NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Disappointed in the NCL MasterCard point redemption process.

I also have the RCCL MasterCard, same Bank Of America provider, etc.

All I had to do to redeem points through RCCL is go online, choose my reward and submit.

For NCL, I first called the number provided on the NCL website. After a 20 minute wait, the person who answered was pretty short with me and I was told to call another number. I explained that I called the number provided on the website. No response at all. So I called that number and they were closed for the day.

I called again this morning and had a 40 minute wait. Once connected it took about 10 more minutes to get the transaction completed.

So in comparison, one website and two minutes for RCCL Rewards.

3 phone calls and over an hour on the phone for NCL Rewards.

Just another reason I will probably go back to RCCL for cruising.

Well, that is disappointing to hear. I just got mine and used it, waiting for the points to post. When I did it with RCCL, it was so easily done online like you said, I was hoping it was the same way with NCL. :(:(

Sorry, did not read through 188 pages.

I am curious when you are charged the 3% international fees? I am wanting to use my NCL MC for onboard expenses and when in St Thomas for a daysail. Not sure if I will be charges international fees. Anyone know?

Sorry, did not read through 188 pages.

I am curious when you are charged the 3% international fees? I am wanting to use my NCL MC for onboard expenses and when in St Thomas for a daysail. Not sure if I will be charges international fees. Anyone know?

Anytime you use your card onboard, including the booking of excursions, you will receive double points and not be charged an international fee.

If you book a daysail through a St.Thomas vendor, you will most likely be charged an extra fee.

WE have an upcoming museum visit/excurtion (in Paris), but booked through middleman in the USA, so will not pay an international fee.

Misunderstandings... Sorry; The first page of what?

Is this(link) what you are looking for?

http://www.ncl.com/world-points

...thought it was kinda funny, but one of the options listed is:

Up to 2-category upgrade on cruises 5-days or longer 10,000 points

Just called NCL World Points rep(Ida) @ 866-954-4077 about an upgrade.

Told her we now have over 90,000 points and want an upgrade(as stated above).

After checking, she told us the cruise is SOLD OUT; no upgrades to offer us.

She suggested saving our points for another cruise.:)

Sorry, but I can't believe the cruise is sold out.

This was easier to accomplish than I expected. However, you will be on the phone for awhile. I simply called NCL and requested a call back. The PCC called me back and then booked the cruise for an inside room then transferred me to World Points to upgrade to the balcony room I wanted. Saved $1000 in 30 min.

This was easier to accomplish than I expected. However, you will be on the phone for awhile. I simply called NCL and requested a call back. The PCC called me back and then booked the cruise for an inside room then transferred me to World Points to upgrade to the balcony room I wanted. Saved $1000 in 30 min.

Double cross upgrade

Good for you!

I think the "double cross meta upgrade" is the best deal to work with.

(for the uninitiated, figure out what cabin option you want before making the call)

Other than that, just take the "cash back" option to your credit card account.

No sense in spending your points for on-board credit.

Edited by $hip$hape

I haven't signed up to this program yet, if you don't mind me asking how much roughly was the cruise itself?

Double cross upgrade

Good for you!

I think the "double cross meta upgrade" is the best deal to work with.

(for the uninitiated, figure out what cabin option you want before making the call)

Other than that, just take the "cash back" option to your credit card account.

No sense in spending your points for on-board credit.

Could you explain this in a little more detail? For example, if my goal cabin is an aft haven suite, what would I book?

Could you explain this in a little more detail? For example, if my goal cabin is an aft haven suite, what would I book?

Sorry, that isn't an option.

"Double Cross-Meta upgrade refers to having the option to book a specific Balcony category for the price of a specific Interior category."

We are on the Dawn in 40 days for a 14 day repositioning cruise from Boston to New Orleans. I paid for a I1 interior, used 60,000 points for the Double Cross-Meta upgrade and got the exact B-1 aft facing balcony I wanted. Did this by calling NCL and telling them I wanted to use my WorldPoints to do a double cross meta upgrade. They gave me the proper person and we worked it out together. We booked this cruise very shortly after bookings opened.

The level of balcony you can do the double-cross meta upgrade to seems to vary. We later booked a Canada New England cruise on the Gem and I wanted to do the same thing (interior to aft facing). However, highest balcony category on that cruise I could upgrade to was BA. Ended up canceling the Gem cruise and there was no problem having the points put back on my NCL mastercard account.

Hi everyone. I am saving up points to be able to use the upgrade on an Alaskan... where I would pay for an oceanview and get a balcony. I have a few questions.

1. Can I have my TA book the oceanview and then call up worldpoints and have my room upgraded?

2. Can I use a future cruise certificate to put the downpayment on the oceanview?

3. If there are any promos running, will I be able to get those. So, if they include a pick your perk, would I be eligible? Follow up - if I am eligible... would they use the booking cabin type (Oceanview) or the upgraded cabin type (balcony) to determine what I get?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by TifffanyD

TiffanyD wrote -

1. Can I have my TA book the oceanview and then call up worldpoints and have my room upgraded?

I don't know the answer to that. I would call world points before doing anything.

2. Can I use a future cruise certificate to put the downpayment on the oceanview?

I used my future cruise certificate on my 12/2014 deposit on our 2016 Alaska cruise. I don't think there are restrictions on these.

3. If there are any promos running, will I be able to get those. So, if they include a pick your perk, would I be eligible? Follow up - if I am eligible... would they use the booking cabin type (Oceanview) or the upgraded cabin type (balcony) to determine what I get?

Yes, you will get the promos assigned to the original cabin you paid for.

Just as a heads up, I was told by the world points rep that you pay for the highest level Oceanview to get the lowest level Balcony. With that said, I paid for OA and got a BA cabin. So, take what they say with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the info. I have heard a lot of conflicting reports on what cabin type you can get as well. So irritating that there's not a standard practice.

The level of stateroom you can "upgrade to" seems to vary by ship and sailing date. For our upcoming 14 day cruise on the Dawn booked LONG AGO I went from inside I1 to aft facing balcony B1 using points. For the last couple cruises I tried to use points to go to aft facing balcony but it was not allowed. However :) I was able to snag one of the two forward facing BC balconies on the Sun for next May so I am still a happy sailor.

You are better off talking directly to someone at NCL who can do the Worldpoints upgrade. Find the stateroom you want, then call NCL and ask what you need to book in order to do the upgrade using Worldpoints. Don't book an oceanview first and then find out what you want to end up with is not available. I guess if you really want your travel agent involved (ie for extra perks or something) you could transfer the booking in the allowed timeframe after you have the stateroom you want.

Thanks for the info. I have heard a lot of conflicting reports on what cabin type you can get as well. So irritating that there's not a standard practice.

MY Travel Agent said I had to deal directly with NCL if using WorldPoints; she could not/would not help with booking at all.

"To redeem your WorldPoints for Norwegian products, please call 1.800.434.8313."

Take your time. All of the ncl reps are different; some even know what they are talking about.:)

On time, for an upgrade on the Pride of America/Hawaii , the first NCL rep I talked to for information, gave me a ration of (crap) restrictions and lowest category. When I called back, the second rep told me I could choose from any of the balconies.:D ... she didn't seem to know the difference between a Meta upgrade and a category upgrade.

Good Luck!

Edited by $hip$hape

FYI - you can earn a lot more points if you are a Bank of America preferred customer (depends on how much you have in your bank accounts). You can earn 25% - 75% more points per dollar based on your BofA status.

Is this still the case? I also saw- "somewhere" where someone redeemed 100,000 points and got $2000?

Any validity to what's current? I'm still finding - on the NCL credit card link- redemption for 100,000 is $1000? I'm not interested in any upgrades, only - cash. :)