Elevator Etiquette

printingchick

Concerning elevator etiquette: Miss Manners states that while testing your radio in a elevator you should limit your very loud "can you hear me now" test to only 10 attempts. :rolleyes:

Bob

Excellent advice! Could anyone recommend a walkie talkie that will still get excellent reception on the elevators?:rolleyes:

We have a rule for cruises! We use the stairs the entire time...the only exception is when we take our luggage off at the end of the cruise! Hope we continue to be healthy enough to keep doing the stairs!!

We do the same thing. I figure I spend enough time on the stairs, I can have an extra dessert.

If two people occupy an elevator, and someone in a wheelchair is trying to get on...it would be nice if someone would push the Open button instead of the Close button.

Had this happen to me once when I tried to board an elevator in a wc.

The two women were desperately pushing the button and succeeded in preventing me from boarding.:mad:

If two people occupy an elevator, and someone in a wheelchair is trying to get on...it would be nice if someone would push the Open button instead of the Close button.

Had this happen to me once when I tried to board an elevator in a wc.

The two women were desperately pushing the button and succeeded in preventing me from boarding.:mad:

To be charitable, perhaps they thought they were pushing the Open button, but getting the Close button by mistake. I've done that myself. :o

While it is wonderful to know that chivalry isn't dead, it unfortunately can be very annoying in the elevator.

I understand that you knights in shining armor are halfway standing in the elevator door in order to hold it open for all the women and children exiting the elevator, but once everyone in front of you and to the side of you has exited...please exit yourself. It is so irritating to have to squeeze out from behind you (because i'm a woman and you are being ever so charming and holding the door for me) and then maneuver around you in order for me to exit the elevator before you.

Some even insist on holding the door open AFTER I say " please go ahead sir." Their chests just puff up and they gallantly continue to hold open the door...vexing not only me, but all of the people trying to get on the elevator.

This has yet to happen to me on a cruise ship, but it happens at least 3 times a week on the elevators at work. Maybe this post will prevent it from EVER happening to me on a cruise ship.

Sometimes it's just best to exit in the order you got on. Save the chivalry for a more appropriate time and place and know that all of us women do appreciate it from time to time. ;)

To be charitable, perhaps they thought they were pushing the Open button, but getting the Close button by mistake. I've done that myself. :o

Which is a logical assumption in most cases.

But the scowls on their faces suggested that this was not the case.

Edited by rumpelstiltskin

I may be wrong, but I think that many of these people do not ride elevators of a regular basis. I worked in downtown San Francisco for many years and rode elevators several times a day. In that situation, all the riders knew the etiquette. Here in Tucson, there are few elevators because most buildings are one story. Some here may ride an elevator only once a year, so it is a foreign experience.

Rick

Interesting thought, Rick, You are right about Tucson, only downtown offices or Broadway business centers have taller buildings.

The other thing I hate with elevators is kids running loose. I once saw 3 kids under the age of 9 running in and out of an elevator. Finally the youngest one, about 4 was on the elevator when the doors shut and the elevator left. That child ended up somewhere on the ship without siblings or parents. Of course those were the parents who thought their kids had the right to be in the adults only pool.

As for people waiting outside elevators' date=' my children (who were 3 and 5 the last time we cruised) are acutely aware of this etiquette; however I was horrified by the number of adults who would cut in front of them. When the children would ask why people are "budding" in front of them, I would answer that they were rude or did not understand common courtesy. Rude, possibly, but honest.

[/quote']

We have also starting speaking up when people try to get on before letting people get off. A loudly spoken "Please wait for people to get off." seems to wake them up a bit.

Well said. My son says he's going to write a "common sense" test - if you can't pass it you can't drive a car, get a job, vote (ride an elevator) and the 3 or 4 of us that pass it will rule the world. :)

Somewhere on the internet is an obituary for Mr.Sense. Mr. Common Sense. It covers many areas like this one.

We almost always take the stairs and if my kids complain I just tell them to be grateful that they can take the stairs, and to leave the elevator to those who need it.

Karysa

I agree! We rarely take the elevator on a ship, for just those reasons. I was taken aback on our last cruise when a group of YOUNG MEN filled up an elevator which then did not leave enough room for a trio of elderly ladies to board! They did not even consider getting off and offering to wait for the next one.

We have also starting speaking up when people try to get on before letting people get off. A loudly spoken "Please wait for people to get off." seems to wake them up a bit.

LoL -- Several years ago, we cruised Independence of the Seas with some old friends. One evening, we took the elevator up to the Lido deck for dinner. The elevator opened and a young woman (20-ish) charged in, oblivious to the 6 or 7 of us who wished to disembark at that floor. Our friend, who she nearly knocked to the floor, said: "Young lady, didn't your parents ever tell you to let people off the elevator, before stepping on? Well, obviously not. You're just an example of bad parenting -- rude, rude, rude!" Well, the young lady turned quite red, and another couple who had been on the elevator with us, roared with laughter! :D So -- it's all about "teachable" moments! :cool:

• 1 year later...
I'd have to agree with your husband! Our grandson who's 6 loves to ride on elevators and escalators. We have neither of these things in our small town so for him they're a special treat. I would hate to have his excitement ruined by a busybody.

That's nice for your grandson if he has been taught manners on how to ride an elevator. If he's like too many obnoxious 6-year olds, his excitement is irrelevant and should (and will) be tempered.

Funny you say that about your kids Karysa, I am a middle school physical education teacher and I hate to see kids get on the elevator and go up only one or two floors and then run away when they get off.......so they clearly do not have physical issues that would prevent them from taking the stairs. My DH gets mad at me because I actually say something to them about how rude that is.......what can I say even when I am on vacation I am still thinking about the obesity of our children!!

That's nice for your grandson if he has been taught manners on how to ride an elevator. If he's like too many obnoxious 6-year olds, his excitement is irrelevant and should (and will) be tempered.

I was responding to the above post that implied that children without physical issues should be taking the stairs. Although he is past that stage now, my grandson did enjoy elevator rides very much. Especially glass ones! There weren't any bad manners involved it was just something he enjoyed doing when we got the chance. We didn't go up and down and press all the buttons or anything like that.

I don't think it is appropriate for a stranger to lecture children in a situation where the child's behavior is having no impact on those around them. To me that's a busybody.

Interesting thought, Rick, You are right about Tucson, only downtown offices or Broadway business centers have taller buildings.

The other thing I hate with elevators is kids running loose. I once saw 3 kids under the age of 9 running in and out of an elevator. Finally the youngest one, about 4 was on the elevator when the doors shut and the elevator left. That child ended up somewhere on the ship without siblings or parents. Of course those were the parents who thought their kids had the right to be in the adults only pool.

Just happened to see this. That's not true about Tucson. There are elevators at all the shopping malls, the University of Arizona, and the hospitals to name just a few. There is no reason for anyone living here to not know how an elevator works. That's just silly. It's a lack of commonsense and basic etiquette.

We almost always take the stairs and if my kids complain I just tell them to be grateful that they can take the stairs, and to leave the elevator to those who need it.

Karysa

That's funny...we are kind of the opposite I take the stairs if our destination floor is 3 or less flights up and I always take the stairs down. My kids always take the stairs no matter what (their choice) and they give DH & I a lot of grief if we are going up the elevator because our destination is more than 3 floors up...they usually get to our destination floor before us.

That's funny...we are kind of the opposite I take the stairs if our destination floor is 3 or less flights up and I always take the stairs down.
While I am among those who do exactly the opposite -- stairs up, elevator down.

What I don't get is when someone near the rear of a full elevator wants to get out, why those in the front won't get out, let the person who wants to get off, get out, and then they get back in.