Thumbs down for Celebrities 2 day sale

Hflors

Evidently there have only been selective increases in the fares. I have been looking at 2 sailings recently & neither of them has been increased. Still, for Celebrity to have raised fares within a day or 2 of the 12th is despicable.:mad:

Don't understand what the difference is between a discount and free insurance, or free prepaid gratuities or some other incentive. Money off the price is money off the price whether technically a discount or not.

I agree, but the cruise price will remain the same across the board and this is what Celebirty and RCI are looking at the most.

the sale is through Celebrity's web site but through CruCon

'con' being a good description. It does not sound legal to me.

Your quote did not quote my entire sentence, it should read "I may be wrong but I don't think the sale is through Celebrity's web site but through CruCon which is connected to Cruise Critic."

I then corrected myself in a subsequent post however I have received four e-mails from on line travel agencies advertising this sale. Crucon is one of those agencies and is a legitimate travel agency. I don't understand "It does not sound legal to me."

Does this sale apply to the whole world or is it just North America?

I tried to make a booking online but get exactly the same fare as previously mentioned. Fare has not gone up and no discount mentioned.

To me it looks more like a marketing spin, something which does not go down well here in Europe at all

It sounds like I am in the minority, but my Jan 06, 2008 Millie cruise just went down -- on Tues this week, first a $150 reduction pp from when I last checked in April, and then another $50 reduction today (Thurs), of which I called TA and got the credit. So thats a total of $352 pp less than when I originally booked it on the Navigator in January, which I thought was supposed to be the "best" deal. It definately pays to check back OFTEN. Sorry to hear of the fake sale, that really is despicable and bad customer service.

Having now sailed other lines after my first two on the Century, I get it that the food and service is better on X. In fact, those first two cruises were the best i've been on. However, is it better than the other lines by the $$$$$ they have been charging over the past couple of years since many discounts have gone away? As Capt. Club members we probably deserve better treatment than the past passengers discount they give us on a very, very minimal number of cruises each year. It is IMHO only that they are overpricing their product in some markets and now having to find "creative" ways to sell, especially since other lines are now taking steps to increase the quality of their products.:)

Your quote did not quote my entire sentence, it should read "I may be wrong but I don't think the sale is through Celebrity's web site but through CruCon which is connected to Cruise Critic."

I then corrected myself in a subsequent post however I have received four e-mails from on line travel agencies advertising this sale. Crucon is one of those agencies and is a legitimate travel agency. I don't understand "It does not sound legal to me."

Don,

I think the poster's comment that "It does not sound legal to me" was referring to Celebrity's tactic of raising some prices and then discounting them during a sale. The net result is that such sales are illusory. I know that in California such phony sales are considered unfair business practices and are not legal.

It sounds like I am in the minority, but my Jan 06, 2008 Millie cruise just went down -- on Tues this week, first a $150 reduction pp from when I last checked in April, and then another $50 reduction today (Thurs), of which I called TA and got the credit. So thats a total of $352 pp less than when I originally booked it on the Navigator in January, which I thought was supposed to be the "best" deal. It definately pays to check back OFTEN. Sorry to hear of the fake sale, that really is despicable and bad customer service.

of course Mille went down..they cant give cabins away on the mille right now...

every cruise I had watched went up by 100 dollars a cabin...disgusting...and underhanded....

I tried to hold a cabin the day before..but of course could not hold it without a deposit and once you make a deposit it is considered a prior booking and the sale would not apply...

NOT A SALE!!!

the sailings that stayed the same in price or maybe lowered were those they are having difficulty promoting....

yes of course I am expressing my displeasure at this unethical business practice to Head office...a lot of good it will do but maybe if they hear from enough upset potential clients it may be noted...

Good grief get a grip!

This is standard business practice, and not limited to the cruise industry.

What furniture store doesnt have a weekly sale that ends friday?! Do they really have a 'sale' price going, or is it an illusion? This is also not (generally) illegal. If you have ever bought anything on 'sale' then this shouldn't be real big news to you. You have to shop, then pick the time to buy based on what you are comfortable paying.

If you dont like the product dont buy it. I think it's a bit of a leap to condemn the whole company as a result. Why not condemn every company that does this while we are at it?

'con' being a good description. It does not sound legal to me.

Of course its legal, its called a free market economy....as someone said earlier, you don't really think you getting 70% off at those mall jewelry stores do you?;)

I agree that its a shady business practice but X is hardly the first one to employ it, in fact if you see a huge discount at any business this is most likely what is happening...:eek:

I'm glad I read this thread. I just got off of the phone and booked a 9/08 14-day cruise on the Infinity. No change in price so the $250 off really IS $250 off. And the deposit was only $450. :D

I did check for all the others we have booked, however, and they definitely raised the price! :eek: Ouch!

Does this sale apply to the whole world or is it just North America?

I tried to make a booking online but get exactly the same fare as previously mentioned. Fare has not gone up and no discount mentioned.

To me it looks more like a marketing spin, something which does not go down well here in Europe at all

You can not purchase online you have to call. I also wonder why everyone things this is bad business. Prices are subject to change. They only have a certain amount of cabins they are given for this sail, so if want to raise the price they can. After all they have to make money to cover the 28.8 million they just lost.

of course Mille went down..they cant give cabins away on the mille right now...

every cruise I had watched went up by 100 dollars a cabin...disgusting...and underhanded....

I tried to hold a cabin the day before..but of course could not hold it without a deposit and once you make a deposit it is considered a prior booking and the sale would not apply...

NOT A SALE!!!

the sailings that stayed the same in price or maybe lowered were those they are having difficulty promoting....

yes of course I am expressing my displeasure at this unethical business practice to Head office...a lot of good it will do but maybe if they hear from enough upset potential clients it may be noted...

Change to Carnival

I guess some people can sit back and call this business as usual and this is what these companies want. If enough people would file a complaint with them then maybe the "business as usual" would be unusual. Business reacts to what people demand and companies that don't change go out of business. Unless people ask to be treated fairly, they deserve just what they get. Goodbye Celebrity.

Good grief get a grip!

I think most posters here have a pretty good grip on what is going on...as informed consumers they were aware of the prices "pre-sale" and when Celebrity announced a "sale" they thought it really might be one. We could condemn every other business that does this, but the list would be very long and we would be off-topic.

If enough people would file a complaint with them then maybe the "business as usual" would be unusual. Business reacts to what people demand and companies that don't change go out of business.

you wont find 'enough people' here on CC to make a difference.

I think most posters here have a pretty good grip on what is going on...

I disagree, see below:

It sounds like I am in the minority, but my Jan 06, 2008 Millie cruise just went down -- on Tues this week, first a $150 reduction pp from when I last checked in April, and then another $50 reduction today (Thurs), of which I called TA and got the credit. So thats a total of $352 pp less than when I originally booked it on the Navigator in January, which I thought was supposed to be the "best" deal. It definately pays to check back OFTEN.

And yet you (apparently) continue to do business with them. Why?

Uh, maybe because this whole sorry affair has only arisen in the last couple of hours and one of our cruises has been booked for 16 months, another for 18 months and the third since last week.

Archived