Elevator Etiquette

printingchick

I work in a senior living community, let me tell you it is my biggest pet peeve! My seniors always just get right on, jazzies, wheelchairs and walkers, don't matter they just push their way on. Especially at mealtime. I have gotten so use to it when I am on a cruise I feel right at home...:D:D:D

I worked for a large Hospital group so spent a lot of time waiting on and riding elevators. I'm a fairly big guy and when the door would open I would stand in the doorway and look at the herd trying to jam in and would politely mention that if they don't back-up and let folks off first there is no room for them.

I was responding to the above post that implied that children without physical issues should be taking the stairs. Although he is past that stage now, my grandson did enjoy elevator rides very much. Especially glass ones! There weren't any bad manners involved it was just something he enjoyed doing when we got the chance. We didn't go up and down and press all the buttons or anything like that.

I don't think it is appropriate for a stranger to lecture children in a situation where the child's behavior is having no impact on those around them. To me that's a busybody.

I enjoyed elevator rides as a child as well. Now I loathe them because I can't stand people not understanding there should be no more than 6-8 people in one car. I would agree, yes, there is no justification in lecturing where a lecture is not needed. If the child is polite and courteous, no opinion about his/her actions is relevant. I have found (as one poster noted above) often the rudest people are the elderly, not children. Perhaps they believe as they have lived on this earth 70+ years they have special consideration? Incorrect. Living long is not something for which to be given special consideration. Were that the case, why are trees and tortoises not ruling the world?

Edited by TheSilverShields

LoL -- Several years ago, we cruised Independence of the Seas with some old friends. One evening, we took the elevator up to the Lido deck for dinner. The elevator opened and a young woman (20-ish) charged in, oblivious to the 6 or 7 of us who wished to disembark at that floor. Our friend, who she nearly knocked to the floor, said: "Young lady, didn't your parents ever tell you to let people off the elevator, before stepping on? Well, obviously not. You're just an example of bad parenting -- rude, rude, rude!" Well, the young lady turned quite red, and another couple who had been on the elevator with us, roared with laughter! :D So -- it's all about "teachable" moments! :cool:

Yes, a teachable moment but the way you went about it was also rude, rude, rude.:( A simple, let people off first, is all that's needed.

While I am among those who do exactly the opposite -- stairs up, elevator down.

LOL...I can only do so much:p;). I paid for a relaxing cruise not a work out:D. As it is I already lose a couple of pounds during a cruise because I am definately more active during the day with all the walking and stairs I do take:o.

I enjoyed elevator rides as a child as well. Now I loathe them because I can't stand people not understanding there should be no more than 6-8 people in one car. I would agree, yes, there is no justification in lecturing where a lecture is not needed. If the child is polite and courteous, no opinion about his/her actions is relevant. I have found (as one poster noted above) often the rudest people are the elderly, not children. Perhaps they believe as they have lived on this earth 70+ years they have special consideration? Incorrect. Living long is not something for which to be given special consideration. Were that the case, why are trees and tortoises not ruling the world?

I am not sure where you get the idea that no more than 6 or 8 people should be on an elevator. Elevators have signs indicating the maximum number of passengers and the limit is above 8. I think most are 12 or 15.

I am not sure where you get the idea that no more than 6 or 8 people should be on an elevator. Elevators have signs indicating the maximum number of passengers and the limit is above 8. I think most are 12 or 15.

The maximum number allowed and the number that is comfortable are not always the same...and of course it depends on the elevator, some are smaller than others. Also, as there is a weight limit on elevators, generally speaking, the weight of the contemporary passengers (or girth, regardless of weight) limits comfortable space to 6-8. When I see this many people on board, I do not get on, but take the stairs. If one person waits for an elevator and gets on despite the number, that's one thing. However, unfortunately, groups of 3-4 don't do the same, and just cause further discomfort. People are essentially too lazy to walk up or down a floor.

Edited by TheSilverShields

Guest maddycat
The maximum number allowed and the number that is comfortable are not always the same...and of course it depends on the elevator, some are smaller than others. Also, as there is a weight limit on elevators, generally speaking, the weight of the contemporary passengers (or girth, regardless of weight) limits comfortable space to 6-8. When I see this many people on board, I do not get on, but take the stairs. If one person waits for an elevator and gets on despite the number, that's one thing. However, unfortunately, groups of 3-4 don't do the same, and just cause further discomfort. People are essentially too lazy to walk up or down a floor.

I try to take the stairs whenever possible. I get very nervous on elevators that are overcrowded.

You can't assume people are "lazy" just because they use the elevator for one floor. Not all handicaps are visible.

Sorry, but I don't think it is up to you to determine the capacity of an elevator. I use the steps as much as possible, but will usually use the elevators going up many decks. Especially, when returning to the ship and going up towards the top

Sorry, but I don't think it is up to you to determine the capacity of an elevator. I use the steps as much as possible, but will usually use the elevators going up many decks. Especially, when returning to the ship and going up towards the top

It is up to me in two circumstances: one, when people push and crowd me in a rude manner, and two, simply by me being in the car. That's exactly when it becomes an issue about the overcrowding. I typically use the elevators as well to get up to the top of the ship, but just as often I will walk in order to get their more quickly and comfortably. If people cannot be considerate (beyond the necessity for the handicapped) I will avoid them. It's as simple as that.

You can't assume people are "lazy" just because they use the elevator for one floor. Not all handicaps are visible.

Assumptions are generally made for a reason, and are typically supported by statistical facts. The vast majority of people who take elevators are not handicapped, thus to assume they *need* to take an elevator is a fallacy. The reality is more likely that they are lazy. Some are handicapped, the majority are not.

I worked for a large Hospital group so spent a lot of time waiting on and riding elevators. I'm a fairly big guy and when the door would open I would stand in the doorway and look at the herd trying to jam in and would politely mention that if they don't back-up and let folks off first there is no room for them.

When I don't take the stairs ^^^^

I normally wont use an elevator on a cruise ship. I also dont gain wait on a cruise. ;)

If the child is polite and courteous, no opinion about his/her actions is relevant. I have found (as one poster noted above) often the rudest people are the elderly, not children. Perhaps they believe as they have lived on this earth 70+ years they have special consideration? Incorrect. Living long is not something for which to be given special consideration. Were that the case, why are trees and tortoises not ruling the world?

I would agree with your assessment that some of the rudest people are the elderly. We take a family vacation almost every year. My niece has gotten hurt twice by elderly people on scooters. The first time she was 3. We were waiting in line at the buffet for a sandwich when a lady ran over the back of her ankle, scraping off the skin. I turned around and said "Excuse me, you ran into my niece." And the woman said "Little children don't belong on ships." My niece was not screaming, crying, running around. She was just standing there with me, waiting for a sandwich.

The last time was last year. She was 7. We had just gotten back on ship after an excursion and headed up to the pool. We were ready to get off when a lady on a scooter barged her way into the elevator, and just mowed her over. Her leg got all scraped up, so she cried. The woman didn't say "Excuse me" or "I'm sorry." Later that afternoon, we were back at the pool and the lady scooted by telling her friend "That's the little brat from the elevator" and laughed.

My niece is always accompanied by an adult when she is on the elevators or anywhere on the ship. So she is not just out roaming around getting in the way of others. Both times it was either someone else not paying attention or being malicious to her.

Entitlement is not only an attitude of the young.

I had this very same experience today at CostCo multiple times and with those enormous trolleys added to the equation! grrr rudeness!

First time cruiser in 25 days on NCL Epic. At least I am now prepared for this. Thanks for the heads up haha. How do I not say something? I am prone to forgetting to keep my mouth shut haha.

I avoid this by taking the stairs as much as possible. I will continue to do so until it is necessary for me to ride the elevator. I usually look at the lifts if there is a line, stairs... Then I get to eat a little extra :-). Now lets not start about stair etiquette!

I avoid this by taking the stairs as much as possible. I will continue to do so until it is necessary for me to ride the elevator. I usually look at the lifts if there is a line, stairs... Then I get to eat a little extra :-). Now lets not start about stair etiquette!

I would agree with your assessment that some of the rudest people are the elderly. We take a family vacation almost every year. My niece has gotten hurt twice by elderly people on scooters. The first time she was 3. We were waiting in line at the buffet for a sandwich when a lady ran over the back of her ankle, scraping off the skin. I turned around and said "Excuse me, you ran into my niece." And the woman said "Little children don't belong on ships." My niece was not screaming, crying, running around. She was just standing there with me, waiting for a sandwich.

The last time was last year. She was 7. We had just gotten back on ship after an excursion and headed up to the pool. We were ready to get off when a lady on a scooter barged her way into the elevator, and just mowed her over. Her leg got all scraped up, so she cried. The woman didn't say "Excuse me" or "I'm sorry." Later that afternoon, we were back at the pool and the lady scooted by telling her friend "That's the little brat from the elevator" and laughed.

My niece is always accompanied by an adult when she is on the elevators or anywhere on the ship. So she is not just out roaming around getting in the way of others. Both times it was either someone else not paying attention or being malicious to her.

Entitlement is not only an attitude of the young.

I could not agree more about the entitlement thing, I had a woman in the Windjammer nearly run up my building on Oasis this past March, she just looked at me and went rolling off, I said nothing because I was so angry and not wanting to cause a scene, so I just stared at her really hard. She was driving that thing like a race car driver in there!

I usually take the stairs, which makes the DW crazy, she is always asking why I insist on taking the stairs, and I tell her "because I can" :cool:

Edited by ejd

One more thing is that I've noticed how teenagers late at night go into the glass elevators in the atrium and hang out in them. They go up and down, sit in the floor and just claim that elevator for themselves as their "club house". I guess because of their age, there is nowhere to go at that time... I think cruise ships should enforce the curfew hours. Employees see them and don't do anything about it! The good thing is that at those times there are plenty more elevators to go to. However it will not be until something happens to a teenager in a cruise ship elevator that anybody will care about it!

What a great idea for yet another silly Cruise Critic argument! :)

If cruising in British waters, going up or down the stairs is it considered proper etiquette to pass on the left or on the right?

Now regardless of which side someone claims is the "proper" one, someone else can chime in refusing to do it that way because that is not how it is done in my culture. :D