Elevator Etiquette

printingchick

I would agree with your assessment that some of the rudest people are the elderly. We take a family vacation almost every year. My niece has gotten hurt twice by elderly people on scooters. The first time she was 3. We were waiting in line at the buffet for a sandwich when a lady ran over the back of her ankle, scraping off the skin. I turned around and said "Excuse me, you ran into my niece." And the woman said "Little children don't belong on ships." My niece was not screaming, crying, running around. She was just standing there with me, waiting for a sandwich.

The last time was last year. She was 7. We had just gotten back on ship after an excursion and headed up to the pool. We were ready to get off when a lady on a scooter barged her way into the elevator, and just mowed her over. Her leg got all scraped up, so she cried. The woman didn't say "Excuse me" or "I'm sorry." Later that afternoon, we were back at the pool and the lady scooted by telling her friend "That's the little brat from the elevator" and laughed.

My niece is always accompanied by an adult when she is on the elevators or anywhere on the ship. So she is not just out roaming around getting in the way of others. Both times it was either someone else not paying attention or being malicious to her.

Entitlement is not only an attitude of the young.

That is unbelievable. In the first occasion I would have made some snide comment like "people like you don't belong on this earth." On the second occasion--I'm sure I would be in the 'wrong' for doing so (from a legal standpoint, certainly not from a karma one)--but I honestly think I would tear the old lady out of the scooter and step on her ankle. Then I'd laugh. I hope your niece was ok. Terrible that two cruise vacations in her young life had such negative experiences.

What a great idea for yet another silly Cruise Critic argument! :)

If cruising in British waters, going up or down the stairs is it considered proper etiquette to pass on the left or on the right?

Now regardless of which side someone claims is the "proper" one, someone else can chime in refusing to do it that way because that is not how it is done in my culture. :D

You may laugh but when I walk the promenade deck, particularly on Cunard ships, there are people who seem to want to walk on the left and others walking on the right.... I wonder if that is a British/US thing.

Funny you say that about your kids Karysa, I am a middle school physical education teacher and I hate to see kids get on the elevator and go up only one or two floors and then run away when they get off.......so they clearly do not have physical issues that would prevent them from taking the stairs. My DH gets mad at me because I actually say something to them about how rude that is.......what can I say even when I am on vacation I am still thinking about the obesity of our children!!

The last two cruises DW and I didn't take an elevator for ANY reason till late day 5 or early day 6 and only if it was more than 3 floors. If you can't walk and have the ability walk,,,,, plus we gained only 3 lbs each and got back to normal weight within a week.

Definitely out before in, but I do feel it's ok if someone getting in is to stand at the door (like blocking it from shutting once everyone is off) and then lets everyone getting on in before they get on. It's like opening the door for someone...only no physical labor done. :D

Being as CC is bringing this thread back to life, let me ask this... We may be dealing with cultural differences here. Has anyone ever seen this "poor elevator etiquette" as common in other countries?

Let me add my own elevator story as well... DW and I are waiting for the elevator at dinner time on Independence. Guy with a drink in his hand (and a few more obviously already in him) show up with wife, son and baby in a stroller. Two more elevators come and go and he finally tells people on the third elevator if there are any young people who are able to walk down the stairs to get off and make room for his wife and stroller. Enough people got off that there was enough room for them and him and his son walked down the stairs.

She's fine. It made me a lot madder than it made her (my niece). She asked the second lady "Aren't you going to say I'm sorry?" The lady glared at her. Later she said "I thought grandmas were all supposed to be nice like mine. But it's okay, I love MY grandmas." LOL

I have to agree with the observation that many have expressed here, that you can't always tell by looking, just what a person's mobility issues may be. In the past, DH and I have always tried to take the stairs on ships, to avoid the crowds -- and to get some much-needed exercise. The only exception generally was formal night, when I was (like so many other ladies) limited by my choice of footwear. ;)

However, right before our Equinox cruise last month, I injured my knee in exercise class, and couldn't schedule a doctor's appointment until after the cruise. So, for the whole trip I was hobbling around with a bad knee. Walking and standing were not too bad, but stairs (up or down) were pure torture! :eek: Now, I wasn't in a wheelchair, or using a walker, or wearing a brace. And, since I was trying hard not to limp, someone watching me walk up to the elevator could have easily thought "Well, nothing wrong with her -- why isn't she taking the stairs?" So, you just never know.

Also, where is it mandated that if you're physically fit that you can't take the elevator? Since when are elevators a disabled only conveyance?

I usually do use the stairs if it's only one or two flights up, but I have a variety of physical problems that make it painful to walk up more than one or two flights, although I can do it, if necessary. I'll walk down a bunch of flights rather than wait for an elevator, also, but not in high heels. But, when I feel good, I still have no shame in taking an elevator at any time.

I'm overly apologetic by nature. What I hate is when I automatically say "I'm sorry" or "excuse me" to someone who has clearly just bulldozed over me to get in an elevator, for example, and they just look at me and glare like I was in the wrong.

I do admit, however, that there have been times when I am daydreaming and have commited an elevator sin by accident - walking into an open elevator when others have been waiting for one to show up, for example. I usually snap out of it and realize what I did after one or two floors, then spend the rest of the ride being embarassed for myself and hoping no one saw.

PS: I usually take the stairs on a cruise, so the above rarely happens.

Edited by lredwards

Not sure if this has been stated, but people who get on an elevator just to go up/down 1 floor.

Excluded those with disabilities...USE THE STAIRS!!!

Just got off the Oasis 4/13 sailing and several occasions during peak traffic times people did this (mostly kids, but not all).

One instance, someone actually told the kid to "take the stairs junior!" and the rest of us clapped.

It's amazing how people on vacation forget about reasonable elevator etiquette. We take the stairs most of the time to get some exercise and it's often quicker than waiting for an elevator. Here are my thoughts.

• Take the stairs if you only need to go up or down 1 or 2 decks and are capable of using the stairs.
  • If you're closest to the control panel, press the hold open button while people get on and off.
  • If you're closest to the control panel, ask new riders which deck they would like and press it for them.
  • Try to make room for more riders if you can. Don't artificially make the elevator look full by spreading out
  • If you see somebody trying to get to the elevator, don't try to make the doors close before they get there.
  • Don't jam your arm into the closing doors that are more than half way closed to get it to reopen
  • briefly step out of the elevator if you are standing right in front of the doors and people in the back need to exit.
  • Give kind vocal direction to others that might be oblivious and blocking someone that needs to exit
  • Take special care if you are carrying a hot cup of coffee to make sure you don't spill it on someone else.

Edited by kencruisefever

Not sure if this has been stated, but people who get on an elevator just to go up/down 1 floor.

Excluded those with disabilities...USE THE STAIRS!!!

Just got off the Oasis 4/13 sailing and several occasions during peak traffic times people did this (mostly kids, but not all).

One instance, someone actually told the kid to "take the stairs junior!" and the rest of us clapped.

Wow, really? Now we have the elevator police and they are applauded? How is it anyone's business if someone, even a kid, wants to use the elevator instead of the stairs? It amazes me that you feel you have the right to tell a stranger what they can and cannot do.

Edited by Sea42

I'm overly apologetic by nature. What I hate is when I automatically say "I'm sorry" or "excuse me" to someone who has clearly just bulldozed over me to get in an elevator, for example, and they just look at me and glare like I was in the wrong.

I do admit, however, that there have been times when I am daydreaming and have commited an elevator sin by accident - walking into an open elevator when others have been waiting for one to show up, for example. I usually snap out of it and realize what I did after one or two floors, then spend the rest of the ride being embarassed for myself and hoping no one saw.

PS: I usually take the stairs on a cruise, so the above rarely happens.

I had to look at your location to see whether you were Canadian! LOL

(overly apologetic-wise). We Canadians have a "bad"reputation!

Wow, really? Now we have the elevator police and they are applauded? How is it anyone's business if someone, even a kid, wants to use the elevator instead of the stairs? It amazes me that you feel you have the right to tell a stranger what they can and cannot do.

What's rather ironic about their post is, someone could say to them, "take the stairs, junior".:D

Your point sounds valid, certainly. But the other poster's point is equally valid. It is not about telling a stranger what they can or cannot do. But anyone can certainly do their best to discredit someone so rude, lazy, and inconsiderate to waste everyone's time with taking an elevator for one floor. Lazy people are hardly any different from stupid people. And strangers or not, if one is stupid, I will call them on it every time. Since I'm banned by law not to throw them overboard (what a wonderful word where such petty rules did not exist), I will simply growl and criticize them. And it amazes me people feel I DON'T have that right.

She's fine. It made me a lot madder than it made her (my niece). She asked the second lady "Aren't you going to say I'm sorry?" The lady glared at her. Later she said "I thought grandmas were all supposed to be nice like mine. But it's okay, I love MY grandmas." LOL

Nice! Hopefully the old lady felt bad about herself. There's no better feeling in the world than making someone else feel justifiably bad about themselves.

Your point sounds valid, certainly. But the other poster's point is equally valid. It is not about telling a stranger what they can or cannot do. But anyone can certainly do their best to discredit someone so rude, lazy, and inconsiderate to waste everyone's time with taking an elevator for one floor. Lazy people are hardly any different from stupid people. And strangers or not, if one is stupid, I will call them on it every time. Since I'm banned by law not to throw them overboard (what a wonderful word where such petty rules did not exist), I will simply growl and criticize them. And it amazes me people feel I DON'T have that right.

So you're capable of looking at a stranger, including a child, and immediately know they have no physical disability or illness and thus are perfectly able to walk the stairs? Wow....

Your point sounds valid, certainly. But the other poster's point is equally valid. It is not about telling a stranger what they can or cannot do. But anyone can certainly do their best to discredit someone so rude, lazy, and inconsiderate to waste everyone's time with taking an elevator for one floor. Lazy people are hardly any different from stupid people. And strangers or not, if one is stupid, I will call them on it every time. Since I'm banned by law not to throw them overboard (what a wonderful word where such petty rules did not exist), I will simply growl and criticize them. And it

amazes me people feel I DON'T have that right.

Nice! Hopefully the old lady felt bad about herself. There's no better feeling in the world than making someone else feel justifiably bad about themselves.

Everyone needs a hobby, I suppose. Taking such joy in making others feel bad about themselves (justifiably, of course) must make your task very rewarding. How delightful it must be to travel with you!

Everyone needs a hobby, I suppose. Taking such joy in making others feel bad about themselves (justifiably, of course) must make your task very rewarding. How delightful it must be to travel with you!

Well said. Seems to me SS is as bad as the person he or she is criticizing

I don't really have a problem with someone feeling bad for running over a kid with a scooter.

That being said, I also don't feel I am the self-appointed morality police.....righting the wrongs of others in a single bound.

If I choose to take the elevator up or down, even if it is only for one floor, it is my business, no one else's. I will however be polite, wait my turn and wait for the people on the elevator to get off first. I have no problem with children on elevators as long as they behave and are polite. That goes for anyone else too.