Elevator Etiquette

printingchick

I saw the thread about buffet etiquette; what about elevator etiquteet? We were so annoyed on our recent Freedom of the Seas cruise by people who would force themselves into over-crowded elevators, without allowing passengers trying to get OUT of the elevator to exit first. Out before in - right??

I saw the thread about buffet etiquette; what about elevator etiquteet? We were so annoyed on our recent Freedom of the Seas cruise by people who would force themselves into over-crowded elevators, without allowing passengers trying to get OUT of the elevator to exit first. Out before in - right??

Right;)

Yeah, they sure do that! I can't see for the life of me how these people reach the ages that they are without the basic concept of "people get off, THEN people get on." And the ones who insist on crammed into an already crowded elevator? Don't get me started. :D Then, when the overload alarm goes off (and the elevator won't go until somebody gets out), these last arrivals never seem to see that they're the ones who ought to vacate the premises. :rolleyes:

This seems to be par for the course with folks thinking they are entitled to do as they please.

It's no different than somone yielding to a passenger trying to switch lanes on the road.

Some people are truly nice while others don't care about anyone but themselves.

Keith

Strangely enough, the ONLY place I have ever seen this kind of behavior has been on cruise ships (specifically, crowded mass-market cruise ships). I've been in many instances in buildings on land in which there were crowds, and lots of people wanting to use the elevators - but in every case, the people outside the elevator seemed to understand the basic concept that they must wait for those wanting to get off to actually exit, before they begin to cram themselves in.

I would love to find out what it is about cruise ships that seems to result in seemingly normal people not understanding the basic physics, not to mention etiquette, of elevator usage.

Any behavioroligists out there interested in doing a study? ;)

Indeed, people should be allowed off before others get in..

and people on crutches, walkers, in wheelchairs, or otherwise mobility impaired (frail elderly, for example) should be allowed on first. Although if you want to be helpful, you can excuse yourself, step in and hold the door so someone who is a "slow walker" can get in without the door slamming shut on them.

According the elevator etiquette, those waiting to board should stand to the right side of the elevator. The door opens from left to right. Then, those who want to leave have an unobstructed path. Once they've gone, then step in and move back or to the side to make room for others.

If the elevator is full and someone in the rear needs to get out, it's courteous for those in front to move aside or even step out if necessary.

There are so many others on the web....but, it's simply common sense and a little courtesy. Both go a long way.

Parents usually teach their kids these things......but, I guess many don't bother.

Absolutely, people getting on should always set back or to the side so people can get off. Only after everyone has had a chance to get off should someone get on.

I would love to find out what it is about cruise ships that seems to result in seemingly normal people not understanding the basic physics, not to mention etiquette, of elevator usage.

Any behavioroligists out there interested in doing a study? ;)

Hungry for the next meal. :D Just kidding! Maybe too much sugar in their system.

Keith

Hungry for the next meal. :D Just kidding! Maybe too much sugar in their system.

Keith

No....it is because they feel they are more important than you....remember...a lot of people nowadays put themselves first and everyone else is there for them to trod on

No....it is because they feel they are more important than you....remember...a lot of people nowadays put themselves first and everyone else is there for them to trod on

If you read my earlier post you'll see I said what you did.

This time I was trying to add some humor.

I wonder - you would think that elevators are elevators and the rules are the same everywhere.

BUT - when you embark on a large cruise liner you are joining an international population on the ship and the accepted norms are not the same for everything in all countries of the world. Please understand, I am not saying those who are not from the USA are rude; and I would hasten to say that there are plenty of us that ARE rude from the good ole USA. I am simply saying that what we consider obvious and the norm in our country might not be so obvious for someone from another country. Maybe that is why this is more prevalent on cruise ships.

Just a thought.

Funny you say that about your kids Karysa, I am a middle school physical education teacher and I hate to see kids get on the elevator and go up only one or two floors and then run away when they get off.......so they clearly do not have physical issues that would prevent them from taking the stairs. My DH gets mad at me because I actually say something to them about how rude that is.......what can I say even when I am on vacation I am still thinking about the obesity of our children!!

My wheelchair takes up extra space but my wife takes the stairs.I would gladly take the stairs if I could.n There is never a line tyo get on the stairs. My wife tells me they are very nice. They have a lot of brass and hardwoods and nice carpet. She told me they are always clean and inviting. It is one stressor that you have control of. Try them you may like it.

• Administrators

I actually don't think this is a cruise ship phenomenon -- I think it's more associated with venues in which the elevator capacity is too small for the number of people present, so folks will take any available elevator, going up or down, in the hope of eventually getting where they want to go. I've seen it frequently in hotels, especially during holidays/conventions, etc.

That doesn't make it any less rude (or dumb) to shove into a crowded elevator before those getting off on that floor have a chance to do so.

My daddy always taught me three things about riding elevators:

Don't talk to yourself;:cool:

Don't push all the buttons;:o

And don't pass gas!:eek:

He never mentioned any particular order regarding getting on or off.

• Administrators
My daddy always taught me three things about riding elevators:

Don't talk to yourself;:cool:

Don't push all the buttons;:o

And don't pass gas!:eek:

He never mentioned any particular order regarding getting on or off.

LOL. :) It's not about a particular order, actually -- it's more about the logic of it. Why would those waiting to get on shove in and block the doors before those getting OFF have a chance to do so, and make more room for those getting on?

It's just polite to stand back from an arriving elevator to let those getting off do so, before stepping on.

If you read my earlier post you'll see I said what you did.

This time I was trying to add some humor.

sorry...when I wrote that I had been awake about 30 hours and must have seen it and not registered...now I've been up for 40 hours straight...