More at Sea

PhillyTravelBug

43 minutes ago, txcfa said:

I was able to get on the phone with NCL and the agent (YMMV) was able to confirm FAS+ works for bookings prior to 10/01/24 and sailing before 12/31/24, so our Dec cruise seems to be "fine".   I had not purchased the specialty dining packages for our kiddos yet, and those are gone, so it'll be monitoring as we approach and potentially shifting where we dine as a family.

I was able to get an e-doc benefit statement that I plan to definitely have with me on the cruise!

I did this as well yesterday via two separate paths for our December 20th cruise

- online Chat:  I saved the entire conversation and plan on bringing that with me along with all the newly printed (and dated 10/1) confirmation of amenities and full payment receipts also showing the FAS+ purchase.

- My PCC called me last night to discuss our 2025 and 2026 bookings but we reviewed this upcoming cruise and he too confirmed that we would have all the FAS+ benefits in December.

That all said, I'm anxious to hear what those sailing this month and next experience.  I certainly don't wish to spend my first hours on the ship standing in line at Guest Services to fight for my high end bourbon's....I want to be on deck sipping them at that point!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miss_Confused said:

Well this will be interesting, boarding in 4 days for a 12 day cruise... several of the options I planned for have disappeared now such as the plus package. I can work remote and this was going to be my "see if I can work remotely on NCL" cruise. Seems though that they are raising prices and reducing options for solos while promoting 3rd and 4rth passengers which  seems like a silly choice

We do too - on the Epic. My TA emailed a list of our included amenities and the FAS+ items are listed. Also, they should still be listed on your Edocs. She told me it is a computer (tech) glitch and that we WILL get our FAS+ perks. Enjoy your cruise! 🥂

IMG_5820.jpeg

• Like 1

Having just read through the two main threads and 100's of posts regarding MAS there are still many questions that remain unanswered.  NCL is maintaining that the new MAS will have 45% more premium liquors as compared to the current in pace FAS.  Would love to see the list of what alcohols will be included.  In particular hoping that the availability of wine by the glass gets a 45% bump.  It sure needs it.

Also reading through comments and between the lines in what NCL is letting out so far I think it is just about a 100% guarantee lock that a MAS plus or whatever they decide to call it will be forthcoming.  Too many people like it and are willing to pay extra for the Starbucks, bottled waters, and access to the connoisseur and super premium alcohols. 

The devil is in the details.  As of now, at the least,  those of us that usually get the standard drink package will get an expanded selection of drinks.  We just don't know what they are yet.  I guess it will depend on what the underlying alcohol needed to make the drink.  We shall see.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nonibop said:

Will canned soda still be available, no point in providing premium spirits and then using soda gun .

canned soda was never officially part of the premium plus package or any package.

giving a can to a guest or pouring soda from a can was (and remains) a discretionary decision for the bartender, based on his or her convenience or any number of other factors, including the relationship and pattern of service the guest has developed with the bartender and, sometimes, the tips the bartender has received. cans are most often behind the bar for certain drinks that are not in the gun, most commonly sprite zero and coke zero, but for other products, too.

whatever mojo/magic you have used to get soda from a can in the past will likely work equally as well under the new world order.

Have a Feb 2026 cruise booked in Australia, and was planning on upgrading to FAS+. I am now pricing Princess Cruises for around that time because I am not too well pleased at this change. I can get Premiere Plus on Princess and get what I USED to get on NCL, and get a better room for about the same price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

Also reading through comments and between the lines in what NCL is letting out so far I think it is just about a 100% guarantee lock that a MAS plus or whatever they decide to call it will be forthcoming.  Too many people like it and are willing to pay extra for the Starbucks, bottled waters, and access to the connoisseur and super premium alcohols. 

What Norwegian knows, and we don't, is how much profit they were making on FAS+. While there are a lot of vocal people online affected by it, I have to imagine it's a relatively minority who upgrade to that. If the only people who upgrade to it are maxing out on the waters, Starbucks coffees (which I assume Starbucks gets a portion) and high-end liquors, then they could be loosing money and have to change it. It reminds me of Carnival who said they'd never do a refreshment only drink package because they'd end up loosing money on it with the relatively low margin on non-alcoholic drinks compared to alcohol. 

1 minute ago, ray985 said:

What Norwegian knows, and we don't, is how much profit they were making on FAS+. While there are a lot of vocal people online affected by it, I have to imagine it's a relatively minority who upgrade to that. If the only people who upgrade to it are maxing out on the waters, Starbucks coffees (which I assume Starbucks gets a portion) and high-end liquors, then they could be loosing money and have to change it. It reminds me of Carnival who said they'd never do a refreshment only drink package because they'd end up loosing money on it with the relatively low margin on non-alcoholic drinks compared to alcohol. 

For us as we are in our early 70s, the main draw for the FAS+ was the extra $50 per excursion for the 2nd person, 2 extra SD meals, unlimited internet, and the free bottled water and Starbuck's hot chocolate (for my DW). For me I usually just have a glass of Moscato at lunch and a couple glasses at dinner, and that's pretty much it for alcohol. But that would be nice if they introduced a version of MAS+ that included those perks as well. 

12 hours ago, UKstages said:

NCL has revealed a comprehensive list of exclusions to the MAS beverage package. i don't think there is anything surprising here, but it's nice to see it all in one place. 

bottled water/ bottled wine
connoisseur's collection
designated super-premium brands (list subject to change)

starbucks
energy drinks

freshly squeezed juices

vending machines 
ice bars
mini-bar purchases
package sales
room service
ship-specific promotions or beer buckets
wine dispenser
wine and spirit experiences, tastings or flights

i am hard pressed to understand the distinction between "super premium brands" and the "connoisseur collection."  what is the connoisseur collection comprised of, if not super premium brands? also, where are these "vending machines" they speak of on NCL ships? i'm not sure i've ever seen one. i also don't see harvest caye bars excluded on this list, but i'm pretty sure they will be. 

Isn't the Connoisseur Collection the liquor that was not included with the Premium Plus package.  I would think something like the $395 Rip Van Winkle is part the the Collection.  I think the super premium brands will be something like the Hennessy XO which is $50.  It will be interesting to see what the cut off is for the super premium brands.  I would think its the ones that are either $30 or $35 as of now.  

Edited by Liljo22

13 hours ago, chachcha said:

Hi fellow cruisers, we need some help here....

Our flight arrives in Heathrow Feb. 1st, at 10 AM, and our hotel is at the Holiday Inn near the cruise port in Southampton, therefore can someone kindly confirm that we can buy a bus ticket from Heathrow Airport to Southampton ?  Thank you, gloria c

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/destinations/southampton?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD9GmLWGcF0KEjYbzbVd1ccCZeRZm&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3vO3BhCqARIsAEWblcBzwoFOeCgsNYIaoZXcTXxaprc6lKeJWNWX6qU_TF638iHuG1iPdk0aAucWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

57 minutes ago, ray985 said:

Very very very few “took advantage of” the FAS+ money grab. Or the Premium Plus beverage package money grab. The vast majority of cruisers took the basic package and enjoyed. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Very very very few “took advantage of” the FAS+ money grab. Or the Premium Plus beverage package money grab. The vast majority of cruisers took the basic package and enjoyed. 

This was my point on the other thread.

Outside of these very convoluted forums, I don't believe that there is a high percentage of ncl cruisers booking those packages. In fact, I think it's pretty miniscule.

With that in mind, NCL may have just done a good thing for the "majority" of their cruisers, not the loudest. Lol!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Do you have insider information that we don't know about to be able to make this statement?

• Like 1

compared to chrysler vehicles, very very very few people buy teslas. 

very very very few people purchase a lobster tail with their "free" cagney's dinner.

when compared to the full passenger roster, very very very few people stay in the haven.

that is the very nature of niche products. they are not meant to appeal to all.

now, presumably a company knows what it's doing when it offers niche products and product enhancements and has priced them appropriately and figured out how to have the product turn a profit. NCL may have discovered that its wildly successful and much beloved premium plus product was not profitable. either because it wasn't priced properly or there were a core number of super users who drank them dry. that's a whole other story. but to suggest that the premium plus program was somehow unsuccessful because it may have attracted a relatively small number of purchases is unfair. it was by its very nature designed to attract a small number of purchasers. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

This question came up in the M&G on our Canada/New England cruise last fall. Per the Food & Beverage Director on the Joy, 34% of over 21's had Free @Sea+ on that voyage.  However, vast majority of drink orders were $20 and under.  Passengers weren't going crazy on orders on high end spirits and wine - just alot of orders that would have resulted in $1 - $5 additional charges.   The $50 shore excursion credits were well utilized as were the additional dining (90%+) on both.  He didn't comment on unlimited internet, but 1,200 to 1,500 unlimited users on a ship with Starlink is probably a big loser for NCL now. Internet most likely drove their FAS+ decision since mark-up on alcohol is huge and additional speciality dining probably doesn't cost them that much either.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mikegw2 said:

This question came up in the M&G on our Canada/New England cruise last fall. Per the Food & Beverage Director on the Joy, 34% of over 21's had Free @Sea+ on that voyage.  However, vast majority of drink orders were $20 and under.  Passengers weren't going crazy on orders on high end spirits and wine - just alot of orders that would have resulted in $1 - $5 additional charges.   The $50 shore excursion credits were well utilized as were the additional dining (90%+) on both.  He didn't comment on unlimited internet, but 1,200 to 1,500 unlimited users on a ship with Starlink is probably a big loser for NCL now. Internet most likely drove their FAS+ decision since mark-up on alcohol is huge and additional speciality dining probably doesn't cost them that much either.

I find it difficult to believe that 34% of adults on any ncl sailing would purchase fas+. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, mikegw2 said:

Even if only 10% of cruisers went with the FAS+ package that represents a need to fill for NCL by offering a MAS+ package.  I stand by what I posted earlier that I would not  be surprised if a MAS+ package is coming.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I find it difficult to believe that 34% of adults on any ncl sailing would purchase fas+. 

Average age of the passengers on a Canada & New England cruises is higher than most cruises.  Probably a lot of folks that are particular about what they drink, can afford it and aren't looking to cruise as cheap as possible.  Also convenience perhaps.  My wife and I took a 14 day Panama canal cruise with my parents.  My wife and mom were both drinking sidecars the entire trip which weren't included in the basic drink package at the time.  I ended up with over 90 little charges for $3.40 each -- pretty annoying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

but to suggest that the premium plus program was somehow unsuccessful because it may have attracted a relatively small number of purchases is unfair. it was by its very nature designed to attract a small number of purchasers. 

True, but is fair to assume that the premium plus program may have been cancelled because it was unsuccessful.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

Even if only 10% of cruisers went with the FAS+ package that represents a need to fill for NCL by offering a MAS+ package.  I stand by what I posted earlier that I would not  be surprised if a MAS+ package is coming.

At what price? It can't be the same since the alcohol isn't the same.

The Mo MAS will include:

-$50 shorex for 2nd guest (this means that everything else is FREE folks! Not really. You can't take a shorex every day but you might be able to take more than one a day.)

-Unlimited Internet 

-mo specialty dining

-Starbucks

-Water package

I don't know what they'd do about the alcohol difference with Premium Plus. Charge the same price or slightly less and see how many people bite. Of course it will be coinciding with price increases for all the items involved. Mo money mo money mo money.

Edit: Throw in the daily service charges too. Case closed. Make it so.

Edited by mistertomatoe

15 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

True, but is fair to assume that the premium plus program may have been cancelled because it was unsuccessful. 

that's the whole point of my previous post.

how does one define success?

premium plus was wildly successful among the passionate guests who purchased the program.

it may not have been priced appropriately by NCL or they may not have put controls in place to ensure the program wasn't abused, making it financially unviable. 

there are a number of "all you can eat" sushi restaurants near me. they all lost money when they opened because a small number of customers ate, well, all they could eat! sort of. what they actually did was eat all the fish they could eat. they didn't eat the rice at all. rice is cheap. fish isn't. the restaurants instituted a rule that said you have to eat all the rice or you can't order more sushi. 

i stand by my statement. to suggest that the premium plus program was somehow unsuccessful because it may have attracted a relatively small number of purchases is unfair. it was by its very nature designed to attract a small number of purchasers. the concept most likely has been retired by NCL because it wasn't financially viable.

Edited by UKstages

4 minutes ago, UKstages said:

that's the whole point of my previous post.

how does one define success?

premium plus was wildly successful among the passionate guests who purchased the program.

Even more important is who defines success.  While a program maybe wildly popular among customers, it may still be cancelled because the business owner defines it as 'unsuccessful', ie, it is unprofitable.  Or, it maybe that whatever profit there is is swamped by difficulties in managing the program.  IOW, the program isn't worthwhile to the owner.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, UKstages said:

It would be more correct to phrase it this way: "Premium Plus was unsuccessful because, although those who purchased it were very enthusiastic about it, they were too few in number." High enthusiasm doesn't override popularity. They were smart to ditch it, in my opinion.

• Like 3