QE2 40th, A Few Highlights

stowaway2k

Hello Cheeks.

It was fun to meet you those couple of times. Hope you have recovered well.

I wonder if I could have a picture of yourself with your parents that I can put on my webpage with the others?

Hi Jon

He asked me to post this pic - with his mates Arek and Miguel. Long Island Ice Teas a speciality :)

Mark

Looks like I failed to get the attachments to work

We just can't keep away from the Clyde. :p T-bird & I were back up to Greenock & Gourock this past weekend. Nothing like the style of our last visit but none the less as enjoyable as we were on the last seasons sailings of PS Waverley.

Now you all know the layout of the Clyde we stayed in our favourate small hotel at Gourock which is the next town down from Greenock where we were with QE2.

Once our sweatshirt or badge was spotted we had some great chats about her visit.

The whole area had fallen in love with her and the local Inverclyde newspaper had follow up stories about her visit.

The centre page spread was about a couple from NY who had lost their ownly son on 9/11 serving in the firservice. Each year at this time they try and do something special. This year it was the QE2 trip.

When they walked down to the activies at Greenock they spotted that the a vintage firengine had FDNY sticker in the window.

The firemen, on finding out, looked after them for the rest of the day taking them back to the fire station to see their own memorial to 9/11.

the vintage fire engines then gave us all a brilliant send off.

What a heart warming story.

The trips on the Waverley were very nice and the weather was very kind to us.

We did keep on remembering our super trip and I sure we drove eveyone mad remencing.

I only wish that the SS Norway & QE2 could have been on the Clyde together- what a sight!:cool:

:)

I swear I remember the QM2 and QE2 passing ne another on our Panama trip. I could be wrong though. I remember everyone rushing to the windows (She was a bit far, but it was announced) while we were at dinner (We at next to the window,) But maybe they were going the same direction only one was going faster or something. (but I thought it was opposites)

AZ GCS, You brought tears to my eyes.

Wonderful for you to go back and relive the trip, plus the story of the firefighter's folks.

Thanks for sharing!

KP

I've just received an email from the Southern Daily Echo in the UK regarding a special issue regarding the QE2 40th anniversary.

"The Southern Daily Echo has produced a magnificent magazine in commemoration of the 40th anniversary cruise of the QE2. This publication on one of the world’s most famous liners is designed and produced to the highest standards.

It is packed with fascinating facts and figures, passenger lists, featuring the great names of Hollywood that read like show business Who’s Who, unique and exclusive photographs tracing QE2’s unprecedented service under the famous Cunard flag and memories of the captains and crew will all go to make this publication unmissable.

This special publication has 148-pages, large format (450 x 245mm), 5000 limited edition, sequential numbering to cover, UV varnish, perfect bound, special gold ink finish.

The cost including postage and packaging, will be:

UK £14.92

EUROPE £17.33

REST OF THE WORLD £20.81

"

I was reviewing photos last night from Jon and Kyle's albums (great!) - Questions - When I saw the photo, I remember hearing about flying under a different flag, but not being UK, didn't understand. So I saw the photo of Flag of St Andrew - can someone explain that so I can add it to my notes. The driver we had after we got off on the 23rd explained something about the Union Jack being a combination of flags - does it have anything to do with that?

And, I read in one of the QE2 stories about the celebration that a flag was being designed by children in Newcastle? Am I remembering that correctly? Was that ever flown? Anyone get a photo of that? Thanks.

The flag of St Andrew is used by Scotland, (blue flag with white cross) as QE2 was built in Scotland they flew the "Scotish" flag.

The Union Flag, is a combination of the flags of St George, St Andrew and St Patrick.

I think there was something about the union flag on another thread but can't remember where. :confused:

I was reviewing photos last night from Jon and Kyle's albums (great!) - Questions - When I saw the photo, I remember hearing about flying under a different flag, but not being UK, didn't understand. So I saw the photo of Flag of St Andrew - can someone explain that so I can add it to my notes.

Hi Debbie

Could be two things you are thinking of. Could be that while in Scottish ports the ship would have flown the St Andrew's cross (white diagonal cross on blue background) on the starboard side of the mast or is that the ship carries the "red duster" at the stern, a union flag at the one corner and the rest red. This is the flag of British Merchant Marine.

Britain has such complicated history when it comes to these things....

There was a flag designed for the voyage by kids. Although I do not have a pic of it on the mast, the cake in the Britannia had a copy of it. It was on the mast of the ship though, because I remembering commenting about it.

The flag was exactly as shown, i.e. a kids drawing, showing the landmarks and events of the voyage.

flag.jpg.3da669bb5c1c5b9040072d03e2b26103.jpg

I know I'm a bit late - been working away a lot these past few weeks - but I've finally got around to putting some of my photos online.

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=slideshow.Slideshow&g2_itemId=202494

You'll then have to click on "show more info" to get the captions, and change the size to 640 or 800 depending on your screen. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way to automate this.

Regards, Colin

Thanks for some lovely photographs Colin They are really Good. I was doing housework but I have been 'on' the QE2 for the past half hourGood one of my husband in the Captains Cabin. What memories!!!!!!!!:D

Hi Coolgran,

You and myself missed out on that Photo !!! :rolleyes:

But we were speaking to Mrs McNaught and Steven !!! :D

Gav :cool:

Archived