Never been there and I'm never going back!

Karysa

Been there and don't want to go back:

Bahamas

Jamaica

San Juan, PR

No interest in India, China, or Japan. Actually not much interest in any of Asia. Well, would like to see Bali.

With unlimited $$$ the rest of the world would be quite possible.

I was supposed to cruise on the Ruby Princess to the Carribean in Feb, and had to cancel because of chemotherapy. We rebooked for Alaska this June. I am in remission and have never looked forward to a cruise as much as this one. All through my chemo, I read about Alaska (never wanted to go) and spent hours on these boards. Now, I can't wait to see the glaciers and bears and mountains and the glory of this unspoiled region. I am so glad to be alive and able to rejoice in LIFE!

Donder, you're going to LOVE Alaska. We went last year and the scenery and wildlife were amazing. Our next cruise takes us up to your neck of the woods,and if we enjoy it half as much as Alaska I'll be one happy cruiser.

take care

I want to go everywhere, see everything, and experience all the world has to offer. There is a hierachy of countries, but I'm working my way through the continents and if I stay healthy, I hope to go everywhere. I just don't understand those people who have countries they don't want to visit. For me, that's very closed minded.

I'm with you!!!

No interest in Israel. Also have no desire to do a New England cruise. A Marylander taking a cruise to Massachusettes, Maine, etc...doesn't make much sense to me. If I get a strong urge to go I'll drive.

My next cruise I am taking goes to Ocho Rios. Already went there and really don't care to go back - will probably just use it as another sea day.

One trip to Bermuda was more than plenty for me

No interest in Israel. Also have no desire to do a New England cruise. A Marylander taking a cruise to Massachusettes, Maine, etc...doesn't make much sense to me. If I get a strong urge to go I'll drive.

My next cruise I am taking goes to Ocho Rios. Already went there and really don't care to go back - will probably just use it as another sea day.

One trip to Bermuda was more than plenty for me

Don't stay on the ship in Ocho Rios! Carnival has just finished the wonderful Mystic Mountain. You chairlift up to the top of the mountain then you can bobsled and/or zipline, have lunch, and then chairlift down. There's a pool with nice changing rooms and a waterslide. The whole facility is very well done, clean, with amazing views.

I was supposed to cruise on the Ruby Princess to the Carribean in Feb, and had to cancel because of chemotherapy. We rebooked for Alaska this June. I am in remission and have never looked forward to a cruise as much as this one. All through my chemo, I read about Alaska (never wanted to go) and spent hours on these boards. Now, I can't wait to see the glaciers and bears and mountains and the glory of this unspoiled region. I am so glad to be alive and able to rejoice in LIFE!

What a great attitude:) Hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

Jamaica. Never been and never want to go. I agree with the others who don't want to go there.

Grand Turk. It was OK, but I doubt I will ever return. There isn't much there. I'd go to a different part of the country, but not that island.

Miami.

I have to agree with you. I really didn't like Miami, and I am going to try and find a cruise that doesn't sail from there next time. It's expensive, and I prefer people that speak English. Miami is still in America last I heard.

Fire resistent protection on! :D

Thanks for all the good wishes above. Maggie aka Donder1

May I add my good wishes for you, both that you have a wonderful cruise and that you stay in remission! Good for you for getting out there and making the most of life.

beachchick

I never want to go to Jamaica again (well, at least that's how I feel now). My family booked a shore excursion that involved me being able to do a dolphin touch, which I was very excited for:D. But first, we were going to climb a waterfall; sounded fun while reading the excursion description, not fun in real life. The only way to climb the waterfall is to hold hands with the person behind and in front of you, and hope to God your tour guide doesn't leave you in the dust. We fell many many times and I ended up exiting the fall early as I was crying and frustrated because all I wanted to do was see the beautiful dolphins. Finally got to see the dolphins, which was amazing and did make up for the horrible time at the waterfall. Unfortunately, two days later I dislocated my knee right after our cruise ship had docked in Cozumel, Mexico. I was brought to the ship's medical center, given enough morphine to knockout a baby elephant (according to the doctor) had my knee popped back in, had a brace put on, and was x-rayed. I was told to rest for a little but if I wanted to see Mexico, I could get a wheelchair because the crutches I was lent would not be helpful travelling anywhere other than the ship. I eventually got off the ship thanks to help of my awesome family, but I was so high off morphine that I really didn't enjoy my day in Mexico. When I went back for a check-in the next day at the medical center, we further discussed how I managed to dislocate my knee while walking around the ship, and the doctor said it was highly likely caused by the falls I suffered while climbing the waterfall in Jamaica.

I don't know that I'd rule out anywhere....:D

At present, though, I can't say I'd be very excited to visit Dubai. ===> What? All that lovely SAND? :D

Or Egypt...The Nile...

Much as I wouldn't mind seeing the Pyramids

I hear the locals are a right P.I.T.A. while they pressure you to buy buy, tip,buy, tip...

Forget it.

I'll see the Pyramids in my next life! :cool:

Tunisia... Hopefully never again.
How strange. We quite enjoyed it.

We got off at Tunis(the city) -not the whole big North African country which you may have done-

and did the ship's tour out to the ruins of Carthage

and to the picturesque little town of Sidi Bou Said,on a hill.

Probably the nicest part of Tunis, no doubt. ;)

We simply weren't going that far, to stay on the ship!

We had a great time, in excellent weather.

The only down to the whole thing

is the wretched haggling process to be endured to buy anything...ANYthing!

-even batteries for my camera!

Consequently, few people bought anything at all!

Here's pictures of all the lovely stuff they offer...that we didn't buy!

Why? simply because of the awful haggling!

TUNIS-557.jpg

TUNIS-555.jpg

Sounds like you may have done the soukh's? in the city itself?

Bad choice?

Or Egypt...The Nile...

I hear the locals are a right P.I.T.A. while they pressure you to buy buy, tip,buy, tip...

Forget it.

Yes, there are beggers in Egypt, but no worse than much of the Caribean & Central America

Yes, there are beggers in Egypt, but no worse than much of the Caribean & Central America
I was referring to the staff on the Nile Cruise boats who, I'm told,

pressure you to spend your money on silly robes for formal night,

and ceaselessly for tips.

Not street beggars...they're enough of them!

Still not going.

I can do without the whole 'slamic extremist thing

and a vanload of AK47-toting desperado's driving up to spray us.

So kind of them.

Yes I know that doesn't happen but once in every 10-20 yrs.

but it's never going to happen to me. :D :D

Frankly I intend to avoid that whole part of the crescent moon and star part of the world,

until the whole silly religious war settles down

- and that's not happening before I drop off the perch! ;)

I'm simply not that curious or adventurous.

I was referring to the staff on the Nile Cruise boats who, I'm told,

pressure you to spend your money on silly robes for formal night,

and ceaselessly for tips.

Not street beggars...they're enough of them!

Still not going.

I can do without the whole 'slamic extremist thing

and a vanload of AK47-toting desperado's driving up to spray us.

So kind of them.

Yes I know that doesn't happen but once in every 10-20 yrs.

but it's never going to happen to me. :D :D

Frankly I intend to avoid that whole part of the crescent moon and star part of the world,

until the whole silly religious war settles down

- and that's not happening before I drop off the perch! ;)

I'm simply not that curious or adventurous.

We spent a week on a Nile River boat and never felt any pressure from the staff to spend a cent or an Eqyptian Pound.

We spent a week on a Nile River boat and never felt any pressure from the staff to spend a cent or an Eqyptian Pound.
Glad to hear that, and I'm happy for you.

On a Facebook group I run...comments were left

and I'm now taking the timke to look up those comments

and Cut & Paste them in here so you might see how lucky you have been, in the past!

We did a nile cruise in Dec 06...so memory a bit thin.

Its a totally different ball game.

No doubt they are good value for money, when you get the excursions included..

..but you will never know the pressure of tipping expectations until you have been on a nile cruise!

On the positive side they are small boats...probably up to 100 cabins..

.we went on a 5 star one, and would not recommend anything less.

Cabins are very comfortable, and all have a window....although when you are moored up the boats moor next to each other,

sometimes 14 across from the dock, and you get off by walking through all the different boats.

So you get an very intimate view into the next boats cabins unless you keep you keep your curtains drawn.

Food buffet style.

It seemed to start off fairly well and went down hill over the week.

Some of the extra excursions are an absolute rip off, i.e. the balloon flight..

...dont think of doing it through the boat, something like five times the price.

Someone's response to the above:Thanks for your comments Anne, they tie in with what I've read so far.

I've looked at this because my wife wanted to see the Pyramids etc.

but just a day's stop with OV wouldn't really be long enough to take everything in and would only scratch the surface.

Thomsons do something around the Red Sea but I'm not really sure of the sights we would see.

If I did this it would obviously be a "one off" as I guess most of these are.

I'm still not sure if I really want to do this but I think this another box that has to be ticked in a lifetime.

The first writer then comes back:

My friend went on the paddle steamer: got it on late availability for £500 pp..

..only 15 cabins, went with voyages jules verne...worth a look.

I dont think the nile cruises go to Cairo...we did Luxor and Aswan and all the sights round there.

It is worth doing, and there is such a lot to see...sailing down the Nile is really pleasant..

..you just have to keep your wits about you.

Our guide was a fountain of knowledge, if I had paid attention, could have done a degree in Egyptology..

..really too much information! but he wanted paying for it!!

He wanted tips totally over £400 from group of 27,

for spending 4 1/2 days with us...this from the same guy who told us teachers earn £40 per month..strange economy!

We were also instructed to meet him and his partner in the lounge one night to pay £7 pp,

for tips to the guards at sights, and coach driver...again 27 x £7!! Regards,

Oh dear!

Somehow I've got a feeling that this tipping malarkey in Egypt

is far worse than that bartering we've experienced in Tunis.

I guess that there maybe more of a threat here.

I think that those Tunisians we've seen are quite friendly really.

I found it quite a game to haggle and usually walked away with nothing anyway.

Another big con on the Nile cruises is the special party EVERY ship has once in the week..

..cannot remember the name except it begins with a G.

It is the highlight of the week...NOT!!

On one of the trips they take you to a few market stalls that sell the Egyptian outfits (you know the long dress thing)..

..which, funny enough you are expected to dress up in on the party night.

Well I think they played about five silly games in the bar...end of...by about 9.30 p.m.,

and some people had really spent pounds on their outfits!

It seemed to me that it was all a set up to make you buy these outfits at exorbitant prices.

---------------------------------------------

That was the 'conversation' I got my info from. :cool:

It obviously doesn't gel with your experiences

and again I say Good for you! ;)

Or Egypt...The Nile...

Forget it.

I didn't notice this in Egypt any worse than other more touristy countries, except in the (Forgot the name, Al-something) big bazaar in Cairo where the shopkeepers were very persistent--I finally just opted out of that place.

We were in a tour group with an Egyptian guide, and I think he protected us somewhat from this, but, really, it wasn't all that bad and Egypt is so wonderful, it's worth a very little hassle.

On our cruise, as on most, I think, we did have a 'Galabayeh' (?sp.) party one night and although we were encouraged to dress up, we were not pressured at all to buy anything. The 'party' was kind of lame, but nothing to make me miss the rest of Egypt for.

I actually thought the Egyptian people were very friendly and welcoming. This is one place I would love to go back to. Maybe things have changed for the worse, though, as we were there over ten years ago.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Further as to Egypt ... We were there last December ... the pyramids were AWESOME... the haggling was constant .... the peddlers were UNBELIEVEABLE - it just never stopped ... it really distracted from the enjoyment of the pyramids. That being said it was still a great trip the pyramids really have to be seen. Haggling and pestering by the peddlers are just the way things are done there. P.S. I just have to add that Egypt is dirty, very, very dirty.

Further as to Egypt ... We were there last December ... the pyramids were AWESOME... the haggling was constant .... the peddlers were UNBELIEVEABLE - it just never stopped ... it really distracted from the enjoyment of the pyramids. That being said it was still a great trip the pyramids really have to be seen. Haggling and pestering by the peddlers are just the way things are done there. P.S. I just have to add that Egypt is dirty, very, very dirty.

Just curious... I last visited the Pyramids in '96 and they had a strong urine odor. Do they still smell inside? :(