Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

[quote=

For the record are you all aware that the London Sunday Times reported 22 March 2009 this site is owned by Expedia and that RCI monitors a select group of people to ensure they wriite positive things on this site. I had hoped this was not true but if its in the Times it must be>>>>>!!!!!

Happy cruising.

Ex-journalist here and for a while worked not too far away from The Times - this, my friend, is journalism. Don't believe everything you read, although in all fairness, there is usually some semblance of truth amongst it all!!

I am not a 'Champion' and in another area of cyberspace, I had a huge public online run-in with RCCL. I have never had an upgrade either - :(:(!! I also don't think the Management of RCCL are that enamoured with me, for interfering on the Brilliance.

So, like RCCL, I am damned if I do and damned if I don't. Well, guys, I am not entering a popularity contest - if you don't like what I say, that's your prerogative - but it is totally immature to resort to insults just because someone doesn't agree with you!! Debate and opinion is one thing, maligning someone's integrity, quite another!!

I would repeat that IMHO, RCCL did get it wrong in the criteria for reaching the levels. But that is in the past - they now have to do what they think best for the Company - I hope that they will do something to ameliorate the present situation - but I don't count on it. We reached Plus by cruises over 10+ days, after becoming Elite on Celebrity, so we have put our money where our mouths are. But I did know many Plussers who just did shorty cruises and reached the level spending far less than others. That wasn't and isn't, fair and should be sorted out. But I don't work for the Company and my opinion doesn't count.

I still say that they should at the very least, put on a 'pay' bar in a special Lounge each evening for Diamonds, just like Princess is now doing. And permit Diamonds to 'phone to the Concierge, or another dedicated person, for tickets, tours etc. However, there maybe other problems of which we are unaware.

It will be interesting to see whether they recant!! They did in the George Smith scenario!!

It is quite a shame that after attaining Diamond status in just 20 months time, Royal Caribbean does not even have the decency to contact me regarding my disgust expressed to them via email on the cuts in the Diamond program. Oh well. Since then I have canceled two trips with Royal and even reduced my cost of my sailing in Europe next summer by surrendering a Royal Family suite which would have cost 8600 dollars to a Balcony and Inside room which will cost about 4600 hundred dollars. I figure if Royal Caribbean needs to cut costs then I need to cut drastically the money I spend on Royal Caribbean. Maybe that will help alleviate further the "Concierge Club Overcrowding". BTW, we have sailed Regent Seven Seas instead recently and it is wonderful. We are booked on Norwegian in the fall. It was nice of Royal Caribbean to force me to try other lines. Previous to them slapping me in the face I had only sailed on Royal Exclusively! Now I know there are others who appreciate my business more and I am all too happy to spread my business around seeing as Royal doesn't seem to care if Diamond members come back or not.

It sounds as if you'll never be happy with Royal again.

In essence, you actually helped Royal by changing your cabins - you're spending $4600 for two cabins and they'll now have the RFS to sell again. They won't have a problem selling the RFS, since there's only one of them onboard. Someone else who isn't in a tizzy about this whole Diamond Perks issue will book it and enjoy the perks, including the CL.

Granted, you're not alone in your tizzy - there are others who are acting equally irrational. But to each their own - speak with your wallets - the ships will continue to sail without you.

I do understand their need to make changes to the program. I think the program is a victim of itself - clearly when first introduced the creators didn't think people would gain Diamond status so quickly or easily. I mean really - awarding Diamond status to someone else sailing for the first time, staying in the same cabin as a Diamond member, that's too generous. And all those people who got to Diamond status by sailing only 2, 3 and 4 night cruises. Think the people that sailed only 7 night and longer cruises feel that those other people earned it like they did? Maybe they should have been giving full credit for 7 night or longer, and a half credit for 3 or 4 night cruises.

Clearly there were, and still are, faults with the program. Now RCCL is having to deal with the issues and, while I don't think it's been entirely fair, they have to draw the line somewhere. I do think that maybe they should consider restricting access to the CL for Diamond Members who reach Diamond Status AFTER July 1, 2009. That would be somewhat of a compromise.

You feel betrayed by Royal, I know, but don't let it ruin your vacations. Enjoy each and every one of them, whether having access to a CL or not.

I could be wrong but if you book the Royal suite don;t you have access to the Diamond Lounge anyway. :confused:

Ha ha! Good point! I feel so dumb that I didin't think of that! So, OP is upset about losing perks- one of which is CL- but swtiched outof his suite which would have given him access to said lounge and instead booked 2 cabins instead of 1- keeping his money with RCI. Got it.

Ha ha! Good point! I feel so dumb that I didin't think of that! So, OP is upset about losing perks- one of which is CL- but swtiched outof his suite which would have given him access to said lounge and instead booked 2 cabins instead of 1- keeping his money with RCI. Got it.

It was that same logic that caused him to start this repetitive thread. :rolleyes:

I'd be willing to bet, as I'm sure RCI is, that most of these people threatening to leave won't.

I just completed the post cruise email survey that I received. This is what I put in the comment box: (I wonder if it will even get read)

We are extremely disappointed in the recent C&A changes.

We had decided a few years ago because of the loyalty programs that we needed to make a choice and focus on cruising with one cruise line. We choose Royal Caribbean for many reasons but most importantly your loyalty program was very appealing to us. We felt that achieving Diamond status would be the ultimate social situation for us. The Concierge Lounge or the Diamond Lounge would be a more intimate atmosphere where we could relax and enjoy the company of others with the same cruising interests. We are not interested in the free cocktails. We have no problem buying our own drinks.

We have just become Diamond and we feel that our loyalty has been disregarded. We would have continued to cruise only with RCCL but now we have no reason to stay loyal and we will also consider other cruise lines because of this.

Scotland01

I agree with you completely. We have sailed with RCCL 13 times all 7 nights or longer. I believe it should be counted as days sailed not trips taken.

I'll second that. All of our cruises have been at least 7 nights. My DH and I would never consider anything less than 7 nights. At this time 7 nights is not enough for us. With air fares the way they are its not worth it.

Jan

NO i don't think you get it - its the manner it has been done for starters - no thought has been given before announcing this sorry mess and to round it off they're losing loyal customers !!

Still waiting on an email confirming the changes from the UK office - what a company ( nearly 2wks )

jj.......

Hey get in line jj (or should I say queue up).....there are a lot of us in the US that haven't received our e-mail notice yet. Me for one! lol

Cheers,

Colleen

On our first cruise on RCL in 2006 after we set foot on the Radiance of the Seas we knew we found our cruise line of choice, we did not have a clue about C&A and since that time we had many fantastic cruises with RCL. As we continued to cruise we found the perks to go along with our cruises an added bonus and continued sailing on RCL. I have yet to have a bad cruise on RCL and we are one cruise away from making diamond. I really felt that Royal wanted us and rewarded us for being frequent cruisers and then over the last year they started changing by cutting the benefits and I guess if we never had them we would of not missed them but taking away something that you do have is kind of shoddy. I will not miss the CL lounge because it is something we never had but I do miss the combining of benefits which made RCL more affordable.

RCL has done a series of cut backs that never seems to end and now we think what else are they going to cut. The more you cruised the higher level you became the more benefits were added. This is or was the RCL Loyalty program. There comes a point where you say to yourself enough all ready what on earth are you doing. Loyalty is a two way street and feel that RCL is going the wrong way. I can understand why so many are angry and disappointed because of the take aways it is difficult to take something back that you gave so freely. RCL did have the best loyalty program of all the mass market lines can no longer say that.

To us it was two fold we cruised RCL because we enjoy their ships and as an added bonus they rewarded for doing that and it worked we never looked at another cruise line then the cuts started some were ok like the midnight buffet or the $14.95 steak you don't want it don't order it. When they started to go into my wallet by cutting combined benefits then I started to take notice because this was affecting us financially. You cannot use a next cruise with your balcony discount or any other discount

You cannot use your stock OBC with any other discount you can only use one. I know some took advantage of every discount out there and the program could of been steam lined to reflect that. What they did was cut their program.

Now we have the CL mess and instead of working it out to make the program fairer they decided to chop it off.

I keep feeling that the cruise line I enjoyed so much is out of control and the focus seems to be the repeat cruisers. Those perks are something we have come to expect from RCL and RCL created that expectation and I do feel the carpet has been pulled out from underneath us. The one glimmer is that we still enjoy our cruises on RCL we have sailed in December and March and had great times but this is a bitter pill to swallow, We did decide this did open up opportunities on other cruise lines for us to try. I am not angry just very disappointed and some what surprised at the actions RCL has taken. We will continue to cruise RCL but we are now open to other cruise lines

Scotland01

I agree with you completely. We have sailed with RCCL 13 times all 7 nights or longer. I believe it should be counted as days sailed not trips taken.

I'll second that. All of our cruises have been at least 7 nights. My DH and I would never consider anything less than 7 nights. At this time 7 nights is not enough for us. With air fares the way they are its not worth it.

Jan

I'm not sure why folks think that 3/4 night cruises are not worth the same as a 7 night cruise towards your C&A points. There have been many times when we cruised 3/4 nights because they were close to our home and we were able to cruise more often! On many occasions, we paid MORE for our cruises on the 3/4 night than on a 7-night cruise. I wonder if jealousy isn't a factor here.:eek:

I personally think the point system is fair, they just need to increase the amount of points necessary to reach all levels of C&A.

I just completed the post cruise email survey that I received. This is what I put in the comment box: (I wonder if it will even get read)

We had decided a few years ago because of the loyalty programs that we needed to make a choice and focus on cruising with one cruise line. We choose Royal Caribbean for many reasons but most importantly your loyalty program was very appealing to us. We felt that achieving Diamond status would be the ultimate social situation for us. The Concierge Lounge or the Diamond Lounge would be a more intimate atmosphere where we could relax and enjoy the company of others with the same cruising interests. We are not interested in the free cocktails. We have no problem buying our own drinks.

We have just become Diamond and we feel that our loyalty has been disregarded. We would have continued to cruise only with RCCL but now we have no reason to stay loyal and we will also consider other cruise lines because of this.

millercat,

Thank you for that. I am glad you had the opportunity to complete that survey. I agree with everything you said.

Colleen

I wrote the same thing on my survey. In my little fantasy world, I do think they read them and note them. This was one of the reasons I loved the company. I am hoping they will change their minds. It stinks of bad customer relations.

Dear Crown and Anchor,

I’m A Diamond Plus Member

We’ve been looking at the Splendor of the Seas for Sept 2010, Junior Suite ($6,500.00) who just booked a Grand Suite on the Enchantment of the Seas in November for 5 nights. ($500.00 per night.) We usually sail 4 times a year and have never sailed Princess. But they have a trip departing 15 minutes from my house for 8 nights around the same time as the Enchantment trip. We can get a suite for around the same price. Please see below and tell me why we should stay with RCCL

No more newspapers

No more mints

no more late night buffet

No more shipshape / vitality program

No more stock dividend

No more daily lunches in the MDR (sea days only)

No more daily or gala midnight buffets

Johnny Rockets fee increase

Late nite room service fee

No more in-cabin liquor purchase w/ fee

No more bringing wine onboard

No more morning ice service

No in-room beach towel service

New fee for drinks at the Captain’s “cocktail” reception

No more C&A welcome back party

Beer and wine (only) at the new Diamond reception

Cutbacks in food quality

Dinnig Room steak fee

No more free photo coupon

No C&A gifts below D+

No combining stockholder / diamond discounts, even though one has absolutely nothing to do with the other

no overflow Diamond bar (see below)

Of course, last but not least: No CL access for diamonds

Thank You,

XXXXXX XXXXXXX

Account Number XXXXXXXX

I Just sent this to the C and A

Believe me, if we ever decide to spring for a suite, we'll be sitting in those deck chairs!!

You may change your mind once you see where they are located. They are not exactly premium seats as they have busy stairs going up to the bar that go right by that area. (Very public seating). If you like to see the activities they have in the middle they are not very good viewing for that. Side pool seats are much better for that. If you are traveling with anyone who is not in a suite, they will not be able to use those chairs, so a lot of suite guests will certainly bypass them for that reason alone.

Dear Crown and Anchor,

We’ve been looking at the Splendor of the Seas for Sept 2010, Junior Suite ($6,500.00) who just booked a Grand Suite on the Enchantment of the Seas in November for 5 nights. ($500.00 per night.) We usually sail 4 times a year and have never sailed Princess. But they have a trip departing 15 minutes from my house for 8 nights around the same time as the Enchantment trip. We can get a suite for around the same price. Please see below and tell me why we should stay with RCCL

No more newspapers

No more mints

No more stock dividend

Cutbacks in food quality

Dinnig Room steak fee

No C&A gifts below D+

No combining stockholder / diamond discounts, even though one has absolutely nothing to do with the other

Thank You,

XXXXXX XXXXXXX

Account Number XXXXXXXX

Good Job. And coming from a Diamond Plus member it just might get their attention!

You make excellent points. We also went to some extra effort to be Diamond and really had not considered all the "take aways" or "increases" which RC has applied to its customers with the CL being only a small part of the larger picture. We had previously noted that some other lines have better and less reduncy in their port of calls but stayed with RC because of the percieved advantages of being repeat customers. Not from an anger standpoint but rather a good business decision we are now going to use other lines since there are more advantages in seeing different ports and receiving some additional perks than any considerations we would get from RC for being repeat customers.

Dear Crown and Anchor,

No more newspapers

No more mints

No more stock dividend

Cutbacks in food quality

Dinnig Room steak fee

No C&A gifts below D+

Thank You,

XXXXXX XXXXXXX

Account Number XXXXXXXX

A most excellent letter!!!!!! Very well said!

Dhaden, some posters like to mock, taunt and generalize. After just making Diamond plus, some posters blame Diamonds alone for their losing the CL because of supposed abuse of priviliges. Repeatedly stating that it is about "free drinks" makes some feel smug because apparently it IS about the free drinks for those that still have CL privileges. Sailer is only 1 cruise point away from being just Diamond and is most vocal unlike 99.5% of other Diamond plus posters that have class, graciousness and the intellect to keep their mouths shut on a subject that does not pertain to them.

Some posters claim to have sympathy for the Diamonds yet speak differently. Having been "trained" to see both sides of an issue they continue to argue both sides which is just bizarre to me. :confused:

I find your comments to be even handed and fair Dhaden.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, I have enough class, graciousness and intellect to stop me from personally insulting you as you have done me!!! You wouldn't know the meaning of any of the first three adjectives, if they hit you on the head!!!

Another poster said that he found me most courteous in my replies - and that in spite of extreme provocation.:p You?

I actually got up off my b*m and and did something and Diamonds were then admitted to the CL on the Brilliance. What have you actually done apart from firing up others on here and sending off e-mails? Get on the 'phone - spend a few bucks and try to get through the 'ring of steel' surrounding the top execs. It can be done - I did it when I needed to. But of course, then you wouldn't be on here firing up others!!

Whilst I may not be flavour of the month with the Execs at RCCL, it seems that my ability to see the problems facing RCCL, are not respected by you either.

I also put my money where my mouth is and that is why we have made diamond plus in a short space of time. 24 cruises 10 days + in just a few years. Also Elite on Celebrity.

I would point out that just because passengers are Diamond Plus, doesn't mean that they can't have an opinion. And apart from the CL, we have lost many benefits also.

I also don't think that RCCL will lose many passengers. Celebrity does not have a CL and people don't ostracize that line!! RCCL have lovely ships -most defectors will be back!! After all, unless they pay for a suite on other ships, they won't get a Concierge Lounge either!! And the ships are not as nice.

Anyway, Diamonds have their own Lounge, with all the trimmings, on the Freedom Class and Oasis. Those who miss the CL so much, can go on those ships - their choice. Its there for the taking!!

As a Plusser, I fully expect to lose the use of the CL in the future, when the rules change again. I shall then possibly use another cruise line - but I won't write to complain, go on and on about it here - getting on for 300 pages guys!!! I certainly complained and took action when the Brilliance banned Diamonds (except me:D), because that was not Company Policy at that time. Now it is!!

QUOTE]

Well then why are you a major contributer (go on and on about it, as you put it) to the 300 pages here? You don't find ridiculing us about that a bit hypocritical?

Diamond Membership Proposed Changes

4. Make diamond membership 10 x 7 nights or 70 nights instead of 10 cruises.

5. Make diamond plus 25 x 7 nights or 175 nights and so on.

6. This makes it fairer to all worldwide customers and the company.

11.I said enough on this, come on RCI revisit this before disaster strike. You still have time...........

Happy cruising.

Scotland...........well put!!

Question...........do you re invent the wheel, and start a new program with your suggestions, or..........do you "grandfather" in those that are already D or D+?

Also, one thing that I would recommend to RCCL, is that they only count those that have actually sailed on a RCCL ship..........not everyone in the household.

There are D and D+ out there that have only cruised once!

I agree that RCCL can retain or have returning D cruisers if they had gone about this differently!

Rick

Let's look at this from RCI's point of view, since many of you are saying that they are forgetting their "loyal" customers.

Sure, they are taking something away for now, but don't you think that they are trying to encourage you to sail with them more to get to the highest level within C&A and receive those additional benefits.

Hahaha. Respectfully Patti, no. I think they would like people to be encouraged to continue working their way back up the loyalty level AGAIN, but I don't think we are wired that way, we have other choices. I am very close to D+ but don't feel any encouragement to chase D+ as I had in the past.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, I have enough class, graciousness and intellect to stop me from personally insulting you as you have done me!!! You wouldn't know the meaning of any of the first three adjectives, if they hit you on the head!!!

Another poster said that he found me most courteous in my replies - and that in spite of extreme provocation.:p You?

I actually got up off my b*m and and did something and Diamonds were then admitted to the CL on the Brilliance. What have you actually done apart from firing up others on here and sending off e-mails? Get on the 'phone - spend a few bucks and try to get through the 'ring of steel' surrounding the top execs. It can be done - I did it when I needed to. But of course, then you wouldn't be on here firing up others!!

Whilst I may not be flavour of the month with the Execs at RCCL, it seems that my ability to see the problems facing RCCL, are not respected by you either.

I also put my money where my mouth is and that is why we have made diamond plus in a short space of time. 24 cruises 10 days + in just a few years. Also Elite on Celebrity.

I would point out that just because passengers are Diamond Plus, doesn't mean that they can't have an opinion. And apart from the CL, we have lost many benefits also.

I also don't think that RCCL will lose many passengers. Celebrity does not have a CL and people don't ostracize that line!! RCCL have lovely ships -most defectors will be back!! After all, unless they pay for a suite on other ships, they won't get a Concierge Lounge either!! And the ships are not as nice.

Anyway, Diamonds have their own Lounge, with all the trimmings, on the Freedom Class and Oasis. Those who miss the CL so much, can go on those ships - their choice. Its there for the taking!!

Could you please inform us as to what benefits D+ has lost. I am not talking about the standard cutbacks for everyone ( i.e. welcome back parties), but has D+ lost any particular benefits. Did D+ get the same letter from C & A that all of the Diamonds got.

Thanks

there are others who are acting equally irrational. But to each their own -

IMO the only irrational behavior I can see is being eager to spend thousands of dollars to travel with a company who couldn't give a flying rats a$$ about their repeat and loyal customers.

What if I don't want to cruise on their floating cities and want to stick to the smaller Radiance class ships? I apparently have to book a suite to get the same level of benefits?

My rational thought process is simply that I thought all cabins onboard the ship got to the port at the same time, so why not spend less for a cabin to travel on the same voyage?

But you're right, to each their own.

Hahaha. Respectfully Patti, no. I think they would like people to be encouraged to continue working their way back up the loyalty level AGAIN, but I don't think we are wired that way, we have other choices. I am very close to D+ but don't feel any encouragement to chase D+ as I had in the past.

I agree, I would not be tempted to sail and get one more cruise credit under the assumption, that once at the next level, for us D+, that those benefits would be there after choosing RCCL over the next couple of years to the exclusion of other cruise lines. We are about halfway to D+, so the benefit changes are a bigger cost problem for RCCL in our case since we would have to sail with RCCL a lot exclusively to get to D+. We use to sail RCCL exclusively, in part to reach Diamond and enjoy those benefits. Still like RCCL and will still sail RCCL

CruiseKeeper and ShipshapeSam, I'm agree with you.

We have our NextCruise booking assigned to the Radiance and will keep it because we don't want RCCL to keep our non refundable deposit. Of course we'll have a good time on the cruise, its a vacation after all.

But DH and I both are not in a huge hurry to spend our Son's college savings on future RCCL cruises to chase the dangling carrot of the D+ status. Because we're related to Murphy, and once we attained that new status level, you know TPTB will just change the benefits all over again!

Archived