RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

RevNeal

Greg, have you come accross anything that indicates that it is now OK to bring beer onboard too? CCer Sir PMP has said that he recieved a note on the Zuiderdam recently that said it was OK. Could you confirm that, please?

Great question!! I will be following this answer closely!!:D

As the lovely ms Eurodam backs away from the Pier at the Norwegian Fjord-port-city of Flam, I think I'm going to take a few minutes to write down the glorious sights of these past two days. I know, I've shared a few remarks and a few pictures from yesterday, but I want to play catch up and get all of this down before any more time passes.

Playing Catch Up - Alesund -

Yesterday in Alesund was almost indescribable. As horrible as the weather was in Oslo, in Alesund it was just "beutonimous." One couldn't ask for more perfect weather ... a cloudless sky, cool fresh breezes, a warm sun. It was perfect. I got off the ship early and took a shore excursion designed to let one see some of the countryside around Alesund as well as a scenic overview of the port itself. Our bus took us through a few tunnels, under the Fjords, and out to some of the outer Islands where we saw one of the oldest churches in Norway. This marble and stone structure has been standing for 800+ years, which is old by their standards (most buildings in norway that old have burned down). From this lovely chapel we proceeded on toward a magnificent light house. Be warned ... they say it's an easy walk from the bus to the structure -- its' not. Likewise, it's 98 steps UP to the top, and they're not easy steps ... they're narrow rungs on steep ladders. I made it to the top, however, and was rewarded with a fantastic view of the low-lying islands on he far western Norwegian shore as well as a soothing view of the far north Atlantic Ocean. It was truly impressive to consider how FAR it is from that vantage point to the United States, and how FAR the early Vikings sailed to reach just Newfoundland!

From the Lighthouse we made our away back into Alesund and up a hill to a high look-out spot, above the city. From here I took in the fabulous sights of the city which has been voted "the most beautiful city of Norway." I agree ... it's a lovely city, and the views of the ship which this vantage point afforded cannot be easily duplicated. The air was clear, crisp, and perfect for photography.

Last night was a pleasant night. The Captain and HM held a reception for some of the passengers in the Lido Deck pool area. It was a crowded affair and, of course, the Lido Pool area Cabanas were not used even though there simply were not enough seats to be had. :) There was an Open Bar and there were stewards walking around with selections of hot and cold hors d'oeuvres. Scotty was two-fisted drinking (champagne and a mixed drink) and we were all eating the yummy hors d'oeuvres and enjoying conversation with ship's officers, crew, and fellow passengers. I inquired with Hotel Manger Stan Kuppens about the step in the Lido dining room and his response was that it was being looked in to but that options on how to fix the issue due to logistics of the room. There is no denying that it's a serious problem, however ... someone tripped and fell, throwing a tray of food all over the place this morning, and it's only a miracle that a bone wasn't broken.

Last night the dinner included the Dutch Night selections, but not Dutch hats. :( After dinner we enjoyed an evening in the Crows Nest, with conversation and drinks and much laughter. I gave Ruth a song book and she was having fun -- while the pianist was on break -- working on the tunes to many of the songs! We also talked about future cruises and about what was coming next on this cruise.

Odds and Ends -

Adele experienced a major malfunction yesterday when her toilet fountained sewage to the ceiling and continued to pump fluid and "muck" onto the floor in copious amounts. When the cabin steward was told there was a problem he assured her he could fix anything, but when he saw what was going on, he backed out and said "I call plumber!"

Vik and Flam:

Yet another prefect day. The sun was shining, the temperatures were in the low 70s, there was only light cloud cover and gorgeous blue skies as we began our Fjord cruising this morning. It's amazing how far one cruises in-land in the Fjords in order to reach the ports-of-call. And the beauty of the trip is breathtaking. The tall mountains on either side coming right down to the water continued to fill us with wonder as we wound our way through the inner-coastal waterways toward Vik, then on toward Flam. I could have spent hours outside, photographing the transit, and I did spend a while doing that; however, I also had a much-needed haircut that took me back in-doors for about an hour. Nicholas gives fantastic barber. If you're going to be aboard anytime between now and November, 2008, seek him out for your hair services. Wonderful!

From Flam I took the Land and Sea excursion which included a Fjord boat ride back up the Fjord and then down a different water way, where we were regaled with impressive waterfalls and stunning cliff-faces. I managed to get some good photos of the ship from the water as we departed, and I hope to post a few of them on this board tonight or tomorrow. It was a pleasing 2 hour cruise up and along the waterways to where we were let off and boarded a bus for a trip up to a hotel for some coffee and cake and a lovely view of one of the Fjord valleys. Then, it was off for the ship. Truly, a scenic experience.

Tonight we have another Smart Casual Night. I noticed that Parmesan Crusted Chicken breast is on the Menu! YEAH! That's one of my favorite things to eat in the main dining room. Then, tonight, I have a feeling it's back to dancing in the Northern Lights as the theme tonight is the 50s, 60s, and 70s ... or something like that. I think Scotty's knee is somewhat better, so dancing it will be. :D

All for now. I have to get ready for dinner (again).

One more questions. How to you get to Tamarind. Do all elevators go there ?

The Tamarind is located amidships. Hence, only the midships elevators go up to it. The forward elevators go up to deck 11, but there they access the Crows Nest. The aft elevators only go up to deck 9 (Lido deck).

Greg, have you come accross anything that indicates that it is now OK to bring beer onboard too? CCer Sir PMP has said that he recieved a note on the Zuiderdam recently that said it was OK. Could you confirm that, please?

As far as I'm aware the booze policy has long been that one could bring beer or wine aboard the ship for consumption in your cabin or (at least in the case of wine) at dinner. Ditto for soft drinks. Only hard liquor has been restricted by Line policy. At least, that's been my understanding. I don't bring beer or wine aboard, so I'm only speaking based upon my hear-say. I'll ask around tonight and see what I can find out.

As far as I'm aware the booze policy has long been that one could bring beer or wine aboard the ship for consumption in your cabin or (at least in the case of wine) at dinner. Ditto for soft drinks. Only hard liquor has been restricted by Line policy. At least, that's been my understanding. I don't bring beer or wine aboard, so I'm only speaking based upon my hear-say. I'll ask around tonight and see what I can find out.

Thanks for checking Greg, the policy has been that beer and hard liqour was not allowed.

From the HAL website (emphasis added by me):

Except for wine and champagne
, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops
or otherwise brought on the ship
cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

Thanks Greg!! Enjoy the "Oldies Night" tonight and tell Scotty not to overdue it (but good luck with that):) !!

I would be a happy camper if I could bring my own dark beer aboard! But I don't think that is likely to happen.

Greg, you HAVE TO go into the Piano Bar for one of the Name That Tune games.

Lido step: I think I asked, not sure you saw it or answered. There are no ramps to the sitting area at all? What happens to people in wheelchairs?

Lido step: I think I asked, not sure you saw it or answered. There are no ramps to the sitting area at all? What happens to people in wheelchairs?
I think Greg is gone for the night, so allow me to answer: he said that the bad step was just at the "forward center" group of tables in the Lido. (The deck plan shows three tables in the center, just above the words Lido Restaurant near the Canaletto.) It's my understanding that all of the usual (Vista) ramps to other tables are still there.

I would be a happy camper if I could bring my own dark beer aboard! But I don't think that is likely to happen.

Greg, you HAVE TO go into the Piano Bar for one of the Name That Tune games.

that's a good question, Oceanwench. I'll be interested in seeing what Greg's response is to it. I'm not the most graceful person on the planet and the ramps make it a little easier to not humiliate myself:o

that's a good question, Oceanwench. I'll be interested in seeing what Greg's response is to it. I'm not the most graceful person on the planet and the ramps make it a little easier to not humiliate myself:o

I know what you mean!!! No one calls me *Grace* either!

That's why I asked for some first-hand information on it.

We were booked on the Eurodam for this fall, but ended up canceling it due to concerns about how accessible it would be. Just as well, I guess!

I know what you mean!!! No one calls me *Grace* either!

That's why I asked for some first-hand information on it.

We were booked on the Eurodam for this fall, but ended up canceling it due to concerns about how accessible it would be. Just as well, I guess!

:confused: You really think HAL just built this magnificent new ship and did not make it accessible?

Sure, they may have made an error in a spot of two that effects a very few tables but does that declare the ship to not be accessible? In this day and age ????

From the photo I saw, the step is a problem for everyone....not just those in wheelchairs but does not effect all of Lido seating by any means.

Greg, thanks for the info on Tamarind.

For the record, if people continue to fall at the rate Greg has observed,(and he can only report on what he has seen) you can be sure they will figure out a way to fix that step. It's not very hard to build a small ramp where they need it.

:confused: You really think HAL just built this magnificent new ship and did not make it accessible?

Sure, they may have made an error in a spot of two that effects a very few tables but does that declare the ship to not be accessible? In this day and age ????

From the photo I saw, the step is a problem for everyone....not just those in wheelchairs but does not effect all of Lido seating by any means.

Yes, Sail, in this day and age there are problems with accessibility.

Down here in Florida, for instance, there was a recent report on inaccessible areas in some of our government buildings! :eek:

I can't tell you how many restaurants we've visited that don't have accessible bathrooms.

I have always praised HAL for its accessibility - particularly the Vista ships, which are newer and have more HC cabins than the older ships. I am one of the biggest cheerleaders ;) when it comes to HAL and its efforts on behalf of people with disabilities.

As far as "this magnificent ship," DH spent hours on the phone and sending e-mails back and forth with HAL folks trying to settle some matters that would affect his cruising on the Eurodam.

Time and again they told him they would not be able to address his concerns at that time, to wait until the launch and try calling again.

Well, we were not about to wait until July to cancel our fall cruise, so we went ahead and made alternate plans.

As far as Greg's photo, Sail, the step is a problem for *everyone* in that it is not expected, or not easy to discern. Should that "problem" be remedied by painting the step a contrasting color, it will still be a "problem" for a person in a wheelchair.

I think Greg is gone for the night, so allow me to answer: he said that the bad step was just at the "forward center" group of tables in the Lido. (The deck plan shows three tables in the center, just above the words Lido Restaurant near the Canaletto.) It's my understanding that all of the usual (Vista) ramps to other tables are still there.

Jim, I looked at the deck plans and know just where that spot is. In fact, it's a place I often see staff and officers eating. A very small area of the Lido and one that can be fixed easily. Bet it's done before this cruise is over.

If the error is only in a spot or two that affects a very few tables, I have no problem.

I am only attempting to verify that with Greg.

While he did comment on the location of the steps that were tripping up him and others, he did not say those steps were limited to that one area.

That is the information I am attempting to solicit.

I have always praised HAL for its accessibility - particularly the Vista ships, which are newer and have more HC cabins than the older ships. I am one of the biggest cheerleaders when it comes to HAL and its efforts on behalf of people with disabilities.

As far as "this magnificent ship," DH spent hours on the phone and sending e-mails back and forth with HAL folks trying to settle some matters that would affect his cruising on the Eurodam.

Time and again they told him they would not be able to address his concerns at that time, to wait until the launch and try calling again.

Well, we were not about to wait until July to cancel our fall cruise, so we went ahead and made alternate plans.

You think there is likelihood Eurodam would be less accessible than all the Vista ships? Hard to imagine but you know better than me.

As far as Greg's photo, Sail, the step is a problem for *everyone* in that it is not expected, or not easy to discern. Should that "problem" be remedied by painting the step a contrasting color, it will still be a "problem" for a person in a wheelchair.

I said in my earlier post that step appears to be a problem for everyone. Whatever their fix for it may or may not make those few tables accessible but truly, there are not that many tables in that area. The whole rest of Lido should be available to those in wheelchairs. Was it a blunder? Yes, it appears they made a mistake. If that is the only mistake they made in that huge ship, what an incredible job! That is not to diminish the importance of it, but mistakes do happen and that seems to be one. I saw on another thread you complimented HAL's accessibility so am surprised you doubted it enough on Eurodam to cancel because you were insecure the ship would be accessible when you say the others are well done in that regard.

If the error is only in a spot or two that affects a very few tables, I have no problem.

I am only attempting to verify that with Greg.

While he did comment on the location of the steps that were tripping up him and others, he did not say those steps were limited to that one area.

That is the information I am attempting to solicit.

Please forgive my spelling error. Sorry you felt it necessary to make that the issue. It does rather distract from the point of the conversation.

IMO the thoughts expressed were more important ....... :(

In any case, this is interrupting Greg's thread so......

Over and out.

Jim, I looked at the deck plans and know just where that spot is. In fact, it's a place I often see staff and officers eating. A very small area of the Lido and one that can be fixed easily. Bet it's done before this cruise is over.

Who's Jim? :D :D Yes, I knew precisely where that step is when I read Greg's description.
Don't you think that if it was a widespread problem in the Lido Greg would have said that instead on singling out and describing one particular place? It was clear to me that he was describing an isolated problem.

<<<<From Flam I took the Land and Sea excursion which included a Fjord boat ride back up the Fjord and then down a different water way, where we were regaled with impressive waterfalls and stunning cliff-faces. I managed to get some good photos of the ship from the water as we departed, and I hope to post a few of them on this board tonight or tomorrow. It was a pleasing 2 hour cruise up and along the waterways to where we were let off and boarded a bus for a trip up to a hotel for some coffee and cake and a lovely view of one of the Fjord valleys. Then, it was off for the ship. Truly, a scenic experience.>>>>

Isnot Flamm beautiful, while sailing through the Sognefjord? We did a cruise like that last year and to/from Flamm it was one of the best sailings. That hotel with view was probably Stalheim?

Love to read you reports, enjoy your time on Eurodam!

You think there is likelihood Eurodam would be less accessible than all the Vista ships? Hard to imagine but you know better than me.

Yes, I do know better than you, because I deal with it 24/7/365.

The Eurodam was an unknown. DH is handicapped. He needed reassurances that certain necessities could be met on the Eurodam.

When you have no ability to walk, nor use your left arm/hand, you have to have plan everything out. You need those assurances from the ship's compliance staff.

They told DH they could not give those assurances.

So we canceled.

Believe me, I am a HAL fan and have not sailed on another line in years.

But I know that sometimes cruise lines have faults/issues. They are not perfect.

Archived