Another Tipping Question

I just wanted to know if you have to tip your waiter and asst. waiter if you never set foot in the dinning room. Or if you only show up twice can you prorate your tip?

I don't what you to think I'm a cheapskate, I'm not. I have always tipped above the required tip, but I have always shown up for most meals. We are going to Bermuda and we are not sure if we will come back to the ship in time for dinner some nights. And I only have winter formal wear and I do not feel like buying new since I rarely go on a summer cruise.

So what is the proper thing to do?

I just wanted to know if you have to tip your waiter and asst. waiter if you never set foot in the dinning room. Or if you only show up twice can you prorate your tip?

I don't what you to think I'm a cheapskate, I'm not. I have always tipped above the required tip, but I have always shown up for most meals. We are going to Bermuda and we are not sure if we will come back to the ship in time for dinner some nights. And I only have winter formal wear and I do not feel like buying new since I rarely go on a summer cruise.

So what is the proper thing to do?

some people are going to bash you for asking that...

tipping is discretionary - tip the way that makes you feel best.

would I ever do that? no. but you are not me.

"What is proper"? Tipping the full amount.

but tip as you see fit, period.

In theory, you are tipping not just for the service they provide at dinner time, but at breakfast and lunch as well. At breakfast and lunch your waiter and asst. waiter are probably serving in either the dining room or the buffet. On every cruise we always met them in the buffet at some point at breakfast or lunch where they are handing out plates, clearing tables, pouring coffee, etc. That being said, I can understand being reluctant to tip them if you never eat dinner in the dining room and you have never even met them.

I'd tip, just because it's not my waiters fault that I was put in his section, but don't plan on eating there. Even if I don't show up, I'm still at his assigned table, meaning another passenger who would eat there and tip still can't take my place. Also, the tip covers his duties in the lunch/breakfast times as well (I've seen my waiters up the buffet area many times).

It's your decision though, and I won't think badly of you if you decide not to. Just wanted to give you my thoughts on it, so you can have more information/perspective before making a decision. :D

Peg, did you take a whippin?

Im with the others...there are plenty of opinions and threads on this exact question...tip if you feel like, dont if you dont...as stated these people work for tips...tips on a cruise ship are not the same as tips at your local restaurant...on the ship ,as has been stated time and again, the servers work all the meal, not just dinner and not just in the dining room, so just because you tip the last night in the dining room, that is not all you are tipping for...

as said before, just do what you think is appropraite...

Have a super curise...

ps: remember Formal is very subjective...dont miss out on formal night just b/c you dont want to get new summer formal wear...(Putting on my hard hat and morter gear b/c some will blast me for saying this) you can go in nice pants ,a nice shirt and tie, or a nice dressy outfit (whichever is more suitable for your gender and style) and you will be dressed like a large cross section of the other cruisers

Enjoy your cruise!

Im with the others...there are plenty of opinions and threads on this exact question...tip if you feel like, dont if you dont...as stated these people work for tips...tips on a cruise ship are not the same as tips at your local restaurant...on the ship ,as has been stated time and again, the servers work all the meal, not just dinner and not just in the dining room, so just because you tip the last night in the dining room, that is not all you are tipping for...

as said before, just do what you think is appropraite...

Have a super curise...

ps: remember Formal is very subjective...dont miss out on formal night just b/c you dont want to get new summer formal wear...(Putting on my hard hat and morter gear b/c some will blast me for saying this) you can go in nice pants ,a nice shirt and tie, or a nice dressy outfit (whichever is more suitable for your gender and style) and you will be dressed like a large cross section of the other cruisers

Enjoy your cruise!

Yup, sure did.....they pulled the thread, too.

I agree with Bethwte and Parrothead, but THEY gets to say it this time, so I don't get another beating....:D :D :D

Think of it this way: you show up for work, ready and willing, but there is nothing to do. Since there is nothing to do, you do not get paid for it, but, you can't leave, just in case some work does show up.

Tipping is discretionary, but on a cruise for me, there is also a moral and financial obligation. If you do not tip, or cut back on the tip for the week, you are cutting into their wages for the week. Do so if you are comfortable with that fact.

Why not change your dinner seating time to the later seating?

Your winter formal clothing will work in the summer on a cruise.

Whatever your choices, have a great cruise!

My "TIP" to all tipping questions:

Don't ask them. It's not our business what you tip, and it's not your business what I tip!

Tipping is a personal thing. Everyone views it differently. And can you honnestly say that your not just going to do what you want to anyway?

Some people tip too little, some tip too much, and some tip exactly as reccomended, but all of them do what they feel like doing.

Think of it this way: you show up for work, ready and willing, but there is nothing to do. Since there is nothing to do, you do not get paid for it, but, you can't leave, just in case some work does show up.

Tipping is discretionary, but on a cruise for me, there is also a moral and financial obligation. If you do not tip, or cut back on the tip for the week, you are cutting into their wages for the week. Do so if you are comfortable with that fact.

Why not change your dinner seating time to the later seating?

Your winter formal clothing will work in the summer on a cruise.

Whatever your choices, have a great cruise!

And, here's ANOTHER person I agree with......where the heck were all you guys while I was getting beaten to a pulp last weekend?.......sitting there eating popcorn and watching the show?.....LOL :D :D

My "TIP" to all tipping questions:

Don't ask them. It's not our business what you tip, and it's not your business what I tip!

Tipping is a personal thing. Everyone views it differently. And can you honnestly say that your not just going to do what you want to anyway?

Some people tip too little, some tip too much, and some tip exactly as reccomended, but all of them do what they feel like doing.

Tara, Im a little confused:confused: :confused:

So exactly what do you tip???

And, here's ANOTHER person I agree with......where the heck were all you guys while I was getting beaten to a pulp last weekend?.......sitting there eating popcorn and watching the show?.....LOL :D :D

They were on their way to Quest in their jeans after formal nite and before saving their deck chairs....that where they were..silly/

HappyKS, what a GREAT way to explain it... I'm stealing it for future use if you don't mind. It really hit home for me, as I used to work on comission, and while not as drastic as a cruise-ship employee in that situation, man was it frustrating having to show up and KNOW I was barely going to get paid for a days worth of work.

Sorry about that, I was booking a cruise rather than chatting about it!

Oh, good, PH, something we agree on !!!!!! ;) :)

It appears these folks WON'T be eating most meals on the ship. In that case, I'd "pro-rate" my tips. It's true, just because you eat in the windjammer and not in the dining room, you should still tip the suggested amount, if the service is good. But if you are not utilizing ANY of the wait-staff, I don't see why you would tip! After all, you'll be tipping the wait-staff in whatever restaurant you choose to eat in on the island!

even if I don't eat in the dining room all week long, but that is just me. Edited to say that I am thinking of HAL with the auto tip which has been my last few cruises, as recently as March when I ate in the lido all week, but left the auto tip in place. I haven't cruised on RCI since 2004, but will be cruising with them in October. Do they auto tip yet? But, I will tip for a full week even though we probably won't end up eating there most of the time. Really, it's a minimal amount. But, as others have said, a very personal decision.

Marie

Yup, sure did.....they pulled the thread, too.

I agree with Bethwte and Parrothead, but THEY gets to say it this time, so I don't get another beating....:D :D :D

Peg, I think we met on that thread. I must have missed your beating, the darn thing was pulled when I went back to read more of it.

even if I don't eat in the dining room all week long, but that is just me. Edited to say that I am thinking of HAL with the auto tip which has been my last few cruises, as recently as March when I ate in the lido all week, but left the auto tip in place. I haven't cruised on RCI since 2004, but will be cruising with them in October. Do they auto tip yet? But, I will tip for a full week even though we probably won't end up eating there most of the time. Really, it's a minimal amount. But, as others have said, a very personal decision. Marie

And RCI lets it remain a very personal decision. If you wish, and only if you authorize it, RCI will place your tips on your shipboard account and give you vouchers to give to your room steward and the dining room servers on the last night of the cruise. Otherwise you are totally free to tip as much or as little as you feel appropriate.

Peg, I think we met on that thread. I must have missed your beating, the darn thing was pulled when I went back to read more of it.

So that is where the thread went.... poof!!!!!!!!! Did I get beat on too for sharing the same opinion? Gee, I didn't even get a chance to go back and look.

I'm still limping from the beating I took last weekend on this subject. I agree with Katiel53: try searching. You'll find all the pro's and con's on the subject.

OK, I'm willing to help patch up the wounds and maybe even treat you to a morning in the ship's spa to make things better!;) :)

Archived