Maybe it's the title "Senior"

Richard in Panama

Funny !!!

It never occurred to me that 55+ required special consideration (except for getting a discount :^)

How about "under 20" or "middle age" or "bald" ?

It's not that we "require" special considerations, but it is nice to be aware of those that are offered.

Does anyone really buy the art at sea???? I find these and the 'diamond' lectures very cheesy.

I sailed on the NCL Spirit in January and found many places during the day to read. It was not always quiet though. I did not understand why there weren't more lounge chairs on the decks away from the pool. They are just packed onto the pool deck so that you can hardly walk between them.

Lectures' date=' yes my DH and I would go.[/quote']

I have always found that the promenade deck mid-ship is a quieter place to read rather than near the pools. Another good place to go is the disco/bar or observation/bar - it's deserted during the day. Unfortunately, there's also no service there so it's byob.

It's not that we "require" special considerations, but it is nice to be aware of those that are offered.

I agree. There's nothing worse than getting somewhere, booking something, and finding out too late that there was a discount. We could have gotten an AARP discount for a house we rented near Disney for two weeks. Would have saved us $500 but we didn't find out until check-in time. By then the receptionist said they would have to cancel the reservation and rebook which would entail a penalty fee that pretty much wiped out the savings.

I just "found" this sight.

I, along with a lot of other people do go to the "main" cruise line to ask questions, or write reviews, which I do.

My friend ( I don't mind giving my age) who is 65, and I am 66 just got back from the Carnival Inspiration (a smaller ship, shorter stay) the first part of April.

This made my 9th cruise. I have been on Holland American Line, (my first, which we loved, as we had NO clue what a cruise was all about.:)), RCCL, NCL, Princess, and Carnival. I belive I like Carnival the best, as it seems like their rooms are a little larger.

I just want to make this comment, as I said I was 66. Most people don't think I look that, but the reason I mention this is what I did in Cozumel, just recently. We went to Punta Sur, and I wanted to "climb":eek: the lighthouse, which I did. If you have never been there, it is very nice. It has 133 steps up, 133 steps down. In "8" minutes I did 432 steps. The reason I am "bragging" is that everyone said my heart or legs would go out on me, and I felt great the day, and the following days.:) It IS an experience, and what a VIEW to see.:)

As for being a 55+ senior, I "don't" mind asking for discounts, afterall, they are DUE to us I feel.:)

brneyes

Good for you, brneyes! I've never been to the lighthouse. Need to check that out the next time we do Cozumel. We usually end up at the beach snorkeling. Don't like to dive there because of the current--did it once. That was enough.

We've never cruised Carnival but are wanting to try out several lines we've never been on. It's on our list.

Good for you, brneyes! I've never been to the lighthouse. Need to check that out the next time we do Cozumel. We usually end up at the beach snorkeling. Don't like to dive there because of the current--did it once. That was enough.

We've never cruised Carnival but are wanting to try out several lines we've never been on. It's on our list.

You'll have fun.....We always did....There's always something to do.....Lot's of noise/color and a wonderful crew!

Although, we really prefer a more sedate cruise experience....Carnival always "kicks" it up a notch and, if it's too much you can always go back to your cabin!

My DH is 71 years old (love those older men) and, he's feeling a comfort zone with Princess.

I just wanted to throw in a couple thoughts.

I read where someone (I believe they were 55) had never received a discount on their cruise. I have found not all lines give discounts, but if you have a TA, or book the cruise on your own, this is what I have found. My TA is normally pretty busy, so I call the cruise line directly, and DO NOT tell them I have already booked a cruise. I then ask if they give senior discounts. Sometimes they do, sometimes not. I have also found that they may be "trying" to get people to book, as a promotion, so they will give a senior discount. I then contact my TA, or if you booked through the cruise line, contact them and let them know they are "now" giving a senior discount, and normally the TA, or the cruise line will give the discount, or a credit on the ship.

Yes, I have found that I am as "young";)as I feel. I know a lot of it has to do with the people I am with. If I'm with "teenagers", I come "almost" down to their level. With older people, I can "move up" into their bracket also.

brneyes

When my aunt turned 80, she turned to me and said, "Honey, I may be 80 on the outside but I'm still 18 on the inside!"

Great suggestion, brneyes. We have found too that we need to keep checking to see if the prices of the cruises we've booked have gone down. We generally book early and have found that often there is a price reduction as time goes on. Our TA, too, is busy but when we find the price change, we get her to call the cruise line and get us that price. We saved a couple thousand on one cruise not long ago and ended up with extra onboard credits as well. Unfortunately, you have to be your own sleuth and advocate. No one will come to you and tell you the price has changed.

I read where someone (I believe they were 55) had never received a discount on their cruise. I have found not all lines give discounts, but if you have a TA, or book the cruise on your own, this is what I have found. My TA is normally pretty busy, so I call the cruise line directly, and DO NOT tell them I have already booked a cruise. I then ask if they give senior discounts. Sometimes they do, sometimes not. I have also found that they may be "trying" to get people to book, as a promotion, so they will give a senior discount. I then contact my TA, or if you booked through the cruise line, contact them and let them know they are "now" giving a senior discount, and normally the TA, or the cruise line will give the discount, or a credit on the ship.

Yes, I have found that I am as "young";)as I feel. I know a lot of it has to do with the people I am with. If I'm with "teenagers", I come "almost" down to their level. With older people, I can "move up" into their bracket also.

brneyes

I'm the oldest woman in my office of 25 and, I don't think they realize it! I'm always getting invited to their parties and asked to go out with them and, on and on!!!!!

One day they'll realize I'm old enough to be their mother and they'll treat me that way......But, it really has to come from me....And, I like it just the way it is.

Life is filled with lots of fun, if you live it!!!!!

brneyes

Excellent tip, I will check this immediately because I book a few weeks ago by my TA but not realize I was 55. Any body know or HAL has 55+ discount ?

Oops just hear from my TA, HAL not offer 55+ discount, must say my TA is quick on response, just send email and a few minutes later get a phone call.

Just found this! I'm 55 and DH is 56. I agree with the "don't want to be labeled old" cause I don't think of my self as being old.

My friends are all ages and most of the nurses and techs I work with are in my age range. (The average age for an RN is 54! :eek:) We have a few young 'uns, but we all hang out and go to dinner, hockey games, etc.

I guess the bottom line is, I don't think in terms of age whether I am researching on CC, or talking about shore excursions, restaurants, etc.

I do like that discount at Kohl's and Bealls though!! ;)

I just wanted to mentioned that someone had ask about the senior discounts on the cruises.

Since I normally book my cruises at least 3 months in advance (I start talking/emailing my TA about 6 months in advance, trying to get ideas from her on which ship has the BEST:) deals.), I may check several times before the actual date of cruising with the "ship line itself", maybe just two weeks before, just to make sure they are not giving a senior discount before I cruise. The ship line or your TA should be able to change or give you that discount. As I said, they may not give you a discount in "money", but may give you a discount in ship credit on the ship.

Also for you first cruisers, normally once you have cruised once on the ship and decide to cruise on that same line, (Doesn't have to be the same ship.), you will start getting a few perks;), as they want your business.

brneyes

Honestly, I always forget that I am a senior....and, am now asking cruiselines, hotels, restaurants, etc....if they give a senior discount.

I'm also finding that when I ask if they give a AAA member discount, I can sometimes get a better value than getting a senior one!

Asking for AAA discounts is fine, that is.........if you belong to AAA, or AARP. I have found (if I don't know) that is doesn't hurt;)to ask for a senior discount. As I say, "anything" is better than nothing.:)

Another thing I found, when I go on airline websites, some give senior discounts, others don't. I compare prices, for even though they may say they give senior discounts, they may, but they may have the prices hiked in the first place. Another thing I check out when booking a flight is whether it is "straight through", or if you have to transfer. To me, that makes a big difference in time/money. If it is not that much more in money, I do the straight flight. For example, when my friend and I came back from our cruise recently, we flew into Atlanta, Georgia. Therein lied the problem, both going and coming back. When we left to cruise, we were delayed in Atlanta, before going to Tampa, and wound up losing our transfer as we were late getting in. When coming back, we were delayed in Tampa, as we could not fly in to Atlanta. Thus we wound up staying overnight.:mad: From now on, I'm going (if it doesn't cost too much more) to try to do a "direct" flight, for in the long run, I can see it pays off.

brneyes

• 2 weeks later...

As a "senior" I would like to have more learning experiences on sea days. Classes about the area we are seeing and the people who live there. Just anything besides partying, drinking, newlywed games, hairy chest contests, etc. Some of the more luxury cruises have these but can't afford the cruise. I love what they offer in Elderhostel cruises but again, too expensive. NCL on a TA I went on had a guest speaker who was an elderly retired professor who spoke on various subjects in exchange for a big discount on his cruise. I would like to see more of that.

As a "senior" I would like to have more learning experiences on sea days. Classes about the area we are seeing and the people who live there. Just anything besides partying, drinking, newlywed games, hairy chest contests, etc. Some of the more luxury cruises have these but can't afford the cruise. I love what they offer in Elderhostel cruises but again, too expensive. NCL on a TA I went on had a guest speaker who was an elderly retired professor who spoke on various subjects in exchange for a big discount on his cruise. I would like to see more of that.

What an excellent idea.

I don't think the cruise industry has fully tapped the growing independent "seniors" market. Seniors can travel for longer periods of time, often on short notice.

We love Elderhostel also, but our exchange rates make it too expensive.

I think, in the current economic climate, more lower cost options should be offered. Many seniors realise that the simple life has much to offer.

We also enjoy enrichment programmes, as we travel to learn about the wonderful world we all share. We also don't travel to party, although I'm sure there are many seniors who do.

I'm 62 and I just noticed this board. I don't mind the word "senior" as I'm glad to have lived long enough to be one. But we Baby Boomers don't equate "senior" with "old." ;)

Exactly!

However, I gave up on "middle aged" years ago, as I didn't know anyone over 100!

I'm 62 and I just noticed this board. I don't mind the word "senior" as I'm glad to have lived long enough to be one. But we Baby Boomers don't equate "senior" with "old." ;)

Nicely said Cruznjan! We welcome the "rewards" and acknowledgements that come from being over 55. The respect and admiration we gave our elders when we were young is now being given to us. We're proud to be senior baby boomers! :D

Archived