Sailing the same ship multiple times

Gr101997

I just finished a Eastern Caribbean trip on the Crown Princess and overall loved it. The next trip I would like to take is to the Western Caribbean around November. I saw that the only Princess ship sailing there is the Crown. I dont really have a problem going on it again but my girlfriend had some reservations. On top of getting the bad motions last week, she would also like to get the experience of another ship. Basically what Im asking is if there really is a difference going on another ship or if there really is no difference going on the same ship.

There is a Royal Caribbean ship (Enchantment) for 5 days there but I heard its a downgrade from being on the Crown. Would there be any other lines such as Norwegian or Celebrity that could compare to the service (and food!:)) of the Crown?

I just finished a Eastern Caribbean trip on the Crown Princess and overall loved it. The next trip I would like to take is to the Western Caribbean around November. I saw that the only Princess ship sailing there is the Crown. I dont really have a problem going on it again but my girlfriend had some reservations. On top of getting the bad motions last week, she would also like to get the experience of another ship. Basically what Im asking is if there really is a difference going on another ship or if there really is no difference going on the same ship.

There is a Royal Caribbean ship (Enchantment) for 5 days there but I heard its a downgrade from being on the Crown. Would there be any other lines such as Norwegian or Celebrity that could compare to the service (and food!:)) of the Crown?

We have sailed on the same ships numerous times, but we usually give them a break between, at least a couple of years.

Although the ships in each class are designed about the same, we have found huge differences in them.

Case in point, we loved the Sun Princess and the Sea Princess but didn't think much of the Dawn, and we sailed on it twice (gave it a second chance). They all were initially the same, but we found the Sun and Sea we really enjoyed more than the Dawn. And we sailed each of them multiple times. I know, doesn't make a lot of sense if they have the same design, but it's just what we found onboard.

We are more concerned with the itineraries than the ship. so we often sail on the same ship. For insance, we were on the Tahitian Princess in 2006 for 12 nights and 2008 for 14 nights. We will be on her again this summer for 36 nights and in the fall for another 32. After she is rechristened the Ocean Princess, we will be on for 31 nights next spring.

Like Toto, I have cruised the same ships multiple times (see my signature) there are varying reasons for this.

Each ship has it's own "feel" depending on itinerary and crew rotations.

We have sailed the Star Princess 4 times but each time it was a different itinerary. The same is true of our repeat cruises on the Dawn and the old Crown Princess.

Sometimes it's the same ship doing the same itinerary but it's the cruise we "need" at the the time - this is how we sailed the Caribbean Princess 4 times in 2 years in the Caribbean.

What's also interesting is that you can take the exact same ship to the exact same destination and have an entirely different experience.

If it's the cruise you want when you want to go - I say go and enjoy.

We have no problem sailing the same ship multiple times, in fact, although most Princess feel like home to us at this point, it is really nice to be back aboard a ship we have enjoyed before. We know our way around and can look forward to some of our favorite things that the particular ship has to offer.

I would cruise the same ship again if it was on an itinerary that I was intersted in, especially a western Caribbean itinerary where I can play with the Stingrays in Grand Cayman (Cockatoo Catamaran) and the dophins at Chankannaab (Royal Dolphin swim).

I don't mind sailing the same ship. In fact, sometimes it has it's benefits. I already have a handle on the layout of the ship. I do look for different itineraries or at least some diferent islands. In a week, I never get to total do all the things I would like to on a ship, so if you like a ship why not do it again. Unless you get a great price or itinerary elsewhere.

We have sailed on the same ships numerous times, but we usually give them a break between, at least a couple of years.

Although the ships in each class are designed about the same, we have found huge differences in them.

Case in point, we loved the Sun Princess and the Sea Princess but didn't think much of the Dawn, and we sailed on it twice (gave it a second chance). They all were initially the same, but we found the Sun and Sea we really enjoyed more than the Dawn. And we sailed each of them multiple times. I know, doesn't make a lot of sense if they have the same design, but it's just what we found onboard.

Toto - what was wrong with the Dawn Princess:confused: We are booked for a sector of her world cruise in August.

Our first cruise on Princess, was the Star Princess, and for whatever reason we walked off, not really liking the ship all that much. Thought hmmm won't do that ship or line again. Then we got a great deal and went on the Caribbean Princess, loved the ship and said OK to Princess again, now we are going on the Ruby, but when we get on the Ruby we are going to book the CP again because we loved that ship. If Im not careful and fall in love with the Ruby, I may be booking two more trips.:eek:

I think it depends on you. By the way, have done the Western 3 times and am doing it again in a week. Love the Cayman Islands.

Kathy

Toto - what was wrong with the Dawn Princess:confused: We are booked for a sector of her world cruise in August.

Actually nothing. We both could never put it into exact words. We loved the Sun and Sea Princess (two cruises on each) though, which are sisters. Could have been the crew the times we sailed, or the passengers make up (two cruises on the Dawn also)? As said, we never could figure it out, we just much preferred the other two sisters to the Dawn. Not to worry though, I am sure you will enjoy your cruise (could have just been us). ;)

We have done several B2B, as well as multiple cruises on the same ship. Never had a problem with motion as we normally book a mid ship cabin. Even though we have been on some ships multiple times, each trip is a new experience for us as we do discover new areas we haven't visited before.

We have sailed several ships twice, including the Sun and the Dawn and don't recall being at all disappointed in either cruise on those two ships. The dinner experience on the first Dawn cruise could have been a disaster (2000) because our tablemates were a bit on the wild side and if one or two weren't up to dinner, then someone brought another character to eat at our table. We were one of only two couples of five who made it every night.

We just sailed the Crown in March and are sailing on her again in Sept for a much more adventurous itinerary than the Carib--the transatlantic from Southampton via Norway, some islands in the north Atlantic, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland to NYC. I'm sure it will seem like a whole different ship, but at least we know our way around.

Barb

We have sailed several times on different Princess ships (4 x old Royal, 3 x Star, 2 x Grand, 2 x Golden, 2 x old Crown) and we are always learning new things no matter how many times we are on board. We don't choose the cruise mainly for the ship. We do it for the itinerary. We are going on the Crown Princess in September and although it wasn't my first choice of ship I am really looking forward to the itinerary.

We cruise for the "cruise experience", everytime you cruise the crowd and staff are different (well, at the crowd is.) Somtimes we see the same staff people and that's wonderful. It's like visiting old friends.

It always fun/relaxing and enjoying. I love the dressing-up or down, depending on the day and I love the attention!

I love the boarding (just seeing the ship in the distance, gives me goosebumps)/the "foo foo" drinks/the party atmosphere/the shops/the entertainment/the food and the high seas.......It could be anywhere!

We have sailed on the same ships (Grand and Star) a number of times. We have booked a second cruise on the Crown for next year. We like a change in the ports but we also just enjoy the whole cruise experience. The nice thing about sailing on the same ship is being comfortable and knowing where everything is located.

Like the others, I've been on the same ship more than once quite a few times (see my signature.) You won't experience any better or worse motion on the Crown than you would on the Caribbean or Ruby but as others have said, usually the onboard experience can be quite different. I think it has to do with who the Captain and Maitre D' are because it's indefinable: more a feeling and experience than anything you can put your finger on.

I've been on the Sun, (old) Ocean and Sea Princess, all of which are essentially the same ship yet my two experiences on the Sea Princess were much better than the other two. We were on the Sea Princess both before and after it went to P&O and both times, it was a "happy" ship where all of the crew constantly smiled and seemed to be there for us, whether it was someone polishing the brass, vacuuming the floors or getting a drink.

...but when we get on the Ruby we are going to book the CP again because we loved that ship. If Im not careful and fall in love with the Ruby, I may be booking two more trips.:eek:
I'm glad you liked the Sea Princess (CP); as I said above, I've had some great cruises on her and would sail her again in a heartbeat.

The one ship I had several really bad experiences on and hated, and swore I'd never go on again was the Grand Princess. :( I'm still trying to avoid a cruise on her.

We took several long (back to back) cruises on the Regal Princess! We went up the Amazon and back, followed by a Panama Canal cruise, and the Pacific Princess from Hawaii to Tahiti and back. We loved the ships, but because the cruises were relatively close in time, we ended up seeing the same basic show seven times! I was ready to get into the "Night They Invented Champagne" costume and perform! I knew the routines by heart!!! The other entertainers flew into the next port and switched, so they were different. Also the lecturers remained the same on the back to back.

You will also note that the food choices are pretty much the same, if you stay on the same line. Because we sail Princess mostly, I always look for the James Beard French toast! The choice of food is up to you. We took a Holland America cruise that had poor food. We tried it again a few years later and loved it!

No matter which line you choose, have a great time and enjoy life...it's short!

Tortigabby

GR-- I definitely think you will see more differences from line to line than ship to ship (unless you switch to a whole different class of ships like TP/PP).

I have sailed pretty much all of the American non-luxury cruiselines at this point, and I think the most similar lines (in order of similarity) are Celebrity (which may have a slightly older crowd), Royal Caribbean (which may have a bit more of a younger/family crowd), and Holland America (which often has a MUCH older crowd). If you search for the threads comparing each of these lines to Princess, I think you will find they offer largely similar but slightly different experiences (that some people won't notice and others will be up in arms about).

Well, at this point, most of the Princess ships are are more alike than different, so even being on a different ship is like sailing on the same one again. The Grand, Golden, Star, Sapphire, Diamond, Caribbean, Crown, Emerald, Ruby have minor differences, but even some of those are being removed as ships get renovated. However you feel about one, you'll probably feel about the others. The differences now are more related to itinerary, length of cruise and quality of service/food on each ship, which can change from month to month.

I'll go out on a limb a bit here and say that, IMO, those Princess ships don't ride as smoothly as some other cruise lines' ships. They do ride better than the old Celebrity Century class ships (wonderful ships, but ridiculously rough!), but are not as smooth as the RC ships we've been on.

As for sailing the same ship more than once...we do it all the time, and, in fact, sailing on Princess is like coming home again, no matter which Grand class ship we're getting on. We've also spent a total of 15 weeks, more than 100 nights, on those three Celebrity Century class ships that were so rough, and loved every minute of those too. In fact, we got so familiar with those that embarking the ship Day 1 of a cruise was like coming home after a long shore excursion.

There are so very many ships out there I'd prefer to try a different one before I book the same ship twice. I'd love to do another Princess cruise soon, but it seems to be all sister ships in the Caribbean and I've done Carib, Crown and Emerald. I like Princess a lot, but I'm ready for something different. (not enough vaca time right now to try the longer Sea or Coral Princess itineraries)

I'm sure some day after more cruises I'll end up on the same ship. Just not ready for that yet. I've been cruising since 2003 only . . .

We used to love the exploring factor sailing on different ships. It made it all brand new and an adventure. Now, with all the ships in the fleet pretty much sailing with the same design, it just takes some of the excitement out that used to exist for us. IMHO!

I'm glad you liked the Sea Princess (CP); as I said above, I've had some great cruises on her and would sail her again in a heartbeat.

Just can't ever let an incident pass where someone uses the wrong "official Princess designator" for a ship, huh? I swear there should be a sticky that says "Don't Call The Crown, Coral or Caribbean the CP or Pam Will Be There To Correct You".

I did the same ship (different itineraries) two years in a row. I wish I hadn't. But the itinerary the second time around was fantastic. I have been on the Enchantment. It is a couple steps below the Crown. While it was stretched out and renovated a few years ago, it's still not a big ship and lacks many of the extras a newer ship has. I will say this about the Enchantment. We had great service. That was some time ago though.

I think its a matter of personal preference and the reason for cruising.

Personally, I don't care where the ship is going - or which ship I'm on. I look for the lowest price for a solo cruiser in a balcony....those are my requirements.

Sometimes, the "older" ships in the fleet have the best prices....everyone wants to be on the biggest and newest, it seems. So, I find myself on the same ship on occassion and it's simply not an issue. It's like coming home or something.

Archived