RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

RevNeal

Very nice pictures, Greg - thank you!

It looks like they'll need a ramp on those lido steps badly (in fact, I'm surprised they let that one get away, considering on our recent Oosterdam cruise they had even cut pieces of red carpet into the blue stairs in the stairwells to make the steps more noticeable).

Question for you: when you, Brian and Scotty were out on that VT balcony, what was the wind like up there when the ship was underway? They look largely unsheltered - I wonder how useful they'd be, except in port?

Design flaws are not always apparent while the ships is being built. Today, we discovered one that "looks" lovely, but is practically a broken neck,knee, hip waiting to happen.
The step would still look lovely if the craftsmen had put down a "stripe" of contrasting wood like a deep red/dark brown mahogany at the top of step. I notice the planks run the right way and everything it would've been an easy thing to do.

edam45.jpg

edam47.jpg

Design flaws are not always apparent while the ships is being built.

Today, we discovered one that "looks" lovely, but is practically a broken neck,knee, hip waiting to happen. The above photos document the problem. It's a STEP up from the deck to the seating area in the Lido. There is no ramp, like on the Vistas, to reach the level ... it's a STEP. When one approaches it with one's tray, one cannot see it. AND, even when one isn't carrying a tray full of food one finds it hard to see the step because the wood flooring, while lovely, camouflages it.

This step is found at both entrances to the center/forward sitting area of the Lido deck dining room.

Today, 4 people tripped on it: (1) RuthC, (2) RevNeal, (3) a ship's entertainer -- not part of the act! -- (4) a steward carrying someone's tray.

A ramp needs to be installed. That, or some kind of warning to alert people to this step and keep folk from stumbling over it and falling flat on their faces ... as I nearly did.

Yikes -- that is not good -- no ramp -- and you can barely see the step.

6.Can people use the Canaletto section of the Lido for breakfast and lunch? Yes.

Brian wrote on his thread: "Canaletto is NOT open for breakfast and lunch! It is a permanent restaurant inside the Lido and can NOT be used by “normal” Lido Restaurant patrons!"

Um, so which is it guys :confused:

Greg,

Thanks so much for your excellent, as always, reporting. Keep 'em coming and please ignore the silly "controversary". Some of the posters sound (look) like the following Vigeland sculpture.

LOL ... thanks, Dan!

Yes, indeed ... I had that "angry boy" in my mind while reading some of the nonsense ... and I have a fabulous shot of that same sculpture (only mine is being deluged by rain). He actually looks like he's mad about the rain!!!!!!

:D

Oh, well.

Like Brian, I'm still up and need to be asleep. I have an early morning tour I need to get up for!!!!! Nite nite!

Brian wrote on his thread: "Canaletto is NOT open for breakfast and lunch! It is a permanent restaurant inside the Lido and can NOT be used by “normal” Lido Restaurant patrons!"

Um, so which is it guys :confused:

Sigh ... so many misunderstandings here.

The Canaletto AREA is very much usable in the Lido during breakfast and lunch. I've eaten in the space twice and I've watched them set it up for Canaletto operations after the close down from Lunch in the afternoon. It's not the Canaletto during Breakfast and Lunch, however, it's part of the Lido. The decor is different, but that's all. There's not a section of the Lido that is sitting, unused, during breakfast and lunch.

Brian and Scotty measure the balcony of a VT-category ("Very tiny") cabin, just abaft the Crows Nest.

edam44.jpg

Tell Brian that I said "Good job done!" I knew he'd pull through with the tape measure!

Great photos, Greg. I'm enjoying each and every one...you're all having a ball!

WOW! That step is really a bad accident waiting to happen. I hope you and Ruth are OK after tripping on it. I hope they fix it before I get aboard because I would surely trip there too.

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like a great time was had at the Meet and Greet and I love Brian and Scotty and the tape measure. Great job!

Hi Greg:

Thanks so much for continuing to post despite all the flack. I seem to remember that you had to go through it at least once before (photos of people in shorts on formal night?) and still you maintain your good humor and continue to inform and delight us with your posts.

Sorry about the seating arrangements for dinner and I hope that it all gets sorted out really, really soon.

Have a sensational cruise and I will be looking forward to your next posts.

Valerie:)

Greg,

It's hot here in Mesquite!! Gonna be hotter by the end of the week. Lucky you!!

Thanks so much for the time you've taken to do these commentaries of the ship and taking pictures AND answering questions AND putting up with some people. My hats off to you!!!

I agree. It was fun seeing some familiar faces at the Meet and Greet.....including Captain and HM Stan Kuppens, Ruth, Scotty, Brian, was that Adele?

Sail, in this photo I could spot both BillS's wife and Jim Hannah's wife:) Beside recognizing both Grumpy and Slinkie and Ruth and I am guessing Adele.

edam41.jpg

Excellent pics and information RevNeal! Many thanks. If you happen to have the opportunity to visit an SS stateroom and post a pic or two that would be great. We're looking forward to experiencing the Eurodam soon.

Thanks again,

Mrs. Howell

RevNeal

Great reviews and pics

Thank you for sharing:)

Please add me to the list of folks who eagarly await your reviews and thoroughly enjoy them.

BLESSED ARE THE TABLE DANCERS I say *LOL*

without them I would be walking around with about $1.5 million in singles in my pocket by now:)

Sorry about the the dinner seating problems you are having. Two tables for eight and a table for 4 in the same general vicinity hardly sounds like Mission Impossible. Hopefully that will all be worked out.

ENJOY:)

Sigh ... so many misunderstandings here.

The Canaletto AREA is very much usable in the Lido during breakfast and lunch. I've eaten in the space twice and I've watched them set it up for Canaletto operations after the close down from Lunch in the afternoon. It's not the Canaletto during Breakfast and Lunch, however, it's part of the Lido. The decor is different, but that's all. There's not a section of the Lido that is sitting, unused, during breakfast and lunch.

Thank you kindly.

One would expect to see such actions on Carnival, but not on Holland America. Do people put drinks and food on those tables? How unsanitary and inconsiderate to contaminate the tabletop!!! Most people travel on HAL hoping to have a more genteel experience.
LOL ... oh, my word! Do you lay your food down on the table without the protection of a plate/napkin? Do you spill some of your drink and then lean down and slurp it up right from the table?

Good lord, any number of things could be on that table before you got there ... maybe someone's camera, maybe a child's stuffed animal or pacifier because mom has him in there sleeping in her arms while she is talking with friends.

If you don't realize that a table in a public restaurant is not necessarily the most sanitary thing in the world, then you're living in a dream world. The next time you go out to eat at home ... to your neighborhood diner, a local Denny's, even a Mickey D's ... just imagine what sorts of things have been sitting on those tables before you got there ... and that's precisely why your food is wrapped and you use a tray with a fresh, clean liner to put your food on ... or you have a placemat on the table, with your hopefully clean dishes containing food on top of that. Believe me, this little episode on the Eurodam is absolutely nothing to get your bowels in an uproar about. After all, it happened in a DISCO ... a place designed for partying ... a place where partying is ENCOURAGED ... not in the dining room or some other area where people would have a right not to be at all amused.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived