As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

I recently returned from the Zuiderdam (12/13-12/23) and thought I would share my thoughts on dining. You can also check out my journal if you like.

We booked about 45 days out and Open Seating was the only option, but the one we would have selected anyway. It seemed that the flexibility would be nice.

On the first night we headed down to the MDR at 6:00 and there were a few people ahead of us. We said we were willing to sit with others. Within a couple minutes of our arrival we were the first to be seated at a table for ten. The rest of the table was filled within a couple more minutes. Due to the noise in the MDR and the size of the table, it was difficult to hear people on the far side of the table, so we chatted with a couple next to us. Dinner took two hours.

On the second night we headed down to the MDR at 7:00 and there was a long line. We were told that a table for 2 would be 45 minutes and any other table would be 30 minutes. It was suggested that we return in 45 minutes. We returned in 45 minutes and said that we were told to come back in order to get a table for 2. We were seated on the Upper Level at a table for 2 in about 5 minutes. Dinner took about an hour.

On the third day, we met up with other CC-ers at the M+G, including a couple in the Penthouse (and another in an aft SC). The six of us ended up dining on Room Service in the Penthouse that night and the other two formal nights. In addition, they told us we could use their table (2 person Early Seating) whenever we wanted as they planned to do Pinnacle Grill or Room Service.

On the fourth day, we tried to make reservations in the morning but were told that there were no two-person tables available for reservations. Due to being sick and barely able to speak, it seemed like eating with others would be a chore. Instead, we made use of the table for two at the early seating as our Penthouse Pals weren't using it.

After this, we generally ate at the early seating table, the Penthouse (Not-so-Formal nights), or the Terrace Grill.

I can't say that our experience with Open Seating was particularly good. Of course, we only really tried twice to go in without reservations and once to make a reservation. Part of the problem appears to be that a disproportionate number of people like tables for 2-4 in both fixed and open seating. If not for meeting up with people who lent us their table, there was no real possibility of us getting one when we wanted it. There was not an overabundance of information on the ship about making reservations, when, how far in advance, what times were more crowded, etc. I think that people with suites tend to get their pick of tables and it leaves a pretty small number for the rest of the ship, but I don't know for sure.

- Ike

ALL I am asking is that one use open seating when they are talking about that aspect. I do not want to add to the confusion by using the all-encompassing phrase "as you wish" when talking about only one aspect. It doesn't make sense to use that when talking about the Lido or the PG, why use it when talking about the open seating in the MDR?

Drives me up a tree as well. Why can't people speak without using a complexity of semantic phrases? In this case I blame the industry, in particular HAL. Their marketing types know darn well what they attempted to do here. That is adopting language defining dining options in a way which deliberately confuses the naïve voyager.

Trying to decipher honest opinion of fellow travelers in an attempt to form a judgment over dining alternatives, while so many of them speak in a mishmash of semi-conflicting industry created jargon and phraseology is enough for one to say, screw it. :mad:

So as opposed to reading the 51 pages of this thread:

Is there some best practices for those of us "stuck with" open seating (or as you wish, or, or, or) to prevent having to wait an inordinate amount of time? I'm looking for the "tricks of the seasoned HAL traveler...I say stuck as this was all that was available when I booked just yesterday.

This is our first HAL cruise (Bermuda, August 8 sailing). Some of the comments made here on it being no problem, likely occurred on less than sold out ships. I'm guessing this particular sailing will be packed (and likely overpacked). My experience on Princess and their anytime concept on a packed ship was terrible. Waits of an hour or more were typical. It just doesn't feel like "open seating" when you have to wait that long. The whole concept of eating when you are hungry goes out the window as I don't know every morning how hungry I'm going to be for dinner that night in order to make (hopefully) a reservation.

So besides the obvious of showing up at 5:15, what can the seasoned HAL cruisers tell me to do to avoid an excessive wait on a "packed" ship.

Appreciate your help...

So as opposed to reading the 51 pages of this thread:

Is there some best practices for those of us "stuck with" open seating (or as you wish, or, or, or) to prevent having to wait an inordinate amount of time? I'm looking for the "tricks of the seasoned HAL traveler...I say stuck as this was all that was available when I booked just yesterday.

This is our first HAL cruise (Bermuda, August 8 sailing). Some of the comments made here on it being no problem, likely occurred on less than sold out ships. I'm guessing this particular sailing will be packed (and likely overpacked). My experience on Princess and their anytime concept on a packed ship was terrible. Waits of an hour or more were typical. It just doesn't feel like "open seating" when you have to wait that long. The whole concept of eating when you are hungry goes out the window as I don't know every morning how hungry I'm going to be for dinner that night in order to make (hopefully) a reservation.

So besides the obvious of showing up at 5:15, what can the seasoned HAL cruisers tell me to do to avoid an excessive wait on a "packed" ship.

Appreciate your help...

I agree with you about Princess. It is horrendous on a sold out ship. There waits of 2 hours or more some nights.

We were on the sold out Oosterdam in Nov/Dec and the experience was very different. Sometimes we had to wait a few minutes for a table to be set but that can happen at land based restaurants as well.

I think you'll enjoy the flexibility.

We were extremely pleased with our first experience of AYW Dining -Open seating option -on the Eurodam last month. We did not feel "stuck" at all. In fact, we really enjoyed the flexibility. Though we never saw anyone waiting when we arrived in the main dining room-usually between 615-715, we did not have a preference as to table size or location, and there were only two of us. Had we been with a larger group, or only willing to accept a table for two in a specific location, perhaps that in theory could cause a wait. Again, we never experienced one, and never saw others waiting at any time, nor did we hear any grumbling around the ship from others about waiting. . Also, we never made a reservation. I believe we sailed with a full ship. We liked it, hope you will as well.

I echo what Susie Kay just said. The more flexible you are, the easier it will be. I never had to wait. I just walked up the host, smiled, gave him my room number, and told him I would sit anywhere and with anyone. I usually showed up between 6:30 and 7:30.

Roz

After reading the Open Seating travails of others, I truly feel fortunate that we were able to get a table for two every evening that we dined in MDR on our recent Eurodam sailing. While we preferred to dine around 6:15 every evening, we were somewhat flexible with availability. 3 evenings we were able to walk up and get a two-top at 6:00-6:15 pm. The other 2 evenings that we dined, we had to come back at approx. 7:00 pm, and were seated promptly. We tried to make reservations early in the mornings, but even by 8:15 am, they (said) had no tables for two available. We found that just walking up was more successful than trying to make reservations. They do allow you to make reservations for 3 evenings at a time, so if you can get in early enough, you can probably get something around the time that you prefer.

[quote name='MauiGirl55']While we preferred to dine around 6:15 every evening, we were somewhat flexible with availability. 3 evenings we were able to walk up and get a two-top at 6:00-6:15 pm. The other 2 evenings that we dined, we had to come back at approx. 7:00 pm, and were seated promptly. We tried to make reservations early in the mornings, but even by 8:15 am, they (said) had no tables for two available. We found that just walking up was more successful than trying to make reservations. They do allow you to make reservations for 3 evenings at a time, so if you can get in early enough, you can probably get something around the time that you prefer.[/QUOTE]

This is my point: if you have to make reservations, especially 3 days in advance, how can you call this "anytime" or "as you wish" dining? You have to know: hmm, its Tuesday, I wonder what time I will want to eat on Thursday? I really think that this process is bad and this concept needs a revamp.

We changed our room to a suite so hopefully the concierge will be able to get us in each day. Would love to hear if this works for others?

[quote name='macbest']This is my point: if you have to make reservations, especially 3 days in advance, how can you call this "anytime" or "as you wish" dining? You have to know: hmm, its Tuesday, I wonder what time I will want to eat on Thursday? I really think that this process is bad and this concept needs a revamp.

We changed our room to a suite so hopefully the concierge will be able to get us in each day. Would love to hear if this works for others?[/quote]

Granted you do have to be flexible. Those who have to eat at definite times for one reason or another don't do well with this. It works for us because usually we've set up our shore excursions in advance, so all we have to do is look at what we'll be doing that particular day, whether it will be a long day of excursions getting back late, or an easy day at sea.

Really no problem if you have flexibility. With set dining times we have had more problems because you must eat when they say (if you want to eat in the DR) so it leaves no room for flexibility!

Plus we generally know what time of day we prefer to eat (not late, but not real early). Usually we've had to fight to get the time we prefer with set dining times, even though it's set ahead of time, we've always had to line up to see the Maitre'd to change it back to what we'd asked for. :(

The anytime dining usually is not a problem for whenever you want to go eat. we found that if you ask for a larger table to be seated at with more people we never had to wait more than 3 min. If you want a table for 4 or 6 you could have to wait a bit longer. We feel that the larger the table that there will always be someone we can talk to. We have made great friends at these large tables ans found that several times the same people we ha eaten with the night before were at our table again as they liked to eat around the same time we did.

I asked my TA about the Coffee cards so many of you have inquired about. This is what she told me. You purchase the coffee card on the day of sailing for $27.60 which allows you to have 15 cups of specialty coffees from numerous places around the ship. They are not transferable and only good for the sailing date on the card.:( Being a Star bucks person this is very inexpensive ,:rolleyes: if you are into the special coffees.

Specialty dining , has to have the reservations when you board. My birthday is on the Thursday of our sailing and want to go to the Grill Restaurant but they said that we had to make those reservations when we got on board. no pre reservations were being taken.

Anyway, we are getting excited and can't wait to relax after two months of packing and moving to our new home in Naples.
Anne and the Captain :)

DD and I had signed up for AUWD and hit jackpot on the first night. Ten complete strangers ate at one table decided we liked each other sat our time at 6:30 pm and ate at table 110 on the Prinsendam each evening. Tori our waiter was awaiting his time post our cruise to go home to his bride. We had a grand time.
Next trip, in December will be by myself but I plan on trying it again.
LHC

[SIZE="3"]Yes, we also enjoy As You Wish Dining. We like knowing that we'll have the same table, waiters, and companions each night at the same time the entire cruise. It is also WONDERFUL that we don't have to worry about making reservations every few days to do this - just as [U]we[/U] wish.[/SIZE] Edited by Mary Ellen

[quote name='Mary Ellen'][SIZE=3]Yes, we also enjoy As You Wish Dining. We like knowing that we'll have the same table, waiters, and companions each night at the same time the entire cruise. It is also WONDERFUL that we don't have to worry about making reservations every few days to do this - just as [U]we[/U] wish.[/SIZE][/quote]
Oh, Mary Ellen, I absolutely understand where you're coming from. Your subtlety is superb.

Like you, we also love all aspects of AYWD and, therefore, we hold out for that option each and every cruise.:D

[SIZE="3"]Hey, the direct approach hasn't worked in the past. Even quoting the HAL site that says the tradtional (fixed) seating is part of AYWD, just as is the open seating, hasn't helped.

No matter how many people here say 1+1=3 isn't going to make it true. :rolleyes:[/SIZE]

[quote name='Mary Ellen'][SIZE=3]Hey, the direct approach hasn't worked in the past. Even quoting the HAL site that says the tradtional (fixed) seating is part of AYWD, just as is the open seating, hasn't helped.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]No matter how many people here say 1+1=3 isn't going to make it true. :rolleyes:[/SIZE][/quote]
And if HAL changed the name of its dining program to something like Open Any Time and Venue vs. Fixed Early and Main ... we'd all be decrying the demise of AYWD:rolleyes:

[quote name='Mary Ellen'][SIZE=3]Hey, the direct approach hasn't worked in the past. Even quoting the HAL site that says the tradtional (fixed) seating is part of AYWD, just as is the open seating, hasn't helped.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]No matter how many people here say 1+1=3 isn't going to make it true. :rolleyes:[/SIZE][/quote]

Thank you for trying, I have given up. :D

[quote name='Boytjie']Thank you for trying, I have given up. :D[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Oh, Peter, please don't give up the good fight! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]There was a point where I was convinced that our tribe was increasing. Don't desert us now! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
I was surprised to see someone was told they had to wait to board the ship to make Grill reservations. Are you talking about the Pinnacle Grill? Our cruise is in April and I made our dinner reservations for 2 different nights already. They are paid for and confirmed for the nights we chose.

We are somewhat experience cruisers, however, first time on Holland America. We have always preferred traditional early seating. However, we were late booking this year and are waitlisted for first seating. We are a group of 4.

If we are not confirmed for early seating prior to boarding, is there an opportunity to talk with the Matre D after boarding to see what he can do? Any other suggestions?

Also, which dining room is for anytime dining?

Thanks,

[quote name='yancycruiser']If we are not confirmed for early seating prior to boarding, is there an opportunity to talk with the Matre D after boarding to see what he can do? Any other suggestions?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]You can try, as there will be an opportunity to make adjustments in your dining assignment. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]If that doesn't work, you can try to make a standing reservation in open seating. I would suggest you make a reservation for the first night, if possible, or arrive when you wish. Decide if you like the location/stewards, then, if so, reserve for as many nights as you can. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[quote]Also, which dining room is for anytime dining?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Open seating is on the lower level of the dining room on all ships except the Prinsendam (which has only one level). [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Annecrs']The anytime dining usually is not a problem for whenever you want to go eat. we found that if you ask for a larger table to be seated at with more people we never had to wait more than 3 min. If you want a table for 4 or 6 you could have to wait a bit longer.

Anne and the Captain :)[/quote]
I wonder about that. I haven't done it on HAL yet, but my last cruises on NCL, you would be seated quickly at a large table, but then you would have to sometimes wait somewhat for the table to fill cmpletely before the waiters would begin service.

[quote name='bob brown']I wonder about that. I haven't done it on HAL yet, but my last cruises on NCL, you would be seated quickly at a large table, but then you would have to sometimes wait somewhat for the table to fill cmpletely before the waiters would begin service.[/quote]

We've had very little wait time on HAL or NCL. And that's for a table for two. On Princess in July there were waits up to two hours.

[quote name='yancycruiser']Thanks Ruth for answering my questions. I have one more - Can I call immediately upon boarding to reserve for the first night if so, do you remember the number? Or must all reservations be in person - if so, where do I go upon boarding?

Thank you,[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]You're welcome. Yes, you can call immediately, but I don't know the number. The Daily Program will be in your cabin, if you can go there, and the number will be in it. If you board before cabins are ready you can use a house phone. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]But, if you board before cabins are ready you have to go someplace---might as well go up to the Lido. Odds are that someone will be there, or right outside, taking reservations. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]