Elevator Etiquette

printingchick

Your point sounds valid, certainly. But the other poster's point is equally valid. It is not about telling a stranger what they can or cannot do. But anyone can certainly do their best to discredit someone so rude, lazy, and inconsiderate to waste everyone's time with taking an elevator for one floor. Lazy people are hardly any different from stupid people. And strangers or not, if one is stupid, I will call them on it every time. Since I'm banned by law not to throw them overboard (what a wonderful word where such petty rules did not exist), I will simply growl and criticize them. And it amazes me people feel I DON'T have that right.

I feel the same way about grouchy people who like to complain about everything.

I don't really have a problem with someone feeling bad for running over a kid with a scooter.

That being said, I also don't feel I am the self-appointed morality police.....righting the wrongs of others in a single bound.

I agree, something that hurts others is a different matter.

I would agree with your assessment that some of the rudest people are the elderly. We take a family vacation almost every year. My niece has gotten hurt twice by elderly people on scooters. The first time she was 3. We were waiting in line at the buffet for a sandwich when a lady ran over the back of her ankle, scraping off the skin. I turned around and said "Excuse me, you ran into my niece." And the woman said "Little children don't belong on ships." My niece was not screaming, crying, running around. She was just standing there with me, waiting for a sandwich.

The last time was last year. She was 7. We had just gotten back on ship after an excursion and headed up to the pool. We were ready to get off when a lady on a scooter barged her way into the elevator, and just mowed her over. Her leg got all scraped up, so she cried. The woman didn't say "Excuse me" or "I'm sorry." Later that afternoon, we were back at the pool and the lady scooted by telling her friend "That's the little brat from the elevator" and laughed.

My niece is always accompanied by an adult when she is on the elevators or anywhere on the ship. So she is not just out roaming around getting in the way of others. Both times it was either someone else not paying attention or being malicious to her.

Entitlement is not only an attitude of the young.

Keep in mind that people who act like this are generally miserable about their own lives. Some people age poorly and take their bitterness out on others. Just about anything will be the subject of complaint. This doesn't help your neice. Hopefully she knows that there are some of us old fogies out there that are not looking for a retirement home atmosphere and who are nice to be around.

I walk up & down the stairs as much as possible, or as much as my knees will permit on any given day!, and sometimes I will take the elevator up or down one level - just because I feel like it. It is no one else's business how or why I go up & down. And it is none of my business how or why anyone else rides or walks up & down.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder - you would think that elevators are elevators and the rules are the same everywhere.

BUT - when you embark on a large cruise liner you are joining an international population on the ship and the accepted norms are not the same for everything in all countries of the world. Please understand, I am not saying those who are not from the USA are rude; and I would hasten to say that there are plenty of us that ARE rude from the good ole USA. I am simply saying that what we consider obvious and the norm in our country might not be so obvious for someone from another country. Maybe that is why this is more prevalent on cruise ships.

Just a thought.

You are right. I've been to China and we had to form a wall to keep people from cutting into and through our group. I think when you come from really crowded countries, they believe you have to push and take to get ahead or you'll never get on that train, bus, elevator -- and they are all always crowded. Not the same sense of personal space.

On my last cruise it wasn't uncommon for people to get on the elevator and that would cause the car's warning light to come on, notifying that the car was over-weight, and of course it wouldn't move. It was almost like pulling teeth to get the last people back off so the car would go.

Edited by Treven

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise on the Independence of the Seas sailing out of Southampton 4 May. There were easily ten times as many individuals using wheelchairs and mobility scooters on this cruise than our previous cruises. Not once during the two week cruise did we experience problems with any individuals using these devices. There was only one of these devices at any time on the elevators. The only problem was people getting on the elevator not allowing them to exit before trying to cram in. The only other problem we had on the elevators was a woman, probably the grandmother, with a stroller who insisted on cramming into an already unit. Everyone told her she would have to wait but she kept the stroller in the doorway and demanded room be made for her to get on. Finally two people tired of her rudeness and exited so there was room for her and the stroller. We would have also exited but we were literally crammed into the back. When the doors closed she cackled and said I always get my way. Again if I was closer I think I would have slapped her. Removal at the next port for violating passenger conduct rules would have been worth it. Actually we felt bad about how many people using a wheelchair or scooter had to wait for another car to arrive as there was already a chair or scooter on the elevator. On our cruise mutual respect for others seemed to be the rule of the day, all fourteen of them.

my wife has had both knees and a hip replaced.. she look's and walks great. but, if she took the stairs she would be miserable. so folks just use some common sense and not worry about what everyone else is doing and why..

Exactly!

My DH gets mad at me because I actually say something to them about how rude that is.......what can I say even when I am on vacation I am still thinking about the obesity of our children!!

In this case, while your heart might be in the right place, your interference of parenting holds potential for trouble. I know I wouldn't take kindly to someone telling my child they were rude. Something like that would ruin an entire vacation for my children, as they are thin-skinned...like many other children. I could see myself having to soothe my crying daughter (when she was little) because she made a gaff and was called out by a stranger for it. My advice...if it doesn't affect you DIRECTLY, keep it to yourself and stay away from correcting other peoples children unless you're in a social position and appropriate location to do so...like a teacher IN the classroom.

Please know, I'm not intending to bash this poster, just saying how *I* would feel

One thing I love doing especially after muster or after dinner when the elevators really start to have long lines is simply go over to the stairs and somewhat loudly say to someone usually a crew member cleaning "I think I'll take the stairs"

I could have SWORN you were going to say that you tell that someone or crew member - loudly - that you have horrible gas. THAT might keep those of lesser need from crowding you in. :D

if you want to use the stairs use the stairs.. if folks want to wait for the elevator why would it be a concern of yours? also, anyone bold enough to try to correct/educate someone else's kids should mind their own business. the husband evidently has better manners the the poster who thought it was her duty to correct children not her own.

really people.. it's a cruise, relax and enjoy.

Edited by RockeyBullwinkle

This thread reminds me of a cruise we took a couple of years ago. Waiting for the elevator with us was a man and I guess his wife in a wheel chair. When the elevator stopped the people inside moved out and the man with the wheel chair started to move forward. I slid to the right side of the chair, I think he thought I was going to butt ahead of the chair and he gave a very dirty look. I was not. I was just putting my arm across the door to hold it open as I have seen the door close on wheel chairs before and I can imagine how frightening it is to be in a wheelchair and not be able to move as the door seems to be closing. The man eventually understood what I was trying to do and smiled as he and his wife got thru the door. But he and the poor woman had to ride backwards as there wasn't enough room for him to turn the chair around. The funny thing is we were not able to get on and waited for the next elevator.

Moral of this story. If you are not in a wheelchair look out for those who are and if you are in one there are people who will try to help you. And good lord let people off before trying to get on the elevator!

if you want to use the stairs use the stairs.. if folks want to wait for the elevator why would it be a concern of yours? also, anyone bold enough to try to correct/educate someone else's kids should mind their own business. the husband evidently has better manners the the poster who thought it was her duty to correct children not her own.

really people.. it's a cruise, relax and enjoy.

I agree.... it is no different from not giving up a seat on the subway to an elderly or pregnant person. The able-bodied have every right to sit there and if they want to look like an insensitive ass that is their own business.

As far as other people's children, that depends on the circumstances. I would say the most extreme example was a kid throwing rocks at my car. I didn't wait for the parent, who didn't say anything, to scold their child and felt perfectly within my right to tell them not to do it again. However, if a kid has a tantrum or otherwise acts up and isn't causing a danger I'd stay out of it.

I agree.... it is no different from not giving up a seat on the subway to an elderly or pregnant person. The able-bodied have every right to sit there and if they want to look like an insensitive ass that is their own business.

As far as other people's children, that depends on the circumstances. I would say the most extreme example was a kid throwing rocks at my car. I didn't wait for the parent, who didn't say anything, to scold their child and felt perfectly within my right to tell them not to do it again. However, if a kid has a tantrum or otherwise acts up and isn't causing a danger I'd stay out of it.

Actually it's not the same. Elderly person or pregnant lady standing on a bus or subway is a safety issue. Buses start and stop and those are the folks you don't want risking a fall. I've seen bus drivers here in El Paso refuse to move until the pregnant lady or person carrying a baby or small child has a seat.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I have this thing about someone stepping on my toes as everyone moves to the back to let another person into an already crowded elevator. I usually wear sandals and my toes have been stepped on more than once. Hate that. And, I too, take to the stairs usually for this reason alone.:)

• 1 year later...

I had the opposite experience on Carnival Magic last October. My wife, daughter and I were waiting on elevators in the "Magic Atrium". It was a busy time (just pulled into port, I think). An elevator showed up with about 4-5 grumpy old farts. Plenty of room for the 3 of us and probably a couple more (these elevators are very large). But there were two that were just blocking the entrance and refused to move! I guess they thought it was their personal elevator.

So... Elevator Etiquette rule from me: Don't hog the elevators! ;)

I had the opposite experience on Carnival Magic last October. My wife, daughter and I were waiting on elevators in the "Magic Atrium". It was a busy time (just pulled into port, I think). An elevator showed up with about 4-5 grumpy old farts. Plenty of room for the 3 of us and probably a couple more (these elevators are very large). But there were two that were just blocking the entrance and refused to move! I guess they thought it was their personal elevator.

I hope you pushed them aside, I would have!

LOL -- reminds me of something we saw, many years ago. We had just dined in a very posh restaurant in downtown San Diego -- on the top floor of a building in the financial district. My DH was in the restaurant's elevator lobby, waiting for me to return from the powder room. He saw a well-dressed older gentleman emerge from the restaurant's bar. This gentleman was accompanied by two younger, larger men -- also well-dressed and wearing sunglasses (indoors at night). Right after the three of them boarded the waiting elevator, a man and woman approached to board it also. They were politely, but firmly, waved off by one of the younger men. When my DH told me about it, I said that it sounded just like a scene out of "Goodfellas"! :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

I often find that some people just turn up and walk straight into an elevator, completely oblivious of those who have been waiting patiently for it to arrive.

Carol

You mean they were not standing there just chatting?

One of my pet peeves is when people don't allow outgoing people to exit before coming into an elevator. Also being first in an elevator and standing by the control panel but not taking control of it (pressing the open button til everyone comes on board and asking what floors people want). You just have to wonder about people.:rolleyes: