The LAFFNVEGAS LIVE From the Statendam Panama Canal Cruise

LAFFNVEGAS

Are they 2009's?

John I will have to let you know when we get home so not to use up internet minutes trying to find which one it is. Unless someone posts this years tile pictures :D But I think they are 2009, I know that when we were on the Oosterdam in February they were still from 2008 :(

John I will have to let you know when we get home so not to use up internet minutes trying to find which one it is. Unless someone posts this years tile pictures :D But I think they are 2009, I know that when we were on the Oosterdam in February they were still from 2008 :(

2009 editions:

2009_LG_Line.jpg

2009_LG_girl.jpg

2009_LG_funnels.jpg

2009_LG_comfort.jpg

Very strange!;) It's on HAL's website as a 2009 issue

I just pulled them out to confirm because I distinctly remembered the design ... The design is correct but they weren't the full size tiles. They are 3" x 3" magnet tiles. They were one of the little extra gifts HAL gave to their mariners that were on their Mariner's Cruise.

Lisa,

Has there been any talk on the ship about the Swine Flu that has hit Mexico and is now hitting much of the world outside it???

Around the rest of the world, the media seems to be going nuts on this with maps of how much this has spread etc..

Wondering if extra precautions are being taken on board, and what the feeling is?

Hope this is not affecting your enjoyment of the cruise too much Lisa...

:(:(:(

Hola Buenas Dias from Acapulco:)

I am in the internet center at the cruise terminal here where it is 60 minutes for $4.00

Tom and I were last in Acapulco in November 2006 while on the Zaandam for our first 10 days cruise over Thanksgiving. That day was much cooler and very cloudy most of the day. Today is very sunny, very warm and very humid. And as I told our cabin steward this morning that it is a big smelly city, it is certainly smelly:eek: This morning we arrived in Acapulco early and at oddly the TV reported that it was the same 86 degrees and 71% humidity that it was in Huatulco;) I am thinking that HAL is making usre it too stays as consistant as the pool temp is at 80.1 :D

I am now pre writng this so who knows what order this will be in this morning. Our thoughts for the day were to do just this in the morning, then go have lunch in the Pinnacle and then maybe lay out by the aft pool this afternoon with a cold Margarita.

Now about the Swine Flu, just my guess is that there is not much "NEW" news so the media is running with this. But yes HAL is taking precautions and this morning in our mail box there was a 4 page phamplet explaining the Swine Flu and precautions and stating that no HAL passengers are in danger of this as well as the fact that the Statendam is a very healthy ship at this time. So other than feeling like I have gained weight on this cruise and feeling a bit piggy we are not overly concerned :D

Tomorrow is the 2nd Mariner Brunch, the first to my understanding was held Saturday and that was for Mariners that had not yet reached medallion level. I believe that since this whole 2nd brunch is for medallion holders there is not a seperate gathering first before going to the Rotterdam Dining Room such as they often do with serving cocktails before hand in the Explorer's Lounge. Unless they are doing something for Gold and Plat. holders. Sail yes I agree that the Eurodam did it very nice with the Medallion Holders going to the Queens Lounge and seeing the Eurodam video and I especially like that they took our pictures with the Captain and Hotel Manager before entering the Dining Room after meeting in the Queens Lounge. Of course I have found that each and every ship do it totally different and that it depends on the number of Mariners. For the first time ever the Oosterdam had to hold 2 Mariner Brunchs this past February due to most of the ship being Mariners.

Hard to believe we are coming close to the end of our 14 day cruise, the time has gone by quickly but we have had great weather and extremely calm seas. Many were taking the excursion today to either do the City tour with the Cliff Divers (been there done that) then anouther group were going to a 5 star resort for the day that included lunch. The cost was $81 we decided against that since living in Las Vegas we do have many nice 5 star resorts and a nice lunch in the Pinnacle for $10 a person would be nicer knowing for sure what we were going to eat :)

I guess I will go check my email now.

Signing off from the Cruise Terminal in Acapulco Mexico.

I just went to the doctor and he told me I had swine flu. He gave me some oinkment and told me to trot off home!

Love ya reports buddie.

Love Val

:D Val glad the oinkment is working, while you trot off make sure you are having a few glasses of something good to drink. ;)

2009 editions:

2009_LG_Line.jpg

2009_LG_girl.jpg

2009_LG_funnels.jpg

2009_LG_comfort.jpg

Darn I do not think it is one of these :( Since I am not in the cabin I cannot look. That is unfortunate since I am pretty sure this will be our last cruise for 2009 and our last cruise in February we definitely did not get a new one. I know that one we go in February on the Oosterdam we had already had several at home of the same. It is unfortunate that here we are almost 4 full months into the year and the ships are still handing out the 2008 tiles.

Lisa, I was on the first passenger ship to visit Acapulco back in late 1963. There was no berth for ships back then and we went ashore in ships life boats, which were just that, long dingys with slats across to sit on. It was one of the most exciting days of my life, we were anchored there for 24 hours. I still remember the amazement of this very young woman as the ship sailed into the bay, the sight of many neon lights looked amazing in the early morning darkness. It certainly was not a smelly city back then, except in the meat market, but I did observe once one passed from the sea front further back the poverty was very obvious. No one back then was begging however, they all had something to sell, very cheaply I still possess those trinkets today.

There you are buddie you have just unlocked some wonderful memories :)

PS the head should read How, how I managed to type Our is anyones guess :-)

Hello from the Cruise Terminal in Acapulco... I think I just missed you, as I've been here awhile checking my email.. My mother and I are having a great time on the cruise, and it's hard to believe we have only one more stop. Honestly not that impressed with the condition of the Statendam, but are loving the crew and staff. During the last week, the elevators have been hit or miss, taking turns being out of order. We were trapped in one for 25 minutes the other day. Our hallway *deck 4* has been flooded twice in the last week as well, so the big air dryers have been working overtime. The only other complaint is that half the washers/dryers are out of order at any given time.

mmmmm.. sounds like I'm complaining a lot, but I don't want to give that impression. We are having a really great time, and have enjoyed all our stops as well. I've also been outside in the heat most of the morning, so am still a bit woozy.... no, I don't want to buy any silver jewelry! Have a great day, and enjoy our remaining time on the beautiful and elegant Statendam! hehe.. really loving this Captain's announcements..

Lisa, perhaps you can do a little detective work while onboard for us. The Oosterdam and Statendam have been chartered for the Winter Olympics, so does that mean that there will Coastal cruises available before and after?

I tried to ask the same of Seattle, but they said no decision would be made until June or July.

Thanks, and be sure to use plenty of sunblock!

David

Lisa,

Were you able to feel the earthquake? Was there any damage or problems in Acapulco?

Bruce

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (CNN) -- A strong quake measuring 6.0 in magnitude struck southwestern Mexico near the resort city of Acapulco on Monday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey

I, too, wonder if they felt anything!

B

I just went to the doctor and he told me I had swine flu. He gave me some oinkment and told me to trot off home!

Love Val

sure it's me but .. what's so humorous about swine flu:confused:

people are dying, the EU has recommended no travel to either Mexico or the US and the stock market is "down" on rumors of what might happen

I just don't see humor by either the OP or those who found it "funny":mad:

Sorry if I have offended you or others. Maybe it is my way of lightning my concern for others. Also myself as I find myself in an unenviable position miles from home....................Also facing air travel and more than just once................................ Of course its worrying for everybody, I guess its my dumb sense of humour and I was sharing it with my friend Lisa, who would have known I was far from serious....................

Monday Afternoon April 27, 2009

Buenas Tardes from Rockin and Rollin Acapulco Mexico.:D

Yes we felt the earthquake. But I will go back to where I last left off when I posted from inside the Cruise Terminal. I spent a full hour on the internet reading email and checking Facebook. Tom then found me and we started checking out all the shops in the Cruise Terminal. I could tell right away that the prices were drastically less than yesterday in Huatulco. These were more of the prices I am accustom to in Mazatlan. That necklace, bracelet and earrings set I saw yesterday on sale for $499 was I found the almost identical one for $130, The last store we went into was called Little Margarita and they have lots of interesting pieces of jewelry and a bracelet that was similiar to one I liked yesterday. But this one was a bit nicer, yesterday the bracelet was $289 today I purchased one for $68 but it was a little bit too big being a 7 1/2 inch bracelet so the they were going to shorten it for me and would have it done at 2 PM. It was about 11 so we decided to head back to the ship so we could go to lunch at the Pinnacle.

Halfway between the shops and the gangway we ran into Captain Frans who was heading to the shops to go and purchase his son a T-Shirt, we stopped and got a picture of me with Frans and we continued to walk back. We then noticed something really strange the mooring lines that have the Statendam tied up were moving and making this strange creaking sound we had never seen that before but thought possibly they left too much slack in the lines. We went ahead and came back to our cabin. Tom and I were both reading waiting for it to get closer to Noon when we could go down to the Pinnacle for lunch when all of a sudden the ship started to shake really bad and it almost sounds like something hit the ship and the engines started to vibrate really bad. I turned to Tom as I was looking outside and said that is exactly how those that were on the Zaandam the morning the earthquake hit Kona Hawaii said it felt. Then I continued to watch outside to see if I could see the water rippling or the small boats that are anchored move but I saw nothing abnormal, but I did hear several emergency vehicle sirens. Sure enough about 5 minutes after that happened the Captain came over the speaker in the cabins informing us that Acapulco just had an Earthquake and that at this time he would not allow any passengers off the ship. We are thinking Oh $*hit I already paid for the bracelet. I then told Tom "told you i thought that was an earthquake, I thought things like this only happened with Rev. Neal on board ;)"

Well we then decided we would go down to the Pinnacle just then Captain get's back on and says that the Port Authorities say that the Cruise Terminal building is safe and would allow for us to get off so we said "cool" we would be able to get the bracelet after all.

We went down for lunch right at 12, today I had a great Blue Cheese Encrusted Filet and Tom had the Burger. he thought it was one of the best burgers he ever had. Of course I had to have my NW 5 Onion Soup. I love that soup. We were enjoying our Sorbet for dessert at about 1:10 when the Captain came back on and announced due to the scare of aftershocks they were no longer going to allow any passengers or crew to disembark. We were talking to the Pinnacle Manager about needing to pick up the bracelet I purchased and he recommended that if they would not let me get it at the gangway possibly see if the Port and Shopping Ambassador could call and arrange a way for us to get it.

A few minutes before 2 we proceeded to the gangway and I told them at the gangway I was aware they were not letting any passengers get off but I showed them my receipt that I had a bracelet to pick up. With no questions asked they volunteered to go get it for me. I was totally surprised. One of the Security men took my receipt and my Drivers License and I told him which shop it was in the terminal. Within a few minutes he was back with a little festive jewelry bag with my new bracelet in it. I thanked him several times. That is definitely going above and beyound the call of duty.

Update...as I am writing this at 2:45 Captain again came back on to announce that they were once again allowing passengers to disembark here in Acapulco. The safety of his passengers is his first concern. He apologized for the inconvience. There was no reason for him to apologize. He has so much on his shoulders to take care of his passengers and I give so much credit for the fantastic job that the Captain and HAL does.

Tom and I are staying right here on board and will relax and read for awhile. I am sure todays excitement of the earthquake could give tonight's comedian some extra material.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Statendam.

... all of a sudden the ship started to shake really bad and it almost sounds like something hit the ship and the engines started to vibrate really bad. I turned to Tom as I was looking outside and said that is exactly how those that were on the Zaandam the morning the earthquake hit Kona Hawaii said it felt. Then I continued to watch outside to see if I could see the water rippling or the small boats that are anchored move but I saw nothing abnormal, but I did hear several emergency vehicle sirens. Sure enough about 5 minutes after that happened the Captain came over the speaker in the cabins informing us that Acapulco just had an Earthquake and that at this time he would not allow any passengers off the ship. We are thinking Oh $*hit I already paid for the bracelet. I then told Tom "told you i thought that was an earthquake, I thought things like this only happened with Rev. Neal on board ;)"

LOL!

Hardy har har!

See ... it's not just me! :D

Glad you're ok. As I said on Facebook, please continue to stay away from pigs!!! :D

I'm glad you were able to get your bracelet! I was sitting in the Crows Nest with my book when the ship began to shake like crazy. It seriously sounded and felt like they had started the engines and were trying to leave the pier without letting go the ropes. The announcements have been very good, and I agree that the Captain should not have to apologize. I've just come back to the cruise terminal after lunch and a nice nap. I was once again trapped in an elevator this afternoon, this time with 4 other people. After using the emergency intercom, we were released about 7 minutes later (just seems longer when you're in that little elevator). I'm going to start taking the stairs more often.

...all of a sudden the ship started to shake really bad and it almost sounds like something hit the ship and the engines started to vibrate really bad.

Maybe felt as if the ship was breaking apart? That's how I thought it felt when the earthquake hit Kona. The only time I've ever been truly afraid on a ship---including when "The wave" hit in '03. :eek:

Archived