Debark vs. Disembark

Kerry&LuAnn

According to The Columbia Guide to Standard English, "debark" and "disembark" are synonyms, and both can be either transitive or intransitive, meaning "to take or assist people off a ship or plane" or "to get off a ship or plane." For instance, "The captain debarked [disembarked] several unruly passengers; at the next port the rest of the passengers disembarked [debarked]." Isn't English an odd language? ;)

Just because I'm nerd enough to wonder, I looked them both up in Merriam-Webster online. It looks like both are old terms, with the origin very much tied to ships as opposed to other forms of transportation (not that there were many other vehicles at the time)

Debark:

Etymology:French debarquer, from de- + barque bark (ship)Date:1654

Disembark:

Etymology:Middle French desembarquer, from des- dis- + embarquer to embarkDate:1582

My personal preference is disembark because debark sounds like something you'd do to a tree; and when you get on a ship, we don't say you've "barked".

Isn't English an odd language? ;)

For sure! Don't you think flamable and inflamable should logically be the opposite of each other? How come we drive on parkways, but park on driveways?

My personal preference is disembark because debark sounds like something you'd do to a tree; and when you get on a ship, we don't say you've "barked".

For sure! Don't you think flamable and inflamable should logically be the opposite of each other? How come we drive on parkways, but park on driveways?

And we don't say we've re-barked when we get on board.

And we don't say we've re-barked when we get on board.

Yes, but I've heard upset people "barking", when having already "embarked", Yet were told they were "barking up the wrong tree".

Made me wonder..."Is there ever a right tree to bark up?":rolleyes:

....and what happens after we've barked. I guess we simply disembark, without debarking, saving the tree in the process.:eek:

Sooooo... Again I wonder, "Can you can tell a Dogwood tree by its bark?"

Really am Sorry,:D

Mike

• 8 years later...

I'm dying (laughing) right now! I know this is an old post, but we were just having this discussion. I will forever say that "I have barked" when I get on a ship! Thank you for making my day!

Can't believe someone livened a 9 year old thread but at least it's an interesting one and I learned something new.

Like post #11 I'd thought debark was in itinerary ports and disembark was in final port.

My personal preference is disembark because debark sounds like something you'd do to a tree; and when you get on a ship, we don't say you've "barked"...

But, we say you have "embarked" on a cruise. I like the one person that said "debarked" sounded like something you'd do to a dog so he couldn't bark anymore. I always think of that when I see that word now. :D

Just because I'm nerd enough to wonder, I looked them both up in Merriam-Webster online. It looks like both are old terms, with the origin very much tied to ships as opposed to other forms of transportation (not that there were many other vehicles at the time)

Debark:

Etymology:French debarquer, from de- + barque bark (ship)Date:1654

Disembark:

Etymology:Middle French desembarquer, from des- dis- + embarquer to embarkDate:1582

Yep Garn, you got it right. It is all about about getting on and off a "barque". It is a three (at least) mast ship with square rigs except for the aft rig, which is rigged fore and aft.