Princess Cruiser Demographics

ORV

Not having sailed on Princess before I'm not sure what to expect. Are your fellow passengers mainly older, middle aged, families, singles?

Middle class, well to do, bunch of rednecks, all of the above?

But most importantly, how many kids?

If it helps we are on the 1/26/08 sailing out of LA on Golden

I guess the answer to all your questions is yes. There will be old people, middle agers, families, young couples, and singles. There will be middle lass people and rednecks. There will be kids. Probably not so many kids because school is in session when you are traveling. As a general rule, the longer Princess cruises will attract an older and more well to do group of passengers.

On my last cruise there were more 70+ cruisers than I've ever seen. You had to very careful to not get run over by all the Jazzys and Rascals.

I wasn't used to that.

Thanks for the answers

I agree that there is a mix. But, maybe it was the cruise that I was on last week, but there definitely seemed to be a majority of passengers in the 50-70 age range. We met some wonderful people our age (and some who weren't our age). Just my opinion

Looks like you are headed out on a 7 day Mexican Riviera?

If so, at that time of year, not too many kids. School is open and spring break hasn't started.

Lots of couples, ages all over the place since this is a 7 day trip. Longer trips, slightly older demographic since they tend to be able to take more time away.

You are likely to see a concentration of 40's, 50's 60's on that trip.

Have a great cruise!:)

Thanks for the replies, common logic would make you think that you wouldn't see kids during that time.

We always try to cruise or vacation at non spring-break-christmas-summer etc times but invariably you'll see a lot of families with kids. Makes you wonder how many of them go to school.

A lot depends upon when and where you are travelling. On a 15 day TransAtlantic cruise--expect a 60 year old (majority) crowd with VERY few kids. On a sumer cruise (7 days or less) in the Caribbean --expect an average age of 35 (and LOTS of kids). Just book what makes you feel good.!!

Most of the cruises I have done feature a lot of passengers in the 50+ age group. I think it takes a few years to get the extra money to cruise. Almost everyone has been professional, or retired professional. The Mexican Riviera has a lot of California people, and is a bit younger, and more relaxed. You seldom see loud drunks on Princess. Most people go to bed around midnight, to have energy for the next day's adventure. I think the spring break cruises are more boisterous. I like it quiet and elegant, and I enjoy older people. They have learned a lot from life, and will share, if you give them a chance!;)

My husband and I were also on the 10/27/07 10 day Emerald Princess cruise. We are 42 and 43 years of age. We again were the youngest persons on the bus to take us to Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale). This was our 4th Princess cruise. We did Carnival when we were 26 and thought the others were old, too--but not to the point of noticing them being "blue hairs".

I also noticed--again--that most of the passengers on the Princess ship were older than us. Maybe a few sprinklings of 20-30 somethings who were usually honeymooning. About 10% forty somethings like us, a few 50 somethings, and at least 60% seniors aged 65+. I figure it had something to do with older people saving their money ie: can afford to cruise. No one in my circle of friends cruises except for my inlaws and they are in their 60's.

What you do is just hook up with people in your age group and hang out with them. You also can socialize with the older folks (what fun would it be to cruise with just 2 other people?).

As some have said, a late January cruise won't have that many kids onboard. And many passengers will be from the Southern California area as it's an easy cruise for those of us in this area.

Of course, you may have some families, especially some homeschooled kids. We did take our girl on a MR cruise in mid-February when she was 5 (we got an excellent rate that we couldn't pass up), but since then school districts are trying to cut down on non-illness related absences (the State of California pays each school money per child per day).

Sounds like you are doing a Mexico cruise. You are doing it in a non-vacation period for schools so probably not very many kids. I took an early Dec Mexico cruise a couple of years ago and there was a mix of age groups. I had traditional dining and most people on "formal night" did not wear formal clothes. Most men wore just business suits or sport coat/slacks. Ladies had a wide variety of dressing types. It was very casual compared to other cruises we have been on. Weather was cool the first and last couple of days and warm otherwise. You have a cross section of society on board. Princess is not the party ship that Carnival ships have a reputation of being. Even on the Mexico trips things quiet down late in the evening; at least on my cruise they did.

I've cruised Princess to the Caribbean and Mexican Rivera several times (all 7 day) and a short 3 day coastal. Princess' average passenger is 50+, of european descent, and middle/upper middle class economically. A good percentage will be from Canada (10-20%).

With that said, I've met many people in their 30's and 40's. There's not too many 20 - 28 year olds on board. (too old to travel with parents? Not old enough to afford many cruises on their own?)

Princess' more upscale and classy reputation causes the demographic to be a bit older than RCCL and especially Carnival.

• 7 months later...

I'm wondering if anyone's been on a Baltic cruise and if they attract an older crowd than the usual Princess cruise? I'm going on the Crown in August and would like to know what to expect.

I was on the Grand in the Baltic 4 years ago the first part of June. It was a little too early for most kids to be out of school, but there were some. While there was a fair representation of all age groups on this particular sailing, most were 50+.

We thought there were fewer coffin dodgers on our Princess cruises. This may be due to the fact that Wrinklies don't like to fly anywhere and prefer to sail directly from Southampton.

Peter

We thought there were fewer coffin dodgers on our Princess cruises. This may be due to the fact that Wrinklies don't like to fly anywhere and prefer to sail directly from Southampton.

Peter

It's always fun to compare British and American slang. 'Coffin dodgers' is a new one for me, but I think I will incorporate it into my vocabulary. LOL:D

BTW, this may be an urban legend, but I've heard that the ships are always stocked with some empty coffins, 'just in case.':cool:

Peter

Irreverant but LMAO!!! :D

Longer trips, slightly older demographic since they tend to be able to take more time away.

This is true with any cruiseline. And since Princess does not have alot in their inventory of 7 day cruises.....this is where they get the reputation of older cruisers....

We cruise Princess, Carnival and RCCL and have had the same age groups on all.........20's to 70's

Archived