NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

52 minutes ago, flumpa said:

Hi I have a few questions and I am hoping someone can help...I have never used points for a cabin upgrade and wanted to get some information before I call World Points.  I am currently booked on the Pearl for an Xmas New Years Cruise 2020 (fingers crossed that it will still take place)! Originally, I was booked in an inside cabin but the prices dropped from when I booked so now I am in an obstructed ocean view.  I have 48,000 points (more if I wait until August when final payment is due).  I understand a meta category move is an inside to ocean or ocean to balcony.  Question how do I know which balcony categories I am eligible for in an obstructed room?

Easiest thing to do is call and ask.  

After the initial 30k points can I use additional points to get a better balcony?

No

Also, if the price drops before I use my points and move up to a balcony, can I use my points to go from a balcony to mini suite?

No-Balcony is the highest stateroom category you can reach on points

Last question, if I cancel my cruise, will I be able to get my points back?  

I would confirm when you call but you have been able to on the past. 

Thank you for your help!

See my answers above

17 hours ago, karinad said:

I haven't cashed in on any of my MC points in a couple yrs, even though I have cruised on NCL the last few yrs. My question is, can the points be used to book airline tickets or is it just for the cruise or getting money back? Most of my cc are airline cards like United, AA and I know how they work, only for air travel. Thanks!

Its just for cruising or a statement credit.

Steve

Edited by mscdivina2016

14 hours ago, flumpa said:

After the initial 30k points can I use additional points to get a better balcony? 

Actually yes sort of.   You can redeem your points for a statement credit, and then use the monies to pay for a higher category then have them rework your whole booking.  Keep in mind that there needs available cabins. In theory, you are canceling and rebooking and you also pay the difference at current rates, not when you booked. Do it right the first time and save the aggravation.

As far as mini suites and such, you "may" have an opportunity to bid on them if available. But I have never gotten a winning bid despite bidding max. 

Steve

Edited by mscdivina2016
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Actually yes sort of.   You can redeem your points for a statement credit, and then use the monies to pay for a higher category then have them rework your whole booking.  Keep in mind that there needs available cabins. In theory, you are canceling and rebooking and you also pay the difference at current rates, not when you booked. Do it right the first time and save the aggravation.

As far as mini suites and such, you "may" have an opportunity to bid on them if available. But I have never gotten a winning bid despite bidding max. 

Steve

Thank you.  That seems complicated but I understand.  I can’t use the additional points to go from a basic balcony to an aft balcony but I can cash my points and use that money to rebook a better category.  I always bid to upgrade and like you, never won.  I usually cruise during holidays when ships are at max capacity so I don’t hold on to hope to ever win a bid.  The best thing that happened to us was winning a 2 bdrm haven suite in bingo on day 2 of our cruise...it has been difficult to cruise in a balcony since then 🙂

2 hours ago, flumpa said:

Thank you for your answers. I will call to find out what balconies are available for obstructed ocean view room!

If they tell you there aren’t any available the category you have booked, ask if you can self-upgrade to a category that does have corresponding balcony availability. Might cost you $30 or something.  If all tht fails, just remember you are getting close to having 60,000 which means you could book an inside and sail in a balcony.  That’s what we did for our 19 day Tampa to Vancouver cruise.  Made our points worth something like $2400.   

I see a lot of posts here about using points for upgrades to higher category or meta upgrades.  I'm curious to know if there are folks that use points for outright free cruises at the higher point levels. 

Is it because it just takes more time to get 200k of points to take the family on a cruise on points alone?   Or is there better value in only using the points for upgrades?  Granted, I know that the free cruises offered are for Mexico and Caribbean cruise only of 7 days or Bahamas of 3-4 days.

I had previously used 40k of points to comp the 3 and 4 passengers in my cabin but then they stopped that saying I would have to start by comping 1 and 2 first in order to use the 40k for passengers 3 and 4.  This was also when I didn't have a lot of points and was seriously thinking of cancelling the card altogether.  

Would love to hear your thoughts. 

Edited by eiloo

17 hours ago, flumpa said:

I always bid to upgrade and like you, never won.  I usually cruise during holidays when ships are at max capacity so I don’t hold on to hope to ever win a bid.  

I know why I never win. Because you need to look at the money trail.  When I book an inside and use 60000 points for a balcony, for like a 24 day cruise the cost compared to a balcony is $3000. Those that booked the balcony outright already are $3000 ahead of me as far as the bean counters go.

Lets say I bid max of $5000, a person who did not use points only needs to bid $2001 to beat me in the end. 

One day I might get lucky.

Steve

I called today and finally got my 60K points back on my card account from an Alaska cruise on the Sun that we cancelled back in April before final payment. When I called late in May they told me to call back after June 1 as they still weren't able to access the portal because they were working remotely. I guess things are finally back to normal!

5 minutes ago, hawk1972 said:

I called today and finally got my 60K points back on my card account from an Alaska cruise on the Sun that we cancelled back in April before final payment. When I called late in May they told me to call back after June 1 as they still weren't able to access the portal because they were working remotely. I guess things are finally back to normal!

Thanks for letting us know. 

I called today and was transferred to a rep who was just trained in world points and she told me that a big bunch were just trained. She tried to refund my points but had to transfer me to someone else who was really good. I assume a real world points rep. I got my refund of points and applied more points to a couple bookings.

Steve

2 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I called today and was transferred to a rep who was just trained in world points and she told me that a big bunch were just trained. She tried to refund my points but had to transfer me to someone else who was really good. I assume a real world points rep. I got my refund of points and applied more points to a couple bookings.

Steve

Glad you were able to get the refund and got to use the points on other bookings.   I need to start thinking how I want to use 325k+ points before they start expiring. 

7 minutes ago, BSR said:

Glad you were able to get the refund and got to use the points on other bookings.   I need to start thinking how I want to use 325k+ points before they start expiring. 

I always use the double meta upgrades and if needed will cash in for a $1000.  But what I found is book a cruise you know will be cancelled, I think Alaska is still good. LOL.  Use points and when it is cancelled, you get them credited but a new time clock starts ticking. I have done this twice in the last 21 days. 

only issue is now I have to wait 90 days to get my refund, but I have years now on 120,000 points

Steve

I normally book suites.  The one time I was going to try and do the double meta upgrade I will most likely cancel this cruise.  I tried using them for OBC, but the last cruise was canceled and my next cruise will be too.   I may have to cash out some points.  Still will leave me with plenty.

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, EmeraldCoastCruisers said:

Anyone have a better phone number than 800-421-2110?  I’ve tried calling, had a difficult time getting to a live person.  Never did and then was disconnected twice!  Help!  

Try this number 866-954-4077.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I could have sworn I have read here and other places that you get your points back if you cancel before final payment. I called world points to do a double meta upgrade from inside to balcony (60,000 points) because I wanted to grab an angled balcony while they were still available. So, the NCL said that once I spend the points they are gone for good. Huh? Is this correct or another poorly informed agent? 

After 2 phone calls and talking to five different people, I was finally able to get a straight answer about getting my points back if I cancel before final payment. She did tell me a couple of situations where I would lose the points before final payment, but they won’t be an issue with me.  So, I was able to go from IA to BA (angled balcony). 

8 hours ago, Heather1972 said:

After 2 phone calls and talking to five different people, I was finally able to get a straight answer about getting my points back if I cancel before final payment. She did tell me a couple of situations where I would lose the points before final payment, but they won’t be an issue with me.  So, I was able to go from IA to BA (angled balcony). 

What are the conditions where you would lose the points? If they would return as expired?

10 hours ago, Heather1972 said:

I was never able to get a straight answer from them on returning your points before final payment. 

2 hours ago, TifffanyD said:

What are the conditions where you would lose the points? If they would return as expired?

You can lose your points a few ways.

1.After final payment...... Unless cruise line cancels cruise

2.They expire.....Again, if cruise line cancels you do have an argument but have another cruise ready and transfer them to new reservation.

3. If you get the point redemption pushed......you manage to go outside the terms of the points and then you cancel. For example you meta upgrade to a Balcony and then you do something for a further upgrade to an aft cabin. Keep in mind that is rare as not many know how to even pull that off. I won't tell,so don't ask. 

Steve

27 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

3. If you get the point redemption pushed......you manage to go outside the terms of the points and then you cancel. For example you meta upgrade to a Balcony and then you do something for a further upgrade to an aft cabin. Keep in mind that is rare as not many know how to even pull that off. I won't tell,so don't ask. 

Steve

Just use cash to pay for it.

2 hours ago, BSR said:

Just use cash to pay for it.

i think for a back to back, Jumping through the hoops for a double meta upgrade is worth it especially for an angled balcony!

of course if you have flexibility, you can wait last minute to book an Inside for $50/day or less.

and use a no annual fee Travel credit card that pays the same 3% that the ncl credit card gives but you get cash and arent locked in for ncl.

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

i think for a back to back, Jumping through the hoops for a double meta upgrade is worth it especially for an angled balcony!

of course if you have flexibility, you can wait last minute to book an Inside for $50/day or less.

and use a no annual fee Travel credit card that pays the same 3% that the ncl credit card gives but you get cash and arent locked in for ncl.

I was referring to paying with cash to go to an aft balcony if you can't use points for it.