Never been there and I'm never going back!

Karysa

My DH always wanted to cruise Alaska and despite a huge amount of travel and cruising we did, that was one place I said NEVER. I live in Boston and (especially this year) have had more than my share of ice and snow. :eek: Nothing about Alaska interested me. One day I said to myself....... He's got rights, too. Who am I to say I wouldn't agree to go where he wants to go. So I told him I would put a smile on my face and we would go. The terms were he should book every excursion that interested him and I'd join him on some but not all. We were 'good to go' and off we went.

It was one of our best cruise out of nearly 100 or so and we both absolutely loved every minutes of it. I thanked my DH time and again for getting us to Alaska.

He became very ill soon after and has since passed away. I am so grateful we had that cruise.... I so often remember how happy we were to be there.... how much we enjoyed ourselves.

Go..... wherever it is you want to visit. Just Go!

Love this post, thank you, sail7seas.

I hate to say it because I'm sure I'll get flamed...But I have no intentions on ever going to Alaska...or anywhere else on vacation where the temp is below 80 degrees.

Same here. After 18-19 cruises, I can honestly say that Alaska is NOT on my bucket list. Vacation, for me, doesn't include a coat. I'm in the minority, but JMHO.

I don't think there is anywhere that I have absolutely no desire to go to, but there are a LOT of places I would want to visit other then by cruise to because it would not afford the length of time I would want to stay in a particular port/city/region.

We would never rule out anywhere.

The only places we will not cruise to again are the places we have already cruised to and even then who knows.

I could never be the type of person that kept doing the same Caribbean journey twice a year.

I would if only to get away from the ice and snow. In fact I would live on ship if I can convince the DW to sell up.

I don't think there is anywhere that I have absolutely no desire to go to, but there are a LOT of places I would want to visit other then by cruise to because it would not afford the length of time I would want to stay in a particular port/city/region.

Hubby and I still like occasional cruising for inexpensive "us" time and relaxation but do more land-based traveling now. Going to the Galapagos soon with a couple days of days in Quito prior to the islands.

We still don't have much interest in further travel to Europe but don't rule out select places there.

We still have a love for far-flung places. We'll return to Antarctica, Australia and Africa, our fave places by far and we keep adding places to our second bucket list. I want to to go to Mongolia, Iceland, Kiribati, Niue, etc. Fortunately, my husband will go anywhere!

Love this updated thread!!! As Susan Sontag said, "I haven't been everywere, but it's on my list."

Edited by Bookish Angel

I wouldn't rule out any place that I haven't visited yet but what I love about cruising is finding places that you would never have gone if it hadn't been for a cruise. The one that comes to mind for me is Roatan. I frankly didn't know it existed until our first cruise. It has turned out to be one of our favorite ports. We talk about the incredible shore snorkeling and dreamed about going back one day. In 47 days we'll be back.

I wouldn't rule out any place that I haven't visited yet but what I love about cruising is finding places that you would never have gone if it hadn't been for a cruise. The one that comes to mind for me is Roatan. I frankly didn't know it existed until our first cruise. It has turned out to be one of our favorite ports. We talk about the incredible shore snorkeling and dreamed about going back one day. In 47 days we'll be back.

Have fun and enjoy.

We'd also prefer a land vacation to Australia or New Zealand, but a cruise can take you to more places than a land trip would do. A good compromise is a few more land days, both pre and post cruise.

This our plan for our 10th wedding anniversary.

While I'd like to cruise the world, I will not go anywhere that is currently listed as unsafe by the US State Department.

Thanks! Wasn't even aware this existed, happy to see that none of the countries on our upcoming trip are listed there!

less than zero desire to do Europe.

Europe was not on my list until I was pushing 50. Never thought that I was mature enough for it until then.:D I have done two cruises and a land vacation there since 2011 and can't wait to go back again.

Curious as to why you have no desire to do Europe?

I, for one, love traveling to Europe. Both west and eastern Europe are filled with so much history and I find the peoples quite warm and inviting especially when talking about their home countries.

......p.s.......God save the Queen..........:)

My DH always wanted to cruise Alaska and despite a huge amount of travel and cruising we did, that was one place I said NEVER. I live in Boston and (especially this year) have had more than my share of ice and snow. :eek: Nothing about Alaska interested me. One day I said to myself....... He's got rights, too. Who am I to say I wouldn't agree to go where he wants to go. So I told him I would put a smile on my face and we would go. The terms were he should book every excursion that interested him and I'd join him on some but not all. We were 'good to go' and off we went.

It was one of our best cruise out of nearly 100 or so and we both absolutely loved every minutes of it. I thanked my DH time and again for getting us to Alaska.

He became very ill soon after and has since passed away. I am so grateful we had that cruise.... I so often remember how happy we were to be there.... how much we enjoyed ourselves.

Go..... wherever it is you want to visit. Just Go!

Your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your story! :)

Never wanted to do a CA Coastal because we can drive to any of the ports in, at most, 6-7 hours.

Mom just found a great deal for one leaving in two weeks so off we go.

(Does this count?)

Never wanted to do a CA Coastal because we can drive to any of the ports in, at most, 6-7 hours.

Mom just found a great deal for one leaving in two weeks so off we go.

(Does this count?)

Of course that counts and it brings up a good point. If the price was right and you had the time would you put any of your no goes back onto the list of possibilities? I think that I would unless the ports were on my too dangerous for me list or I don't agree with the political stance of the country list.

I have absolutely no desire to go to the Caribbean. And most of Europe is a no go for me, although I would like to go back to Italy and spend more time. My dear departed DH did not like most of Europe, although he could tolerate the UK, Switzerland and parts of Germany. But he loved Amsterdam and we went at least every other year.

Literally been around the world twice, been to all 7 continents and the places I find most fascinating are way, way off the beaten path, so no cruise ship is likely to take me there.

We still have a love for far-flung places. We'll return to Antarctica, Australia and Africa, our fave places by far and we keep adding places to our second bucket list. I want to to go to Mongolia, Iceland, Kiribati, Niue, etc. Fortunately, my husband will go anywhere!

Just a couple of suggestions. Take the Trans-Siberian RR to Mongolia. We did it a few years ago from Vladivostok to Moscow with the side detour to Mongolia. Just the regular trains-did book private compartments but compared to the "tourist" trains, the price was about a 1/6 of the price. Included meals and beer. I booked everything myself with a lot of help from the Seat61 website. GREAT service particularly on the Chinese train from Ulan Baateor back to Irkusk to get back on the Trans Siberian to Moscow. Spent almost 3 days there-truly a different experience. They had NOTHING as far as technology until 1995-just a few phone lines. So Microsoft went in and put everything state of the art. There is a large Microsoft tech center connected with their University. Amazing to be out in a ger (tent like) in Mongolia and have very fast internet.

And November 2013, I booked a package tour to Iceland to see the Northern lights. I had been to Iceland before (fluke airline pricing which allowed people to buy tickets for $61.00 RT). The entire tour and air from JFK was just slightly over $1100. Included 3 nights hotel (hotels in Iceland are EXPENSIVE) and a tour every day. You could pick which tour you wanted-days to go see the scenery and geysers or nights for the Northern Lights.

There are a couple of large tour agencies that have these package tours as well as Icelandic airlines. So that gets you to Iceland pretty darn cheap. Enjoy!!!

I would have to put Israel, Ephesus, etc. on my list. Even though my wife is Jewish and has a cousin in Israel, I have experienced tourism where religious tourism is also around. Even though I am sure that the locations are beautiful and historic, having people on the cruise or tour who are only there for the religious experience seems to be depressing to me. I just don't understand why they would go halfway around the world to see a place where a man was killed 2000 years ago.

That is just my personal opinion. I know some will differ, and that is your right. Me, give me a scenery and good food and happy passengers, and I will be happy.

Edited by mapsmith

I would have to put Israel, Ephesus, etc. on my list. Even though my wife is Jewish and has a cousin in Israel, I have experienced tourism where religious tourism is also around. Even though I am sure that the locations are beautiful and historic, having people on the cruise or tour who are only there for the religious experience seems to be depressing to me. I just don't understand why they would go halfway around the world to see a place where a man was killed 2000 years ago.

That is just my personal opinion. I know some will differ, and that is your right. Me, give me a scenery and good food and happy passengers, and I will be happy.

If the only thing stopping you is a fear of sharing the experience with others who are there for religious reasons, you shouldn't worry. I am not particularly interested in the religious aspects of these places, but I was able to locate an excellent private guide in Israel who was able to take me to many places with a great deal of history (that occasionally intersected with religion, but wasn't a major theme). For example, the Crusader city of Akko, the Roman-era city of Caesarea with its beautiful aqueduct along the beach, etc.

At Ephesus, the majority of tourists are there to see the ruins, not for any religious reason but mainly because they are gorgeous and give a very good idea of what life in the city was like (particularly the Terrace Houses). I've taken 3 tours of the site (1 ship tour and 2 private tours) and on none of them was the religious association given more than a passing mention (after all, it is historical as well...)

Of course, if there are other reasons for not going, you have every right to decide what you want to do. But I'd hate for you to miss these wonderful places if that is your only fear.

Edited by cruisemom42