Celebrity Error - Build a "Class System" into Your Ships

On 10/18/2024 at 2:59 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

On our cruise the roped off area for retreat was only on evening chic nights. The premium access pass is roped off every night for those who have the pass. 

You may not know this, but were Retreat guests allowed to sit in the PAP roped off every night as well, or was it reserved exclusively for folks that paid for Premium Access?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

On 10/11/2024 at 5:00 PM, At Sea At Peace said:

Way too much micro offended citations, all with underlying false premise that 'if you pay more, you should get more' and 'if you do, you took it away from others.'

Absurd.

More appropriate, the inappropriate inference that Celebrity is the sole 'culprit' and doing it to make money or appease the upper classes of passengers.

Yikes.

The macro, and not a culprit thesis, is that NCL and MSC, in all of their new builds in the past decade, as well as proposed ships on order, designate the front upper decks of the ships for the 'ship within a ship' stateroom or suite selection, private lounge, dining and sundeck.

Imagine the outrage is Celebrity provided Retreat guests with wristbands or key cards with "elevator overrides" to all the Retreat guests to essentially get their own elevator in priority over all others?

Celebrity doesn't.

MSC does and Yacht Club guests can!!!

Oh the outrage.  🤫

I was also on Royal Caribbeans icon.  Suite amenities are enhanced.  

3 hours ago, Caipi said:

I think the OP had the biggest problem with some theater seats which he could use earlier and cannot use anymore. That's something which was literally taken away from guests.

(I personally do not care at all; I'm not interested in theater shows and I bought Premium Access anyway.) . 

The roped off area can still be used though. It's just others who have passes get first pick of the seats - it gets opened up for everyone else like 10 mins before the show starts. 

To me if it was taken away you couldn't sit there, you can the OP just never waited for it to be opened up. So it wasn't taken away.

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You may not know this, but were Retreat guests allowed to sit in the PAP roped off every night as well, or was it reserved exclusively for folks that paid for Premium Access?

I really don't know.  We didn't utilize that area at all as the location of the roped off area does not suit us.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I really don't know.  We didn't utilize that area at all as the location of the roped off area does not suit us.  

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I was wondering the same thing. The website states only chic nights for suites. We have a Aqua Sky Suite and are thinking of adding the Priority Access Pass for access to reserved seats every night.

Maybe they will change the seating policy for suites as they recently did for the mini bar. I think the Priority Access Pass is a pretty good deal get get a lot of suite perks for very little money. Especially if you do not need drinks or you get an inexpensive move up offer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

How many seats are in the theater and this person is too lazy and entitled to find another?  They insist on their private seat that no one can use but I’m the problem for paying for a reserved AREA not a specific seat?

”Moooom someone’s in my seat!!!”  😭😭😭

"Lazy and Entitled" Mr. Zitsky? That's called an ad-hominem attack -- I've replied to your many attack posts with one of my own, but won't do that again. And yet, you continue. Please get off my back.

We have no favorite seats in the theater -- most seats are excellent. I reported that on the BEYOND cruise we enjoyed, each night we were forced to take some very sub-standard temporary seating that was installed at the back of the hall because of the roped-off areas which were present for every performance. Perhaps that only happens on sold-out cruises, but my thought is (based on the way a security guard spoke to us) that it instills ill-feelings in at least some percentage of the passengers and certainly disturbs what had been the norm for so many years. (That is, you go early and take whatever seat you want.) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

It’s a big theatre with plenty of places to sit. Every other large ship has the same class system, most are even more segregated. If you want to return to the days of old, try small ships. 

That's not true on a sold-out cruise. We had dozens of people standing in the back, where they couldn't even get the temporary chairs that were slipped in behind the bar stool seating at the back. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

To me if it was taken away you couldn't sit there, you can the OP just never waited for it to be opened up. So it wasn't taken away.

This is not true. The ship was a sold out cruise and there were people standing in the back as well as a lot of temporary brought-in chairs for those with disabilities or who just couldn't stand for an hour or more. Please, don't assume that frequent cruisers don't know the "secrets" to getting theater seats in this class system. The people who waited for the roped off areas to open up were the ones who were standing for the entire show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BV0 said:

I think the Priority Access Pass is a pretty good deal get get a lot of suite perks for very little money. Especially if you do not need drinks or you get an inexpensive move up offer.

We purchased the PAP mainly for the 2-device perk but will definitely take advantage of the other perks that come with it as we now only book our non-suite cabin with the Cruise Only fare.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

No problem. Hopefully, they will only allow PAP card holders to sit there since that’s what’s being advertised. But my guess is it won’t be long before it will be an included Suite perk at some point.

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

No problem. Hopefully, they will only allow PAP card holders to sit there since that’s what’s being advertised. But my guess is it won’t be long before it will be an included Suite perk at some point.

I'm on the other side of the fence and would to see seats reserved for suites every  night. I do not think celebrity will make the change though as it could upset a lot of people.

26 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I read that it already applied to suites. Can't verify yet, sailing in 6 weeks.

1 hour ago, retiredtraveler70 said:

"Lazy and Entitled" Mr. Zitsky? That's called an ad-hominem attack -- I've replied to your many attack posts with one of my own, but won't do that again. And yet, you continue. Please get off my back.

We have no favorite seats in the theater -- most seats are excellent. I reported that on the BEYOND cruise we enjoyed, each night we were forced to take some very sub-standard temporary seating that was installed at the back of the hall because of the roped-off areas which were present for every performance. Perhaps that only happens on sold-out cruises, but my thought is (based on the way a security guard spoke to us) that it instills ill-feelings in at least some percentage of the passengers and certainly disturbs what had been the norm for so many years. (That is, you go early and take whatever seat you want.) 

I apologize.  Was there something or someone preventing you from getting to the theater early?  

19 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I read that it already applied to suites. Can't verify yet, sailing in 6 weeks.

I checked the website last week and it only said chic nights. They could be doing something on the ships.

Wife and I were on Beyond Oct 5th for the 8 night ABC island cruise in the Retreat. As far as theater seating went, the right entrance of the balcony had an iPad that said something like Reserved for Retreat Guests. The center section and sections to the right were reserved. There was a rope on the left side of the center section and there were butlers that wanted to see your gray seapass card. This was every night. I don’t know if there was an iPad at the left entrance. We set in the reserved center section every night and enjoyed the seats. A couple of times we did see some upset people making comments to the butlers. I did not see any sign about an area for passengers with some kind of passes.

As far as the Retreat and restricted areas of the ship, this was our first Celebrity cruise and we thoroughly enjoyed every perk and Retreat area. We will never sail on Celebrity without being in the Retreat and we totally got our money’s worth.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Espn said:

Wife and I were on Beyond Oct 5th for the 8 night ABC island cruise in the Retreat. As far as theater seating went, the right entrance of the balcony had an iPad that said something like Reserved for Retreat Guests. The center section and sections to the right were reserved. There was a rope on the left side of the center section and there were butlers that wanted to see your gray seapass card. This was every night. I don’t know if there was an iPad at the left entrance. We set in the reserved center section every night and enjoyed the seats. A couple of times we did see some upset people making comments to the butlers. I did not see any sign about an area for passengers with some kind of passes.

As far as the Retreat and restricted areas of the ship, this was our first Celebrity cruise and we thoroughly enjoyed every perk and Retreat area. We will never sail on Celebrity without being in the Retreat and we totally got our money’s worth.

Thanks for the information. We hope to see the early show most nights and may not be able to get there too early. We might eat at Blu most nights since being on an Aqua suite and not caring much for the suites specialty restaurant menu for most nights. Blu is closer to the theater.

15 minutes ago, Espn said:

That would make the most sense since that area is normally reserved for suite guests on Chic (formal) nights.

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That would make the most sense since that area is normally reserved for suite guests on Chic (formal) nights.

I'm happy you got your money's worth . . . that's what makes it such fun! We weren't in the Retreat, but a very enjoyable cruise, with the exception of the shows at night, where the roped off areas meant that people were standing in the back or sitting in seats placed there temporarily (with no view of the stage). If this is the way things are going folks, if you aren't in a Suite or paying extra you'll possibly be upset (as we were) to lose seat options in the theater. As this poster says, it was EVERY night, and "there were passengers getting upset at the roped off areas." Since we said nothing to them and simply found a temporary (no view) seat, these were others making their concerns known. The people we spoke with on either side of us were furious, and I saw many people exclaiming to the security people (butlers?) about their concerns.  As the thread has mentioned, taking away someone's right to food, beverage and entertainment and giving it away as a "perk" signals an unwelcome move to a class system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We largely booked an Aqua Sky Suite over a regular aqua class for the reserved theater seating option on chic nights and the retreat lounge. We sometimes book the most basic accommodations and other imes the other end of the spectrum. I never mind people getting perks I don't, but understand not everyone feels the same way. 

1 minute ago, Espn said:

I will add that the reserved seating was never full when the ropes came down 5 to 10 minutes before show time and the empty seats were quickly filled. We never saw anyone standing at the back or in temporary chairs.

It is great they open up the reserved seating for everyone before the show starts.