Thumbs down for Celebrities 2 day sale

Hflors

Just a note: I was ready to book my Celebrity Galaxy cruise for next year. I went to their website this morning and guess what the price for the cruise is exactly $100.00 pp more than the price pp yesterday!!!!!! So I called them up and asked on the phone for the price of my cabin. Yep! $100.00 more pp than yesterday, but wait remember this day is the start of the sale and I get $100.00 discount. That really made me mad. I explained to the rep that I had checked the price yesterday and now the price was $100.00 more. Their response was that there was nothing they could do. So I asked to speak to the supervisor. I did and she also told me there was nothing she could do. I told her I knew that there wasn't, but I just wanted to lodge my complaint. She said she had talked to a number of people already this morning who were upset with the increase/sale. I told her that I felt Celebrity was tacky, tacky, tacky. It is a shame that Celebrity who bills themsleves as a notch above the rest should treat their customers so poorly. Anyway I feel better now that I have talked to the supervisor at Celebirty and now written this message on my favorite message board.

Did I book my cruise, NO, will I, I still don't know. It really took all the excitement out of it for me. There is something that holds me back from booking with a cruiseline that would do that to their customers.

Anyway thanks for reading my rant!

Hay maybe Celebrity will read this thread and any others that will be posted and do the right thing and reduce the price back to the pre sale price!

I agree with you. I have been watching the prices and was ready to book, too. I found the cruise I was looking at went up $200.00 PP since last night. So is it a sale if they raise the rates? Well, they lost my booking.

the sale is through Celebrity's web site but through CruCon which is connected to Cruise Critic. I don't think this was advertised by Celebrity but a private cruise agency...

It definitely is a Celebrity "sale". Got the email on Monday directly from Celebrity.

We hope you enjoyed this email from

Celebrity Cruises Inc.

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

http://www.celebritycruises.com

Definetly Celebrity Sale. I've received emails from Celebrity, Cruise Travel Outlet, Cruise Value, Vacation Outlet and more! I'm sorry to learn of the rate hike though. That is not right. I was just checking cabins on a Feb. 2008 cruise and the allotment changed within one minute! Evidently, there is lots of action out there. The price was still better than several years ago for the same class cabin and time frame on a similar ship.

Bon Voyage

Yes, it definitely is a Celebrity sale - I received the e-mail / also saw it advertised on their site. Went to several other online agency sites and saw the sale advertised - but, all prices were raised. I did not expect this from Celebrity. The price is actually higher now. The fare was raised (since last night) by 200.00 per person - but the advertised "sale" discount is only 250 per Stateroom.

Thank you Hflors ... I think it's important to bring this to the attention of others. Even if they haven't increased prices on all cruises, it should not have happened on any .... esp. the night before the sale. I guess they thought that they could pull this off without notice and good for you for being observant and reporting back. Some sale that is. :confused:

I just booked on-line for a cruise I've been looking at for awhile. The prices did go up $100pp yesterday:rolleyes: but it's a longer sailing, so it's supposed to be $250 off (per cabin). However, when you book on-line, the discount will be applied after booking. I called Celebrity and they said it would be 2-3 weeks before I see the discount on my cruise summary. Also, the deposit was the full amount, not 50% (Celebrity travel planner didn't have an answer for that one). I'm not worried about the deposit, it's $$$ due anyway. I'll be checking to make sure I at least get the $250 off.

I was annoyed about the so called sale too, but was more worried that now that they upped the price for my cruise, it might not go back down.;) At least I have a cruise to look forward to.:)

ps...........in reading the various boards, upping the price before a "sale" is getting more and more common:mad:

I had not checked pricing on the Summit 12 day Mediterranean before "sale" - guess I should have. Anyone out there know if they jacked up prices on that cruises as well because just about to book it! Thanks for the tip. I am really surprised at Celebrity doing this - thought they were well above this type of behavior.

(Celebrity travel planner didn't have an answer for that one).

Why does this not surprise me? :rolleyes:

For those looking for lower prices, it's worth checking with a TA .... some TA's do have better pricing than if you book directly with Celebrity, and can save you as much as 5%.

Several of the prices we'd been looking at this past week for clients did go up in the last 2 days. What I'm telling people is to watch, as I have a sneaking suspicion they'll go back down, then we can apply the reduction. Celebrity may be banking on catching those who don't monitor pricing. I could be wrong on that, but I'm definitely going to be watching these bookings very closely.

On the deposit, they will accept 1/2 of what it says online. In about a week or two, they'll go back in manually and adjust the bookings to show that the required amount was actually 1/2 of the normal, so you'll be deposited in full. RCCL did the same thing 3 weeks ago on the WOW sale. So feel confident in depositing the 1/2 amount.

some TA's do have better pricing than if you book directly with Celebrity, and can save you as much as 5%.

Am I seeing things? Didn't I read all kinds of 'blather' on here not too long ago about how there is aboslutley positively no more discounting on Celebrity cruises? That the LIST price is THE price, and etc etc.? (ps, this is being posted, mostly, tongue in cheek, as I knew that was a bunch of baloney anyway... :D )

many moons ago when I was in college I worked for a small jewelry store in the mall. Every 6 months the owner would have us mark all the prices up by 70% so that he could then advertise that he was having a 70% off sale. Well you can imagine the uproar when people who had been "watching" a specific piece of jewelry came in to find out that the 70% off would get them the exact same pricing as before the sale.

While I understood a very small business doing this (didn't agree however!) I never imagined a HUGE corporation would pull the same stunt!

Am I seeing things? Didn't I read all kinds of 'blather' on here not too long ago about how there is aboslutley positively no more discounting on Celebrity cruises? That the LIST price is THE price, and etc etc.? (ps, this is being posted, mostly, tongue in cheek, as I knew that was a bunch of baloney anyway... :D )

Celebrity does not allow discounting, but some agencies may have group rates, or can offer free ins etc.

I am appalled at the business pratice of this company. as a stockholder I will send my 2 cents worth to the powers that be, like they are going to listen to me. Yesterday I was looking at a cruise in June on the Galaxy and today it is up $100.00. What kind of customer loyality are they trying to create here. What is wrong with RCI /Celebrity? I can not believe that they would treat customers like this. I am insulted that they would have to create a sale and raise thed prices so in fact there is no sale at all. I just may start to look at other carrier, after being on the Empress of the Sea I am over RCI ship and now Celebrity is poulling is sale/no sale bussiness practice. Maybe we should unit and write a l letter to the president of Celebrity. Could this be the reason that Rick Sasso left Celebrfity and went to MSC because he was not agreeing with the business practice?

This in fact is no sale at all for certain sailings., There are some sailings that have not gone up in price.

I May be rambling but I am very upset.

Am I seeing things? Didn't I read all kinds of 'blather' on here not too long ago about how there is abosolutley positively no more discounting on Celebrity cruises? That the LIST price is THE price, and etc etc.? (ps, this is being posted, mostly, tongue in cheek, as I knew that was a bunch of baloney anyway... :D )

Since the Celebrity no discounting policy went into effect, The only price deviations I've seen are those from agencies which offer a group rate. Some agencies offer other incentives such as free travel insurance, but not discounted fares from rebating commission. I wish it wasn't like that, but it is.

It was and is not "a bunch of baloney".

I agree that if X has raised fares in anticipation of the 2 day sale, to me that borders on fraud & they should be ashamed.

Since the Celebrity no discounting policy went into effect, The only price deviations I've seen are those from agencies which offer a group rate. Some agencies offer other incentives such as free travel insurance, but not discounted fares from rebating commission. I wish it wasn't like that, but it is.

It was and is not "a bunch of baloney".

Don't understand what the difference is between a discount and free insurance, or free prepaid gratuities or some other incentive. Money off the price is money off the price whether technically a discount or not.

We'd all be much happier if they'd just left the pricing alone and NOT had a "sale".

I agree, and although we are all less than impressed by this unscrupulous tactic, I would guess that there are a lot of unsuspecting people out there who think they are getting a bargain during this "sale". :(

Archived