Do You Tip At Johnny Rockets?

petesweet

In JR discussions and tipping discussions, this question has been raised a few times but keeps getting overlooked because of other interesting questions. Maybe a new thread will get it answered. Actually, I have several questions:

1. Do we tip at JR? If so, how much? Or is the tip covered by the $3.95 cover charge? Or, as in the cafeteria, do the waiters/waitresses get compensated by working in the regular dining room where they get tips?

2. I read that there are no take-out boxes provided at JR, but can a person carry something out without a take-out box? Sounds like a lot of food and hate to waste it.

3. Back to tipping (but not at JR), if you eat at one of the alternative restaurants, but not one that has a cover charge (I believe there are such restaurants on Explorer??), do you tip there? or do the waiters/waitresses get compensated by working in the regular dining room where they get tips?

We want to do the right thing with these waiters/waitresses, but we understand some get tipped in the regular dining room.

In the specialty restaurants, the "fee" covers the tips. You don't need to tip additionally UNLESS you feel the service was "above and beyond"! It's all personal choice. We did tip a couple of bucks in JR. I'm sure not everyone does.

The waitstaff in JR's and the specialty restaurants are NOT part of the dining room/ Windjammer waitstaff.

Room service delivery folks are kitchen staff, and should be tipped at time of delivery.

We don't usually tip in JR, but did on our Freedom cruise last March. One of the waiters took the time to point out a group of dolphins swimming along side the ship . He didn't have to take the time, and we appreciated it. The people who work in JR do a wonderful job, and deal with lots of impatient people but keep the smile on their face. If anyone deserves a tip, they do.

Part of my question was about the specialty restaurants THAT DO NOT HAVE A COVER CHARGE. Do we tip in those?

I don't believe that RCI ships have any specialty restaurants that don't have a cover charge. It's just Chops and/or Portofino.

Windjammer Buffet and Jade - the only reason to tip there is if you opt out of dining/tipping in the main dining room and choose to eat all of your dinners there.

Cafe Promenade: no tips

Part of my question was about the specialty restaurants THAT DO NOT HAVE A COVER CHARGE. Do we tip in those?

There are no specialty restaurants that I am aware of other than JR, Portofino and Chops. What restaurant are you referring to? Everything else is a buffet or counter.

We always tip $3-4 in JR because the staff works at serving you and anywhere else you would eat you would tip.

We always tip extra in Portofino and Chops due to exceptional service provided.

We always tip in Johnny Rockets. Not only are they working hard, but if you time it right, you get a floor show and dance to boot. It is worth a few bucks just for that.

Last trip, I gave the young lady $10.00 because she was having a bad day and had dropped all of our food and malts on the floor. She was so apologetic that I had to do something to make her day better.

I got free Malts from her for the rest of the week (on the side of course). Every time she saw me going into Sorentos (Pizza), she would wave me over and slip me my treat.

Some people tip bartenders for stronger drinks, I guess all is fair even when it comes to ice cream.

Happy Cruising...

Dave

We don't go often (usually give our free coupons away), but came back late from an excursion on our last trip and it was either a cold sandwich from the cafe or JR's. It was pretty empty, and the waitress bent over backwards to assure everything was good - we tipped $5. While I'm sure they have take-out containers, I can't imagine what one would do with cold leftovers - you really can't keep them cold enough in the room "cooler" and there's no way to heat them up - maybe a piece of pie, but that's about all I could think of wanting to take out.

These people work hard. I always tip in JR about $5 per person and in the specialty restaurants about $10 per person. I know that it says that the tip is included but if everyone used that they wouldn't make squat. I own 2 restaurants and my good wait staff will make between $200 to $300 per shift. They work their butts off for that money and deserve every penny. They are the hardest workers in the restaurant.

Is JRs Complimentary or is there a charge for this food?

Terry

If you are on your 2nd cruise or more, you get a free coupon to get in JRs, so you really are not paying to get in, thats why I was reading this, I cant see any other way these folks would get tipped if you are getting in free.

I was wondering too, thanks for the question, Im leaving in the morning for my cruise.

You dont have to tip in the windjammer, cafe prom., sorrentos etc. because they are all part of the dinning room wait staff. We tipped a couple fellows in the cafe prom. last cruise because the always had either shirley temples or roy rogers ready for my girls when they saw us walking in. :D

I don't believe that RCI ships have any specialty restaurants that don't have a cover charge. It's just Chops and/or Portofino.

Windjammer Buffet and Jade - the only reason to tip there is if you opt out of dining/tipping in the main dining room and choose to eat all of your dinners there.

Cafe Promenade: no tips

Con't forget the Seaview Cafe on the Radiance Class ships. It's a nice place to eat for a sandwich or salad, has a great view, table service and no cover charge!:)

Archived