HAL Zaandam / Sept 29th Cancelled!

bubbajones

OK, you used a TA to get some assistance right. Shouldn't your TA be telling HAL exactly what you have told us and going to bat for you that you deserve more than just a refund. Your logic about if the tables were turned and you had to cancel and lose your deposit is very compelling. Money talks. If HAL offered you something more than just a refund then we know that they don't just bump people lightly. Please let us know if you continue to follow up with the help of the TA.

HAL may not be the only bad apple here. this TA doesn't sound great so far, maybe they also don't think a 1 night cruise is a big deal. I'm sure the bumped cruisers do.

Bubbajones,

I respectfully suggest that verbal reports of verbal communication between third parties can be misleading. You do not know exactly the words that were spoken to your TA, nor the tone of voice in which they were spoken. Your TA may be giving you an abbreviated version of the conversation with the HAL rep. Your TA may actually be only reporting information given by someone else who actually spoke with the HAL rep.

In other words, you don't know if HAL said they were sorry they had to cancel. You don't know if they stated a reason. You only know what your TA told you, which may not be the whole story.

To decide you will never sail with HAL again over such a minor incident is cutting off your nose to spite your face. If you become that upset over such small issues, I hope you never have to face a major disappointment in your life.

Regarding the comment about possibly people extending the Sep 30th 3 day to a 4 day by booking the 1 night on the 29th, it just isn't possible. We booked the 3 day, live just outside Seattle, so were hoping to book the 1 day from Seattle to Vancouver then the 3 day on to San Diego.

We were told we can't due to the Jones Act. We could do on or the other, but not both.

We still haven't received our docs for the 3 day so I was worried that wasn't going to happen either, but see it's still on HALs site with a number of cabins still available.

I think I do need to be expecting more from my TA, as well - you are right. This whole booking was a bit odd. I booked this cruise two months ago, and got my docs several weeks ago (very fast - HAL tends to get docs out much faster than RCCL) but I see some references to cruises on Zaandam on these boards on dates which suggests to me that the schedule change probably had been known for quite a while.

Also, it was odd (at least to me) that in my docs for this 1 night cruise from Vancouver to Seattle, there were two different papers stating that if I did not have a Brazilian Visa, I would not be allowed to embark. I cross the border between Canada and the US several times a week and I am quite comfortable just chalking this one up to a clerical error.

To those who remain surprised that I am reacting so strongly on this situation and because of this cancelled cruise will never sail HAL again - yes, that probably seems to be quite the over reaction. But I do work very hard for my money, as I am sure many of you do, and I do believe that when I am not provided the basic customer service I expect, I don't return with my business - be it a restaurant, clothing store, car dealership, whatever. In my job I am expected to provide excellent customer service (we use the 4 F's ---- fast, friendly, flexible, or go find another job), so maybe my thinking is tainted for that reason. I provide superb customer service and so I naturally expect it as a customer. But in all fairness to HAL, I do need to consider that maybe my TA has fallen down on this one --- although I did send HAL an email through the website asking for more information and haven't heard back from that direct contact. To keep this all in perspective, Celebrity/Infinity (a ship I see all summer in Vancouver), just had to cancel one of its Alaska 7 day cruises in a few weeks so it can go into drydock over in Victoria and get another azipod repair. That must be terribly disappointing for those passengers, many of whom are probably flying long distances to get to the cruise. They are the ones who really should be fussing.....

Our experience was similar to travellady. It's interesting to note that HAL's 2006 brochure lists this as a four day cruise, so we tried to book it as such. No go. Anyway, since we were going to have to sail from Vancouver and already had something going for 30 September that we would have to reschedule, we decided to book the 24 September 4-day from Vancouver to Los Angeles on the Veendam instead.

I also agree what other people have said. Booking a cruise should be a two-way commitment. If a passanger cancels at the 30-day mark, he looses 50% of his fare. If HAL does it they should also pay a 50% premium above the full refund, either in cash or shipboard credit. Never happen though because the way HAL's contract is written.

As also been pointed out, the information was filtered through his travel agent, so there's some question as how complete the travel agent's response to the customer was. Perhaps rather than never sailing HAL again the original poster should look for a new travel agent?

And finally for what it's worth, HAL is offering the 30 September 3-day Vancouver - San Diego sailing on the Zaandam in this week's flash specials.

http://66.179.21.85/ha4004/travelagent_us.htm

Regarding the comment about possibly people extending the Sep 30th 3 day to a 4 day by booking the 1 night on the 29th, it just isn't possible. We booked the 3 day, live just outside Seattle, so were hoping to book the 1 day from Seattle to Vancouver then the 3 day on to San Diego.

We were told we can't due to the Jones Act. We could do on or the other, but not both.

We still haven't received our docs for the 3 day so I was worried that wasn't going to happen either, but see it's still on HALs site with a number of cabins still available.

Thanks for the info....as I posted that, I was also wondering about the Jones act (may actually be Passenger Services Act) and that might affect adding the additional one day to the 3 day.

bubbajones,

That was a cool commute.....I can see me doing the same cruise.

I can't help but wonder why anyone would only book a one-night stand. So to speak. Karenlynne

the first cruise we ever went on was a wedding gift and if was a one nighter from vanc bc to seattle--it was actually the start of a repo cruise to the east coast thru the canal and since not many people join a cruise in vanc bc the line sold the one niter to generate some revenue and get the crew back functioning after their drydock/vacations -- have seen this offered locally on ocassion by a local ta

actually its the ops 4th post -- the number 1 you see is the first post on this particular thread

No, the OP's first post on this thread was the OP's first-ever post on this board. There have been three posts since.

When you post your post count increases, and is reflected at your current count on each and every post you have made.

Why did this thread turn into a count of how many times someone has posted?

LOL...welcome to Cruise Critic..... we often veer off course.:)

Also, first posts have no validity here......not sure exactly why.

Perhaps a throw back to 'the stranger in town"....everyone looks at him suspiciously.

You are not fully accepted until you have participated in the "jeans in the dining room" or "smuggling booze on board" debates. :)

Not sure what that is all about but people have questions and it seems that is what this place is all about. If its your first time or your 500th time. If you want this place to be exclusive than make it a pay site but otherwise so being so worried about people asking questions and YES I know we have some people that pretend to ask questions to get people going but if you think thats the case then don't respond.

I think I do need to be expecting more from my TA, as well - you are right. This whole booking was a bit odd. I booked this cruise two months ago, and got my docs several weeks ago (very fast - HAL tends to get docs out much faster than RCCL) but I see some references to cruises on Zaandam on these boards on dates which suggests to me that the schedule change probably had been known for quite a while.

Also, it was odd (at least to me) that in my docs for this 1 night cruise from Vancouver to Seattle, there were two different papers stating that if I did not have a Brazilian Visa, I would not be allowed to embark. I cross the border between Canada and the US several times a week and I am quite comfortable just chalking this one up to a clerical error. ..

We are sailing on the Veendam on the 24th September but we are doing the 34 day cruise to the Amazon and that is the reason you received the paper regarding the Brazillian Visa as we will not be allowed on board unless we have a visa for Brazil. Obviously someone put it into your docs by mistake or else it is going into everyone who is sailing from Vancouver.

I am sorry that your booking has been messed up but worse could have happened. Imagine how you would be feeling if you had booked for the 4 day cruise and it was cancelled. One night is really not so bad, especially as you do commute betweent the two cities regularly.

It would be the same for me if we were going on a night's cruise to Tasmania. I would be a little disappointed but would think well, I can fly there and it is quicker! I certainly would not be thinking I wouldn't sail with HAL again. How can one possibly compare a one night cruise with a cruise of 7,14, 21 days etc. You are really using the ship as a hotel room for the night.

Jennie

Not sure what that is all about but people have questions and it seems that is what this place is all about. If its your first time or your 500th time. If you want this place to be exclusive than make it a pay site but otherwise so being so worried about people asking questions and YES I know we have some people that pretend to ask questions to get people going but if you think thats the case then don't respond.

Thanks for being a brave soul and inquiring about the odd progression of this thread. I was stunned with my welcome (not). It seems as though because I was a first poster, it is simply tradition to consider illegitimate the poster, the information and the inquiry.

I guess these boards are similar to getting your first credit card --- from birth you are automatically considered credit unworthy until someone, somewhere, takes a chance on you and let's you demonstrate your credit worthiness. As a low count poster, yourself, they will probably now assume you and I are in cahoots of some sort.

The value of these boards for me, then, has not been in the postings themselves (which have helped to make me feel quite unwelcome) but in the several side contacts I received (I guess there is some way to send me a direct email, I haven't figured that part out yet), apologizing for the behavior of some, explaining that there is a right of passage that happens in this place, and that egos and status rest on 'postings counts' and 'cruise counts' around here - and I am not terribly valued in either regard.

And, it is from those persons who contacted me directly that I have obtained a better sense of what is probably happening with my cancelled Zaandam cruise and how to most effectively interact with my TA and HAL regarding this development. I do appreciate their support, provided genuinely and generously.

As for the boards, I don't think you will see me around here very much --- the 'guilty until proven innocent' routine is quite the impedement for actually getting support from others...it just doesn't work well for me.

Thanks for being a brave soul and inquiring about the odd progression of this thread. I was stunned with my welcome (not). It seems as though because I was a first poster, it is simply tradition to consider illegitimate the poster, the information and the inquiry.

I guess these boards are similar to getting your first credit card --- from birth you are automatically considered credit unworthy until someone, somewhere, takes a chance on you and let's you demonstrate your credit worthiness. As a low count poster, yourself, they will probably now assume you and I are in cahoots of some sort.

The value of these boards for me, then, has not been in the postings themselves (which have helped to make me feel quite unwelcome) but in the several side contacts I received (I guess there is some way to send me a direct email, I haven't figured that part out yet), apologizing for the behavior of some, explaining that there is a right of passage that happens in this place, and that egos and status rest on 'postings counts' and 'cruise counts' around here - and I am not terribly valued in either regard.

And, it is from those persons who contacted me directly that I have obtained a better sense of what is probably happening with my cancelled Zaandam cruise and how to most effectively interact with my TA and HAL regarding this development. I do appreciate their support, provided genuinely and generously.

As for the boards, I don't think you will see me around here very much --- the 'guilty until proven innocent' routine is quite the impedement for actually getting support from others...it just doesn't work well for me.

I honestly don't mean to be insensitive, I really don't, but I just have a problem understanding how you can get that upset over missing a one day cruise

I think the issue is not just being upset over a 1 night cruise but rather that HAL is refusing to say anything about why the plug was pulled. First I tend to believe the OP in this thread in regards to the cruise being cancelled. I was once booked on a three day Pacific Northwest cruise between Seattle and Vancouver and it got chartered right from under me. I live in the east so making plans is more difficult than treating it as a longweekend within driving distance of home. Now mind you I was told the ship was chartered by a group and I was given some options of which I ended up on a four day repo from Vancouver to San Diego of which I ended up enjoying very much.

Personally, I think the OP is being overly dramatic and should just accept his loss as an inconvenience. I truly think this sailing was chartered out but I tend to find it hard to believe that HAL could not have stated this to the TA of all people especially when they came clean in my situation. I wouldn't "not" sail HAL again because of this but I can see where someone who had good customer service somewhere else might equate this lack of info as typical. We know its not but these stupid things do happen.

Thanks for being a brave soul and inquiring about the odd progression of this thread. I was stunned with my welcome (not). It seems as though because I was a first poster, it is simply tradition to consider illegitimate the poster, the information and the inquiry

quote]

Bubba, I tend to agree with what you said in principle but understand the case history. There are those who tend to post to upset others especially if they want to pit one cruiseline versus another. Many of these tend to be outsiders who don't post often or are posting for the first time. Sometimes the "bad stories" are based on emotional outbursts and with lack of info which makes the die hard cruiser question whether or not there is a grain of truth to the stories or whether this is just one sour person whose might never be satisfied by any effort to correct a situation. In fact, once I accused someone of being not what they said they were when the posting history just didn't match up.

That being said I agree wholeheartedly that there can be certain cliques on any message board and outsiders are treated as having to earn the trust of those already established. I've seen it happen on CC and - I'll probably be burned at the stake for this - its quite a huge factor here on the HAL board. I've been posting here for over a year and I'm still feeling like I'm an outsider. However, the majority of people on HAL are not necessarily mean spirited or out to get outsiders. I think its just a case of hardened travellers who just don't fall for every emotional outburst or care to jump at every little blip as they have been there and done that. Thus I understand where they are coming from. However, in my early days I too wanted to run and say why bother with these boards? Because...........most posters are decent, helpful and there is a lot of info to learn. All you really need to do is stick it out. If someone beats up on you ignore them and just continue on with your case. If you run you might just be proving their point rather than yours.

Thanks for being a brave soul and inquiring about the odd progression of this thread. ...

While some people took the post as that of a troll trying to stir up trouble, others were just trying to get the facts, as after all if it happened to you, it could happen to them on a future cruise. I really am curious, did you contact your travel agent again and demanded a fuller explanation or ask to speak to a supervisor?

I enjoy reading the HAL board here on CC. Some posters have a quirky sense of humor and a strong sense of disbelief, but on the whole the board supplies very useful information and has been very helpful in provoding responses to my questions.

BTW for what it's worth, on our 4-day 24 September Veendam Vancouver to Los Angeles cruise, I will wear jeans in the dining room on casual nights but won't smuggle booze.

Archived