Theft in stateroom on Carnival

Gerricann

I am one of those who HAVE had items go missing from my stateroom. MANY years ago, on Princess, the morning of disembarkation, our room stewardess was not on duty, but rather someone else that we did not know (in a PCL uniform) was cleaning the room when we returned from breakfast. It was BEFORE the time we had to vacate the room, but we could tell that they guy was a little put out. We picked up our backpacks and left as he was cleaning the room. I didn't notice until later that some small, inexpensive souvenirs were missing from my backpack. Earlier in the week, a bottle of wine had gone missing. We just thought that the stewardess had thought it wasn't wanted since it was sitting on the floor instead of in the minifridge. We asked her about it and told her we didn't want it and she could keep it...and it mysteriously was returned a couple of days later. Again, I am sure her 'assistant' was helping himself and she was probably being blamed for it.

But, it DOES happen. Probably more so now than 10 years or more ago.

not that i expect this to happen, but i plan on bringing only costume jewelry with me. the real diamonds are staying in a safe place.

I used to do that, but a mugger in port would probably not be able to tell the difference between my fabulous fakes and the real stuff. I have taken to replacing my wedding band and engagement with a simple sterling silver band when I travel All I wear is a cheap $10.00 watch and the $10.00 band. Not enough bling to tempt anyone, and if I do misplace it there is no harm done.

I don’t even wear my rings on the ship. They stay locked away in the safe from the time I step foot in my cabin. I know they won’t get lost or stolen that way. I wear my Apple Watch on the ship and my waterproof Garmin Vivofit on shore so I can tell the time. That’s it. Everything else of value is in the safe. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Never had an issue that way.

I believe they do, however, often the room steward props your door open while he/she is cleaning it. They will often leave the room unattended (to talk to another guest who calls them or to get something needed) and I've experienced what others have mentioned, coming back to my room and finding the door wide open and my steward nowhere to be found!

I see a lot of advice to lock valuables in the safe. I have never had any thing missing from my cabin, but I don't bring anything of high value. I will put my passport and travel documents in the safe, but only because it is a hassle to get another.

Those safes on ships and in many hotel rooms are not very secure. A simple tool can open them in five seconds. The only thing they do is keep honest people honest.

I see a lot of advice to lock valuables in the safe. I have never had any thing missing from my cabin, but I don't bring anything of high value. I will put my passport and travel documents in the safe, but only because it is a hassle to get another.

Those safes on ships and in many hotel rooms are not very secure. A simple tool can open them in five seconds. The only thing they do is keep honest people honest.

I have seen the videos of them opening digital ones by using a code, but a lot of Carnival’s safes use a card with a magnetic strip. Getting the master key to that is a lot more difficult. Besides, a thief is generally looking for something easy and quick. With a door propped open, people walking by, and a chance of being caught, they will more than likely bypass trying to get into a safe vs snatching something left on a table or vanity.

Kind of like when thieves check cars in a parking lot or in driveways at night. They will see which ones are unlocked and select those as an easy target while bypassing the locked vehicles. It’s not worth the extra time and chance of being caught.

I don’t even wear my rings on the ship. They stay locked away in the safe from the time I step foot in my cabin. I know they won’t get lost or stolen that way. I wear my Apple Watch on the ship and my waterproof Garmin Vivofit on shore so I can tell the time. That’s it. Everything else of value is in the safe. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Never had an issue that way.

Why not just leave them at home if you're that concerned? I don't take as much jewelry with me on cruises as I used to, but I have no problems wearing expensive pieces on the ship. But I only wear my diamond wedding band on shore and leave my engagement ring in the safe primarily to not drawl attention to myself. I also wear my expensive watch, that isn't flashy, in the ports - I have insurance so I don't worry.

Why not just leave them at home if you're that concerned? I don't take as much jewelry with me on cruises as I used to, but I have no problems wearing expensive pieces on the ship. But I only wear my diamond wedding band on shore and leave my engagement ring in the safe primarily to not drawl attention to myself. I also wear my expensive watch, that isn't flashy, in the ports - I have insurance so I don't worry.

Because I'm the type of person that would worry that they are OK at home. Someone is always here when I go, but I still like to be able to keep my eye on them. Every night before I go to bed I check and make sure where they are and also before I leave my cabin in the morning. I would never wear my diamond ring off the ship especially when getting in the water. While yes, I could claim it on the insurance, it wouldn't be the same. I do bring some jewelry on the ship, but generally speaking it's not expensive. My engagement ring is the most valuable thing I own as far as that goes. I'm a low maintenance kind of chick :D.

Because I'm the type of person that would worry that they are OK at home. Someone is always here when I go, but I still like to be able to keep my eye on them. Every night before I go to bed I check and make sure where they are and also before I leave my cabin in the morning. I would never wear my diamond ring off the ship especially when getting in the water. While yes, I could claim it on the insurance, it wouldn't be the same. I do bring some jewelry on the ship, but generally speaking it's not expensive. My engagement ring is the most valuable thing I own as far as that goes. I'm a low maintenance kind of chick :D.

I really do understand the sentimental value of a piece of jewelry, but don't you have a safety deposit box at home? I guess if I was that worried about something I probably would never wear it. I do agree with wearing rings with large stones in the water - not a good idea.

Week after week, people post the dress code on the ship is anything goes. While on vacation, who are you trying to impress with diamonds and gold? Your table mates? I'm sure not your spouse, since you are already married. Isn't the idea of a cruise is to relax? Whether you have real diamonds, or fake ones, makes no difference. No one really cares except for the thieves.

While traveling there is nothing with us, that can't be replaced with a quick trip to the clothing store. Our watches are Timex. We wear no jewelry. We don't bring expensive electronics. We are just on the ship to relax and enjoy.

I really do understand the sentimental value of a piece of jewelry, but don't you have a safety deposit box at home? I guess if I was that worried about something I probably would never wear it. I do agree with wearing rings with large stones in the water - not a good idea.

Yes but I need to physically lay eyes on it. Just like my Passport when I travel. I am constantly checking it even though I know it didn’t disappear from my carry padded zipper travel document holder that is in my bag. I check it before I leave the house, then in the car, at the airport, on the plane, on the way to the hotel, when I get to my room, before I go to bed, when I wake up, on my way to the port, and then I use it to check in. Then I have to make sure I put it away. I see it again as I’m putting it in my safe and then check it once a day when I get any cash out of my travel thing as they are in the same compartment. It’s OCD and I’m OK with that. I will never be one of those people that forgot their ID and aren’t allowed to board the ship!

Why would I never wear my wedding ring? I’m not afraid of losing it at home because it’s on my finger. It’s not smart to wear it on vacation when you may have a few too many drinks (although that rarely happens with me because I don’t drink. But when I do it only takes a couple to get me feeling pretty good). Plus you are in a different country and are obviously a tourist and can be targeted for theft. It stays in the safe where it is safe. If you read the travel recommendations issued by numerous sources, they say to leave valuables in the safe. Why take an unnecessary chance?

Yes but I need to physically lay eyes on it. Just like my Passport when I travel. I am constantly checking it even though I know it didn’t disappear from my carry padded zipper travel document holder that is in my bag. I check it before I leave the house, then in the car, at the airport, on the plane, on the way to the hotel, when I get to my room, before I go to bed, when I wake up, on my way to the port, and then I use it to check in. Then I have to make sure I put it away. I see it again as I’m putting it in my safe and then check it once a day when I get any cash out of my travel thing as they are in the same compartment. It’s OCD and I’m OK with that. I will never be one of those people that forgot their ID and aren’t allowed to board the ship!

I do the same, though I drive to Florida ports. My passport has accompanied me into rest area ladies’ rooms since I read about a couple who were denied boarding because the tote bag that contained their passports was stolen from their rental car the day before a cruise.

Week after week, people post the dress code on the ship is anything goes. While on vacation, who are you trying to impress with diamonds and gold? Your table mates? I'm sure not your spouse, since you are already married. Isn't the idea of a cruise is to relax? Whether you have real diamonds, or fake ones, makes no difference. No one really cares except for the thieves.

While traveling there is nothing with us, that can't be replaced with a quick trip to the clothing store. Our watches are Timex. We wear no jewelry. We don't bring expensive electronics. We are just on the ship to relax and enjoy.

Who said anything about trying to impress anyone? I don't look like a walking jewelry store but I do have some very nice pieces that I enjoy wearing - what's the point of having it if I don't wear it? When traveling I don't take anything that can't be replaced either - heirloom stuff stays at home, but the rest is insured. My iPad makes the journey as well. I'm also on the ship to relax and enjoy - and don't worry about "stuff."

bet you had private insurance on such a valuable piece right?

Just wondering why she needed to bring the necklace anyway? She certainly didn't need to impress you.:rolleyes:

I'll also just wondering; what good is having jewelry if you are afraid to wear it. Dw has nice stuff and never wears anything (jewelry) on shore but hauls her collection with her every cruise...And we always use the safe. And wearing costume jewelry on shore? A thief doesn't know the difference when he sees you, so you could be putting yourself in harms way.

Most people do wear jewelry to impress others . It's an ego thingy. Bigger cars ,bigger house, more money. Best looking honey. It all starts in your youth.

Silliest thing I've ever heard. Perhaps true of some people, but I work very hard for my money and reward myself with material possessions that please me and no one else. People who go in debt up to their eyeballs to buy things are foolish, IMHO, but that doesn't apply to me. No ego involved at all. I don't care if you like or dislike my jewelry, house, car - whatever. I think these types of comments are because people envy what others have and just don't want to admit it.

I never bring anything truly valuable on board. And money, passports, phone, cameras, etc, go in the safe when not in use. Even my Kindle, which is the only electronic device besides my phone that I take aboard, is locked up when I'm not carrying it.