Shocking wait to get through to P&O

Had same issue chasing to get flight details.  My phone/broadband only allows free calls upto 1 hour so after 1.5 hours on hold and still no answer I ended up with a £12 charge on my tel bill for a call that achieved nothing other than wasting my time.

Many years ago, the biggest cruise agent went bust.  I had four cruises with P&O, which I had paid deposits with via the cruise agent ( that P&O did not receive).

Yet P&O honoured all the bookings losing hundreds of pounds.

Ever since I have booked direct, sometimes waiting on the phone for awhile.

I am not that bothered that some people may get good treatment from their TAs but a lot don’t.

Also I have usually an extra month before I have to pay the final payment.

I won’t mention the cruise agent but they were huge, having 2 or 3 pages of adverts in the Sunday papers.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, posford said:

I am not that bothered that some people may get good treatment from their TAs but a lot don’t.

Equally, the two occasions I've booked directy are the only times I've ever encountered issues, one never resolved, the other left me very stressed after weeks of trying to speak to someone, so will never book directly again.

Of the issues I have encountered my Cruise Agent has dealt with it speedily and efficiently.

I guess it come down to person preference at the end of the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, posford said:

Many years ago, the biggest cruise agent went bust.  I had four cruises with P&O, which I had paid deposits with via the cruise agent ( that P&O did not receive).

Yet P&O honoured all the bookings losing hundreds of pounds.

Ever since I have booked direct, sometimes waiting on the phone for awhile.

Also I have usually an extra month before I have to pay the final payment.

I won’t mention the cruise agent but they were huge, having 2 or 3 pages of adverts in the Sunday papers.

Quite agree never had any issues and have never had any problems and like you prefer to pay nearer sailing. I see no reason to change. 

4 hours ago, sandancer said:

I recently called Princess. I did not press the new booking option and I was put through to a call center overseas. After a few minutes discussion I realized that I was getting nowhere and disconnected. I then called back using the new cruise option and lo and behold the agent was in Southampton and answered my query quickly. I was given to understand that P&O, Cunard and Princess share the same office but have no idea if this is true. If so P&O  must be having way more calls than the other 2 lines. 

With reference to P&O/Cunard, not sure about Princess, they don't only use same offices they are the same staff. There are no employees of P&O or Cunard any longer they all work for Carnival UK and operate across both cruise lines.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

With reference to P&O/Cunard, not sure about Princess, they don't only use same offices they are the same staff. There are no employees of P&O or Cunard any longer they all work for Carnival UK and operate across both cruise lines.

That’s the first time I’ve been shunted off to an office far, far away I have to say. Always spoken to someone in Southampton when I’ve called any one of the 3 cruise lines previously. 

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

That’s the first time I’ve been shunted off to an office far, far away I have to say. Always spoken to someone in Southampton when I’ve called any one of the 3 cruise lines previously. 

Yes they work in Southampton head office. Occasionally in the past when cruised with Princess if they are busy then your call can be transferred to Princess in US.

6 hours ago, david63 said:

I've had the reverse before now - rund P&O and answerd Cunard. The point here is that if you ring the Cunard number you get to speak to someone almost immediatly which seems strange if they deal with both brands. If you phone Princess (in the same building) the phone is answered straight away!

I don't believe that Princess comes under the Carnival UK grouping, only P&O and Cunard. I think they have their own separate customer service dept.