Chandris Cruises(Celebrity)? Who remembers them?

LAKaye

I have been reading, as all of us have, the many threads about the quality of the days gone by. Does anyone at all remember the early days of Celebrity Cruises, back when they were owned by Chandris (where the "X" comes from)?

Not that many years ago, the key in the kitchen for Celebrity was that everything was made from scratch--there were no pre-fab mixes in the galley. Was it the chef Michele Roux or was that concept in place before the idea of a name-brand chef per cruise line?

Every little thing was mixed in the fabulous galley. This meant far less salt. My blood pressure was never a problem for that glorious week....I miss that.

On another change-related subject, I am paying today, in 2009, the same amount, per person per week, for a balcony room on RCI as I did for a comfy, ocean-view room on Deck 5 on the Zenith in 1995 (she had no balcony rooms). Hmm.

Looking back on the years, I would have liked to have had the price go up 5% each year, and maintain the high cruising standards of the mid-90s, than to have had disappointment rule, as it has had lately over my family:

For the first time in 20 years, we have no cruises reserved on RCI. We are tired of cruising with the mainstream lines. The exceptional-factor is gone. Schlepping our food to the Outer Banks is actually easier this year than going to the Freedom, as we did in November of 2007...

I would have liked to have booked a cruise for us all again....but can you believe that they just weren't wowwed enough?

Leslie, wandering and disappointed

Edited by LAKaye
  • Like 1

I have been reading, as all of us have, the many threads about the quality of the days gone by. Does anyone at all remember the early days of Celebrity Cruises, back when they were owned by Chandris (where the "X" comes from)?

Not that many years ago, the key in the kitchen for Celebrity was that everything was made from scratch--there were no pre-fab mixes in the galley. Was it the chef Michele Roux or was that concept in place before the idea of a name-brand chef per cruise line?

Every little thing was mixed in the fabulous galley. This meant far less salt. My blood pressure was never a problem for that glorious week....I miss that.

On another change-related subject, I am paying today, in 2009, the same amount, per person per week, for a balcony room on RCI as I did for a comfy, ocean-view room on Deck 5 on the Zenith in 1995 (she had no balcony rooms). Hmm.

Looking back on the years, I would have liked to have had the price go up 5% each year, and maintain the high cruising standards of the mid-90s, than to have had disappointment rule, as it has had lately over my family:

For the first time in 20 years, we have no cruises reserved on RCI. We are tired of cruising with the mainstream lines. The exceptional-factor is gone. Schlepping our food to the Outer Banks is actually easier this year than going to the Freedom, as we did in November of 2007...

I would have liked to have booked a cruise for us all again....but can you believe that they just weren't wowwed enough?

Leslie,

I hear you. Cruising has changed, regardless of what line you are cruising on now. I think for me, the thing that has changed the most over the years is how cruising has become so mass-market. So many (big) ships, so many cabins to fill. Things will never be like they were. I have chosen to continue to cruise because it is in my blood. I still enjoy it for several reasons. The only suggestion I can make is to try a line like Crystal, Regent Seven Seas, Silversea or even Seabourn if you that high level of food and to be wowed again. The ships are smaller, you will pay more, (sometimes much more) but I think you may find what you are looking for on one of those lines if you are willing to pay for it. Good luck...

We still talk about our very first cruise (but then, doesn't everyone). It was to celebrate our 10th anniversary and was on Meridian in 1993. The whole trip was wonderful, but aren't first cruises always??

We had booked a med cruise on a small 3-star Chandris ship. The price was so reasonable that we had booked a suite! The ship was sold 5 weeks before our cruise and Chandris made the magnanimous offer of switching us to the Meridian for a caribbean cruise and gave us the biggest suite on the ship. (All we had to do was pay for the - relatively inexpensive - charter flights from Germany to San Juan.) WOW!! That's one trip we'll never forget. Everything was perfect and we were hooked.:D

Hi! Our first cruise was on the Amerikanis in an inside room in 1989. We thought it was great but heard previous cruisers pointing out its shortcomings.

Our next cruise was in 1991 on the Victoria, another Chandris ship.

BTW these 2 old cruises counted on X when I booked a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Mercury in 2006.

~Jo~ :)

We loved the Britanis. Threw a big "50" birthday party for my husband on it 17 years ago. (I guess could have been his 40th).Sure miss that special area beyond the card room that hardly anybody knew about and the large staterooms. All the early ships we sailed on are gone now. Not only are we getting older but cruising certainly has changed. Some for the better, some we have to accept but we still have the memories. For me, it is still an escape from the stress of our every day working world. I really don't care if we ever get off the ship just so we can watch the waves (with a glass of wine, of course) and the wonderful wake (if we're fortunate enough to get an aft balcony). Thanks for the memories.:)

Kathryn

Edited by billscruiser

My first cruise was on Chandris' Azur, a converted car ferry. I had a great time and "traded-up" one year later on the brand-new Horizon.

If you had an hour (and supplied me with a few drinks), I could tell you how I eventually got to meet John Chandris at his Park Lane offices over a decade ago. What was supposed to be a five-minute courtesy visit ended up being a remarkable 45-minute conversation about Celebrity and the cruise industry in general. At that time, Mr. Chandris wanted Celebrity to basically be a lower-cost version of Crystal. How far we've come, or more correctly, how far we've fallen!

Now, could you ever imagine Dan Hanrahan ever taking the time to meet with a passenger (or even return a letter?)

Everything changes, life goes on and it's still better onboard than off.

Now, why isn't this on the Celebrity Board?!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

Just like Dr. Cocktail, my very fist cruise was on the MV Azur in 1988. At that time, I thought I died and went to heaven. I had no idea until my second cruise which was on a RCCL ship, that my first cruise was really on a "bottom of the barrel" cruise ship. Talk about ignorance being bliss!!! LOL

Yes, I remember Chandris. It was non stop from boarding to disembarking. The one thing I have learned over the years in cruising and other vacations is that I am responsible for my own good time. Yes, it was great. I am glad that I have those memories and shared cruising during that era. This, however, is a new time, and while things have changed, I have to say, even with the changes, nothing beats a cruise.... nothing.

Our first cruise was on the S.S. Britanis. At the time of our sailing, she was the oldest sailing passanger vessel. It was a great trip. The rooms were very small. All the ladies dryed and curled their hair in this long hallway with a mirror that covered the entire length of the hallway. The women were in their robes and doing makeup and hair. The food and service were OUTSTANDING! The showroom was nothing larger than that of an elementary school classroom. Did you know this ship has sunk and is resting on the bottom of the ocean? I am 48 years old and we did this cruise when I was 27.

\

How funny...we are spending 2 weeks on the Outer Banks and schlepping food as well! We love it there though! The ocean, the beach, pool and hot tub...all personal and semi-private. The dolphins in the surf, the wild horses. No formal nights or major excursions...it is truly a relaxing vacation. And even with air, the price of a huge beach front house with our cruise friends and food is comparable or less than a cruise. :D Enjoy! Whichever you decide.

We cruised on the Amerikanas in the mid-80's. The conversation went like this booking it with a TA.

Husband: Just looked at my wife's calendar and we can travel between July 5 and July 15.

TA: Where do you want to go?

Husband: Wherever you are going.

TA: We have a six day out of NYC to Bermuda, how does that sound?

Husband: How much?

TA: $500 for you and $500 for the misses

Husband: How much for my two boys? (then 13 and 8)

TA: They are free sharing your cabin except port charges

Husband: How much are they?

TA: $22.50 each.

Husband: Let me get this straight. They are going to feed my two boys for six days for $22.50 each?

TA: Yes.

Husband: Sold

Cost about the same to get us to NYC from Texas but it was a great cruise and my boys still talk about riding the motor scooters around the island. The youngest was very proud (he was riding with me) that he only screamed once.

Tucker in Texas

Our very first cruise was on the Britanis which I am almost sure was one of the Chandris Line. Wow, that was many, many years ago:p

The Britanis was my first cruise as well back in the mid 80's and I remember loving it. The food was really good and seemed to be close to what you pay for on ships now in the Specialty restaurants. The former Meridian and the old Britanis are at the bottom of the sea now resting. Oh and boy do I remember the bathrooms and having to go to a community area for 110 electric. I have some great pictures from that ship and I remember all the wooden decks everywhere.

Edited by snowbird1

I sailed on the Britannis when I left Hong Kong in 1972, our first part of the voyage was on the Neiuw Holland down to Brisbane and then Sydney in Australia. We then spent a week or so there bofore catching the Mv Britannis all the way back to UK. 8 Weeks, visitng Wellington, Taihiti, Gallapagos islands, Panama Canal, Curacao, Azores and then finally Southampton. That was long before the modern type cruising was thought about, it was a relaxing time before we moved back to the UK

I remember the majority of the crew were greek, well I suppose that was to be expected as she was a greek ship. The last time I ever saw that big liner was alongside in Barbados in 1978 when the Navy ship I was on called in. I even still have the picture of her lying alongside in Barbados.......It was fun in the pool when the ship rolled, you ended up getting some big waves and at times the pool could not be used as it was too dangerous. I think one of the films onboard they were showing was the 'Battle of the Bulge' no not the slimming / diet movie with likes of Olivia Newton John......

The last thing I thought about when I left that ship was how much I never wanted to see Octopus again, after 8 wks of Hors D'oeuvres which consisted of various forms of cooked octopus I started having nightmares and I think still mentally scared even now !!!...........

Our first cruise was on the Britanis also some time before 1985 because it was with my mother and my aunt and my then boyfriend, now husband of 24 years! We all shared one cabin from NY to Bermuda with us in the two top bunks. I can't believe he continued to date me after 5 days with my mother and aunt! The service, the real midnight buffet and everything else were just amazing to us and we were hooked. My mother even won our share of the cruise by guessing how far we had traveled at a certain point in the cruise! We honeymooned on the NCL Skyward and then our first anniversary was spent on the Norway. What an awesome ship that was! We took another Celebrity cruise along the way and I have to say that the style and service of those older cruises can't be beat. However, our 24th anniversary is in two weeks and 4 days later we will be on our 24th cruise on the RCL Liberty in a balcony cabin for about half the cost of our first anniversary cruise on the Norway! I say less cost=more cruises. The years when our now 19 year-old was little were cruise less so we have had to do two a year to make up! We finally caught up quite pleasantly!

Our first cruise sometime in the 90's was on the Britianis with an oldies radio station here in Florida. Our second was also on the Britanis to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. I know that she is now a natural reef somewhere in the ocean.. Fond memories of the ship are still with us...

1995 I won a sales contest where I worked. The prize was a 7 night cruise on the Zenith !!! We did the Western Caribbean.

I had never cruised before. I thought I died & went to heaven. They created a cruising monster. :D Um, that would be me. LOL

As soon as we got home I booked another cruise. This one on the Century to the Eastern Caribbean in 1996.

Then also in 1996 we went on the Meridian out of San Juan for a 10 day 9 island cruise. Wow, that was a busy one. I did however feel the clientele on that ship was a bit older. A few of the party boat trips I booked got cancelled because not enough were going. :rolleyes:

1997 we went on the Horizon to Alaska. Another fantastic trip. Even got invited to the Captain's Table. Couldn't believe it. :D

Now 36 cruises later, we are Elite on Celebrity & Diamond on RCI.

The food is not the same as it was back then, but I hear that about all the lines. I guess to keep it affordable, they went to some cheaper type foods, like turkey, etc. I'm still relatively happy with quality, but definitely not like it used to be. :(

I do think cruising is the best value for the money !

• 1 month later...
Our very first cruise was on the Britanis which I am almost sure was one of the Chandris Line. Wow, that was many, many years ago:p

This board has brought back great cruising memories for me! My Mom worked for Chandris for over 30 years, and her second marriage was on board The Amerikanis in August 1972. At that time I was 10 years old, they had a cast away party in the cabin, everyone was invited, some disembarked & away they sailed, children were not invited. Ironically, the day I was married in 1989, The Amerikanis was sailing under The Verrazano Bridge in NY while I was taking photos in the park and she is part of my background.

My Mom promised when I turned 18, I could take a cruise. Two weeks after my 18th birthday, I flew to San Juan and took my first Caribbean cruise on The Victoria. I was addicted after that, of course I needed to sail the Amerikanis since my parents were married on that ship. The Brittanis was next and she was my favorite. Many Caribbean & Bermuda Cruises were sailed on her until Fantasy Cruises took over with weekend party cruises out of NY. I would come to work on Friday in my jeans & Party Cruise tee shirt, weekend bag & radio. I left work took a cab to the midtown Manhattan pier, board for the weekend. On Monday morning I took a cab back to work. Monday evening, I would get to bed early, do my laundry on Tuesday, plan my next cruise on Wednesday, pack on Thursday & start all over again on Friday. I was young so I was able to handle lack of sleep. I sailed to many different ports, been on a lot of theme cruises and met many different people.

My last cruise was in 1985, it was Mediterranean, I think it was on The Atlantis to the Greek Islands with a stay in Athens. While we were, onboard at sea, The Achilles Laura was hijacked. Fantasy sold to Celebrity Cruises and I did one sailing on Galileo & Meridian and I remember having lunch on a new cruise ship at the NYC dock, then Mom retired and the company moved to Miami.

Those were the days....you could bring your own liquor in your luggage, soda & mixers were free. You needed a converter for your hair dryer; irons were available in a separate ironing room. You could skeet shoot on deck, the party did not end until everyone was ready for bed. Baked Alaska, Captains Nights, you actually had cocktails with the Captain, Baked Alaska & Midnight Buffets. Lucky for me, I was always on standby, so if the ship was full, I could have been bumped, but usually ended up in the best cabin on the ship!

My husband & daughter took their first cruise with me last year on the NCL Sun. I didn’t want to try Celebrity as I thought it would be too formal & more of an adult atmosphere for my daughter. I was I surprised at the cost of a cruise, I never really knew how much it was since I was always had some type of employee discount. Back then, the airlines honored that as well. I expected a lot, it was okay, but not great. This year I am taking my daughter on RCL for her sweet 16 with a friend, I think this is a better choice this time around, and hope to plan another cruise for April of next year. Once I stepped back onto a cruise ship, I realized it was one of the best vacations I ever had. I hope to share this experience now with my daughter, too bad I am not a travel agent

This board has brought back great cruising memories for me! My Mom worked for Chandris for over 30 years, and her second marriage was on board The Amerikanis in August 1972. At that time I was 10 years old, they had a cast away party in the cabin, everyone was invited, some disembarked & away they sailed, children were not invited. Ironically, the day I was married in 1989, The Amerikanis was sailing under The Verrazano Bridge in NY while I was taking photos in the park and she is part of my background.

My Mom promised when I turned 18, I could take a cruise. Two weeks after my 18th birthday, I flew to San Juan and took my first Caribbean cruise on The Victoria. I was addicted after that, of course I needed to sail the Amerikanis since my parents were married on that ship. The Brittanis was next and she was my favorite. Many Caribbean & Bermuda Cruises were sailed on her until Fantasy Cruises took over with weekend party cruises out of NY. I would come to work on Friday in my jeans & Party Cruise tee shirt, weekend bag & radio. I left work took a cab to the midtown Manhattan pier, board for the weekend. On Monday morning I took a cab back to work. Monday evening, I would get to bed early, do my laundry on Tuesday, plan my next cruise on Wednesday, pack on Thursday & start all over again on Friday. I was young so I was able to handle lack of sleep. I sailed to many different ports, been on a lot of theme cruises and met many different people.

My last cruise was in 1985, it was Mediterranean, I think it was on The Atlantis to the Greek Islands with a stay in Athens. While we were, onboard at sea, The Achilles Laura was hijacked. Fantasy sold to Celebrity Cruises and I did one sailing on Galileo & Meridian and I remember having lunch on a new cruise ship at the NYC dock, then Mom retired and the company moved to Miami.

Those were the days....you could bring your own liquor in your luggage, soda & mixers were free. You needed a converter for your hair dryer; irons were available in a separate ironing room. You could skeet shoot on deck, the party did not end until everyone was ready for bed. Baked Alaska, Captains Nights, you actually had cocktails with the Captain, Baked Alaska & Midnight Buffets. Lucky for me, I was always on standby, so if the ship was full, I could have been bumped, but usually ended up in the best cabin on the ship!

My husband & daughter took their first cruise with me last year on the NCL Sun. I didn’t want to try Celebrity as I thought it would be too formal & more of an adult atmosphere for my daughter. I was I surprised at the cost of a cruise, I never really knew how much it was since I was always had some type of employee discount. Back then, the airlines honored that as well. I expected a lot, it was okay, but not great. This year I am taking my daughter on RCL for her sweet 16 with a friend, I think this is a better choice this time around, and hope to plan another cruise for April of next year. Once I stepped back onto a cruise ship, I realized it was one of the best vacations I ever had. I hope to share this experience now with my daughter, too bad I am not a travel agent

I should have said our very first cruise with my husband was on the Britanis. My actual first few cruises were with a girlfriend that worked for Cunard line when they were headquartered in NYC (late 70's??). Her and I took a cruise on the QE2, Cunard Princess and Cunard Countess. Can'r remember the cost but it was not much. And yes, those were the days of skeet shooting on deck etc. Fond memories!!!!;)

LAKaye, thanks for reminding me of good memories.

Our second cruise was the Amerikanis in April 1987. I was 5 months pregnant at the time.

She was a grand ship; made me feel like I was in an Agatha Christie novel! I loved that the ports were not so commercialized, too. I also remember the converters for outlets, the "pace" and breath of activities, the interaction with crew (although much of the change was due to 9/11 concerns, as far as tours of the ship and access to some senior staff).

Our first cruise was 1986, aboard the Song of America. Disliked that one so much I didn't try RCCL again until 2001 (preferred "Celebrity" after it changed from Chandris and both before and after RCCL bought them).

But, we, too, have "cruised-out" for all they same reasons the OP stated. We now use cruises to travel to destinations we wish to "sample." Then, we make ground-trip plans to return.

Our cruise plans now match up to our interests in exploring an area (or, in the case of the Oasis, a "new" ship experience...may be, scheduled for 2010).

Our ground travel plans are similar. Although we have done a lot of independent travel in Europe these last 5 years, our travel plans now focus on visiting those parts of the USA we'd like to see.

And the "ground-travel" appeals to me more and more as the ships get larger and more oriented to "onboard sales" of everything from access to whirlpools, to special deck areas, to alcohol, to wine-tasting, etc... (insert cruise line profit item here).

But, yeah, loved Chandris (puts the Chi in "X") and miss those old ships:).

Started on the Zenith and then went to the Horizon so not on the older ships.

Still upset with the change to the eggs benny when new ownership came on. The little rings of black olive stuck right on top..... disappeared soon after the change. :) :(

Just an indication that all things must change. Interesting.!!! the Price comparison. Then cat 5 now a 2B on the Solstice.. I agree. Change is not all bad.

What wonderful memories for you all.

Our first cruise was not on Chandris but Dolphin (now that was a real tub but one of the best trips, food was outstanding). I remember sailing our first Celebrity cruise and everyone asking what the X meant:)

Our first Celebrity was on Zenith and it was the end for us. We sailed her, our favorite small ship, 3 times, Horizon 3 times (we were on the famous Legionaires Disease cruise in 1995 out of NY), loved Century (saw her when she 1st sailed to NY and Captain's Club members (we paid back then) we were invited to preview her, had lunch aboard and booked her the minute we got home. Sailed Century 3 times (prior to rehab).

Now we're M class snobs - all except Infinity.

We love Celebrity and miss Michele Roux. Loved the special feeling you got when you entered the dining room, the wonderful presentation of your meals, and the Greek crew. I don't know, we still love Celebrity, but as has been said, times change. The bottom line is the almighty dollar, how sad.

Wish they'd come up with a re-vamp of the Captain's Club. Guess times change but memories live on.

Pat C

Nice to hear all the memories and stories of the good old Chandris Line. Like many of you our 1st cruise was on the Britanis and we thought we were next door to heaven. It was a 7 day southern sailing from Montego Bay and it must have been good as we have had many cruises since, but not yet on Celebrity. Ironic that they know we sailed on the old X but will not recognize our cruise then on future Celebrity sailings. We well remember the excellent food, buffets and the showroom entertainment. Our inside cabin had walls so thin that often times the entertainment coming from our neighbours rooms was almost as good as the stage shows. cheers to all.

I have fond memories of cruises in the 80's on BRITANIS, AMERIKANIS, and

GALILEO.

They weren't fancy, but were an extraordinary value for the low price paid.

And it was fascinating to explore these old ships looking for traces of their

previous names & ownership, like the Hawaiian artwork throughout the

BRITANIS from her days as the LURLINE.

It's a shame someone doesn't try to market a ship like this in North

America today, there are still a few interesting ones sailing for Classic

International Cruises, Louis Cruises, etc. in Europe.

Surely there are 700-900 people a week who would enjoy and support

a smaller, older "classic" ship sailing from NY or Florida?