$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

Well, I'm sorry to hear that RC has chosen to go this route to increase revenue. However, not being a huge steak lover, it will be no big issue for me to just avoid ordering this item. What will interest me is seeing if they extend this to other ships and to other aspects of cruising and dining. If it ever does reach the point where I will have to pay for dinner in the dining room, I might still cruise- but would eat in the dining room less- not only on the ship, but if I am in port I'd be more likely to eat off the ship.

I don't really view cruising as a "value" vacation, although I do enjoy it. For my family, we are tied to a school schedule, so have to travel during peak periods. When I went on my first RC cruise this summer, it was on the Grandeur out of Norfolk- we did not pay bargain rates, but we did enjoy the trip very much. For me, vacations are not about saving money- but one of the enjoyable aspects of a cruise is the ability to have choices that are already covered in the fare. If this steak thing becomes a trend, and the dining room becomes more like a restaurant, that will decrease the carefree feeling of cruising that for me is so much a part of the pleasure of cruising.

Yes, steak is being charge for $14.95 inside the dinning room. Also cappucino and latte. I was there on Freedom Of The Sea, Western, 8/31-9/7, 2008

Cappucino and latte have been pay as you go for years, as long as I can remember.

I just love all of the information one can get from reading this thread. :rolleyes: Why is it ok to charge $6.95 for a loving cup shooter, or a cappucino, or a coke for a fee, or a cocktail, or wine and beer, but not anything else. I remember the uproar in this forum when they started charging for soda, despite most of the other lines were already doing this. I remember a certain poster on this thread threatened to boycott because they decided to charge for Johnny Rockets, and here he has already cancelled a cruise because of this change. I am of the opinion that everyone wants the cruiseline to make money, but nobody wants any of that additional revenue to come from the things they like. :rolleyes: It is their damned company and how many times have I been told they make the rules and if you don't like it don't cruise their ships. What is the difference?

I am ambivalent about this change, I like being able to get a really good steak if I want it, I don't like not being able to get a steak on certain nights if I don't want to pay for it. That being said, I have never ordered the alternative menu item on any cruise. I almost always ask my waiter what is the best item on the menu and if I am skeptical I will also order a secondary choice if I find out that I didn't like it. 98% of the time the recommendation is spot on and I have a very nice meal. I would love to have a 5 star meal every evening because I am a foodie. However, when you are paying about a $100 a night per person on a ship like the Independence of the Seas, my next cruise for an aft corner balcony, I really don't think that a rational person could call that over charging, a nickle and dime ripoff, scam, or lie, like a recent poster ranted about. To me that is simply unfair, and unreasoned. So, I am sure someone will call me a toady for Fain or Kool-aid consumer. Whatever.:rolleyes: In the meantime keep up the juvenile crusade it is quite entertaining to read on a Saturday morning before I go cut the grass.:p

jc

From the article:

"This is the first foray into examining the trend that we find right now in culinary culture about all natural foods. People are more conscious about how food is prepared and how food is raised. We want to really see if there is a demand. If there are a significant amount of people that say, 'Hey I would want to have an all natural alternative selection on my cruise,' we would institute that."

I believe I alluded to this a few days ago here and no one took the bait or even wanted to consider this possible scenario...

Heck, no one even bothered to accuse me of being an RC Marketing Exec....:rolleyes: THAT suprised me!

For all the "Never, Impossible, Couldn't be!" folks out there, re Melissa's update on the Great Steak Debate of '08 - she noted that Mr. Liu of RCCL has acknowledged that the previously available steak alternative no longer appears on the MDR menu.

The key word here being appears... I can acknowledge that it may not be represented on the menu...

from the article (bolding is mine):

Indeed, Liu points out, "The Black Angus sirloin, which is a free selection as part of the standard dinner menu, doesn't seem to be represented in this menu. There is a prime rib option on this menu, and the sirloin is not present because beef is already represented. I am told that guests can still request the sirloin if they wish."

How, if the item is not displayed on the menu, is a cruise traveler supposed to know that it is available and that they may order it? Liu says that paring down the printed selections, even though the kitchen is prepared to offer a sirloin every night of the cruise, was an executive decision made to make the menu appear more balanced, with different types of food (fish, chicken, beef, etc.) offered equally.

When asked if anything is being done to change the menu to make it less confusing for cruise travelers who may not know to ask for the sirloin, Liu responded: "We've gotten a lot of guest calls asking about this. It's something we've heard and it's being addressed."

What this tells me is that their roll-out of this change was not well-planned with regards to the communication aspect to customers... businesses frequently have this problem... where they try to roll-out something new but details slip through the cracks...

Take the Nintendo Wii... tremendous demand for the product without consideration for the lengthy manufacturing of the item...

Apple has frequently had problems with this sort of thing... so has Microsoft...

I chalk it up to an inexperienced Marketing Exec. not having all his ducks in a row... it's not unforgiveable, it's human nature...

All of us work in industries where something doesn't go according to plan or things don't happen as smoothly as they should... (look at the banking industry today...:eek: ) The difference is that not all of our industries are closely monitored and scrutinized by web forums... with people ready to pounce on our every mistake... be grateful you don't work in that sort of industry... it's a tough job...

I have faith that someone in Miami is getting their butt chewed for the poor roll-out of this trial phase... :) and is being expected to work quickly to rectify the communication problem...

I'm ambivalent about this change as well. I tried it once, and I was not impressed. My experience could've been a one-off deal, or not. I don't know. I do know that the next "Chops" steak I eat will be in Chops Grille. I surely won't be canceling any cruises just because RCCL is trying something different.

I would recommend that they not offer the same cut of steak on the regular menu that they are offering for the Chops option which is exactly what happened on the night I tried it. New York Strips for both.....

The key word here being appears... I can acknowledge that it may not be represented on the menu...

from the article (bolding is mine):

Indeed, Liu points out, "The Black Angus sirloin, which is a free selection as part of the standard dinner menu, doesn't seem to be represented in this menu. There is a prime rib option on this menu, and the sirloin is not present because beef is already represented. I am told that guests can still request the sirloin if they wish."

How, if the item is not displayed on the menu, is a cruise traveler supposed to know that it is available and that they may order it? Liu says that paring down the printed selections, even though the kitchen is prepared to offer a sirloin every night of the cruise, was an executive decision made to make the menu appear more balanced, with different types of food (fish, chicken, beef, etc.) offered equally.

When asked if anything is being done to change the menu to make it less confusing for cruise travelers who may not know to ask for the sirloin, Liu responded: "We've gotten a lot of guest calls asking about this. It's something we've heard and it's being addressed."

What this tells me is that their roll-out of this change was not well-planned with regards to the communication aspect to customers... businesses frequently have this problem... where they try to roll-out something new but details slip through the cracks...

Take the Nintendo Wii... tremendous demand for the product without consideration for the lengthy manufacturing of the item...

Apple has frequently had problems with this sort of thing... so has Microsoft...

I chalk it up to an inexperienced Marketing Exec. not having all his ducks in a row... it's not unforgiveable, it's human nature...

All of us work in industries where something doesn't go according to plan or things don't happen as smoothly as they should... (look at the banking industry today...:eek: ) The difference is that not all of our industries are closely monitored and scrutinized by web forums... with people ready to pounce on our every mistake... be grateful you don't work in that sort of industry... it's a tough job...

I have faith that someone in Miami is getting their butt chewed for the poor roll-out of this trial phase... :) and is being expected to work quickly to rectify the communication problem...

My point is that when I first mentioned in a recent FOS review (the catalyst for this whole steak debate), that the dinner menu in the MDR offered steak for $14.95, the first responses were that either I was making the whole thing up or I had mistaken a bar bill as a bill for steak. In other words, I was either a liar or a fool. Now, RCCL's rep has, in fact, confirmed that the alternative steak which had previously been a menu offering does not appear on the menu at all.

I couldn't agree more that the whole matter was poorly thought out (IF thought out at all!) and was poorly handled, right down to identifying the steak as organic which we have learned it is not, and identifying it as a Chops steak which we have likewise learned it is not. You (not you specifically) can rationalize and make excuses as much as you wish, but in RCCL's haste to offer choices (aka find a new source of onboard revenue), it has shown that it has not been entirely above board with its pax.

My point is that when I first mentioned in a recent FOS review (the catalyst for this whole steak debate), that the dinner menu in the MDR offered steak for $14.95, the first responses were that either I was making the whole thing up or I had mistaken a bar bill as a bill for steak. In other words, I was either a liar or a fool. Now, RCCL's rep has, in fact, confirmed that the alternative steak which had previously been a menu offering does not appear on the menu at all.

I couldn't agree more that the whole matter was poorly thought out (IF thought out at all!) and was poorly handled, right down to identifying the steak as organic which we have learned it is not, and identifying it as a Chops steak which we have likewise learned it is not. You (not you specifically) can rationalize and make excuses as much as you wish, but in RCCL's haste to offer choices (aka find a new source of onboard revenue), it has shown that it has not been entirely above board with its pax.

hopefully now you will get over it! there wasn't nearly that much drama, anyway!

hopefully now you will get over it! there wasn't nearly that much drama, anyway!

Any drama in this thread has been brought to you by those willing to defend a cruise line with their lives, those crying, "The sky is falling. The sky is falling" and those threatening to boycott a cruise line over a piece of meat. As far as getting "over it" is concerned, no worries here as there's nothing at all to get over. You can now feel free to direct your sarcasm elsewhere.

The $14.95 steak topic has now made the Life Section of the USA Today, Friday, Saturday, Sunday edition. They question whether the long-held practice of ordering whatever you want from the MDR at no extra charge may be coming to an end.

Not a bad thing as another poster pointed out.

Parents with kids may not get an opportunity to go to a specialty with the kids in tow. This way they can still have an "upscale" meal and not have to get a sitter and spend two hours in Chops.

The $14.95 steak topic has now made the Life Section of the USA Today, Friday, Saturday, Sunday edition. They question whether the long-held practice of ordering whatever you want from the MDR at no extra charge may be coming to an end.

What's this? Actually have the TRUTH come out for people to see? Eek, say it's not so ... otherwise, Fain's Flunkies will be spitting up their cornflakes this morning!! :eek: :eek:

Because remember, there was NOTHING here to talk about. Throughout the course of this thread, you'll see RCL defenders proclaiming alternately that:

- There was not upcharge steak.

- The regular alternative steak was still on the menu.

- OK, maybe that alternative steak isn't still on the menu; but you can still order it. (maybe if you give the secret password, you could even have some hollandaise sauce on the side) :)

- This was all about "a new choice," nothing to bother talking about.

- The whole topic was made up by people just attacking RCL.

- This was an utterly harmless trial on just a couple of ships. Nothing worth mentioning.

- This was just RCL trying to recover costs from MDR customers demanding free Chops steaks. (Hey, fredmdcruisers -- we're still waiting for the original post on that one!)

- The new steak is an organic, healthy alternative.

- This entire controversy is the fault of union organizers and public employees! :rolleyes:

Every point the apologists have tried has been a failure. :(

It's a KoolAidKarnival, gang! And the ducking, dodging and blue smoke are still going strong.

Bottom line: RCL is trying to squeeze Oasis financing out of YOUR cruise experience. If that's OK by you, hey - pay extra. (Real Fain loyalists might even want to send him a check; no, it's not tax-deductible, but it might make y'all feel better!)

For the rest of CC members -- rational consumers -- this $15 steak scam is a clear sign of bad news on the horizon. And a great opportunity to try to get RCL to change course BEFORE we get there!!

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam

Say NO to Fain

......I chalk it up to an inexperienced Marketing Exec. not having all his ducks in a row... it's not unforgiveable, it's human nature...

Probably the same inexperienced Marketing Exec that handled the super smooth roll out of RCI's Immersion Cruises.:rolleyes:

Simple solution...do not believe everything you read! RCCL has made errors before only to have to retract the information when it hit the CC boards and they were roasted.

Right now the same situation is going on with the reason why Tortola was dropped from the 11/9 and 11/30 sailings and replaced with an additional sea day. "The pier isn't ready. The pier was damaged. The Explorer is too big to fit at the dock." However, other cruise lines continue to call at Tortola. And less we forget, the rising cost of the fuel to sail to an additional port!

Sound familiar.

MARAPRINCE

Has anyone heard from a vegetarian about this topic?...we need to keep this thread going for another 50 pages or so.:)

50 pages.........will not pay for the Whale of the Seas...........it's got to be over 200 pages.............and will over 500,000 views!!

That will equate to just over 2 views per ton.

As sad........or not so sad..........as this thread is about change..........I do hope that the entertainment will continue

EHC...........is eloquent about some of the qualities that are lacking today on RCCL...............and he has the charm and wit to put all of this forward in a manner that I certainly have enjoyed.

Unfortunately.........he tripped on his toes on some of his statements.......

but he continues to be the life of the party!! Keep it up Don.

Rick

Why is it that some people - like yourself - easily grasp this very straightfoward concept, while others continue babbling on about "choice"? It's astonishing. Truly, I begin to wonder if some posters aren't actually on RCL's payroll.:confused:

The $14.95 steak is the precise opposite of choice, and it's a clear signal of RCL's approaching assault on the value of cruising. Let's review:

BEFORE - If you wanted steak, you had a choice when you could either:

A: enjoy the steak in the dining room that YOU'D ALREADY PAID FOR through your fare .. or

B: if you really needed better, you could fork over still more cash and buy a Chops-grade steak.

NOW - If you want steak, you can:

A: fork over still more and buy a Chops-grade steak.

So ... BEFORE you had two choices. NOW you have one.

And ... one is less than two.

Therefore, if we connect the dots, we see .... the new system is not about adding choices! It's not an improvement, it's a rip-off.

Then don't eat the steak. There are many other selections offered on the menu such as pasta, veal, chicken, salmon, etc. Just because you paid for a cruise does not mean that you are entitled to have everything that you want offered at every meal.

No I'm not an RCI cheerleader but I do have a question; Why is it that when something new is introduced that people automatically assume the company is trying to alienate it's customers and is just out to make money? Is it possible they are offering this to people that would like a Chops-type meal, but cannot afford the $20 cover charge?

Or, is it also possible they have received feedback that some passengers would like to dine at Chops but not everyone in the party likes steak? For example; I don't eat red meat but my husband does. So there could be a dilemna for us if he was in the mood for steak. By offering it in the dining room, more people are satisfied. And by the way, we visit Chops and Portofino's at least once when we cruise RCI. I never have a hard time finding something to eat.

Let's agree to disagree on the whole choice issue. I believe this is about change and some people see it as a bad thing. RCI has every right to add or take away items on the menu.

I'm envisioning the next thread when someone complains that they can no longer order 2-3 of everything on the menu.

Then don't eat the steak. There are many other selections offered on the menu such as pasta, veal, chicken, salmon, etc. Just because you paid for a cruise does not mean that you are entitled to have everything that you want offered at every meal.

No I'm not an RCI cheerleader but I do have a question; Why is it that when something new is introduced that people automatically assume the company is trying to alienate it's customers and is just out to make money? Is it possible they are offering this to people that would like a Chops-type meal, but cannot afford the $20 cover charge? Or, is it also possible they have received feedback that some passengers would like to dine at Chops but not everyone in the party likes steak? For example; I don't eat red meat but my husband does. So there could be a dilemna for us if he was in the mood for steak. By offering it in the dining room, more people are satisfied. And by the way, we visit Chops and Portofino's at least once when we cruise RCI. I never have a hard time finding something to eat.

Let's agree to disagree on the whole choice issue. I believe this is about change and some people see it as a bad thing. RCI has every right to add or take away items on the menu.

I'm envisioning the next thread when someone complains that they can no longer order 2-3 of everything on the menu.

Are you serious? The difference between $20.00 (though I think the charge is actually $25.00) and the $15.00 steak is $5.00. I think that if you can afford the stead you can probably afford to go to Chops.

No I'm not an RCI cheerleader but I do have a question; Why is it that when something new is introduced that people automatically assume the company is trying to alienate it's customers and is just out to make money? Is it possible they are offering this to people that would like a Chops-type meal, but cannot afford the $20 cover charge?

Or, is it also possible they have received feedback that some passengers would like to dine at Chops but not everyone in the party likes steak? For example; I don't eat red meat but my husband does. So there could be a dilemna for us if he was in the mood for steak. By offering it in the dining room, more people are satisfied. And by the way, we visit Chops and Portofino's at least once when we cruise RCI. I never have a hard time finding something to eat.

More like :

I'm envisioning the next thread when someone complains that they can no longer ORDER ANY ENTREE IN THE MDR, WITHOUT A FEE!

Archived