Using Your Cell On Board

wtevrfltsurbt

Most of you probably know this but I am posting for those who do not.

I am a customer with a......."singular"...ly good cell company, have no problems with them. That said, I was informed today that PCL does not "partner" with them and therefore no matter what coverage plan you have, i.e. International, worldwide etc if you place a call from your cell phone while on board you will be charge a minimum of $12.99 PER MINUTE! :eek: as you are using PCL's cell tower. Now-PCL is SUPPOSED to turn it off when the ship is docked but not always, so I might suggest that you distance yourself from the ship if you want to place a call using your cell phone. I only have info regarding the company I am with, you might want to check with yours so you don't end up coming home to a huge bill.

I have cingular and just got off the CB last week. I called cingular before leaving and set up my int'l service, had no problems using it at St. Thomas since they have a tower there, also worked at St. Martin but I shut ours off because it was considered roaming and was $1.99 a minute, no extra fee on St. Thomas since it's considered the U.S. The CB doesn't have a cell tower onboard at least not one cingular compatible because we didn't have service unless we were in port so I believe you were fed a line from someone.

I have cingular and just got off the CB last week. I called cingular before leaving and set up my int'l service, had no problems using it at St. Thomas since they have a tower there, also worked at St. Martin but I shut ours off because it was considered roaming and was $1.99 a minute, no extra fee on St. Thomas since it's considered the U.S. The CB doesn't have a cell tower onboard at least not one cingular compatible because we didn't have service unless we were in port so I believe you were fed a line from someone.

Living4real

the information I got was from the supervisor of International plans at Cingular-I doubt she was "feeding me a line":rolleyes:

well it's kind of hard to be charged $12.99 a minute when there is no service :rolleyes:

Quite true for the older ships, but the newer ships like the Emerald, the Crown etc all have their own cell towers on board, as I am booked on the Emerald for my next cruise I thought the information might be useful to many who do travel on the newer ships, the fact that your experience was different really does not detract from that. Have a lovely evening.

I would complain to Cingular. It appears that Cingular is not cooperating with these companies who are trying to provide cell at sea coverage. We were on Crystal in January and were told by several that Cingular was one of the few lines who would not agree to the terms the other cell companies went along with.

I am not sure who Princess uses but Crystal uses Sea Mobile and they said they were trying to get Cingular to sign up.

BRUSSELS, Belgium (Associated Press) -- A key committee of the European Parliament backed a proposal on Thursday to cap roaming charges for mobile phone calls made abroad, voting in favor of a ceiling at 40 euro cents (54 U.S. cents) per minute of an outgoing call and 15 euro cents (20 U.S. cents) per minute for an incoming call.

The EU assembly's industry committee also voted for the cap to kick in immediately after the regulation is approved and apply automatically to all customers.

The committee went further on the cap than the European Commission and the EU member states, which proposed a cap of 50 euro cents (67 U.S. cents) and 25 euro cents (34 U.S. cents), respectively.

The EU's executive arm claims network providers are reaping massive profits from unjustifiably high roaming charges that can increase call costs fourfold.

A four-minute call home for a Cypriot in Belgium, for instance, can cost euro12 ($15.95), and for an Irish visitor in Malta as much as euro13.16 ($17.49).

The full 785-seat EU assembly will vote on the proposal in May. EU governments want to decide on the plan in June, in time for the European summer holiday season.

They do have cell service on the new ships (including the CB) which started at the end of last year. The purser told me that they have a Sprint tower. My US Cellular phone did not work on the ship, but worked in the ports. I guess US Cellular doesn't have an agreement in place either.

BRUSSELS, Belgium (Associated Press) -- A key committee of the European Parliament backed a proposal on Thursday to cap roaming charges for mobile phone calls made abroad, voting in favor of a ceiling at 40 euro cents (54 U.S. cents) per minute of an outgoing call and 15 euro cents (20 U.S. cents) per minute for an incoming call. ...
I haven't yet bottomed this one out, but I have a suspicion that this Regulation will only apply to intra-EU calls made by EU customers.

Having said that, I haven't found the roaming charges applied by NCL's service provider to be outrageous, although still enough for voice calls to be "emergencies only". Haven't yet tried Princess.

Was just on Crown. My teenager has Sprint and she almost always had a signal and, gulp, I often caught her using it... it said ROAM. Did she just spend her college tuition? :eek:

I ummm.........would get on the phone with you cell company soon:o and find out what the charges were.........hopefully not too much!?

(Community Colleges are always an option:D )

They do have cell service on the new ships (including the CB) which started at the end of last year. The purser told me that they have a Sprint tower. My US Cellular phone did not work on the ship, but worked in the ports. I guess US Cellular doesn't have an agreement in place either.

I kept getting NO SIGNAL on my US Cellular phone in Jamaica, Gr. Cayman & Cozumel (thought for sure I'd get one in MX!)

Well Cingular's website lists Princess Grand at 2.49 per minute. We have added Cingular's World Travel monthly option for reduced rates in Mexico, Belize, and Honduras. There wasn't a reduced rate listed for onboard ship. So we will see on Saturday what works!

Thanks

Norm

Well Cingular's website lists Princess Grand at 2.49 per minute. We have added Cingular's World Travel monthly option for reduced rates in Mexico, Belize, and Honduras. There wasn't a reduced rate listed for onboard ship. So we will see on Saturday what works!

Thanks

Norm

Hi Norm!

Would you please let us know what the real cost is when you get back? I would very much appreciate it!

I kept getting NO SIGNAL on my US Cellular phone in Jamaica, Gr. Cayman & Cozumel (thought for sure I'd get one in MX!)

My US Cellular phone worked in St. Thomas, St. Martin, Belize, Honduras, and Costa Maya. I didn't check Cozumel. I haven't been to Jamaica since 2002, and it didn't work then, but I'm not sure about now.

We have AT&T (formerly Cingular, and formerly formerly AT&T!) and St. Thomas (along with Puerto Rico) are covered under our normal rate plan. International calling plans are not needed since these are U.S. territories - they fall under standard GMS tower service. It is standard non-roaming, only time we would be charged is if we went over our minutes, which for us would be practically impossible.

Was just on Crown. My teenager has Sprint and she almost always had a signal and, gulp, I often caught her using it... it said ROAM. Did she just spend her college tuition? :eek:

We have Sprint and our phones have a lock on them so that roaming is not allowed unless you bypass it. Please post back and let us know how long your DD will be working off that phone bill! :D College may not be an option for her now.

Have been able to use our phone in St Thomas for year's without incurring an addtional charges.

However, have not been able to use it in the W. Car.

Would LOVE to know what is being charged by Sprint if it does work now???

Well Cingular's website lists Princess Grand at 2.49 per minute.
FWIW, T-Mobile charges $4.99 per minute for the Grand Princess while at sea. You must check with your own provider and find out the rate you will be charged; it can depend on what type of plan you have with your provider, too.

here is the info I got from Cingular:

They DO now partner with PCL

2.49 per min IF you have the World Traveler package, otherwise more. If let's say, you and your significant other/wife/hubby/insert appropriate title here-both have Cingular, and take them to Europe with you and think you can do mobile to mobile, think again! You BOTH get charged 2.49 per min for each call!:eek: However: if a person calls you from their cell in the states, they pay the regular fee (whatever plan you have there) but YOU still get dinged for the 2.49 per min. That's 5 bux a minute folks!:eek:

If you experience problems calling while traveling they gave me the # to call and it is: 1 (916) 843-4685.

Forgot to add: the charges apply also if you check voicemail.

We have Verizon and will be on the Sapphire Princess to Alaska in June. I know Alaska is in the US, but on the days "at sea" in Glacier Bay and College Fjord if we use the cellphone will it be charged at Princess rates if it happens to connect with their cell tower? We're supposed to have free roaming. Anybody have experience with this?

Archived