reserve Collection DR

princess.com has lots of information for you as well.

also if you don’t already have a travel agent that is experienced in cruises, you should find one in your local area or ask family and friends for a recommendation.travel agents that cruise often have many of these answers for you and I highly recommend booking with one of them.

you have a choice on princess to book standard cruise fare, plus cruise fare package ,or premier cruise fare package and all of that information is on princess.com

I don’t know what you mean by select restaurants? I have not heard that term before. Maybe you mean casual? And I included the names of the casual above.

Edited by arizonaperson

2 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

You do not have to select your traditional or reserved time dining before board. BUT, if you don't the available times will be limited. I feel it is better to select and then change if you wish once on board. You select dining in the app. There is no program to select on the web version.

Specialty restaurants are those such as the Crown Grill Steak House, and Sabatini's Italian restaurant. When you pre-book on line there is a charge to your credit card at the time of booking. If you have the premier fare package there is no charge for these restaurants.

Princess does not use the word "select" for its restaurants. There are the MDRs, Specialty and Casual Restaurants. There are also dining experiences. One example is the Chef's Table. 

9 hours ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Gigi's Pizzeria by Alfredo will be open for lunches.  O'Malley's Irish Pub should be open for lunch on sea days.

Unless they use it for the Pop Up Crab Shack like they did when it was Salty Dog Pub. When we were last on Discovery in April it was like that. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

6 hours ago, coscab said:

First time on Princess, sailing Caribbean Princess, is Vines open as a casual dining venue for dinner?

I believe Vines is open at 10 or 11 am to 11pm on sea days- approximately . Port days 5 pm- 11pm approximately. See if you can get ahold of a recent Caribbean Princess Patter/ event listing. Here’s the menu if you haven’t seen it.IMG_9417.thumb.jpeg.b033c526311e6bd6d046155f04c8a8f5.jpeg

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Gigi's Pizzeria by Alfredo will be open for lunches. 

We went twice for lunch, once on a port day and once on a sea day.

We hadn’t booked for either.

I normally avoid Pizza, as I am Dairy Intolerant. We Spoke to the Manager as we were passing and he said that they could accommodate us.

They made a Lactose Free Pizza for me, using tomato instead of cheese..

It was delicious.

6131333B-9568-4261-93E3-54862C6D6A4C.thumb.jpeg.f205af879d451df12227b37ab22877c3.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, upwarduk said:

We went twice for lunch, once on a port day and once on a sea day.

We hadn’t booked for either.

I normally avoid Pizza, as I am Dairy Intolerant. We Spoke to the Manager as we were passing and he said that they could accommodate us.

They made a Lactose Free Pizza for me, using tomato instead of cheese..

It was delicious.

6131333B-9568-4261-93E3-54862C6D6A4C.thumb.jpeg.f205af879d451df12227b37ab22877c3.jpeg

I have never seen an option to pre book Alfredo’s just walk up and if they are full you would be given a pager