Alcohol anyone?

PrincessMelody

Hi, Carnival allows each person to bring one bottle of wine on for embarkation. We are cruising out of Honolulu in April. Are there liquor stores close by the port to be able to purchase to take on board or should we bring it from home? We hate to have to pack bottles on our luggage.

If your Carnival cruise departs from the same berths that we have visited on port stops--next to the Aloha Tower--then there are several places within walking distance to buy bottles of wine. The last time I was there (2013) I found wine for sale in the ABC Store right there in the Aloha Tower center. Nothing great, but functional.

If you walk across the boulevard (I think it's Ala Moana Blvd.) and proceed up a couple blocks there is a drug store (Longs? CVS? Rite Aid?) that has a much better selection and, probably, better prices than the Aloha Tower ABC Store. (Also, FWIW, in that same neighborhood there is a Reyn-Spooner store. Reyn-Spooner is my favorite Aloha shirt. They always sell their older styles for 30-50% off. I live in California. Nobody can tell this year's Reyn-Spooner from last year's. I just think they are attractive, well-made, comfortable shirts. And they are easy-care. Take them out of the washing machine, and let them drip dry. No ironing.)

About a mile. or so, from Aloha Tower is the Ala Moana shopping center. There are a couple ABC Stores there that actually have some excellent premium wines. Again, though, remember that the ABC Stores exist for convenience, not price competitiveness.

Have a great cruise.

Hi, Carnival allows each person to bring one bottle of wine on for embarkation. We are cruising out of Honolulu in April. Are there liquor stores close by the port to be able to purchase to take on board or should we bring it from home? We hate to have to pack bottles on our luggage.

For any Aussies reading this or others visiting Australia the rules change when a Carnival ship enters Australian waters. You can't take any alcohol onboard and you can't buy spirits (liquor) by the bottle from room service.

Unfortunately, I think the Aloha Tower may no longer be there or has been restructured.... This happened pretty much at the same time they got rid of the International market.... Ala Moana boulevard is also not within walking distance....

Nina, I would not be surprised if the ABC Store is no longer there. That is why I included the date of my last visit. Is Gordon Biersch still there? On our last visit my wife and I enjoyed a couple glasses of Sauvignon Blanc and a couple orders of Poke on the patio.

When our ship was berthed at Pier 11 (right next to Aloha Tower) I swear I could have hit the boulevard from the bow with a rock. According to this Port Map that boulevard is called Ala Moana Blvd. I agree that if the ship is berthed at Pier 2, then it is a few hundred yards to Ala Moana Blvd., but even that is easily walkable for an able-bodied person.

Here is the thing, though. It is entirely possible that the stretch of boulevard by the port/Aloha Tower is called Nimitz Hwy. There is a name change on that boulevard, and different maps show different names.

Walking across Nimitz Hwy/Ala Moana Blvd. from the Pier 11 area, and continuing a couple blocks away from the port there is an "Outdoor Mall" with such stores as Macy's, U of HI Store, an outdoor farmer's market and a drug store whose name I can't remember. As recently as 2013 I have bought wines and razor blades in that drug store. If it is no longer there, then my bad.

If you meant that Ala Moana shopping center is not within walking distance, then, I have to agree that it is a matter of how much time and energy a person has. If I was all excited about getting on a cruise, and was dropped off at the terminal, I would not be interested in walking to the Ala Moana shopping center, buying one or two bottles of wine, and walking back to the terminal. If a person walked briskly, I would be surprised if that could be done in an hour. However, JM did not ask for "walking distance." So, I was thinking that if he was flying in to Honolulu a day or more prior to his cruise departure, it might be convenient for him. For that matter, of course, if he is coming in a few days prior, and he is staying at a hotel in the Waikiki neighborhood, there are ABC Stores on every corner.

Edited by XBGuy

This has been asked thousands of time on CC. You could have found the answer in less than 1 minute by typing "carry on alcohol policy on princess" into Google.

Message to JMDENVER - I am sure that the OP who posted the original question in 2008 still needs an answer to her question.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

deleted

Edited by donaldsc

Are you going on a Carnival cruise? (I'm not aware of any Princess cruises that start from Honolulu, unless it's a South Pacific one, I guess) There's a Carnival board you can double check to see if their policy is still current (plus the FAQs on the Carnival website) If on a Princess cruise, the wine policy is explained on the Princess website. If you try to bring on alcohol other than wine, it will be taken away upon boarding for the duration of the cruise.

For info on liquor stores (or other stores) near the port, you can ask on the Hawaiian board here, but make sure to state if you're leaving from terminal 2 or 10 (that would make a difference), but you'll be limited to buying wine and soda for use on board.

Thanks so much for all the replies!! Since we are driving to the port, it seems that we could just grab a few bottles while in Ft. Lauderdale and carry them onboard.

Sorry for going a bit off my original question, but I too am interested in possibly bringing my own bottle of wine to dinner and paying the corkage fee...is that allowed? There are a few wines I really enjoy that I haven't found on the Princess wine list. But I certainly don't want to do it if it is not allowed. If not, then could you all give me a few recommendations on some wines that you enjoy and that are a good value from thier wine list? I love a good red, and will definitely try a white as well...as long as it's not to sweet. THANKS SO MUCH!!:)

Yes you can bring your own wine. I can't recommend any I don't drink sorry.

Tony

This has been asked thousands of time on CC. You could have found the answer in less than 1 minute by typing "carry on alcohol policy on princess" into Google.

Message to JMDENVER - I am sure that the OP who posted the original question in 2008 still needs an answer to her question.

DON

OK Don, this was jmdenver's very first post on CC, and he did try to do a search. Let's give him a break.

OK Don, this was jmdenver's very first post on CC, and he did try to do a search. Let's give him a break.

It is a thread from 2008 but I agree we can give the guy a break. Hopefully it won't be his last post or inquiry. I've found CC to be a wonderful fountain of knowledge and I'm sure I've asked my share of questions that made folks shake their heads. :)

The search function on CC is pretty darn poor as I'm sure you know. If he did do a search and found an old thread I'm sure we can forgive him for not noticing the date of origin. Heck, it's pretty easy to miss. I've seen many an old thread revived and then responded to by folks before they realized how old it was.

• 1 month later...

The search function on CC is pretty darn poor as I'm sure you know. If he did do a search and found an old thread I'm sure we can forgive him for not noticing the date of origin. Heck, it's pretty easy to miss. I've seen many an old thread revived and then responded to by folks before they realized how old it was.

Well said, I agree that it is often very difficult to find an answer to the question you are asking. For instance I put "bringing bottles of wine on board at ports of call" into the search and this is one of the threads that came up. So forgive me for asking another question about bringing wine on board, but can you buy a bottle at a port of call and bring it on board, and will there be a corkage fee if we just want to consume it in our cabin?

Note for anyone taking wine onboard: Corkscrews are no longer available in the onboard boutiques, so, if you plan to enjoy wine in your stateroom without having to call room service and be charged for corkage, be sure to pack a corkscrew ;)

Cheers!

Chris

Note that if you forget your corkscrew, the Princess gift shop sells a "Princess" jackknife that has a corkscrew on it, and the way it is made, when the screw is inserted in the cork fully, the casing of the knife allows you to lever the cork out easily. (Don't ask how I found out!) :D

Well said, I agree that it is often very difficult to find an answer to the question you are asking. For instance I put "bringing bottles of wine on board at ports of call" into the search and this is one of the threads that came up. So forgive me for asking another question about bringing wine on board, but can you buy a bottle at a port of call and bring it on board, and will there be a corkage fee if we just want to consume it in our cabin?

No corkage fee on the one bottle per person per cabin but there would be on anything over the one bottle per person. That's what they say but what they do might vary. It seems some people are not charged the corkage fee on bottle over the "free" limit.

No corkage fee on the one bottle per person per cabin but there would be on anything over the one bottle per person. That's what they say but what they do might vary. It seems some people are not charged the corkage fee on bottle over the "free" limit.

Note AZ, that the question was about buying in Ports of Call, not embarkation.

In ports of call, bottles are supposed to be collected at boarding by crew member and returned to you on last night of sailing. I say "supposed to" as sometimes the table is not manned, sometimes the crew member misses it or is busy when you come through, so sometimes it's not collected. It isn't supposed to be brought back to the cabin at all, regardless of what type of alcohol it is....

Aloha Tower is still there and will always be!! Hawaii Pacific College took over the majority of the Aloha Tower center. Gordon Biersch is still there along with Hooters. College kids type of places. Most of the little shops and kiosks are gone.

International Market place reopened last week. Not the same as the old thats for sure. Still has the banyon tree and has music at least on the weekends.

Ships either dock at pier 2 or 10. Walk out to Ala Moana Blvd and catch any bus going towards Waikiki. Stop at Ala Moana. A new foodland farms opened a few days ago and has a very good wine selection.

No corkage fee on the one bottle per person per cabin but there would be on anything over the one bottle per person. That's what they say but what they do might vary. It seems some people are not charged the corkage fee on bottle over the "free" limit.There is policy and then there is actual practice by ship/itinerary. I would expect to pay the corkage at embarkation and for any bottles consumed in a public area, whether paid at embarkation or one of the "no corkage fee" bottles. We have been able to bring wine on board at ports of call including Montevideo, Uruguay; Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; Fuerte Amador, Panama, Toulon, France and Naples, Italy and friends have brought wine on board at Ensenada, Mexico. If you have already brought on board the one bottle of wine per person of drinking age you may be charged corkage when brought on board. If they do not collect corkage then you can drink that bottle in you cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did a 4 day coastal from San Pedro with stops in Catalina and Ensenada. Out of curiosity I asked at the Passenger Services Desk and was told we could bring two additional bottles on board at ports. Ensenada has winery tours that includes a complementary bottle of wine per person and that has been allowed back on board with no corkage.

We were at the Passenger Services desk on the last night after Ensenada and a passenger had brought a bottle of alcohol on board and they were threatening not to give him the bottle. Alcohol is supposed to be held until the last night of the cruise. Since this was the last night of the cruise the Princess staff was afraid he would drink the alcohol he had just brought on board. I didn't quite understand the problem because that "could" happen with any bottle of alcohol returned on the last night [emoji849] I don't know the final resolution because we had something to do. I thought he had purchased a special bottle of Tequila, but I heard him say it was a bottle of Everclear [emoji849][emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On a related note and since we're already discussing bringing alcohol aboard, is there a place in Beijing where we could buy a bottle or two of Jagermeister before boarding the Diamond? What I mean is, do they have liquor store type establishments over in that part of the world?

The easiest way for you to do that would be to buy it at the duty free shop at the airport in the USA before you fly to Beijing.

As for hard alcohol - try www.rumrunnerflasks.com THey work well to discreetly put luggage in your checked bags.

For those with the Amazon tilt and wanting to keep your CC number with as few vendors as possible, I use the ones linked on this page.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/home/packing-list

They also fit well in cargo short pockets since that is something that won't get xrayed going on the ship. We had a woman in our group tape some to the inside of her loose fitting skirt when she boarded, that worked well too.