The LAFFNVEGAS LIVE From the Statendam Panama Canal Cruise

LAFFNVEGAS

Wednesday Afternoon April 29th, 2009

Thought I would get a jump start on writing just a few lines right now, then more later and will post it all then.

It has basically been a rather lazy sea day and I do not know about the rest of you but I find sea days to fly by far quicker than port days. This morning we got up and I decided I wanted to go to one of the Coffee Chats with Savannah the C.D. that was held in the Wajang Theater because this morning she was interviewing Clint Holmes and his pianist Bill who travels with him and they have worked together for 32 years. Before we went to the Wajang we stopped at the Explorations Cafe for my Carmello Creme latte then went downstairs to get a good seat. The theater filled up fast so I was glad we got there early. Toward then end of all the questions the audience were asking I asked Clint and Bill where they were performing now in Vegas and this next weekend Bill was performing with another group they were calling Three Tenors of Las Vegas at the South Point and I said oh that's close I live at the 215 and Eastern and Clint says "Oh I live near the District" and we joked we are neighbors.

After the Coffee Chat, Tom and I went back to our cabin to read, I had actually wanted to lay out by the aft pool but it was very windy and down right cold so went back inside where I finished up 7th Heaven the James Patterson's Womens MurderClub Mysteries. It was extremely good and I hate it when a series of books are good like this and you have to wait months for the next one to come out.

At Noon we decided we would go to the Pinnacle one last time for lunch since tomorrow it would be closed because they are holding the Suite Lunch in there. Today I had the Shrimp and Crab cakes with the rice that has Pine Nuts in it. That is so very good and of course had to have my Five Onion Soup one more time.

About 2:00 I decided I would go up to the Thermal Suite and start in on the last book I brought with me. When I got into the Thermal Suite it was empty but soon others came up with the same idea. It was almost crowded at one point.

I am now back in the cabin and about to get ready for our last Formal Night which there is also a Black and White Ball this evening. I have kept waiting the whole cruise to wear my Black and White Formal dress. Tom made a comments that yes in fact there is Lobster on the menu this evening but an interesting bit of information. This whole cruise the evening Lido menu has been identical to the Rotterdam Dining Room but tonight it is identical minus the Lobster. So another words if you want the Lobster you must dress up. Oh yes that reminds me of something I have wanted to mention, on Formal nights when when you enter the Rotterdam Dining Room they have a couple of Mens Black jackets hanging there so I guess in case someone does not have a jacket.

It is now 7:30 and we just returned to our room from having dinner. We will go to the 9 PM cast show called "Hit the Deck" then afterwards will go up to the Crow's nest for the Black and White Ball. I am looking forward to watching everyone dance I just wish I could dance. Oh I can dance 70's and 80's fast dancing ( I am really a Disco Girl, you know Saturday Night Fever type of Dancing) but I am far from a Ball Room dancer and have to admit a bit embarressed that I cannot dance like that. I would love to be able to say that I danced with the Captain but I think I will lay low and avoid the dance floor.:o

Hard to believe tomorrow is our last day, and a bit strange for a last day we have already had our Mariner Brunch and since we are not in a Suite we do not have the Suite lunch so it really leaves the day open. I am sure I will have one last time of relaxation in the Thermal Suite. They never did come up with another good Spa deal that sounded good so I will just save my money, although I think I already spent it on internet minutes.

I can definitely say that doing a 14 day as opposed to a B2B 7 days is definitely drastically different. I think that the B2B actually flies by a bit quicker but it could also be that our only B2B was on the new Eurodam and over Christmas.

We will most likely pack tomorrow afternoon, then tomorrow for dinner is the Master Chef's Dinner. We have managed to avoid them on numerous cruises and have only attended one of them and that was on the Zaandam back in November 2006 but I think that we will go ahead and give it one more try since it is the last night and we want to say Good Bye to our great Dining Room Stewards that took such good care of us over the past two weeks.

I just checked the HAL web site to see that they have given a new itineraries for the other 4 ships but all I found was for the Veendam leaving Friday but no changes for the Zuiderdam, Westerdam and Ryndam so looks like they just get lots of Sea Days in a row but then that new revised Veendam has that as well. I had thought maybe they would try to throw in some California ports such as Catalina or maybe up to Monterrey then back tract back to San Diego or Los Angeles. I guess we were the last ship of those repositioning to go to Mexico and of course we did it in style with having an Earth Quake. I was curious to what the Ryndam was doing since if I remember correctly the only port they may have gotten to was Puerta Vallarta, that would make for a whole lot of Sea days.

Our Cabin Steward just knocked on our door that he had a letter from the Captain, the letter reads..... Again that they apologize for missing the call to Cabo San Lucas but based on geography we did not have any other alternative ports. In addition to the various events and activites planned for our last sea day tomorrow, we invite you to enjoy complimantary happy hour cocktails in all our lounges and the Lido Bar tomorrow from 4:30 to 5:30 for our early seating dinner guests and form 6:00 to 7:00 for late seating dinner guest.

This is actually very nice of them, we did receive our free glass of champagne this evening. This situation is definitely something that is totally out of controll of Holland America. I have not heard one passenger say that they are upset with missing Cabo and I honestly think that the passengers would rather be safe.

It looks like my LIVE reporting is coming close to an end and will most likely do one more report to you tomorrow.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Statendam.

You will be arriving in San Diego, there have been 8 reported cases, I think HAL should

maybe stop at another port. There have been no cases in Cabo and I doubt Acapulco has

had more than a few. Did anyone on the ship get the flu while in Acapulco? I doubt it.

Glad you have had a good trip but I sure feel sorry for the travelers who have not been

to these ports.

I am so sorry that this virus has originated in your country, that is not your fault. It is just one of those rare things that happen sometimes. I do have to tell you however that I think HAL is very wise in keeping its ships away from Mexico right now. I am currently up in the US from New Zealand where there are now 104 suspected cases of this beastly flu, all from some kids from one of our local schools who had been in Mexico for 3 weeks, so most of these cases have come from one long haul plane load of people....

The thought of one person bringing such a flu on board a ship is kind of mind boggling and probably even worse than noro virus as it seems that this particular flu is airborne. The World Health Organisation has not given this flu a pandemic status for nothing, I guess, nor has the NZ Govt. made this flu notifiable and put through powers in govt. The law now for this flu is if anyone tries to break quarrantine they can make them.

I hope what I have written helps you understand more why HAL did not have a choice in the matter.

Lisa, thanks for your posts. The pax on your cruise seem to be a rational group of people who understand the need for precaution and they are not grumbling.

I'm looking forward to your reports on how many people wore black and white. I've never been to one before.

Lisa,

Looking forward to hearing more when you get back. The time just goes so quickly.

As far as missing ports due to the Swine Flu, it sounds like HAL is being very nice about it. Even if they had stopped in Cabo - for me I probably wouldn't have even gotten off. Why take the chance and I've been there before and will go again. Maybe there are quite a few on board being this is a 14 day that the ports are not that important to them. I love sea days so it wouldn't bother me much.

Have a safe flight home and we'll talk to you soon

Thursday Evening April 30th, 2009

Good Evening Friends, I write this with a tears in my eye. I so hate the last evening on the ship. It is so hard to describe but I have a feeling of belonging here. Knowing I will be disembarking tomorrow is like a feeling of leaving home. While this cruise was not the best ever it still was very very good. I have said this before and will repeat it, Captain Frans Consen is truly one of HAL's BEST Captain's. My two favorites will always be Jonanthan Mercer and Frans Consen. You mention Fran's name to any crew member and they are all extremely proud to be working on his ship. But over all it is HAL's crew that keep us all coming back.

Tonight was the Master Chef's Dinner and we have managed not to go to any since November 2006 on the Zaandam and will more than likely keep that tradition. But with 14 days on the ship i felt it only right to be there the last night to thank our wonderful Dining Room Steward Ghuru and Assistant Toto and our Wine Steward Leonardo. Then of course our Assistant Dining Room Manager Andy. He has been like a son to us. Our Son's name is also Andy although our son is 5 years younger than this Andy but we have not had an Assistant Dining Room Manager spend as much time with us as Andy and we have been quite impressed. Even the Pinnacle Manager Sanjay came over to say Good Bye to us but we have know him from the Oosterdam several years ago.

As I mentioned we had the Master Chef's Dinner and unfortunately I still am not impressed with this particular event. The menu in my opinion is not great. Tonight was the free drinks in all the lounges and that might have been just a bit of a mistake for me. For those that know me (especially Yummers) you know I cannot have just one Margarita.:D Well in order to serve everyone their free cocktails this evening Margaritas were one of the drinks they had pre made. They were good, tasty, on the rocks and had lots of salt on the rim.;) Well, between that and having a bottle of champagne for the last night I had no room for food. But I did eat the salad and the Baked Alaska. Yes they had baked Alaska but not the Traditional parade that were are use to and last saw on the Eurodam in December. Thankfully they did do the Good Bye Song which I was not expecting and that really brought on the flood of tears.:o I was crying and needing to use my napkin on my face to wipe away the tears rather than waving in the air.

We said our Good Byes in the Dining Room and gave our extra tips. Toto our Assistant almost seemed shock that we were tipping him. Although I have to admit we were one of the last to leave in our section and I did not see anyone that appeared to be giving them anything extra other than just saying Good Bye.

We pretty much did 95% of our packing this afternoon. We were surprised when they wanted the luggage out in the hall no later than midnight. Hey we have been know to come back to our cabin at close to 1 AM and start packing (just ask Karin Middle-agedMom:D)

We of course want to go to the show this evening with Clint Holmes. Which reminds me I do not think I reported on the Black and White Ball from last night. WOW was it ever packed and well attended. Then so many Officers, very impressive. The Chief Engineer Bonifacus Galama used my camera and took a great picture of Tom and I with Frans that I look forward to sharing with all of you.

Today other than packing I spent the morning in the Thermal Suite and pretty much decided that this particular Spa was probably one of the worst run Green House Spa's in HAL fleet. Today neither of the steam rooms were running, the whole two weeks the Hydrotherapy Pool never really had in pressure or bubbles coming out fortunately the water was hot but that was about it.. Many times all the Massage therapists are hanging out by the front desk and goofing around on the stairs. Whenever you commented about something in the Thermal Suite you could tell nothing would be done about it. I feel sorry for any future cruisers who plan to use the Spa for Alaska on the Statendam. I frequent the Spas on HAL ships and most are good, some are excellent and this one.... well let's just say I was disappointed.

Overall this was a great 14 day cruise, as well as being very memorable. Even in the Cruise Log that was delivered to our cabin this evening it listed for Monday April 27th in Acapuloc, Mexico it listed 11:47 am Earthquake 6.0. I am so very thrilled we go this opportunity to take this 14 day Panama Canal Cuise.

I want to thank all of you for following along with Tom and I during the last 15 days. While of course there was no way to stay to only using one Internet package but it was worth it because I took pleasure in providing you our daily activities. We may not be the most exciting cruisers but I am sure that you may have found some things I mentioned that reminded you of your cruising.

We have a 11:30 am Southwest flight tomorrow morning and I expect to be home and mostly unpacked by 1:30 pm I look forward to uploading my photos and sharing them with all of you.

Signing off for the last time from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Statendam.

Thanks so much for taking the time and expense to give us your daily postings. I've enjoyed crusing the Panama vicariously with you and Tom.

Safe travels back home here to Vegas. Look forward to seeing your pictures either here or on the Vegas Cruisers thread.:D

Pam

Real bummer mate, homeward bound. What an adventure you have had. I am on Skpye here in DC, so if you get a chance turn on and lets have a wee chat. I leave for London Sunday afternoon. So looking forward to this one. Of course will see you back on Facebook Also :D

I just spoke with Lisa. The ship is docked in San Diego!

She and Tom are still sitting in their cabin waiting to be called to disembark and head to the airport!

Welcome Home Lisa and Tom!

Have a safe flight back to Las Vegas!

ththexpression.gif

Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Greetings From Las Vegas :)

Yes we are home and almost unpacked. We actually walked in the door of our home at 1:30 and started to unpack but decided to go have lunch with our Son and have just now returned home. Tom is unpacked so I guess I better get going :D

We did arrive to Sun and warm weather here in Las Vegas but sunddenly it has gottne dark and looks like it could rain but then I checked the San Diego Web Cam and it looks like it could rain there as well.

1241197752636524May12009.jpg?t=1241219288

We were in port with the Ryndam on their changed itinerary. CC members George and Bill are currently on the Ryndam so I called George. Unfortunately we had to get to the airport so we were unable to meet up with them which is unfortunate. So close but so far.

1241197752636165May12009.jpg?t=1241219553

Embarkation took forever this morning because of Customs and Immigration Officials. It was almost 10 before we could get off the ship and we had a 11:30 flight. Fortunately we got to the airport quickly and at the right time so there was no line at curb side check in for Southwest and we were not in the Main terminal but rather at gate 2 so again no lines.

I actually woke up early this morning and was able to take pictures of the Statendam coming into San Diego. I thought that was rather fitting since over the years I have always taken so many pictures of leaving San Diego.

I hope to have pictures uploaded by Sunday and be able to share them with all of you.

Signing off from our Home Sweet Home, I will not go as far as saying Beautiful and Elegant ;) :D

Archived