Latest Glimpse of Solstice...here!

editor@cruisecritic

I have to admit that I tried and tried to have the patience to view this video last night when my Mac said no, no, no, and today at work when the counter came up and said 34 minutes (a lot of buffering off and on too) and I said no, no. no.:rolleyes:

I can only say at this moment from all the things I have seen that I do not like at all the architectural supports that look like floor to ceiling angular half wings in the main dining room.

I can't get past how obtrusive they are, and how they impact the fung sui of this entire room. People think its the Art Deco-Platinum Blonde-Ruby Red Lips needed style that's the problem, I imagine how perfect it would look with traditional columns and a few table cloths. So this support beam was a real miss for me.

And I think its been a subliminal deal breaker for others too.

Yes, the grass is a strange idea. I like it though... the only problem will be, like the other poster pointed out, is if they don't allow you on it. With so many people, I am just hoping it holds up week after week... I do like the concept, just wonder if it will be roped off and only available to the bocca balls and the putting??

The idea of a grass area on a ship has already occurred on The World Residensea. It is used as an area for golfing related activities. They have already conquered issues for upkeep etc in a worldwide environment, so Celebrity ought to have a short learning curve to keep it fresh and lively.

some people are going to love this ship, others not so much. celebrity always had a very classic style. they left out the neon lights, the bright colors, and the "cheapness" that's sometimes found on other ships. they've experiemented this time around, obviously taking a big risk. they are trying to appeal to a totally different demographic. i am a 23 year old girl from new jersey and have been on my fair share of cruises. mostly celebrity, and i admit i enjoyed the classic and refined ambiance, the polished service that was evident and obvious between lines like celebrity and royal caribbean. i always felt more at home on celebrity. maybe that's because i first really fell in love with cruising on a celebrity ship, or maybe because celebrity was unique.

they have gone a completely different route with this ship, making her the most modern, and in my personal opinion, unique ship at sea today. some of the elder veteren cruisers here would turn their noses up at her stylish and trendy designs. celebrity hinted at trendy decor in their M-Class ships, but they have gone all out with ms. solstice here. she screams "modern" inside and out. i think they have realized this, hence the new lawn patio and hot glass show to appeal to their faithful regulars as something new, but still something that only a company like celebrity would offer. they have refrained from adding things like rock climbing walls and rccl's flow rider among other things in order to keep their customer, but they are changing. solstice's designs are that of which you may find in a trendy restaurant in new york city. anyone else see that? i for one LOVE new york and try to go there as much as i can, and while this ship will no doubt be different than any i have ever cruised on, i can rest assured that i will like her because i can compare her to something else i love.

the "columns" in the dining room remind me of a specific restaurant in manhattan. the trend of white and light colors that you see everywhere on this ship reminds me of restaurants like morimoto in new york, as well as pod in philadelphia. it's just a totally different type of style, and some will adapt well, others not so much.

however, if you have never experienced places like the ones i have mentioned, i encourage you to keep an open mind and give her a chance. the places i named are truly interesting and cool places to be. i anticipate the solstice's styling to be more appealing to a younger crowd, but that's not to say those who love the "classic" ships won't love her too.

people can gripe however much they want about something they don't like on the solstice, but in the end it's not fair to say the whole ship is shot (or a "deal breaker" as some have said) because of one decor detail you don't like. solstice will obviously pride herself in variety, with cabins, public places, and dining options. take advantage of them.

The idea of a grass area on a ship has already occurred on The World Residensea. It is used as an area for golfing related activities. They have already conquered issues for upkeep etc in a worldwide environment, so Celebrity ought to have a short learning curve to keep it fresh and lively.

True true... but the World doesn't have almost 3000 people tracking all over it every week after week. That ships never even sails full. (wish I had a condo onboard):) It does look nice though, and I can't wait to play bocce...

Did you see all the pictures that the CruiseCritic posted at the top of this thread??? I still do NOT understand the connecting door thing. I understand the description, but I can't understand anything from the pictures?? It sounds like it takes up precious cabin room??

I love looking at the pictures!!! I think she is looking great! Yeah, I don't like everything about it, but I don't expect to. Most of it looks very nice! I love the wine tasting bar. I think I will forward my mail there.:D

Did any of you notice the following from the "Restaurants" Section in today's articles on Solstice:

"Alas, Blu, the restaurant next door that is geared to inhabitants of the AquaClass cabins and will feature Mediterranean/Californian cuisine, got the supportive bulkhead instead -- and it does stick out in the middle of the room. To lighten it up, Celebrity created a colorful scheme of circles painted in primary colors. In other cases, holes (the ones that look like they are black) actually are cavernous and empty -- and light and sound travel through these."

There is a picture of the bulkhead provided.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=749

In the non-suite staterooms, it looks like the closet opens into the stateroom vs. the entry hall on M class. That looks good to me but has the amount of closet and drawer space been compromised to allow for more bathroom space? Are there still drawers in the closets? Storage space above the bed will hardly replace convenient drawers for clothes. The rooms are only 4 sq. ft. larger than M class - is that all in the bathroom?

Does anyone know which staterooms have the sofa area close to the balcony and which have the sofa area closer to the bathrooms? It is true that all categories have both floorplans, isn't it? Last time I called Captain's Club, they had no idea, making it impossible to reserve a specific layout (for those of us who are fussy about such things).

On the stateroom decks, are the hallways wide enough to accomodate walkers-by and cabin doors opening (outward) at the same time? What about wheelchair and scooter guests rolling by with doors opening?

Thanks, Carolyn

I have to admit that I tried and tried to have the patience to view this video last night when my Mac said no, no, no, and today at work when the counter came up and said 34 minutes (a lot of buffering off and on too) and I said no, no. no.:rolleyes:

Sorry guys! The server is very overloaded.

More then 120 Gigabyte traffic in two days is too much for my private

webserver to give you a smooth video performance.

Best thing is to download the files and watch it offline. No buffering!

In the non-suite staterooms, it looks like the closet opens into the stateroom vs. the entry hall on M class. That looks good to me but has the amount of closet and drawer space been compromised to allow for more bathroom space? Are there still drawers in the closets? Storage space above the bed will hardly replace convenient drawers for clothes. The rooms are only 4 sq. ft. larger than M class - is that all in the bathroom?

Does anyone know which staterooms have the sofa area close to the balcony and which have the sofa area closer to the bathrooms? It is true that all categories have both floorplans, isn't it? Last time I called Captain's Club, they had no idea, making it impossible to reserve a specific layout (for those of us who are fussy about such things).

On the stateroom decks, are the hallways wide enough to accomodate walkers-by and cabin doors opening (outward) at the same time? What about wheelchair and scooter guests rolling by with doors opening?

Thanks, Carolyn

Carolyn, I too feel a little uneasy with Cabin doors opening into the hallway. I hope I don't knock over someone when I go to leave. Actually these cabins are the size just about of the CC cabins on M class ships. Other balconies on these ships are just 170 sq. ft. So I figure some people will get bigger cabins and others will see no difference in size.

Pat

Sorry guys! The server is very overloaded.

More then 120 Gigabyte traffic in two days is too much for my private

webserver to give you a smooth video performance.

Best thing is to download the files and watch it offline. No buffering!

I will give that a try!!! Thanks:)

I am trying to find the pictures of the doors that some are speaking of...will you point me in the right direction?

Yes, yes, yes, I love the smoke stacks lit up at night....who needs the X when you've got these!!!

As for the finishes, Cruising the Waves, I happen to like them. I think they are interesting, yet in many areas they do not draw one in with warmth. I think that is the consensus. I work all day long with architects and designers, and trend styling or branding as you speak of is one thing, this ship has to be in use for 15 years, and liked for no other reason than its interiors for that length of time.

As for the supports, they need to be there to support the structure just as columns do, but the design detail of these detract from the room rather than complement it. That's a mistake. I am not certain that once the rooms gets dressed with linens and service that this effect will be softened. I've seen a variety of photos and its a detail that is quite noticeable. The devil, as they say, is in the details. But they've got a few more chances with Lessons Learned to get it right as they build the other ships.

As for the finishes, Cruising the Waves, I happen to like them. I think they are interesting, yet in many areas they do not draw one in with warmth. I think that is the consensus. I work all day long with architects and designers, and trend styling or branding as you speak of is one thing, this ship has to be in use for 15 years, and liked for no other reason than its interiors for that length of time.

As for the supports, they need to be there to support the structure just as columns do, but the design detail of these detract from the room rather than complement it. That's a mistake. I am not certain that once the rooms gets dressed with linens and service that this effect will be softened. I've seen a variety of photos and its a detail that is quite noticeable. The devil, as they say, is in the details. But they've got a few more chances with Lessons Learned to get it right as they build the other ships.

true. the solstice seems as if it is going to be their "trial" ship at first. the millennium was designed and they later learned some things had better response than others. ie: the room that was originally geared towards teens was later done-away with on the other M-Class ships. i would not be surprised if the other ships do away with the lawn area and the hot glass show if the response is poor. there are going to be five of these ships afterall, they all should be unique in their own way. not only that but as they are refurbished i bet things will change. i agree with the statement on the columns in the dining room, i don't think they are going to appeal to most people, but i think celebrity may have been trying too hard to go off the drawing board and think out of the box. i too think the dining room would look better with regular columns, but the people at celebrity obviously thought the better idea was "let's try this." remember, they even later painted the M-Class ships the traditional colors to match the rest of their fleet, i wouldn't be surprised if things on this ship later change. if I remember correctly i sailed three of the M-Class ships in the original colors and the constellation once after she was re-painted. i think of the solstice more as an experiment, but at the moment celebrity is reveling in the fact that she is the most talked about ship for 2008 and most of 2009.

I have to admit, after seeing the CruiseCritic photos (thanks for pointing those out) that the staterooms do look larger than they did on the video. ;)

:) I actually like the way the closets are in the room instead of behind the bathroom door, and the stateroom door opening out. There will be no obstructions at all in those entrance foyer. Could be a problem for the hallway, though only half the door would make it to the hall. The other half is recessed back toward the stateroom. The taller drawer storage should be nice and the desk looks longer than those in the CC class on other ships. The bathroom looks really big and that shower looks to be larger than the RCCL shower that I posted earlier. ;)

Now, if it just weren't for those dining room chairs and the seemingly lack of sun space up on deck, we might keep our reservation. A price reduction would also help in that decision. :D I would think that those cabanas would be very, very hot (especially the ones on the pool deck).

Someone pointed out the "adult" splash zone. What makes you think it is for adults only? It's at the main pool, and I feel sure that the area will have children running through it all times.

I will have to show these new photos to DH tonight and re-think this cruise. :rolleyes: We are currently in stateroom 7177 - 2B about one deck up from the lifeboats. I wish I could have a clearer picture of what we will be looking down on. Can someone suggest a better Veranda 1 or 2 class cabin?

Now, if it just weren't for those dining room chairs and the seemingly lack of sun space up on deck, we might keep our reservation.

are those the only two reasons you are re-thinking this ship? i honestly think it will be fine. the chairs on the pool deck will just have to be something we are careful with, if they are going to be as high demand as people think. maybe some people like to sleep in but on cruises i can get up early and get the chair i want. if i am really that tired i can sleep in the deck chair as well as i can sleep in my bed. the dining room chairs look like a tight fit, but no one but the reporters or workers, or other lucky people who have had the chance to be on this ship have had a chance to sit in them. and it didn't seem to me as if the reporter looked or was uncomfortable. these were originally my two concerns, but they're not enough to deter me from sailing this ship. maybe i just love cruising in general and tiny details aren't as important to me.

"Alas, Blu, the restaurant next door that is geared to inhabitants of the AquaClass cabins and will feature Mediterranean/Californian cuisine, got the supportive bulkhead instead -- and it does stick out in the middle of the room. To lighten it up, Celebrity created a colorful scheme of circles painted in primary colors. In other cases, holes (the ones that look like they are black) actually are cavernous and empty -- and light and sound travel through these."

There is a picture of the bulkhead provided.

The bulkhead is shown on the deck plans for Blu -the venu is smaller and has ocean views on one side only. Based on this setup there aren't sweeping views that are obstructed by this wall like there would have been had they put the bulkhead in the Tuscan Grill. And based on the table placement all Blu guests should have views of the ocean. Take a look for yourself:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/ships/deck.do;jsessionid=0000jsv4wZPEBRcWkRMrqf2OoCc:12hdbcuh7?shipCode=SL&deckCode=EN&sailDate=1081121

I for one (as an upcoming AQ pax) am not concerned about this. The unfortunate part is that it appears there were no furnishings yet in Blu so the bulkhead was the most interesting feature!

are those the only two reasons you are re-thinking this ship? i honestly think it will be fine. the chairs on the pool deck will just have to be something we are careful with, if they are going to be as high demand as people think. maybe some people like to sleep in but on cruises i can get up early and get the chair i want. if i am really that tired i can sleep in the deck chair as well as i can sleep in my bed. the dining room chairs look like a tight fit, but no one but the reporters or workers, or other lucky people who have had the chance to be on this ship have had a chance to sit in them. and it didn't seem to me as if the reporter looked or was uncomfortable. these were originally my two concerns, but they're not enough to deter me from sailing this ship. maybe i just love cruising in general and tiny details aren't as important to me.

Being only 23, you probably don't worry about good support for your back, like I have to. I injured it a few years ago, and if I don't sit in a straight back chair (especially when I will be sitting for 2 hours), my back hurts, and legs go numb, etc.. Good posture is important for me, so those slouch back chairs will not work. ;)

As for the deck. I just don't like all the interference that those awnings are going to cause. They will obstruct views, make noise in the wind, and cut off the breeze. Hopefully, there is another large area of lounges where we would be able to sun. We are also early risers, so getting a lounge should not be a problem. getting one in the open, may be. :rolleyes:

And then there is the third reason...the stateroom location. Any recommendations?

^^^ i can understand the back problem. my mother had major back issues a few years ago. she has degenerative arthritis (excuse my spelling, i have no idea how to spell that lol) and every once in a while she has issues. she's sailing the solstice in february though and although she doesn't do the kind of research i do i don't think she'll really have a problem with it. perhaps ask celebrity about the chairs? perhaps they can supply you one with good back support. i am sure you won't be the only one with concerns for back support, especially if it's a medical reason and you need it. they will find a way to accomodate you.

i'm not TOO worried about on deck. i am an 8/9-5er on the deck with the sun. sometimes shade is a good thing and i find i need to get out of the sun for the rest of the day. as far as it being windy and them making noise, maybe they won't so much? who knows. i can see them possibly obstructing views but if there's something i want to see i will take a short little stroll around. i'm not so concerned with what's going on with the pool on the deck below, those little contest thingys they have going on. i may actually prefer to be on the sun deck away from the pool once i see those awnings. i prefer peace, and when i was on the constellation (the last celebrity ship i cruised) i remembered getting up and heading towards the bow of the ship, because it was peaceful. i liked watching us sail through the seas with the wind blowing in my hair. there weren't many people up that way. my favorite time is from 3:30-5pm. less people because they're getting ready for dinner. i always have late seating.

i think with a cabin on deck 7 (is that your deck? don't remember) -- you should be fine. my mom was originally booked for a cabin on deck 6 and i told her to change it because i didn't think she'd like being so close to the lifeboats. i think she switched to deck 7. i got lucky with a cabin on deck 8, 8221, pretty much mid ship. i think i am included in that "indent" some people were trying to avoid because they like being able to look straight down without lifeboat obstruction, but most veranda cabins are in this area and they're hard to avoid. i just booked about 2-3 weeks ago so i didn't have much of a choice. i wouldn't worry so much about the details though. she's a beautiful ship, and she is no doubt one of the most innovative at sea. i for one am excited to sail her because she will be brand new. no wear and tear! :D

My take on the "awning" and (possibly) less sun space around the pool areas: Perhaps =X= is reacting to more and more people being health conscious and aware of the dangers and aging effects of too much sun on the skin. I think maybe less and less people are "baking" themselves for hours on end..... :)

I am jumping out of my skin, as CC 1126 is "MY" CABIN in February !!!! I am so excited to see "my" bed and "my" bathroom that I can hardly stand it !! Thank you, Carolyn !!!! The rest of the photos are great and I've so enjoyed the news footage, the many many photos taken while she did the river transit - aren't people just so nice to take personal time and effort and to make all of this available? It's a lovely world.

Carolyn, one quick question re "my" balcony. Did you think it was any larger than the one to the right (as you looked out to sea) and will we be able to share good balcony space with our best friends who are in 1124 to our left?

THANK YOU !!

Can any one tell me whether standard state rooms or rather deluxe verandah staterooms are equipped with both shower and bath? or is as I suspect just showers, and the baths are saved for the suites. Not that it bothers me greatly, when I holiday in the Med (as we will be) its usually too hot to jump in the tub, but looking at these lovely bathrooms I'm thinking that a leisurely soak might be quite nice.

Fig

Can any one tell me whether standard state rooms or rather deluxe verandah staterooms are equipped with both shower and bath? or is as I suspect just showers, and the baths are saved for the suites. Not that it bothers me greatly, when I holiday in the Med (as we will be) its usually too hot to jump in the tub, but looking at these lovely bathrooms I'm thinking that a leisurely soak might be quite nice.

Fig

You suspect right. Showers only..... :)

I've stated this several times on these boards and I'll state it again. The pool and deck areas are too small for a ship this size!

People!!!, Most of you have been to the ports this ship is headed to several times. The ports are passe and the times in port are strange. You know you'll be staying on board and those pools and the deck area are too small!!!

Reference the "awnings" , mark my words and this was solidified from Carolyn's comments "the "cabanas" have yet to be fitted out".........I predict Celebrity will outfit these with a refrig, and a few ammentities and will....get ready.....charge us to use these. Similar to Mandalay Bay et al in Vegas.

I hope I am wrong but I'm seeing a trend here......

I think it started when I was on Azamara Quest (Celebrity) and while awaiting to be tendered ashore I went to the Coffee Bar (not sure if it was a "Cova" Cafe) 2 iced coffee's with a shot of Bailey's and $24 later .........

Why do you think they are adding all the specialty restaurants?????

LOL, having said all this I am still excited about sailing on this new ship.

But........I'll take any and all "action" betting on whether or not they charge for those "cabanas"!!! You heard it here first!!!! AND, if I am wrong, like a previous poster said, people will be setting their alarm clocks to 4 am to put their paper back and towel on these to "claim them" as their own!!!!

Archived