"how cruise managers handle a sea of wacky demands"

lynn247

Nice article but typical media preconceived notions about cruising: "How do you pacify the well-heeled cruise ship passenger..." I have to admit that turned me off from the get-go.

pam in ca-i did the same thing when i first read it. looking again i think the well-heeled only applied to the woman who had to book another room for her wardrobe. the rest of the people may be poor-heeled (or no-heeled) like me!

the best was.....

The Princess' Verde recalls being summoned after a married couple had an onboard argument. "The man refused to get into bed with his wife and wanted us to make up his bed in the bathtub. A mattress wouldn't fit in the tub. We had to use a deck lounge chair and pad."

.....good thing they had a suite with a tub......I couldn't sleep in the shower....:rolleyes:

Nice article but typical media preconceived notions about cruising: "How do you pacify the well-heeled cruise ship passenger..." I have to admit that turned me off from the get-go.

That is the way a good portion or the world thinks people who cruise are .. I never let it bother me anymore .. someone says How Can you afford to cruise so much .. I just say .. price out your vacation and mine and tell me who has the better deal.

I thought the article was hilarious.. Could you please turn the ship .. the sun isn't quite right for my tanning regime ..

I was perplexed by the milk thing... how many days are these people at sea that the milk goes bad? At home, even after I open it the milk usually stays fresh for about 9 or 10 days.

If nothing else, perhaps they could try parmalat?

We got a container of sour milk with our room service breakfast order last month on the Caribbean. It had a good date too. I chalked it up to getting the one container that was left off the ice for too long.

After 40 years as an airline purser, I can tell you that those types of requests are pretty common place. It makes for great crew debriefings at our layover hotels. Keep up the good work folks, we need the nut cases to help us keep our sanity in these days of turmoil in the industry.

I am sure these types of requests also help keep the chatter in the crew bar on the ship a lively place to unwind as well.

"let me tell you about the whacko in a344, you are NOT going to believe what she asked me for..........."

We go with the flow. But one can make a list of more "interesting demands" from the reviews and posts on this forum. The one that amused me in a recent review on this forum was the request for 8 more pillows -- there are 6 already in the cabin! And the OP for that review was very upset with the cabin steward because she did not get it immediately. Imagine all of us asking for 8 more pillows. Then one who responded on the same thread was upset at the cabin steward because she had faxed the request for a robe and it was not in her cabin. Again she blamed the cabin steward and was upset that she had to make a second request after boarding! So forget about the article and make a list of "demands" (or write an article) just from the demands on this forum!

We go with the flow. But one can make a list of more "interesting demands" from the reviews and posts on this forum. The one that amused me in a recent review on this forum was the request for 8 more pillows -- there are 6 already in the cabin! And the OP for that review was very upset with the cabin steward because she did not get it immediately. Imagine all of us asking for 8 more pillows. Then one who responded on the same thread was upset at the cabin steward because she had faxed the request for a robe and it was not in her cabin. Again she blamed the cabin steward and was upset that she had to make a second request after boarding! So forget about the article and make a list of "demands" (or write an article) just from the demands on this forum!

i thought the same thing! what does one need 8 pillows for? and the robe thing...poor steward.

i thought the same thing! what does one need 8 pillows for? and the robe thing...poor steward.

Actually I need extra pillows when away from home and my electric bed.

Acid Reflux problems......One cannot manage with 3 pillows,one has to stay high on the pillows.I would love to go back to the days were I could lay down flat again.:)

Maybe there was a medical reason for the request.

OMG, that's too funny! Thanks for the laugh.

I remember on one of our cruises a man had taken his g/f on a cruise in a suite. Well, mid-week they have a big fight and broke up. The ship arranged for the man to have another cabin and the lady stayed in the suite. :eek:

Archived