Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

I have never had a bad cruise, this includes CCL, NCL, Princess, or X. Some are better value then others , I have used RCCL in the past without considering other cruise lines. Without the Diamond Benefits this levels the playing field.

I have not seen too many people post that they have been miserable on their cruise, rather the fact they are upset with a policy to me there is a difference.

I think there are 3000 here anticipating misery on a cruise.;)

I am sure it is diappointing to the many Diamond members that no longer have this perk. But any cruise line loyalty progam is subject to immedate change. So no matter what line you try, they too may change their program at any time. I guess a lot of other businessess are also trying to figure out ways to cutback.

Good luck and I hope you find a cruise line that you will be happy with, maybe one that promises never to change their loyalty programs? Let us know if you find one that will make that promise. We all might be interested in that line too.

Annieeee

Unfortunately, Colleen, you just don't seem to get it!! There are just too many Diamonds - ....blah blah blah

..... For most Diamonds - its all about the free drinks!!

No, Sailer;

YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!!

It's NOT "all about the free drinks!!" People on here have said that over and over again. It's about ALL the cut-backs and broken promises from RCI. The Concierge and the service provided by him/her, the lounge availability during the morning and all day as well into the late night are all what it is about.

"I believe Royal might loose some Diamonds however it is a big world out there and like they say in the business world "Everyone is replaceable"

Is that really what they say? I run a business and I've never said that, not even once.

I also run my own business and have not said that however many companies out there do. :(

The ones that are in the process of going out of business are the ones who do.

Also we find that very few suite guests have been in the lounges when we have been there. Maybe we just miss them but my hubby usually meets almost everyone !

That's probably because, if they are like us, they walked to the lounge saw the huge mob of people, tried to get a drink, tried to find a place to sit and said to heck with it; we'll go somewhere we can actually get a drink, sit down and enjoy it. I firmly believe this is why this change was made, I know I have shared my feedback regarding the CL on past sailings, it's a big joke as far as being a perk to suite guests when you can barely get in the door in the evening during coctail hours.

I do feel for the diamond members as they feel that the rug has been pulled out from under them; but honestly what are they supposed to do? I think anyone that has been in the lounge in the evening will admit it's way over crowded; something had to give.

You bring up about sitting in the suite section of deck chairs - we never book anything higher than a balcony, but if it were me, the last thing I would want in these current economic times is a section of seating that would distinguish me as an excessive spender. I would feel embarassed. Even at home I don't like to discuss the number of cruises/vacations we take when we have neighbors that heve lost their jobs. Am I the only one that feels like that?

You have no idea how hysterical it is to label the Chews as "excessive spenders" I didn't say we DID book suites, I said that if we ever did we would certainly use the seats.

I very much doubt that many people around the pool deck spend their time pointing to & sniggling about the folks in the reserved section. We've had to hunt for our chairs, too, but don't begrudge the "suite-ees" their perks. We don't begrudge the diamonds their perks, either, but recognize that they are PERKS not ENTITLEMENTS. We certainly haven't picked our RCL cruises on the basis of future perks, especially as we understand the nature of perks - they can be given, taken or altered at any time, by will of the company which offers them.

It's all about the economics!!

I did read on one of the other threads that some folks have been contacted by RCL and told that perhaps the Powers That Be may reconsider this change, based on the contacts they have received from unhappy cruisers. Power to the People!! :)

So you canceled a Royal Family suite and booked a balcony & inside cabin.

How does that hurt RCCL?

Now they have the FRS available and have booked two more cabins.

If you wanted to save the $$ why didnt you book it that way the first time? Now by not having the FRS you dont get CL either.

You Show Em!!

They do check your card when you enter the first time, but not after that. And I've seen Diamond Members bring in friends to "show off". The staff may not want to offend or embarrass anyone so they put up with it.

I'm sure it has happened just as I am sure that some suite passengers have been equally guilty of such actions. Whoever did so, shares some of the responsibility for the overcrowding, but as others have said, the overcrowding issue made this action by RCI pretty inevitable and RCI shares some of the responsibility as well by conferring diamond status on many who did little or nothing on their own to earn it.

You booked that ship because you like the CL:confused::confused::eek::eek:

No..we book the VOYAGER of the SEAS because it is based out of Galveston, and, our cruising friends live near there.

I enjoy (ed) the Concierge Lounge that ship has (had) for us.

Susan does not drink but, she enjoyed the CL every evening as I did,

for the socializing with our C.C. friends. Alot of us met there at 5 PM before our early dinner seatings.

We booked a b-2-b for next January because we did not care for 7 day cruises...we prefer more time at sea..so, we did a b-2-b VOS booking

next January. We booked those cruises before the recent cuts of

Diamond amenities. Whether we will hold on to those 2 cruises

remains to be seen. We might do something else next January.

You have no idea how hysterical it is to label the Chews as "excessive spenders" I didn't say we DID book suites, I said that if we ever did we would certainly use the seats.

I very much doubt that many people around the pool deck spend their time pointing to & sniggling about the folks in the reserved section. We've had to hunt for our chairs, too, but don't begrudge the "suite-ees" their perks. We don't begrudge the diamonds their perks, either, but recognize that they are PERKS not ENTITLEMENTS. We certainly haven't picked our RCL cruises on the basis of future perks, especially as we understand the nature of perks - they can be given, taken or altered at any time, by will of the company which offers them.

It's all about the economics!!

I did read on one of the other threads that some folks have been contacted by RCL and told that perhaps the Powers That Be may reconsider this change, based on the contacts they have received from unhappy cruisers. Power to the People!! :)

Didn't mean you personally, and maybe its just my nature that I wouldn't want to be identified in that manner. However, even though I realize that the great majority of suite guests are probably wonderful people, don't forget that RC claims that this mess was brought about by complaints by the "rightful" users of the CL -i.e. Suites Guests. So, I wouldn't be surprised that there might be some less than cordial feelings toward this group.

No, Sailer;

YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!!

It's NOT "all about the free drinks!!" People on here have said that over and over again. It's about ALL the cut-backs and broken promises from RCI. The Concierge and the service provided by him/her, the lounge availability during the morning and all day as well into the late night are all what it is about.

Oh come on!! We are ALL receiving the cutbacks (or not receiving:D:D!!) But the Diamonds are additionally receiving the CL withdrawal. Just one more thing - but I have to respectfully disagree and say, in most cases, its all about the free booze. We don't drink, just sit there and watch the large amounts of liquor many are consuming!! Some of whom have no right to even be there. Some like us, use it for breakfast or during the day, but most in the pm - evidenced by the fact that it is hardly used during the day, but a zoo in the evening!!

And I am not stirring anything up - just debating the actions of a Company in which I am a Shareholder!! I am not hiding the fact that I am enjoying this thread - it is always stimulating to be involved in different points of view. If people want to criticise or complain ........fine by me!! But they can't expect to have it all their own way!! This is a forum - an exchange of ideas.

I have tried to be courteous to all and not to rise to insults and ridiculous statements. As a Plusser, I fully expect to lose the use of the CL in the future, when the rules change again. I shall then possibly use another cruise line - but I won't write to complain, go on and on about it here - getting on for 300 pages guys!!! I certainly complained and took action when the Brilliance banned Diamonds (except me:D), because that was not Company Policy at that time. Now it is!!

And you can rest assured, that no insult or untruth that is thrown at me, will make me desert this intriguing thread.

I have never had a bad cruise, this includes CCL, NCL, Princess, or X. Some are better value then others , I have used RCCL in the past without considering other cruise lines. Without the Diamond Benefits this levels the playing field.

I have not seen too many people post that they have been miserable on their cruise, rather the fact they are upset with a policy to me there is a difference.

There is no such thing as a BAD cruise, SOME are just better than others. RCI's perks were better than others. Now they are not.

Tucker in Texas

No, Sailer;

YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!!

Dhaden, some posters like to mock, taunt and generalize. After just making Diamond plus, some posters blame Diamonds alone for their losing the CL because of supposed abuse of priviliges. Repeatedly stating that it is about "free drinks" makes some feel smug because apparently it IS about the free drinks for those that still have CL privileges. Sailer is only 1 cruise point away from being just Diamond and is most vocal unlike 99.5% of other Diamond plus posters that have class, graciousness and the intellect to keep their mouths shut on a subject that does not pertain to them.

Some posters claim to have sympathy for the Diamonds yet speak differently. Having been "trained" to see both sides of an issue they continue to argue both sides which is just bizarre to me. :confused:

I find your comments to be even handed and fair Dhaden.

No..we book the VOYAGER of the SEAS because it is based out of Galveston, and, our cruising friends live near there.

I enjoy (ed) the Concierge Lounge that ship has (had) for us.

Susan does not drink but, she enjoyed the CL every evening as I did,

for the socializing with our C.C. friends. Alot of us met there at 5 PM before our early dinner seatings.

We booked a b-2-b for next January because we did not care for 7 day cruises...we prefer more time at sea..so, we did a b-2-b VOS booking

next January. We booked those cruises before the recent cuts of

Diamond amenities. Whether we will hold on to those 2 cruises

remains to be seen. We might do something else next January.

Oh gotta ya! I misread your post then. Sounded like you were booking the Voyager for the CL access.

You could always look into other cruiselines or land vacations also. You still have some time to think about it before final payment is due. :)

Dhaden, some posters like to mock, taunt and generalize. After just making Diamond plus, some posters blame Diamonds alone for their losing the CL because of supposed abuse of priviliges. Repeatedly stating that it is about "free drinks" makes some feel smug because apparently it IS about the free drinks for those that still have CL privileges. Sailer is only 1 cruise point away from being just Diamond and is most vocal unlike 99.5% of other Diamond plus posters that have class, graciousness and the intellect to keep their mouths shut on a subject that does not pertain to them.

Some posters claim to have sympathy for the Diamonds yet speak differently. Having been "trained" to see both sides of an issue they continue to argue both sides which is just bizarre to me. :confused:

I find your comments to be even handed and fair Dhaden.

Because I have shares in this Company!!! I have a vested interest. And it is just a few who are winding everyone up - some like you, just don't like it when anyone has another opinion!!!

I DO see both sides. I think RCCL are damned if they do and damned if they don't. I will repeat, it is a Corporation, they are not our best friends and will do what they think is in the best interest of the Company. We are in a recession - there are people who would give their right arm to have the money to cruise, never mind use a Concierge Lounge which is now under tremendous pressure of excess users, to the detriment of the Suite guests, for whom it was originally intended. As far as I am aware, it is the only cruiseline CL which admits guests other than those in Suites. Perhaps it was a mistake to do this in the first place, but it is their right, as stated in the contract, to rescind the facility.

It is your right to complain and mine to reply - and you won't shut me up with insults!! Making you look small anyway, as everyone knows the CL is overcrowded during free drinks and not at any other time. I could have pretended to be Diamond, but I am not, although when this started, I was not aware that we had reached +!!!

And instead of writing and insulting anyone, I took action on behalf of Diamonds, although the powers-that-be had had the foresight to provide me with CL cards - I could have just kept quiet and enjoyed the peace and quiet in the Lounge, but I didn't - I stood up for the Diamonds with onboard Management!! In other words, I wasn't all mouth but did something!!

So don't bother insinuating that I don't care about Diamonds losing the facility - you are making yourself look ........well, not too bright!!

Diamond Membership Proposed Changes

We have just returned from a very successful 11 day cruise on the Brilliance, where we met many people in the "Diamond Lounge" on Deck 13. The talk was all about the Diamond changes and how RCI had in effect screwed up or dismantled their loyalty programme.

AS a retired advisor to several mutli million / billion dollar companies, I advised on how to increase profits through customer focus and service. It is clear those at RCI have lost the plot. However they can redeem themselves and regain diamond loyalty along the following lines:

1. Think customer not finance

2. Fight being driven by finance people as long term they tend to forget the customer and only focus on cost cutting and short term revenue. History shows this leads a company into decline.

3. Change the Diamond criteria from number of cruise to number of nights cruised. This shall minimise the Florida bias to the detriment of the rest of the world. My 11 day cruise is classed as one cruise, whilst out of Florida I could accumulate 3 cruises for the same number of nights. This cannot be right.

4. Make diamond membership 10 x 7 nights or 70 nights instead of 10 cruises.

5. Make diamond plus 25 x 7 nights or 175 nights and so on.

6. This makes it fairer to all worldwide customers and the company.

7. Most of us spend a large portion of our trip travelling 3-5000 miles so it difficult to do the 6-10 cruises of a few days per year the Florida customers undertake.

8. RCI has set us all free with this screw up, now we can chose any company without guilt. Which is a shame because I like the Cruise Line.

9. I accept there should be different lounges for those with loads of money in the suites and diamond members who may also have loads of money but choose to spend it differently.

10.The people at RCI who thought up this change need to reconsider their position because the financial well being of a company historically is against them with this sort of strategy.

11.I said enough on this, come on RCI revisit this before disaster strike. You still have time...........

For the record are you all aware that the London Sunday Times reported 22 March 2009 this site is owned by Expedia and that RCI monitors a select group of people to ensure they wriite positive things on this site. I had hoped this was not true but if its in the Times it must be>>>>>!!!!!

Happy cruising.

No, Sailer;

YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!!

You may have a point there!

I have to wonder why another thread was started for this topic? Couldn't your very valid comment have been posted on the thread that is about the C&A benefits? Just curious...

If you check the OP's posts 6 of the 7 posts have been made today and the first was made 12 days ago on the thread that you mention.

Obviously he feels that no one took any notice of his intention to cancel his RFS and his trip to Europe. Well he has cancelled his RFS but not his trip, or his cruise with RCI. If he is that mad about it then cancel the whole thing and take a cruise with another line.

Diamond Membership Proposed Changes

We have just returned from a very successful 11 day cruise on the Brilliance, where we met many people in the "Diamond Lounge" on Deck 13. The talk was all about the Diamond changes and how RCI had in effect screwed up or dismantled their loyalty programme.

AS a retired advisor to several mutli million / billion dollar companies, I advised on how to increase profits through customer focus and service. It is clear those at RCI have lost the plot. However they can redeem themselves and regain diamond loyalty along the following lines:

1. Think customer not finance

2. Fight being driven by finance people as long term they tend to forget the customer and only focus on cost cutting and short term revenue. History shows this leads a company into decline.

3. Change the Diamond criteria from number of cruise to number of nights cruised. This shall minimise the Florida bias to the detriment of the rest of the world. My 11 day cruise is classed as one cruise, whilst out of Florida I could accumulate 3 cruises for the same number of nights. This cannot be right.

4. Make diamond membership 10 x 7 nights or 70 nights instead of 10 cruises.

5. Make diamond plus 25 x 7 nights or 175 nights and so on.

6. This makes it fairer to all worldwide customers and the company.

7. Most of us spend a large portion of our trip travelling 3-5000 miles so it difficult to do the 6-10 cruises of a few days per year the Florida customers undertake.

8. RCI has set us all free with this screw up, now we can chose any company without guilt. Which is a shame because I like the Cruise Line.

9. I accept there should be different lounges for those with loads of money in the suites and diamond members who may also have loads of money but choose to spend it differently.

10.The people at RCI who thought up this change need to reconsider their position because the financial well being of a company historically is against them with this sort of strategy.

11.I said enough on this, come on RCI revisit this before disaster strike. You still have time...........

For the record are you all aware that the London Sunday Times reported 22 March 2009 this site is owned by Expedia and that RCI monitors a select group of people to ensure they wriite positive things on this site. I had hoped this was not true but if its in the Times it must be>>>>>!!!!!

Happy cruising.

This is so spot on that it should be required reading for all on this thread.

The business world is littered with the remains of corporations that have let bean-counters do their bidding for them. This has nothing to do with recessions or world situations. The cost cutting began long before the current economic situation.

And since this poster just left an RCCL ship and the discussion clearly was focused on the changes, so much for the "CC is just a small portion of cruisers--the effect will be minimal on the ship" argument.

This all makes me so sad. My family and I just returned from a RCCL crise 2 wks ago.We are diamond members. We were able to enjoy the CL for the first time this past cruise. We were made to feel special due to our loyalty to RCI. Living in the midwest, it is difficult to rack up cruises. I do think it is unfair that a 3 night cruise has equal value to a 11 night. If RCI added up our sea-nights instead of the number of cruises, we would be much closer to D+.

Anyway, this is the first time in many years we don't have a future cruise booked. We chose not to book another cruise on our last trip when we were told we couldn't combine discounts. What is the point giving a stuggling company a deposit to sit on that we could lose. I felt RCCL was more solvent earlier in the year. After hearing about the building of a 2nd mega-ship and the thousands of loyal customers who plan on leaving, I am unsure of RCCL's finacial future.

It seems to me it would be a better business plan to give your loyal return customers more incentive to book again and continue to spread the companie's praises to friends and family.

Scotland, excellent synopsis.

I am surprised though. The cuts to Diamonds was the only topic in the CL on your cruise?

Your second topic was one I thought would've been discussed, too. However, you should be made aware that discussion of this second topic is no longer allowed on CC. Posts alluding to it will be deleted. Posters have been banned for bringing it up. However googling will bring you up to date.

Archived