What's the Best HAL Ship?

hunterafri

I agree with peaches---it depends on what little differences matter most to you.

I'm partial to the original S-class ships because they have a real Piano Bar.

I love the mid-ship staircase/elevator bank on the Rotterdam and Amsterdam. Haven't sailed the Volendam or Zaandam, but expect I would feel the same way.

I like the size of the Prinsendam, but the lack of a piano bar is a definite minus.

From everything I've read here I don't want to sail the Vista-class. The size itself, more children, no laundry all serve to keep me off.

The best ship? The one I'm on!

Our favorite so far is the Amsterdam..We were on her in S. American last year & had a wonderful time on this lovely ship...Can't say that we dislike any of the HAL ships...Have only been on the Ryndam-'98, Volendam- '01, Maasdam-03, Amsterdam "03.. Have been on several NCL ships & enjoy HAL ships & service much better! ...Will be on the "Westerdam" Trans-Atlantic in Nov. (our first cruise on a Vista class ship)..Hope we'll enjoy it as well..

We too live in Cape Coral, in the old yacht club section (since 1988) & love it here..Did you sustain any damage from "Charlie", "Frances", or the tornado that hit the other day..Only part of our dock & a few trees were damaged..Had no electric until the Friday after Charlie hit, but consider ourselves very fortunate compared to those in Punta Gorda & Port Charlotte..

Happy Cruising!

Betty & John

Our favorite so far is the Amsterdam..We were on her in S. American last year & had a wonderful time on this lovely ship...Can't say that we dislike any of the HAL ships...Have only been on the Ryndam-'98, Volendam- '01, Maasdam-03, Amsterdam "03.. Have been on several NCL ships & enjoy HAL ships & service much better! ...Will be on the "Westerdam" Trans-Atlantic in Nov. (our first cruise on a Vista class ship)..Hope we'll enjoy it as well..

We too live in Cape Coral, in the old yacht club section (since 1988) & love it here..Did you sustain any damage from "Charlie", "Frances", or the tornado that hit the other day..Only part of our dock & a few trees were damaged..Had no electric until the Friday after Charlie hit, but consider ourselves very fortunate compared to those in Punta Gorda & Port Charlotte..

Happy Cruising!

Betty & John

We had $6000 in damage. Lost our dome screening, solar paneling, every tree, roof vent and a number of shingles. Looking forward to our Royal Princess cruise from Bangkok to Cape Town. TA was asking if we wanted to change our TransAtlantic in the Spring and substitute summer so that is why I was asking.

Best Regards,

afri: yes, hard to say which is best, but our favorite is also the Amsterdam, after 2 cruises on her. The Statendam comes in 2nd for us. But, we are going to try the Oosterdam and Prinsendam next year, both very different from the Amsterdam/Rotterdam and the S-class ships, for example, Statendam, Ryndam, Maasdam, Zaandam, Volendam. There are currently 3 Vista class HAL ships: Zuiderdam, Oosterdam and Westerdam. The Prinsendam is a one-of-a-kind HAL ship, much smaller than the rest, carrying less than 800 passengers. I'm sure you will get a lot of feedback on your question, with no good or "best" answer.

They say that there is nothing better than your first...

I really enjoyed Amsterdam last week, but looking forward to going back to the Vista-Class: Oosterdam next year and hopefully the new Noordam in '06.

Other than that, I would like to try Prinsendam - its the first cruise ship I'd ever seen when it was here in SF as Royal Viking Sun on its first world cruise.

They say that there is nothing better than your first...

I really enjoyed Amsterdam last week, but looking forward to going back to the Vista-Class: Oosterdam next year and hopefully the new Noordam in '06.

Other than that, I would like to try Prinsendam - its the first cruise ship I'd ever seen when it was here in SF as Royal Viking Sun on its first world cruise.

One of my best cruises was the Noordam, last year. I just loved that ship which is why I have signed up for the 30 day cruise on the Royal Princess. What have you heard of the new Noordam? Thanks

I'll try again - my previous attempt disappeared while attempting to correct a spelling error.

Tough choice - you choose your cruises differently than I do - I choose itinerary first, then ship, line, price, etc.

I really liked the old Westerdam, now Costa Europa, I believe. I could only choose between Westerdam, Noordam, and Maasdam, the ones I have been on.

Vic......

60 Bahama Star

73 Rembrandt

79 Starwind

80 Norway

80 Nordic Prince

84 Iceland

85 Germany

86 Sweden

87 Norway, Holland, Denmark

88 Germany

89 England, France, Italy

90 Brazil, Peru, Argentina

91 Columbia

92 Venezuela

96 Zimbabwe

97 South Africa

97 Peru

98 Argentina

98 Kenya, Tanzania

99 South Africa

00 Zimbabwe, South Africa

03/15/03 Noordam

What is this listing of countries supposed to mean? I see a few ships named but mostly countries????

One of my best cruises was the Noordam, last year. I just loved that ship which is why I have signed up for the 30 day cruise on the Royal Princess. What have you heard of the new Noordam? Thanks

New Noordam won't be out until 2006, so no one can tell you anything about it. She will be the last of the Vista class ships.....Zuiderdam/Oosterdam/Westerdam.

Our favourite ships - Volendam, Rotterdam and Veendam in that order.

Vic......

60 Bahama Star

73 Rembrandt

79 Starwind

80 Norway

80 Nordic Prince

84 Iceland

85 Germany

86 Sweden

87 Norway, Holland, Denmark

88 Germany

89 England, France, Italy

90 Brazil, Peru, Argentina

91 Columbia

92 Venezuela

96 Zimbabwe

97 South Africa

97 Peru

98 Argentina

98 Kenya, Tanzania

99 South Africa

00 Zimbabwe, South Africa

03/15/03 Noordam

What is this listing of countries supposed to mean? I see a few ships named but mostly countries????

When I was traveling in Africa, I took a lot of cruises where the names of the ships and the "cruise lines" would not be noticeable by anyone on this board. Does a small boat cruising down the Zambezi mean much to you or anyone else or a boat that goes between Norway, Holland, Denmark and Sweden mean anything to you? I could not remember the names of the ships in the 1960 to 1973 time period so I left them off. I did remember the Bahama Star though because that was my high school trip. Sorry, I couldn't be more specific.

Best Regards,

Archived