Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

Could you please inform us as to what benefits D+ has lost. I am not talking about the standard cutbacks for everyone ( i.e. welcome back parties), but has D+ lost any particular benefits. Did D+ get the same letter from C & A that all of the Diamonds got.

Thanks

Exactly - ALL the standard cutbacks, no combining obc's - as a stockholder, that is like comparing chalk and cheese. We were tempted to buy stock with obc. Obviously, not a good business decision, but many of us did it.

The ONLY one we didn't lose is the CL - and that will probably happen in the future. I am taunting no-one - how on earth can you say that when I actually DID something - I got Diamonds admitted to the CL when on the Brilliance recently. What have you done apart from agitating other people? It is an irritation, not a major catastrophe!!! Get it all in perspective - we are in a major recession - protest if you want, but I think some people on here are blowing this out of all proportion and winding others up. They will get all wound up, go on other cruises which they most likely will find they don't enjoy as much as RCCL and then return to Royal's pretty ships.

I DON'T agree with the way RCCL has done nothing to mitigate the loss of the CL to Diamond members. BUT I do see that SOMETHING had to be done!!

If this is taunting you all, then I suggest you buy a British Dictionary!!

Here's a copy of me E-mail to RCCL,

Dear Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Society Benefit Decision Making Executives,

I am compelled to respond to your Crown & Anchor Society Benefit changes effective July 1, 2009. Thank you for your Slap in the Face.

After many years and many cruises with RC, I have finally reached Diamond level with the completion of my last cruise. Now at age 65, retired and anticipating future cruises with greater benefits, bam, you changed the rules of the game. This Loyalty benefit of the Crown & Anchor Society, to partake in the services and amenities of the Concierge Club, is now only for the Diamond Plus level members. We lowly Diamond level member are left as loyal dogs peering through the butcher shop window.

Now for that privilege I must: a) complete 15 more cruises with RC, or b) reserve a Grand Suite or above. Assuming I take one cruise a year for the next 15 years, at age 80, in the year 2024, you might allow me in the Club. Providing RC doesn't change the rules or the good Lord doesn't call me to his own The Nation Of Why Not first.

I know I shouldn't complain. You have provided an opportunity for us lowly Diamonds (as well as even first time RC guests) to pass though those ever allusive Concierge Club doors. All we have to do is book passage in a Grand Suite or larger. This seems to me as if RC is asking me to buy the privilege that I have already earned with my years of loyalty and that has now been flippantly taken away.

I do realize that you have provided me with my very own "Diamond Lounge" on your Freedom Class ships, as well as the newest and biggest Oasis and Allure of the Seas. Thanks, but just maybe some or many of us lowly Diamonds may not want to be on a ship with 3000+ to 5000+ guests. Also, a "lounge" just doesn't sound as privileged as a "Club". Can those big, big ships even go where I might want to go?

However, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate RC on its success. I can tell you are successful by the explanation expressed on your website. Specifically, those explaining the changes for the accessibility to the Concierge Club. They being: "Due to limited capacity", "growing membership", and "is challenging our ability to provide the optimum experience for our guests"; great copy.If true, this only confirms to me how many loyal Diamond members you must have, and most likely will now be so disappointed with the downgrading of their benefits.

It also appears that RC's solution to the "challenge" was not to providing larger accommodating facilities, but rather to thin out a portion of their loyal Diamond members by raising the access requirements. However, at the same time keeping the doors open, to those now excluded lowly Diamonds, and also new guests, by providing complimentary Concierge Club services for the new "Enhanced Program for Suite Guests". And you don't even include the Junior Suite, wow! We can surmise the motivating factor in this decision. I'll wager with your current ability to accumulate and evaluate guest information, you know exactly when a loyal member will return diminishing revenues verses benefits granted and therefore be unconscionably compelled to provide more revenue or be thrown overboard.

Finally, though, I do wish to thank you for the enhanced benefits such as the New Ultimate Value Booklet, which yet remains to be seen as a value (better to be labeled as a discount booklet), (a free cocktail rather than just a beer would be nice); the upgraded wine tasting event,("at a special price"?) and of course the "New Special Event" for Diamond level and above members. On past cruises there were two special events. One a Welcome Back event for all Crown & Anchor Society members (Gold and above) and a second for Platinum and above Society members. Will there still be two, with the Platinum members attending only the Welcome Back event? Seems to be a logical step considering your other decisions. Why should only the lowly Diamonds suffer?

Well, should I join the "Nation of Why Not" again and attend the Special Event for Diamonds, I hope I don't make friends with a Diamond Plus members and have to decline an invitation to meet in the Concierge Club before Dinner. How embarrassing and demeaning would that be?

In closing, I would just like to wish you success in filling all those suites and of course in trying to keep all your lowly Diamond Society members, who are probably as disappointed as I am. Thank you for showing us just how much to really care. A very disappointed...........

p.s. I have waited three days before sending this E-mail. I wanted to be sure I wasn't being to quick to judge. However, in the mean time I've been reading postings on several web sites concerning your benefit changes. Indeed in appears that I'm not alone in my disappointment. If you are not going to reverse this decision, possible you should review the comments being posted. You may even find some very interesting alternate solutions. I sincerely hope you don't lose all those "loyal" members. Don't forget, even Coca Cola knew when to throw in the towel over their "New Coke" idea.

Getting "embarrassed and demeaned" by not being qualified for a loyalty perk???????????? :rolleyes: kind of pathetic don't you think? :confused:

I think you may need to regroup and reprioritize what is important in life.....a cruise perk IS NOT ONE OF THEM!!! :eek:

Exactly - ALL the standard cutbacks, no combining obc's - as a stockholder, that is like comparing chalk and cheese. We were tempted to buy stock with obc. Obviously, not a good business decision, but many of us did it.

The ONLY one we didn't lose is the CL - and that will probably happen in the future. I am taunting no-one - how on earth can you say that when I actually DID something - I got Diamonds admitted to the CL when on the Brilliance recently. What have you done apart from agitating other people? It is an irritation, not a major catastrophe!!! Get it all in perspective - we are in a major recession - protest if you want, but I think some people on here are blowing this out of all proportion and winding others up. They will get all wound up, go on other cruises which they most likely will find they don't enjoy as much as RCCL and then return to Royal's pretty ships.

I DON'T agree with the way RCCL has done nothing to mitigate the loss of the CL to Diamond members. BUT I do see that SOMETHING had to be done!!

I was asking a question, not trying to taunt or acusing anyone of taunting. I did NOT know what you meant when you said D+ has lost benefits also. I did NOT know what thoses benefits were. (i.e the standard ones, as you listed that everyone else lost). I am sorry if you thought I was taunting you - I was not, I was asking a question, I even said "thanks".

Hahaha. Respectfully Patti, no. I think they would like people to be encouraged to continue working their way back up the loyalty level AGAIN, but I don't think we are wired that way, we have other choices. I am very close to D+ but don't feel any encouragement to chase D+ as I had in the past.

We like you are also just a few cruises away from D+, in fact we could go to Miami do two 3 days and one 4 day and we would have D+, but I said a few months ago when this was being hinted around. They I would cruise no more with RCL. For now I am going to keep that statment true, one day just like today they will be too many D+'s and They can worrry then, by then I would have cruise many times with some other line.:D

I posted this on the "Join My Letter Writing Campaign" thread and thought I would copy it to here for all to see:

I recieved a phone call today from a Nicole who said she "represented Richard Fain" and was calling in response to the letter I mailed him. (see post #40 on this thread for a copy of that letter)

She told me she was asked to call because, "Mr. Fain is taking this very seriously, and the Overwhelming response to their changes by the Diamond members has caused him to want to study the situation more."

The phone call was recorded "for quality and customer service puposes" and I thanked her for doing so because I wanted him to actually hear what I had to say.

I told her that the main complaint was how RCI has "renigged" on the bargain/contract that they asked me join.

"If you cruise with us 10 times (spend $20-30 THOUSAND of your dollars with us) then we will give you access to the C.L." I fullfilled my part of the bargain and now RCI is backing out on paying their part. (also told her it's the same thing with the Stock Purchase for OBC)

I also told her that the Concierge Lounge and service throughout the day was what we enjoyed and appreciated. It's not just the "Free Drinks" - I don't even drink that much and my wife doesn't drink at all.

If RCI is concerned with the "Crowding" of the C.L. then the problem has already been solved. We love the Radiance Class ships, and they have a designated part of the Viking Crown Lounge set aside for "overflow", and this works out great. Why don't they just continue that program????

If RCI is concerned with the cost of the free drinks, then they need to rethink and look at lost bookings costing them a lot more than what they are going to save.

She might have been a "telemarketer" to just make me think they care, or she may have been the "real deal" and maybe Mr. Fain is really going to look at all his "NEW INFORMATION" and make a NEW DECISION.

There is still hope. ;)

You may change your mind once you see where they are located. They are not exactly premium seats as they have busy stairs going up to the bar that go right by that area. (Very public seating). If you like to see the activities they have in the middle they are not very good viewing for that. Side pool seats are much better for that. If you are traveling with anyone who is not in a suite, they will not be able to use those chairs, so a lot of suite guests will certainly bypass them for that reason alone.

I saw where they were on Liberty, I think they were in a good location for sun and observation. Less traffic on the stairs than in front of chairs on the main pool deck!! Don't know about other ships, though. Doesn't really matter, since we probably won't be sailing in suites anytime soon! The only reason we would, is if we had a large enough group to fill one of the big ones ... and then, we'd all be able to sit together in the RESERVED SPECIAL SECTION. ;):)

Ever go to a funeral, walked up to the bereaved family and say "I'm sorry, BUT."

A long time has passed since "Diamonds that abused the privilege were served right" to to the saintly saving of all the diamonds on the Brilliance. Read my posts on this thread again. I have spent more time chastising people that comment unfairly by making generalizations than stirring the pot against RCI. How many times have you said it's all about the "free drinks" no matter how many who tell you that it isn't.

If it agitates you that I point out your many inconsistencies and generalizations, then, I can understand that, but I don't understand "I'm sorry, BUT." Either you are or you aren't and I don't think you are.

CruiseKeeper and ShipshapeSam, I'm agree with you.

We have our NextCruise booking assigned to the Radiance and will keep it because we don't want RCCL to keep our non refundable deposit. Of course we'll have a good time on the cruise, its a vacation after all.

But DH and I both are not in a huge hurry to spend our Son's college savings on future RCCL cruises to chase the dangling carrot of the D+ status. Because we're related to Murphy, and once we attained that new status level, you know TPTB will just change the benefits all over again!

Especially given your location and the lack of DL's in your area, it is certainly understandable your reluctance to climb to that ever changing status level AGAIN. :( As so many have pointed out, it's in the fine print, they can change the loyalty program any time they want. So, you are Irish too, huh. :D

I posted this on the "Join My Letter Writing Campaign" thread and thought I would copy it to here for all to see:

I recieved a phone call today from a Nicole who said she "represented Richard Fain" and was calling in response to the letter I mailed him. (see post #40 on this thread for a copy of that letter)

She told me she was asked to call because, "Mr. Fain is taking this very seriously, and the Overwhelming response to their changes by the Diamond members has caused him to want to study the situation more."

The phone call was recorded "for quality and customer service puposes" and I thanked her for doing so because I wanted him to actually hear what I had to say.

I told her that the main complaint was how RCI has "renigged" on the bargain/contract that they asked me join.

"If you cruise with us 10 times (spend $20-30 THOUSAND of your dollars with us) then we will give you access to the C.L." I fullfilled my part of the bargain and now RCI is backing out on paying their part. (also told her it's the same thing with the Stock Purchase for OBC)

I also told her that the Concierge Lounge and service throughout the day was what we enjoyed and appreciated. It's not just the "Free Drinks" - I don't even drink that much and my wife doesn't drink at all.

If RCI is concerned with the "Crowding" of the C.L. then the problem has already been solved. We love the Radiance Class ships, and they have a designated part of the Viking Crown Lounge set aside for "overflow", and this works out great. Why don't they just continue that program????

If RCI is concerned with the cost of the free drinks, then they need to rethink and look at lost bookings costing them a lot more than what they are going to save.

She might have been a "telemarketer" to just make me think they care, or she may have been the "real deal" and maybe Mr. Fain is really going to look at all his "NEW INFORMATION" and make a NEW DECISION.

There is still hope. ;)

This is a very promising turn of events--possibly..

I will send my e-mail in hopes that the issue is still up for re-consideration. I believed all along they did not understand how much this benefit meant to the Diamonds.

The special evening get together (for us in the Hollywood Odyssey) was a great way to meet seasoned cruisers; & going into the CL during the day to chat or use the computers or grab a snack was also appreciated.

Of course they are following this thread...do they care that so many people are angry.....doubt it or they wouldn't have made such a poor marketing decision especially at a time when many are cutting back on expenses and vacations are expensive.

It's obvious they looked at Carnival and decided that with their young, party hardy, drinking crowd they could increase their appeal by emulating them. With rock climbing walls, in-line skating, and now zip line rides of all things, they are trying to lure a whole new group of passengers. All this is begining to remind me of an amusment park:eek: and frankly, if I wanted that type of circus atmosphere I would just go to one of them instead of taking a cruise that costs significantly more.

If I were the type of cruiser that spent many thousands of dollars for some of the suites they offer, I would prefer to cruise on one of the luxury lines that offer more personalized service, superior food, and more interesting itineraries.:) Luxury cruising would also offer a cruise without a lot of rowdy boozing adults who refuse to contain their screaming and obnoxious children.:(

So, now that they've eliminated so many things we long time RCCL cruises have come to expect in addition to the loss of the so called loyalty perks, combined with the fact they they hardly offer the best deals, it will remain to be seen if their decision pays off or they will suffer the consequences of passenger defections.

Your right. It does seem that RC is gearing their cruises more to the "amusements" than to a more luxury cruise. No offense to Carnival people, but if I wanted a Carnival cruise, I would be diamond with Carnival. My first cruise was on Carnival and it was so bad, it took my husband 10 years to convince me to go on another cruise. I vowed I would never go on a cruise again. But I love RC when we first started cruising.

I sent a similar E-mail. This is the responce I received.

They must have missed the part where I told them we had two future cruises booked with them or, this is a canned responce with our name tossed in at a couple of place to make it appear personalized.

I understand the limited capacity of the CL. I also understand that they would open up overflow area's in some of the other lounges to accomadate those crowds. So the limited space arguement is lost on me. It looks more like a cost cutting move to me.

I look at it this way. I wouldn't expect a fireplace to put out heat if I didn't toss some wood to burn into it first. With RCI, I've tossed 10 sticks of wood into them (the required number of cruise credits to reach Diamone status) expecting a return of some heat. Looks like all that's happened is we've been burned.

I've said this before but, I'm not going to have the knee jerk responce of saying I'll never book with RCI again. I did look at other options for our Med cruise but, there was no savings to be had by changing lines at this point so, why cut our nose off to spite our face. I'm also holding on to our Oasis cruise since that cruise is all about the ship and not the ports.

However, all of the ships with the Diamond lounges are in the Caribbean. We're not huge Caribbean fans prefering to sail Alaska and the Med. RCI has even diminished their offerings to Alaska this next year and, there are many options with other lines for Med cruises. In the past, we've really shopped ONLY Royal Caribbean for our cruising needs. Now we'll look more towards Carnival and Princess, lines that are sailed by other family members.

There had been sort of a mini-war between family members as to which cruise line was the best. Our ammunition was the Crown and Anchor benefits. Over the last year or so, RCI ahas taken away that ammunition. It's not that other cruise lines are better than RCI. It's that RCI is getting to the point where they aren't any better than any other cruise line. When I'm booking a cruise, that makes all the difference in the world.

Thats a brush off letter if I ever saw one

So we can ignore the official e-mail from RCI and accept a verbal statement from an RCI Customer Rep? RCI Customer Service has a very poor reputation on these boards and my own experience with them is that they are very poorly prepared.

There's no reading between the lines on the e-mail, it's a one time event.

Since one can't prove what someone says, unless of course it's recorded, I'd go with the written word.

The e-mail does not explicitly state it is a one-time event. It says a "new event" but the CL happy hour is a single event occuring nightly. Again, perhaps people are reading too far into the e-mail and are negatively biased without considering the alternative.

I think we are reading the email exactly as it was intended to read. A one time event means exactly that......don't get your hopes up.

Stockholders stillget onboard credits as far as I know. We are sailing on Visionand are getting our on board credits. But, we will not be able to use our credit for future booking. How's that for rewarding loyalty

There is still hope. ;)

I've gotten calls back from in response to emails I have sent to Richard Fain over the years (I like to let the corporate office know about outstanding crew-members). The folks who have called me back have been in customer relations -- I think that was probably the case with "Nicole" rather than her being a telemarketer.

You bring up about sitting in the suite section of deck chairs - we never book anything higher than a balcony, but if it were me, the last thing I would want in these current economic times is a section of seating that would distinguish me as an excessive spender. I would feel embarassed. Even at home I don't like to discuss the number of cruises/vacations we take when we have neighbors that heve lost their jobs. Am I the only one that feels like that?

I totally agree. I defin would NOT sit in a segregated area for suite people. I would feel singled out and that everyone was glaring at me! I am prolly paranoid, but its really no ones business what category cabin I am in.

"It's not that other cruise lines are better than RCI. It's that RCI is getting to the point where they aren't any better than any other cruise line."

I like that, and I will use it in my letter as well. (If you don't mind) I still like the look of the ships, the Ikea color scheme and the friendliness of the crew. But, really those things are available on any of the other popular lines. Royal Caribbean was special for us because because of the loyalty program and all of the other little special things. It "felt" like we were appreciated. I didn't realize that it was just phony advertising and marketing.

I haven't seen it mentioned recently...the suite passengers will still receive chocolate. The rest of us will have to bring our own.

And I also like Leph's comment about all cabins arriving at the port at the same time. It is a choice as to how we spend our hard earned vacation dollars. Everyone has really outstanding comments. I sincerely hope that Royal Caribbean will reconsider their decision to exclude Diamond members.

Somewhere in these threads I read a note that asked why 3 or 4 night cruises should build up and qualify someone for diamond in an expedited fashion. We live a couple of hours from one of the main ports and for the first time decided to take a 3 day RCL (could probably have been any line?) cruise just to get away for some rest and relaxation. We always book either a balcony or Jr Suite so this was new to us. Let me say that I am convinced that if anyone can stand a 3 day cruises where it is just one big party with a lot of people over drinking, lots of kids running through the ship and pushing everyone like a line at a Hip Hop concert then they darn well deserve Diamond. We would never take a 3 or 4 day cruise again as the atmosphere was condusive to a down town bar on new years eve. We docked at one port and upon return a couple of guys were trying to almost carry a drunk back on the ship while security laughed.

This all makes me so sad. My family and I just returned from a RCCL crise 2 wks ago.We are diamond members. We were able to enjoy the CL for the first time this past cruise. We were made to feel special due to our loyalty to RCI. Living in the midwest, it is difficult to rack up cruises. I do think it is unfair that a 3 night cruise has equal value to a 11 night. If RCI added up our sea-nights instead of the number of cruises, we would be much closer to D+.

Anyway, this is the first time in many years we don't have a future cruise booked. We chose not to book another cruise on our last trip when we were told we couldn't combine discounts. What is the point giving a stuggling company a deposit to sit on that we could lose. I felt RCCL was more solvent earlier in the year. After hearing about the building of a 2nd mega-ship and the thousands of loyal customers who plan on leaving, I am unsure of RCCL's finacial future.

It seems to me it would be a better business plan to give your loyal return customers more incentive to book again and continue to spread the companie's praises to friends and family.

I agree with you! It has been a very long time that I have not had 2 cruises booked at a time, so we are leaving on Freedom in 3 weeks and I have not booked another yet(depending on the Bucs schedule:D). Booking with RCCL is a no brainer until 2 weeks ago and now we will look at other lines. I'm sure I will cruise on RCCL again........ but unless it is some outrageously cheap cruise, I will book another line.:(

Honestly, it might be a good thing to try other cruise lines because I might find one I like more. I just don't know because we have never tried?

Our only cruise, not with RCCL, was w/Princess to Alaska many years ago and we felt very young(could be a good thing now:D).

Only time will tell........?

Dear Crown and Anchor,

I’m A Diamond Plus Member

We’ve been looking at the Splendor of the Seas for Sept 2010, Junior Suite ($6,500.00) who just booked a Grand Suite on the Enchantment of the Seas in November for 5 nights. ($500.00 per night.) We usually sail 4 times a year and have never sailed Princess. But they have a trip departing 15 minutes from my house for 8 nights around the same time as the Enchantment trip. We can get a suite for around the same price. Please see below and tell me why we should stay with RCCL

No more newspapers

No more mints

no more late night buffet

No more shipshape / vitality program

No more stock dividend

No more daily lunches in the MDR (sea days only)

No more daily or gala midnight buffets

Johnny Rockets fee increase

Late nite room service fee

No more in-cabin liquor purchase w/ fee

No more bringing wine onboard

No more morning ice service

No in-room beach towel service

New fee for drinks at the Captain’s “cocktail” reception

No more C&A welcome back party

Beer and wine (only) at the new Diamond reception

Cutbacks in food quality

Dinnig Room steak fee

No more free photo coupon

No C&A gifts below D+

No combining stockholder / diamond discounts, even though one has absolutely nothing to do with the other

no overflow Diamond bar (see below)

Of course, last but not least: No CL access for diamonds

Thank You,

XXXXXX XXXXXXX

Account Number XXXXXXXX

I Just sent this to the C and A

thank you for writing this.

my thouts exactly.

And I'm sure the Diamond plusses and suite passengers have never sneaked their friends in either or asked that they be admitted--it was just the Diamonds doing it that overwhelmed the CL's. As for priority boarding, I have on several occasions gone my separate way to that line only to have my non-priority passenger friends beat me through their line.

Tucker in Texas

Tucker, I said PEOPLE, I did not single out Diamonds for abusing the perk.

One of the problems is that people WERE bringing friends and family into the CL's/overflows with them as they were introducing them to cruising. How many times have we read of people doing that on CC? Numerous.

I am a diamond member and have enjoyed the cl and diamond lounge. I'm in a w/c and the highest level h/c room doesn't qualify me for the cl. Seems discriminatory to me. I wonder what the PVA will have to say about this.

I'm sorry....I don't understand your acronyms? I keep reading your post and only thinking water closet (loo) for w/c.??? I still can't connect a definition of h/c or PVA? I am curious...and it sounds as though you are as disappointed as the rest of us are. :)

We like you are also just a few cruises away from D+, in fact we could go to Miami do two 3 days and one 4 day and we would have D+, but I said a few months ago when this was being hinted around. They I would cruise no more with RCL. For now I am going to keep that statment true, one day just like today they will be too many D+'s and They can worrry then, by then I would have cruise many times with some other line.:D

We have 21 cruise credits like you we could go on the Majesty three days in a JS and the other in another suite to make D+. Like you I feel no urgency since I feel the next group to be effected will be D+.

Archived