So, about Pinnacle Grill...

Ka Honu

7 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I hear ya. That said, I had very good service in PG on Volendam. I chose the banquette side of the table, rather than face the wall. When the waiter removed the other place setting, he rearranged the vase, candle, and salt and pepper to fill some of that space so it didn't look, well for want of a better word, so it didn't look lonely. I thought that was a kind gesture. 

That waiter is a class act! I've had a similar experience in the MDR. It just makes for a more pleasant meal.

• Like 3

Back in the day, I worked as a waitress to put myself thru college.  Maybe serving standards have changed, but this is the way I was trained:

Good service is promptly refilling a water glass or coffee cup when requested by the customer.  Excellent service is noticing the empty glass or cup, and refilling before the customer asks. 

Good service is bringing the customer a cup of coffee or tea when they ask for it, after you've put down the dessert plate.  Excellent service is asking the customer if they want coffee or tea when you take the dessert order, and asking if they take cream and/or sugar with it.  

I could give 10 other examples, but I think you get the point.  I could sit in the Pinnacle or DR all night and request things - bread, bread, water, S&P, ketchup, coffee, etc., but it's not relaxed or attentive service.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dave JS said:

When do the Specialty Restaurants open for booking on HAL ships, PInnacle class ships in particular?

It’s totally random. Unlike other lines with very specific timeline (ex 90 days prior to sailing),  I can’t find a pattern with HAL. My January cruise on Oosterdam and February cruise on Kdam opened on the same day about 5 months prior to the Jan trip and 6 months prior for the Feb trip.

Roz

I totally agree and was taught the same.  I expect and have usually received excellent service in Pinnacle and am sorry others have not. I hope for and have often received excellent service in the MDR (and a couple of bars too).  Usually the service is at least  good.  But if I am not getting the service I want, I will either move to another table (this more in the lido or in a bar) or say something. If the bread people had to ask for bread every night I could definitely see their point and would hope they reported it on the exit survey.  But to complain they didn't get any bread for seven nights when they never asked is just silly.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2024 at 9:36 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

To the OP- Thanks for sharing your experience. It helps us all keep expectations in line. If HAL surpasses, great. If not, disappointment may be lessened.

@Hlitner I hesitate to say this out loud, but on pinnacle class the Ny Deli has an awesome lime basalmic.  By the end of 35 days I was getting my salad in the lido and walking it upstairs for dressing. 

Good to know

On 9/28/2024 at 11:38 AM, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not sure how many posts have have accused anyone of being "greedy". I think some of the complaints have been "petty" (feel free to quote me on that). If you didn't get a bread basket, ask for one (don't complain on CC after the fact). If you feel that half a baked potato is cheaping out, ask for another.

I'm going to come to OPs defense here. You are assuming that someone comes back to check on you after bringing your food. You are assuming there is someone to talk to near your table who cares. My last meal at the PG had fairly poor service. I ordered all of my courses from the waiter. Someone else brought my mushroom soup and left. A different person arrived 15 minutes later and dropped off my filet minot. They didn't ask me how the soup was or if I wanted more bread. He never asked me how the steak was. It was fine. And yes, I received the half-baked potato that was lukewarm and over done. Baked potato should be hot to the touch, fluffy, and white. Steam should be seen frothing in the air from the potato. None of this was present and the person who left the baked potato was not seen again until the baked Alaska arrived. Also, three small beets? What's up with that? Again, who was I supposed to ask? No one was around and no one returned. Life can be lonely in the PG at 5pm.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, badtwin said:

You didn't get gist.

You ever work service? It's hard. Especially to the seriously entitled.

My experience on HAL is service is not always perfect but if you let them know there is a problem or if you like something a certain way, they will do their best to fix it. 

If you save your whinging for cruise critic, it is too late for them to do any better.

Your posts are awesome.  It doesn't mean that passengers should accept sub standard service but if you make no attempt to let them solve the problem it's hard to get sympathy.  On a HAL ship you are not dining at an elite restaurant in your favorite city.  Your are dining at a specialty restaurant on a main line cruise ship that is charging for your experience.  It's a first world problem that is easily remedied.  I love post #77.  When you get a baked potato do you not cut it open so that you can put your favorite toppings in.  Well they give you a potato that is ready for your toppings.  I do think that anyone who has made their displeasure known and nothing is done should ask for the charge to be taken off of their account.  As mentioned, not all Pinnacle managers and staff are exemplary.  JMO. Cherie  

On 9/25/2024 at 6:56 PM, wdw1972 said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Pinnacle lunch menu has changed significantly recently. No more burger. Now it's basically most of the dinner menu, minus the regional specialties and a handful of other things. It was rolled out on Westerdam a couple weeks ago, and it's in the Navigator app for my upcoming Zuiderdam cruise. It might be fleet-wide by now.

Dinner has also changed, but to a lesser degree.  Some items are gone, and some new items are on there.

Sue/WDW1972

If the burger was dropped from the lunch menu, this was a very recent change because it was on the menu and served on our Nieuw Statendam Northern Lights cruise 8/24-9/7.

7 minutes ago, 2inSETexas said:

If the burger was dropped from the lunch menu, this was a very recent change because it was on the menu and served on our Nieuw Statendam Northern Lights cruise 8/24-9/7.

That’s correct - it was shortly after your cruise. 

Sue/WDW1972